2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sorry! Eastern Virginia Medical School.

Geisinger would be great! I'm would be happy with anything Beh Med related honestly.

Lol I applied to that site as well... Maybe we will cross paths on interviews (if I get any!) How many sites did you apply to? I applied to 21 with beh med emphasis

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Lol I applied to that site as well... Maybe we will cross paths on interviews (if I get any!) How many sites did you apply to? I applied to 21 with beh med emphasis

Guys I applied to EVMS and Geisinger too, but to peds tracks. Good luck to y'all and maybe we'll cross paths!

What track did you apply to at Butner? That's the only site I haven't heard back from! Congrats on moving forward with all those sites! I'm moving forward with Terre Haute, Lexington, Fort Worth, MDC LA, and Springfield. I just started using this site too and found a ton of helpful info on older year posts about the next steps in the process. I saw in another comment you're at a BOP prac so I'm sure you're familiar with the process already.
Hey! I applied to the Inpatient Forensic Track and Chronic Mental Illness track at Butner :)
Congrats on your sites, lots of good stuff coming in the future!
As for the usajobs stuff I'm having previous applicants help me out... It's pretty anxiety provoking but the questions seem pretty straight forward. The only thing i'm a little bit unsure of is the DCT statement regarding completion of the APPI? ... I uploaded the basic APPI with my match number included so I'm hoping that will suffice?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you confused with the USA jobs application part at all? Part of the "selective factor" documents requirement is the letter from our DCT saying we are ready for internship... but do we need to attach that in the USA jobs application, or do they just mean that needed to be submitted as part of our APPI? Thanks for any insight you have!
Totally weird huh? Apparently this is the first time this is in the Usajobs app. Current BOP interns have no idea what i'm talking about when I asked them about this. I'm going to attach the basic appi as part of my documents? it has my match number as well which it also requests that we have included.

Is anyone else actively preparing themselves for rejections? I've already seen that 2 of my sites have sent out at least a portion if not all of their invites...:(

I'm in the same boat. Don't worry, it's still so early! I sent out 20 applications and knew I wouldn't get 20 interviews. The offers will start coming soon! I hope :)

Totally weird huh? Apparently this is the first time this is in the Usajobs app. Current BOP interns have no idea what i'm talking about when I asked them about this. I'm going to attach the basic appi as part of my documents? it has my match number as well which it also requests that we have included.

Did you find that when you went to attach the uploaded documents to the application they didn't exactly match up? Like in the required documents it asks for an enrollment verification certificate from our school, but there wasn't a designated place for that. And I uploaded a copy of my AAPI and it said you could only put one file under the "other" category, so I wound up uploading the enrollment verification under "course syllabus" which isn't accurate. Sigh... anxiety!

Is anyone else actively preparing themselves for rejections? I've already seen that 2 of my sites have sent out at least a portion if not all of their invites...:(

I still haven't heard anything from any of the places I applied either. It really is still early so I'm trying to stay busy and enjoy my time "off" from this process. I am hoping to start hearing from places this upcoming week though!

I'm in the same boat. Don't worry, it's still so early! I sent out 20 applications and knew I wouldn't get 20 interviews. The offers will start coming soon! I hope :)

I still haven't heard anything from any of the places I applied either. It really is still early so I'm trying to stay busy and enjoy my time "off" from this process. I am hoping to start hearing from places this upcoming week though!

Both good reminders - thanks! :) I think my worry stems from seeing that 2 of my sites had already sent out invites, and since I haven't gotten one I've automatically assumed a rejection is heading my way soon. This is exacerbated by the fact that I made the truly excellent and adaptive decision to compile invite/rejection dates for all the sites on my list from the past 2 years so I have "data" to back up my panic. It's really too bad I don't know any mindfulness and distress tolerance skills to stay in the present moment and manage this anxiety and worry effectively...:rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users
Did you find that when you went to attach the uploaded documents to the application they didn't exactly match up? Like in the required documents it asks for an enrollment verification certificate from our school, but there wasn't a designated place for that. And I uploaded a copy of my AAPI and it said you could only put one file under the "other" category, so I wound up uploading the enrollment verification under "course syllabus" which isn't accurate. Sigh... anxiety!
I uploaded the email I got from AAPI saying I applied to sites and a screen shot of the NMS page with my Match Number and wrote out my match number for the selective factor information and uploaded that into the OTHER documents.
I have 3 transcripts (2 grad, 1 under) so I just threw one of them under course syllabus since it wouldn't all match up. It seems like they didn't plan ahead in that regard. Seems like we had similar thinking and that's the most logical way to troubleshoot the user unfriendly site

Hey! I applied to the Inpatient Forensic Track and Chronic Mental Illness track at Butner :)
Congrats on your sites, lots of good stuff coming in the future!
As for the usajobs stuff I'm having previous applicants help me out... It's pretty anxiety provoking but the questions seem pretty straight forward. The only thing i'm a little bit unsure of is the DCT statement regarding completion of the APPI? ... I uploaded the basic APPI with my match number included so I'm hoping that will suffice?
That was confusing. I chose to do the second option they listed: proving I submitted to AAPI and my match number. I just screen shotted the confirmation email from AAPI saying I applied and a screen shot from NMS of my number. I might call tomorrow and make sure it's okay I did that. It would stink to be ruled out over something dumb like that

I uploaded the email I got from AAPI saying I applied to sites and a screen shot of the NMS page with my Match Number and wrote out my match number for the selective factor information and uploaded that into the OTHER documents.
I have 3 transcripts (2 grad, 1 under) so I just threw one of them under course syllabus since it wouldn't all match up. It seems like they didn't plan ahead in that regard. Seems like we had similar thinking and that's the most logical way to troubleshoot the user unfriendly site
Are you uploading official transcripts?? My school has the option to do a program evaluation that reflects our courses and grades...I was thinking of uploading that. Does it need to be official? Also, do we need to upload undergrad transcripts?? I'm finding this process very confusing...

I applied mainly to college counseling centers... anyone know if they tend to respond later? I don't see any on the list so far:thinking:

Are you uploading official transcripts?? My school has the option to do a program evaluation that reflects our courses and grades...I was thinking of uploading that. Does it need to be official? Also, do we need to upload undergrad transcripts?? I'm finding this process very confusing...
I don't think they have to be official. I have official copies of my transcripts in PDF form so I just used those. You can usually get them from previous institutions in less than 48 hours. There's a spot for undergrad transcripts and since it's an employment screener, I think you should verify every degree you have.

Members don't see this ad :)
Awesome-- Yes I did the exact same thing you did! But because it doesn't match up perfectly i'm questioning whether or not its right. I sent an email to the usajobs help center email and am awaiting their response. I hope we did it right! blehhhh

That was confusing. I chose to do the second option they listed: proving I submitted to AAPI and my match number. I just screen shotted the confirmation email from AAPI saying I applied and a screen shot from NMS of my number. I might call tomorrow and make sure it's okay I did that. It would stink to be ruled out over something dumb like that
Agreed-- gotta just roll with this usajobs process that is very "extra" right now. I uploaded a PDF of the basic appi (that has my match number included) so I think this kills the two birds with one stone/document. A previous applicant said the usajobs help center (phone/email) was very helpful so hopefully they'll pet our heads and reassure us that everything will be okay.

Last edited:
Just wanted to post a blanket reminder that those of us reviewing your applications (a general "us" -- I'm sitting this one out this year) are doing so on top of our other responsibilities. But, we remember how stressful this process is. So...if you get an email late at night or on a weekend, it's because we want to get you information ASAP and that's just when we had time for it. :)

Although I think there's a special place in hell for programs that send out rejections on (US) Thanksgiving eve or day. ;) I got at least one of those myself...

Reactions: 8 users
Agreed-- gotta just roll with this usajobs process that is very "extra" right now. I uploaded a PDF of the basic appi (that has my match number included) so I think this kills the two birds with one stone/document. A previous applicant said the usajobs help center (phone/email) was very helpful so hopefully the pet our heads and reassure us that everything will be okay.
I changed my app and uploaded the basic APPI. That makes more sense than my screen shots of emails. Good thinking. Do you know how long until after the vacancy closes it takes for us to know if we're "best qualified?"

I changed my app and uploaded the basic APPI. That makes more sense than my screen shots of emails. Good thinking. Do you know how long until after the vacancy closes it takes for us to know if we're "best qualified?"
A previous applicant said they found out early December... let the waiting begin :arghh:

A previous applicant said they found out early December... let the waiting begin :arghh:
ugh... it doesn't seem like it should take that long. I wish I could just be confident and happy that I've been told to move forward with sites...but it won't feel real until I actually get the email to set up the interview.

Just wanted to post a blanket reminder that those of us reviewing your applications (a general "us" -- I'm sitting this one out this year) are doing so on top of our other responsibilities. But, we remember how stressful this process is. So...if you get an email late at night or on a weekend, it's because we want to get you information ASAP and that's just when we had time for it. :)

Although I think there's a special place in hell for programs that send out rejections on (US) Thanksgiving eve or day. ;) I got at least one of those myself...
Thanks for the insight from the other side! Personally, I would welcome news (good or bad) from a site ASAP because I just hate waiting so much :eek:

Random question: has anyone researched credit cards that are best for racking up travel rewards/cash back? Lol we're about to be spending big money so just wondering if anyone has found a particularly good credit card.. Is something like a capital 1 venture rewards card OR an airline-specific credit card the way to go?? Yay to spending money I don't have!!:D:D:D:D

Ahhh, I guess I need to work on finding another coping thought that's more empathetic to the reviewers, then!

Random question: has anyone researched credit cards that are best for racking up travel rewards/cash back? Lol we're about to be spending big money so just wondering if anyone has found a particularly good credit card.. Is something like a capital 1 venture rewards card OR an airline-specific credit card the way to go?? Yay to spending money I don't have!!:D:D:D:D

The Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite card has been good to us! 2 points for every $1 spent, and you can use it to reimburse yourself for any travel (air, hotels, rental cars, Airbnb's). You can also get cash back with it if that's preferred, though the return rate is a bit lower. I think there are bonus points when you sign up, and I believe the annual fee is waived in the first year (or at least it was when I signed up).

Reactions: 5 users

I have a Southwest card. If you spend $1000 in the first 3 months you get a few free flights' worth of points. And you can cancel or reschedule flights up to the same day without penalty or change fees, so it's good for internship. The $69 annual fee is worth it, at least for our current situation and maybe even after. It's a Visa through Chase.

Shameless plea: Inbox me and I can send you a referral link to sign up for it and I will also get points. Help a fellow applicant. Not spam, I promise.

I'm sure we will cross paths! I applied to 17 places all with a beh med emphasis. I am super interested in treating sleep disorders (probably because we get so little sleep? haha) so most of the places have that focus as well.

-Baruch College Counseling
- email on 11/6 (a friend was also notified on 11/03)
- interview dates 12/8, 12/12, 12/14 (though when my friend was offered interview dates there were other options too)
- staying sane by commiserating with people in my cohort!

+1 for Barclaycard Arrival Plus World Elite. I also have the Southwest card and really prefer the Barclaycard!

I need more chatter here, people. I'm in real danger of feeling feelings or doing work.

Reactions: 4 users
Agreed-- gotta just roll with this usajobs process that is very "extra" right now. I uploaded a PDF of the basic appi (that has my match number included) so I think this kills the two birds with one stone/document. A previous applicant said the usajobs help center (phone/email) was very helpful so hopefully they'll pet our heads and reassure us that everything will be okay.

OKAY- for all of us applying through the USA jobs application. I just spoke to someone on the phone and he said upload a copy of your AAPI, and they are aware that the categories of where we can attach files doesn't exactly match up well and they will check every document we upload regardless of what category we put it under. So that was a relief - basically just make sure you have your transcript, enrollment verification ceritificate, and a copy of the AAPI uploaded somewhere. :)

Reactions: 1 users
OKAY- for all of us applying through the USA jobs application. I just spoke to someone on the phone and he said upload a copy of your AAPI, and they are aware that the categories of where we can attach files doesn't exactly match up well and they will check every document we upload regardless of what category we put it under. So that was a relief - basically just make sure you have your transcript, enrollment verification ceritificate, and a copy of the AAPI uploaded somewhere. :)

I'm going to add this to the first post so that people can reference it

I need more chatter here, people. I'm in real danger of feeling feelings or doing work.
Seriously, dudes. If we don't get more distraction action, I might wind up submitting an application to a site in Alaska. I mean, they get a low number of applicants each year and have several positions...

Seriously, dudes. If we don't get more distraction action, I might wind up submitting an application to a site in Alaska. I mean, they get a low number of applicants each year and have several positions...

"An important asset for all interns will involve being flexible since the Bering Strait Region historically carries one of the highest suicide rates in the nation. Crises are common and interns must be able to address different issues as they arise. Supervisors, however, will insure that exposure to crises is conducted in a manner that facilitates a productive learning experience." -website info for training site

I mean, it sounds like a good time, right?

"An important asset for all interns will involve being flexible since the Bering Strait Region historically carries one of the highest suicide rates in the nation. Crises are common and interns must be able to address different issues as they arise. Supervisors, however, will insure that exposure to crises is conducted in a manner that facilitates a productive learning experience." -website info for training site

I mean, it sounds like a good time, right?

Yep, that's right. You guys have dropped the ball, so I'm just going to talk to myself. :p

Ha, had that thought myself.

What are people's thoughts on attending internship site parties at ABCT--specifically, UMMC, MUSC, Brown? I'd be particularly interested in hearing people's opinions from these sites.

On one hand, it's an opportunity to make a positive impression ahead of interview decisions; on the other, they are not likely to remember you unless you are memorable because you blow them away or make a bad impression by doing something that irks somebody or through a careless mistake. UMMC has invited people to attend their party, so I feel compelled to go to that one. For MUSC and Brown, I feel like it's a situation where you are more likely to hurt your chances than enhance them.

Did you get an invite from MUSC to attend an ABCT networking event? If so, to which track(s) did you apply?

I did not, did you? I've only been invited to the UMMC event. I applied to MUSCs Health, Child, and General tracks.

Haha okay, phew!! I haven't received anything from them either.

You could hand me a stack of cash and a box of donuts and it still wouldn’t get me to stop obsessively hitting the refresh button on my email. o_O

I did not, did you? I've only been invited to the UMMC event. I applied to MUSCs Health, Child, and General tracks.

Does anyone know how invites tend to go out for MUSC and Brown events? I've also heard they have them every year at ABCT but haven't received any info either, but did get an invite for another program. Perhaps they mention it to students at that dreaded meet and greet on Friday morning?

You could hand me a stack of cash and a box of donuts and it still wouldn’t get me to stop obsessively hitting the refresh button on my email. o_O

I have heard nothing from any programs I applied to, not even those "we received your application messages."

My new coping approach is aggressively pretending that nothing is happening. Denial and avoidance feels great. I highly recommend it.

Reactions: 3 users
Henry Ford Health Sciences Center
BMED track
Interview offer!!
Dates: Dec 8, Jan 5, 12, 19, 26
Coping: learning to sew, eating, obsessively checking SDN

Reactions: 4 users

I'm doing it here more than email. I figure, given my application, chances are better for payoff. :p

I have heard nothing from any programs I applied to, not even those "we received your application messages."

My new coping approach is aggressively pretending that nothing is happening. Denial and avoidance feels great. I highly recommend it.

I did some netflix binging this weekend, but couldn't fully enjoy it for paranoia that internship interviewers might ask me the most recent show I'd watched....
"Springdale, but wait! I can explain!"

Sorry, got too excited - this was a mass email on 11/13
Henry Ford Health Sciences Center
BMED track
Interview offer!!
Dates: Dec 8, Jan 5, 12, 19, 26
Coping: learning to sew, eating, obsessively checking SDN

Did anyone get evite to attend an alumni reception meet at the ABCT conference in San Diego? am thinking if I must go or it's something they invite everyone?

Did anyone get evite to attend an alumni reception meet at the ABCT conference in San Diego? am thinking if I must go or it's something they invite everyone?

I think I probably got the same invitation. I am debating going as well - I don't think it's mandatory and I have heard of people purposely choosing to not go to the ABCT internship-related stuff and some who have went who have had similar outcomes in terms of interviews. Mostly, I am debating if it is worth awkwardly standing around, drink in hand, with other fellow applicants since nobody in my cohort are applying to similar sites!