2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone else literally go without ANY site contact today?!
I haven't had contact with any sites in 7 DAYS so clearly i am about to lose my mind.
also I've only heard from 1 of my 14 sites, so I'm only staying sane because I'm viewing it as a 100% interview invitation rate right now :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Baylor College Medical School/Texas Children's Hospital
-Peds NeuroTrack
-Invitation
-Nov. 21
-personalized email
-Dates offered are Fridays in the month of January.
-Sleep as often as possible.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't had contact with any sites in 7 DAYS so clearly i am about to lose my mind.
also I've only heard from 1 of my 14 sites, so I'm only staying sane because I'm viewing it as a 100% interview invitation rate right now :laugh:
ugh I'm sorry. That wait must be the worst!!! Hope you hear some good news soon!!! Really though, awesome invitation rate =D

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone gotten rejections from Cincinnati Children's Hospital or Mailman Center for Child Development? Also, do some sites not notify if you get rejected? Thanks!

Ha Me too! I am 1 for 1 - if you ignore the fact that three of my sites have sent out emails and my inbox is quiet and lonely. Still no rejection emails - yet. Go team.

In all honesty- I'm terrified for this given I'm a single mother with two kiddos. And I have a good gig right now, daycare and school (for the older and daycare only for younger) so I can work from 8am to 5pm. I mean the school bus even picks up and drops off at the day care center and it's across the street from work. Across the street! So my travel time is 5 minutes... I will miss it there

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

WOW you are a true rockstar! Echo what @slaney said about being inspired by all the parents going through this process... and a single mom on top of that?! All the :clap::bow::claps: for you!! Like many others here, I've barely been able to keep myself alive and going for the past couple months haha, can't even imagine with little ones!

Indiana University School of Medicine was supposed to notify today. wonder if anyone got any email from them

Waiting, waiting, and more waiting. This happened with UAB too (child track) and it was sent out the next day and I was rejected. Clearly I'm catastrophizing...or am I? Someone tell me I am.

I'm waiting for them too and haven't heard anything! Hopefully we don't get rejections from them at like 11 pm tonight :arghh:

Guys. We cleared the 11pm (EST) rejection deadline :clap: Maybe that's good news after all!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone who got an invite to the Charleston Consortium gotten their interview date confirmed yet?

WOW you are a true rockstar! Echo what @slaney said about being inspired by all the parents going through this process... and a single mom on top of that?! All the :clap::bow::claps: for you!! Like many others here, I've barely been able to keep myself alive and going for the past couple months haha, can't even imagine with little ones!

Ha! Thanx for the props... Too bad I can't make this a little more graceful. I'm the crazy mom that argues with a 6 year old and a 3 year old... "No I'm the mommy and I decide what's for dinner!" "But mommy I want pizza"...
"Again?... I give. Sure. Cheese or pepperoni?"

Don't judge me. Lol

Reactions: 4 users
Baylor College Medical School/Texas Children's Hospital
-Peds NeuroTrack
-Invitation
-Nov. 21
-personalized email
-Dates offered are Fridays in the month of January.
-Sleep as often as possible.

I want late night notifications!

In the spirit of getting rejections at a ridiculously late hour (like, no, can we not?), this has also been super helpful to me lately and is by the same artist
6601f2944f21246c4abf6b26603f08a8.jpg

Awwwww I LOVE this :love: Thanks for sharing!

This is great for this process, but also I want to print it out and put it on my future office wall when/wherever I'm an intern (or perhaps *gasp* a psychologist some day... one can dream :laugh: )

Members don't see this ad :)
No news is good news.
It's perfectly normal to not have heard anything today.
One day at a time.
You can do this, it will be...

F(*$ this, I want a gallon of rocky road ice cream and A SPOON. With a bottle of red on the side, please.
Ooooh! I want some rocky road ice cream too now! Can you send some my way?! I've got some tuxedo chocolate mousse cheesecake cake over here. I think I'm going to have to go up 2 sizes when I buy my interview outfit. Oops?

I have many bags of Trader Joes gluten free chocolate chip cookies in the house. Highly recommend. Tastes gluten-full.
tumblr_mxebknzN0L1s0lj7uo1_500.png
Mindy is goals. If you have some gluten-filled cookies, you can send those my way too! :hungry:

All the parents up in here deserve a standing ovation! Real talk, there was a period during the application phase where I wore the same Game of Thrones sweatshirt and ate a grilled cheese for lunch and dinner everyday for like a week....so the fact that some of y'all take care of tiny humans ON TOP of all the stress and work of applying and being grad students is super inspiring. I'd be glad to lend my humor anywhere it's welcome :)
Girl, on point. Props to all you parents. I lived at Starbucks for 2 weeks, wore my leggings/oversized sweater ensemble like every day, and lived off coffee/Publix subs/and whatever random food I found. I don't think any tiny human would've survived me as a mom sadly...

Reactions: 6 users
Ha! Thanx for the props... Too bad I can't make this a little more graceful. I'm the crazy mom that argues with a 6 year old and a 3 year old... "No I'm the mommy and I decide what's for dinner!" "But mommy I want pizza"...

Don't judge me. Lol

I give you props for being the adult. My husband tries to be an adult and make meals and me and my 2 year old are all, "Peetzit!!!!!!!" (Translation: pizza). He ignores me until I'm straight up like, "am I ordering it or are you?" He'll go ahead and order at that point to save a buck cause he knows I won't hesitate to pull the trigger on delivery and he'd rather go pick it up. I'm usually the tightwad, but self control is a limited resource, so....yeah...

Don't judge me. Lol

Pshhhh I'll mayyyybe *think* about judging you the day that I don't have pizza (or similar junk-y food) for lunch or dinner... again. No but really, I work with lots of young kids and their parents, and used to nanny for a preschooler, so I def won't say I know what it's like... but I maybe have some idea of how hard it can be? So I say anyone who judges parents, especially a doc student single mom rockstar ;) sucks!! :slap: You feed em what you need to feed em so they stay alive :laugh: You'll have plenty of time to get to the broccoli and homecooked meals in a few weeks/months! And wouldn't it be funny if your kids remembered this (stressful as HELL for you) period of time fondly, for getting to eat pizza all the time? :hungry:

I give you props for being the adult. My husband tries to be an adult and make meals and me and my 2 year old are all, "Peetzit!!!!!!!" (Translation: pizza). He ignores me until I'm straight up like, "am I ordering it or are you?" He'll go ahead and order at that point to save a buck cause he knows I won't hesitate to pull the trigger on delivery and he'd rather go pick it up. I'm usually the tightwad, but self control is a limited resource, so....yeah...

If I were to be a parent I want to be you. I actually may just start randomly yelling "Peetzit" at my boyfriend until he brings one home.

Reactions: 7 users

Ha! I wish I had a husband or wife... Grad school is a little damper on the dating scene. Just a tad. I am literally laughing so hard!

Ha! I wish I had a husband or wife... Grad school is a little damper on the dating scene. Just a tad. I am literally laughing so hard!

I'm sorry. :/ I'd be happy to start listing his many faults if it would help? :uhno:

While we’re all in purgatory... @Secret CBT Squirrel @Psychchick09 @ICantStopHittingRefresh @thisisaname & any other parents: tell me about your thought process for childcare next year. Are you getting on childcare center waitlists now? (Is that even necessary where you live?) feel free to share your wisdom...maybe we even start our own “parenting on internship” forum & bring @slaney on board to ensure that we keep our sense of humor in tact ;)

My baby is already in full-time daycare so I will continue with that. The tricky part will be drop offs and pick ups if my site is far from home :/ I'll be ranking sites based on geography, otherwise there's a chance I'd never see my kid during the week, Ughh!

Good morning
Let the emails beginq

Geisinger Medical Center
-Adult Psychology and Behavioral Medicine
-Invitation
-Nov. 22 (around 7:45am)
-mass email
-12/14, 12/15, 12/21 (full), 1/8, 1/9
-Naps, netflix, etc.

Duke University Medical Center
-Adult Health
-Invitation
-November 20
-mass email
-January 18

I'd be all over a parenting thread! I have an 8 week old and it sure was interesting getting everything submitted. I'm also relating hard to posts about pumping breaks during interviews. For those with infants, are you leaving the baby while you travel? Taking baby plus caretaker/partner? Dying inside at the prospect of being away from your infant child for days on end?

I’m bringing my twins and parter with me! I stubbornly refuse to be away from them, even if it’s 10x more of a hassle :cool:

Also, congrats on your baby!

I also had complete silence yesterday, but I'm trying to remind myself that every site I applied to has their notification date listed in December. So far, 1 rejection and 1 invite. Seems like a few people have heard back from other sites that I applied to, but I'm still holding out hope!

Vanderbilt University Psychological & Counseling Center
Invite
11/21
Phone
12/18; 1/8; 1/12

Waiting, waiting, and more waiting. This happened with UAB too (child track) and it was sent out the next day and I was rejected. Clearly I'm catastrophizing...or am I? Someone tell me I am.

I'm figuring it was a flexible deadline and they are just late - seems lots of people on here are waiting for various tracks - surely one of us would get an invite right?

-Yale University School of Medicine
-Substance Abuse Treatment track
-Invite!
-Notified 11/22/17 around 9 am
-Personalized email
-Interview date 1/12
-Staying sane: I'm pet sitting my neighbors cat right now so that's nice

Anyone else quickly go from worrying about getting invites (I'm still stressed about this for the record) to worrying about actual interviews? I'm looking at questions to prepare for and suddenly my mind goes blank. Ethical dilemma? No, can't think of one! Etc.

-Yale University School of Medicine
-Substance Abuse Treatment track
-Invite!
-Notified 11/22/17 around 9 am
-Personalized email
-Interview date 1/12
-Staying sane: I'm pet sitting my neighbors cat right now so that's nice

Anyone else quickly go from worrying about getting invites (I'm still stressed about this for the record) to worrying about actual interviews? I'm looking at questions to prepare for and suddenly my mind goes blank. Ethical dilemma? No, can't think of one! Etc.

Congrats!

Geisinger Medical Center
-Adult Psychology and Behavioral Medicine
-Invite!!!!!!
-Nov. 22
-mass email
-12/14 (full), 12/15, 12/21 (full), 1/8, 1/9
-Peetzit and hugging my animals

Reactions: 5 users
University of Albany Counseling Center
No track
Invite via Personal Email on November 22nd
Interview dates and times not indicated, but 2 phone interviews required.
Scheduling for interviews starts on November 27

-Full Site Name: Georgia Southern Counseling Center
-Track - none
-Invite
-Date of Notification: 11/22
-How You Were Notified: phone call
-Skype (cant remember dates) and in person 1/5 and 1/8
-reading all of these posts and knowing im not alone!

Emory University School of Medicine/GHS
-NeuroTrack
-Rejection
-Nov. 22
-mass email; 10:06am
-Focusing on other work today :-(

Seems like this may be a fruitful day!! Fingers and toes crossed for everyone!!

Also, I feel only y'all will appreciate this: Had a dream that I went to my Duke interview and showed up and saw....THE PURPLE DINOSAUR FROM THE EMAIL SIGNATURE. I was shook, and asked someone what was going on, and they said, "Oh, that's Sally*, the administrative assistant who sent the invites and coordinated stuff for interview day!" Sally* IS the purple dinosaur!!! And at the end of the interview day they had a photo-op where you could take pictures with her, mall-Santa-style.

All I can say is now I'm gonna show up at this interview and be disappointed because there's no purple dinosaur and no photo-op.

(*not real name for privacy and stuff)

Reactions: 12 users
Seems like this may be a fruitful day!! Fingers and toes crossed for everyone!!

Also, I feel only y'all will appreciate this: Had a dream that I went to my Duke interview and showed up and saw....THE PURPLE DINOSAUR FROM THE EMAIL SIGNATURE. I was shook, and asked someone what was going on, and they said, "Oh, that's Sally*, the administrative assistant who sent the invites and coordinated stuff for interview day!" Sally* IS the purple dinosaur!!! And at the end of the interview day they had a photo-op where you could take pictures with her, mall-Santa-style.

All I can say is now I'm gonna show up at this interview and be disappointed because there's no purple dinosaur and no photo-op.

(*not real name for privacy and stuff)

-

Last edited:
VA Tennessee Valley
General Track
Invite
Mass Email @ 7:08 pacific with Doodle Poll for interview dates
Date of notification: November 22nd
Interview dates: 12/14, 1/4, 1/8, 1/12

I wanted to remind everyone (and also myself...) that sites, even if it's a mass email, don't alert everyone on the same day -- it could depend on which track you applied to, but also even what rotations you emphasized. The Charleston Consortium, for example, specifically mentions that people hear at different times on their website and my friend who is there confirmed that. ~positive vibes~ and fingers crossed for everyone.

Reactions: 9 users
Rejection Notification

Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital
Rejection
Mass Email @ 10:50 EST
Date of notification: 11/22/17
Interview dates: Don't I wish I knew!
Staying sane: :'(

-Full Site Name: Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital
-Track - NA
-Invite!!
-Date of Notification: 11/23 (10:39am EST)
-How You Were Notified: Personal Email
-Interview: 12/15

-Full Site Name: Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital
-Track: none
-Invite!!!
-Date of Notification: 11/22 @10:35am EST
-How You Were Notified: mass email
-Interview Date: Dec 12, 13, 14
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: lots and lots of Skyrim!

I also just heard back about picking a date for Saint Elizabeths, and was assigned December 8th. That's so soon!!!!