2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I also just wanted to chime in and say when I went through the process two years ago, I actually matched to my first choice and I STILL felt a rollercoaster of emotions for a couple days - the "reality sets in" feeling is wild, even if it's a good outcome. So I hope ALL of you are being compassionate with yourselves and tolerant of that crazy crazy feelings rush. Open acceptance of your own experience, no self-judging necessary.
I really appreciated this. I matched to my #wandsite and am so excited, among all the other feels. Although the reality still hasn't sunk in completely, I've definitely noticed a lot of feelings with this moment but have felt sort of pressured to only experience/discuss the positive ones, especially knowing that there are plenty of bomb-ass applicants who didn't match at all. You're absolutely right that this whole process is a rollercoaster of emotions regardless of the outcome, and I appreciate you reminding me (and everyone else) that each of our experiences, whatever they may be, are valid and important and deserve to have space made for them. So thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
Truly, such a rollercoaster!! Anyone else in the forum fam match to Brown??

ETA: joined! thank you for those who sent a PM!

The facebook group does not show up when searched so i assume it is now secret? How do i join?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do what my graduate school cohort did - someone in my cohort arranged a cabin trip the weekend before we started grad school for my full psych department cohort. We went hiking and played a lot of board games/etc. while drinking, and got to know each other ahead of time. At least some chunk of us have gone back every year. Best decision ever.

Wow, that's amazing! Kinda jealous :p I remember my cohort made a Fb group to start chatting, and I think I might've organized our first "event" (watching a World Cup game at a bar in our new town)... but this is just above and beyond! :D

I also can't wait to find out who's in my intern cohort!!

Reactions: 1 users
Spent a solid 10 minutes wandering around the halls of the psych building today looking for a "grown up" to tell me if it was okay for me to address my soon-to-be supervisor by their first name, after they signed their email with their first name. Nothing to see here, just a strong, independent woman headed to the ivy leagues

Reactions: 6 users
Spent a solid 10 minutes wandering around the halls of the psych building today looking for a "grown up" to tell me if it was okay for me to address my soon-to-be supervisor by their first name, after they signed their email with their first name. Nothing to see here, just a strong, independent woman headed to the ivy leagues
The worst is when they sign their first and last name. Mine does that. I'm like...well, Dr. So-and-So it is, then...

LOL, I always err on the side of formality, even if they use their first name. I let them correct me if they want me to use their first name. I do worry it makes me appear stuffy and standoffish, though. There really is no one thing that's going to please everyone. :shrug:

Reactions: 4 users

Like Hawkeye said, it's Dr. Lastname unless we correct you and let you know a different name to use.

Reactions: 2 users
Like Hawkeye said, it's Dr. Lastname unless we correct you and let you know a different name to use.

Agreed. While training, I always defaulted to "Dr. Lastname," even if emails were signed with a first name. In my experience, things were actually a bit more formal on internship than during grad school (for a variety of reasons). Although I don't actually know that I regularly called any of my grad school professors by their first names, either.

Anyone else finding it difficult to get back to real life this week?

LOL, I always err on the side of formality, even if they use their first name. I let them correct me if they want me to use their first name. I do worry it makes me appear stuffy and standoffish, though. There really is no one thing that's going to please everyone. :shrug:

It's amazing how you can pretty much predict who is going to prefer first name vs Dr. So-and-So based on character/personality type. I'm sure culture/ area of the country has something to do with it too (I think a lot of places in the northeast go by first names), and to avoid conflict, I'm not going to say exactly what personality types seem to be associated with each preference...but yeah...especially at Hawkeye's and my school- you can pretty much tell who is going to want what before even asking. :rofl:

Edit: I, too, err on the side of formality at first. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
It's amazing how you can pretty much predict who is going to prefer first name vs Dr. So-and-So based on character/personality type. I'm sure culture/ area of the country has something to do with it too (I think a lot of places in the northeast go by first names), and to avoid conflict, I'm not going to say exactly what personality types seem to be associated with each preference...but yeah...especially at Hawkeye's and my school- you can pretty much tell who is going to want what before even asking. :rofl:

Sometimes it's institutional. Also, sometimes trainees have a problem transitioning between first names and Dr. Soso in different settings (i.e., accidentally using first name in front of patients) so it's generally easier to remain consistent.

Exactly, I'd rather be considered the stuffy one, than accidentally be too informal in front of patients, especially when the populations I work with already have boundary issues due to neurological illness or personality disorder

Agreed. While training, I always defaulted to "Dr. Lastname," even if emails were signed with a first name. In my experience, things were actually a bit more formal on internship than during grad school (for a variety of reasons). Although I don't actually know that I regularly called any of my grad school professors by their first names, either.
I had a very different experience/relationship with my advisors/supervisors during both graduate school and internship. I was on a first name basis with all of my professors and supervisors, even when other students relied on the Dr. Lastname approach. Those relationships have continued afterwards as well, with regular contact to some who are now retired for several years or as part of formal research projects. After my training with them, I have become personal friends with many of them, including taking trips together. But I like that warmth and personal nature- I would have been less likely to attend a program that was more formal just because of my values/personality. It always seemed artificial to me that one day you must call someone Dr and the next they are a colleague and view you as an equal.

With patients and students, everyone is Dr. SoandSo unless they explicitly (and often repeatedly) tell me not to.

I had a very different experience/relationship with my advisors/supervisors during both graduate school and internship. I was on a first name basis with all of my professors and supervisors, even when other students relied on the Dr. Lastname approach. Those relationships have continued afterwards as well, with regular contact to some who are now retired for several years. After my training with them, I have become personal friends with many of them, including taking trips together. But I like that warmth and personal nature- I would have been less likely to attend a program that was more formal just because of my values/personality.

With patients, everyone is Dr. SoandSo unless they explicitly (and often repeatedly) tell me not to.

I have a very different initial experience, but similar latter. I started out with supervisors/advisors more formally (Dr. SoSo), and now and still personal friends with many of them now that I am all done with training. All in all, I wouldn't read too much into personality of supervisors based on whether or not they prefer that you call them by their first name or Dr. XX in your clinical training settings. I'd be willing to wager a lot of money that it is a very poor predictor of anything meaningful.

I have a very different initial experience, but similar latter. I started out with supervisors/advisors more formally (Dr. SoSo), and now and still personal friends with many of them now that I am all done with training. All in all, I wouldn't read too much into personality of supervisors based on whether or not they prefer that you call them by their first name or Dr. XX in your clinical training settings. I'd be willing to wager a lot of money that it is a very poor predictor of anything meaningful.
Yup- I'd agree. Probably a horrible predictor because people are more complex than that. But you know humans and system 1 processing - that's the stuff I suspect makes some of the largest impacts on internship site/doc program decisions once it gets to the interview stage.

Yup- I'd agree. Probably a horrible predictor because people are more complex than that. But you know humans and system 1 processing - that's the stuff I suspect makes some of the largest impacts on internship site/doc program decisions once it gets to the interview stage.

Perhaps in some sites. Our rankings don't change much from app review to post interview ranks.

That’s so true! I err on the side of formality if it’s someone I don’t know. I call most of my professors by their last name except the ones that I work with more closely and more on a professional than faculty-student level (e.g. the professor who I act as lab assistant to, practicum leaders who I discuss pt care with). At the actual hospital setting I work in everyone is on first name basis and only the psychiatrists ask patients to call them by their professional names. The rest of us are pretty casual about names.

Sometimes it's institutional. Also, sometimes trainees have a problem transitioning between first names and Dr. Soso in different settings (i.e., accidentally using first name in front of patients) so it's generally easier to remain consistent.
I know this is totally beside the point, but I am a little star-struck that THE WisNeuro responded to my post! You made my day!

That’s so true! I err on the side of formality if it’s someone I don’t know. I call most of my professors by their last name except the ones that I work with more closely and more on a professional than faculty-student level (e.g. the professor who I act as lab assistant to, practicum leaders who I discuss pt care with). At the actual hospital setting I work in everyone is on first name basis and only the psychiatrists ask patients to call them by their professional names. The rest of us are pretty casual about names.
At my hospital, it's a bit different. The default is Dr. Lastname. However, within the context of supervision, some of them insist on informality. In fact, it has been an open topic of discussion as to why some people prefer first name vs Dr. Lastname. It's interesting to hear the explanations.

After all this dang work, I'm gonna make my family call me Dr. [lastname] for at least three years. After that, we shall see. :banana::prof::zip::biglove:

Reactions: 8 users
Perhaps in some sites. Our rankings don't change much from app review to post interview ranks.
I meant more for the applicant, but both are likely true for sites that change minimally.

Out of curiosity, why do on-sites if you dont use the data to make decisions? I mean,its consistent with HR literature, but just curious. Seems like a huge waste of time/resources.

Also. congrats on being "THE" Wisneuro lol

Reactions: 3 users
After all this dang work, I'm gonna make my family call me Dr. [lastname] for at least three years. After that, we shall see. :banana::prof::zip::biglove:
One of my supervisors recommended that (with my character) I should have everyone call me by my first name so I don't get a fat head and start thinking I'm all that and a bag of potato chips. Ha!

...I'm gonna miss my supervisors when I leave for internship!

I could totally picture walking up to my niece and she’s like “Tia!” And me responding “that’s Dr. Tia to you missy!”

I'm an internship supervisor. I dislike titles. I sign emails with my first name. But, I don't actually tell students what to call me. I let them broach that subject on their own.

Personally, I'm a fan of first names unless you are in an interdisciplinary group/meeting or in front of patients. But, I've reluctantly begun to use titles by default to address others, as I'd hate for someone to mistake informality with condescension. Caring about it very much just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

After being fully licensed, I started to refer to myself as Dr. so-and-so amongst students and potential clients (if they become clients, they may call me by my first name or still use Dr. so-and-so....it's their choice). The title is important to me to the public/students because women's accomplishments can be downplayed or diminished at times, and amongst medical doctors, research suggests that male doctors often introduce their female doctor colleagues on a first name basis to other medical professionals and less often the other way around (female doctors introducing their male colleagues or introducing each other with first names happens less often). The title can matter, so I do encourage that folks offer the same title of respect to both men and women, and embrace my own title (depending on the audience) not out of pretentiousness, but desire to effect change in subtle ways.

Reactions: 12 users
I know this is totally beside the point, but I am a little star-struck that THE WisNeuro responded to my post! You made my day!

Well, I guess I should be thankful that no one posted a picture thinking that I was some kind of swamp monster that drinks Bailey's from a shoe. :) I'll sign autographs at INS and AACN.

I meant more for the applicant, but both are likely true for sites that change minimally.

Out of curiosity, why do on-sites if you dont use the data to make decisions? I mean,its consistent with HR literature, but just curious. Seems like a huge waste of time/resources.

Also. congrats on being "THE" Wisneuro lol

It helps to weed out some people that look good on paper, but that you have reservations about. Paper tigers tend to fall apart in the interview. Other than that, it's more for the applicant to make a decision IMO. A few of my rankings changed dramatically after in person interviews as an applicant. We give them an honest view of our site and us as supervisors, and then they can make a decision. It's even more important at this juncture, as there are more positions than applicants, the applicants have much more power in the decision.

It's already known by my two toddlers (ok not so toddlerish)...You will call me Dr. Mommy!

giphy.gif

Reactions: 10 users
Well, I guess I should be thankful that no one posted a picture thinking that I was some kind of swamp monster that drinks Bailey's from a shoe. :) I'll sign autographs at INS and AACN.

It helps to weed out some people that look good on paper, but that you have reservations about. Paper tigers tend to fall apart in the interview. Other than that, it's more for the applicant to make a decision IMO. A few of my rankings changed dramatically after in person interviews as an applicant. We give them an honest view of our site and us as supervisors, and then they can make a decision. It's even more important at this juncture, as there are more positions than applicants, the applicants have much more power in the decision.

Care to share some deal breakers?

Oddly specific, Wis. It sounds like there could be a picture like this floating out there on the interwebs?

Nothing quite like this image. I'm sure there are a few embarrassing ones from grad school floating around somewhere if you ask the right person.

Care to share some deal breakers?

It's not as common as people imploding at the grad school interview level. But, some people cannot articulate basic concepts that they should know by the intern level, despite being given multiple opportunities. Or, I may ask them about information from their publications section and they really can't talk about their work in any detail at all, despite having apparently written an entire publication on it. Or, they may say that they don't believe in performance validity testing. That, and mentioning the MBTI in any positive light will usually get my veto :)

That, and mentioning the MBTI in any positive light will usually get my veto :)[/QUOTE]

You mean other than for funsies?

I love mentioning the MBTI as a non-validated anecdotal measure of how seriously people take themselves and whether or not i could stomach being accidentally stuck with them in a room for longer than five minutes. Good info to have, for sure. #canyouhang

I love mentioning the MBTI as a non-validated anecdotal measure of how seriously people take themselves and whether or not i could stomach being accidentally stuck with them in a room for longer than five minutes. Good info to have, for sure. #canyouhang

I’m also noticing an interesting gender dynamic in all this #unsolicitedadvice. Remember, everyone: TDs can mansplain too.

Reactions: 8 users
I’m also noticing an interesting gender dynamic in all this #unsolicitedadvice. Remember, everyone: TDs can mansplain too.
giphy.gif

Reactions: 7 users

I imagine it'd be more #supervisorsplain, or #TDsplain here. We tend to be good at it, it's what they pay us for ;)

Last edited:
I imagine it'd be more #supervisorsplain, or #TDsplain here. We tend to be good at it, it's what they pay us for ;)

It seems like your site pays you to #TDsplain on SDN, given your activity on here and other threads ;)

This whole conversation has me thinking about what makes an effective leader/supervisor who inspires students and colleagues alike (since I think it's clear we have some great up-and-coming leaders that are soon to be off on internship!).

It occurs to me that if you have to let everyone know your rank and (consciously or otherwise) talk down to people whilst attempting to "help" or "inform" them, then maybe you aren't cultivating the influence and respect you are hoping for.

However, I think we've seen great examples on this thread of how people seem to flourish when they are encouraged and supported. @slaney @Hawkeye11 @ICantStopHittingRefresh @ToneTone @OpalinePhoenix (and so many others!!), y'all are support rock stars! People on this thread seem to flock to y'all for advice, encouragement, and support because of your presence on here. I am so excited we are entering this field together, and I hope that at least some of you are inspired to become TDs one day! I hope we can cultivate the kind of affirming, supportive influence that encourages those with whom we work and train to flourish. #forumfamculture

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
This whole conversation has me thinking about what makes an effective leader/supervisor who inspires students and colleagues alike (since I think it's clear we have some great up-and-coming leaders that are soon to be off on internship!).

It occurs to me that if you have to let everyone know your rank and (consciously or otherwise) talk down to people whilst attempting to "help" or "inform" them, then maybe you aren't cultivating the influence and respect you are hoping for.

However, I think we've seen great examples on this thread of how people seem to flourish when they are encouraged and supported. @slaney @Hawkeye11 @ICantStopHittingRefresh @ToneTone (and so many others!!), y'all are support rock stars! People on this thread seem to flock to y'all for advice, encouragement, and support because of your presence on here. I am so excited we are entering this field together, and I hope that at least some of you are inspired to become TDs one day! I hope we can cultivate the kind of affirming, supportive influence that encourages those with whom we work and train to flourish. #forumfamculture

Aw thank you, you ain’t so bad yourself ;)

However, I think we've seen great examples on this thread of how people seem to flourish when they are encouraged and supported. @slaney @Hawkeye11 @ICantStopHittingRefresh @ToneTone (and so many others!!), y'all are support rock stars! People on this thread seem to flock to y'all for advice, encouragement, and support because of your presence on here. I am so excited we are entering this field together, and I hope that at least some of you are inspired to become TDs one day! I hope we can cultivate the kind of affirming, supportive influence that encourages those with whom we work and train to flourish. #forumfamculture
This is absolutely right. Good leaders provide guidance and exemplify what they're trying to demonstrate, rather than simply saying it repeatedly with an attitude of, "I am the one right answer." And, I think, can find a balance of help/guidance and letting people work things out on their own...and together, collaboratively. I want to add one thing to the type of environment you suggest (all of which I like!) - an environment which also encourages self-reflection AND self-confidence. I am so excited to be a colleague to all of you future interns that I've met on here.

Reactions: 5 users
This is absolutely right. Good leaders provide guidance and exemplify what they're trying to demonstrate, rather than simply saying it repeatedly with an attitude of, "I am the one right answer." And, I think, can find a balance of help/guidance and letting people work things out on their own...and together, collaboratively. I want to add one thing to the type of environment you suggest (all of which I like!) - an environment which also encourages self-reflection AND self-confidence. I am so excited to be a colleague to all of you future interns that I've met on here.
I wholeheartedly agree with this! And I believe that being with supervisors who encourage self-reflection absolutely fosters self-confidence. I also think you made a great point about that balance of providing answers/ hints, and making space for people to solve their own problems. There is something amazing about leaders that make space for mistakes in a way that you know you can screw up and still be ok. (Without being harsh, punitive, or shaming.)

Your comments made me think of a great book I just read by Kristen Hadeed, called "Permission to Screw Up: How I Learned to Lead by Doing (Almost) Everything Wrong." She is a CEO and founder of a company that has this self-reflecting, confidence-boosting culture. It was awesome to see how she implemented some of the things we are talking about and saw great results with the people who work for her. :)

Reactions: 6 users