2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"An important asset for all interns will involve being flexible since the Bering Strait Region historically carries one of the highest suicide rates in the nation. Crises are common and interns must be able to address different issues as they arise. Supervisors, however, will insure that exposure to crises is conducted in a manner that facilitates a productive learning experience." -website info for training site

I mean, it sounds like a good time, right?

My exhausted mind read the first sentence as a warning of suicide risk for the interns not the clients...

On another note, I think the Mindy series finale is upon us???:*(

Members don't see this ad.

My exhausted mind read the first sentence as a warning of suicide risk for the interns not the clients...

On another note, I think the Mindy season finale is upon us???:*(

I would imagine interns are subject to some of the same factors that make this statistic a reality...but yeah, not what they were saying. :p

Reactions: 1 users
If we're going to be losing our minds for the next four months, might as well get a head start. :nailbiting:

This is a running list of interview notifications and rejections for the 2018-2019 APPIC internship application cycle. Please utilize the following format when providing information on interview notifications:

Note: Updates may be posted on this thread or sent to me privately. Once invites start to roll in, the goal will be to review and update every night.

-Full Site Name (please use the full name - to keep the list in alphabetical order)
-Track (if applicable)
-Invite or rejection
-Date of Notification
-How You Were Notified (mass email, personal email, phone)
-Interview Date(s)
-If & How You’re Staying Sane

May the force be with you & May the odds be ever in your favor!

View attachment 224996

*Note for USAJobs (courtesy of vegpsych) 11/13/2017: "OKAY- for all of us applying through the USA jobs application. I just spoke to someone on the phone and he said upload a copy of your AAPI, and they are aware that the categories of where we can attach files doesn't exactly match up well and they will check every document we upload regardless of what category we put it under. So that was a relief - basically just make sure you have your transcript, enrollment verification certificate, and a copy of the AAPI uploaded somewhere."

Invitations to Interview:

Aurora Mental Health Center - 11/9 via personal email (child/family track), dates: 1/8, 1/19, 1/22

Baruch College Counseling Center - 11/3, 11/6 via email, dates: 12/8, 12/12, 12/14

Children's Mercy Kansas City - 11/10 via phone call (ped psych track), dates: 1/8, 1/9

Denver Children's Home (part of University of Denver GSPP Internship Consortium) - 11/10 via phone call, date: 12/8

FCC Butner - 11/9 via mass email to complete USAjobs app
FCC Petersburg - 11/9 via mass email to complete USAjobs app
FCC Terre Haute - 11/9 via mass email to complete USAjobs app
FCI Terminal Island - 11/8 via mass email to complete USAjobs app
FMC Devens - 11/9 via mass email to complete USAjobs app
FMC Fort Worth - 11/8 via mass email to complete USAjobs app
FMC Lenxington - 11/9 via mass email to complete USAjobs app
FMC Rochester - 11/10
via mass email to complete USAjobs app

MDC Los Angeles - 11/9 via mass email to complete USAjobs app

National Psychology Training Consortium (Great Lakes Region) - 11/9 via personal email, date: 12/1

Rush University Medical Center - 11/6 via mass email (neuro track), dates: 1/10, 1/11, 1/12, 1/15, 1/16

Southwest Behavioral Health - 11/10 via email (outpatient clinic), date: 1/5

University of Chicago Medicine - 11/10 via email (child track), dates; 1/5, 1/12, 1/19, 1/26
University of Wisconsin, Dept of Psychiatry - 11/7 via phone call (adult track), dates: TBD; 11/6 via phone call (child&adol track), dates: TBD
Utah State Hospital - 11/10 via personal email (neuro track), dates: 12/4, 12/5, 12/6, 12/7

WellSpan Philhaven CBT - 11/6 via phone call, dates: 12/1, 12/6
West Virginia University School of Medicine - 11/8 via email (neuro track), dates: 12/14, 12/15, 1/4, 1/12; 11/9 via personal email (adult/beh med track), dates: 12/14, 12/15, 1/4, 1/12
WJB Dorn VA Medical Center - 11/6 via mass email (general track), dates: 12/6, 12/13

Members don't see this ad :)
I would imagine interns are subject to some of the same factors that make this statistic a reality...but yeah, not what they were saying. :p

If I don’t get matched I will move anywhere. Including Alaska. I am too old to be this broke. Suicide rates and all.

If I don’t get matched I will move anywhere. Including Alaska. I am too old to be this broke. Suicide rates and all.
LOL, one of the primary factors that stops me is that I'm too broke to afford a move to Alaska, not to mention the move back.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone get evite to attend an alumni reception meet at the ABCT conference in San Diego? am thinking if I must go or it's something they invite everyone?
Several sites send these out (Brown, McLean, MUSC, UMMC). They all explicitly state that attending/not attending has no bearing on your application. I'm not going to ABCT so I don't really have to make this decision, but it seems like it's an opportunity to perhaps interact with some of the current/former interns. I don't know how much if any unofficial weight attending carries and personally, I probably wouldn't go. I think it'd make me more anxious than anything.

On another note, I think the Mindy series finale is upon us???:*(
qrzZG_s-200x150.gif

LOL, one of the primary factors that stops me is that I'm too broke to afford a move to Alaska, not to mention the move back.

Broke if I stay in one of the most expensive areas in the US...broke if I go :*(

Lol I looked at the Appic listing just now just to prep myself...did they recently get accredited ? Or those low numbers really from just being in Alaska?

Broke if I stay in one of the most expensive areas in the US...broke if I go :*(

Lol I looked at the Appic listing just now just to prep myself...did they recently get accredited ? Or those low numbers really from just being in Alaska?
Website says accredited since 2012. Honestly, I'd expect even lower numbers just based on location. The application rate isn't much worse than I've seen at sites in the lower 48.

I need more chatter here, people. I'm in real danger of feeling feelings or doing work.
Ha Ha...right? Like seriously refreshing my email is bad enough...but SDN? seriously folks, am I the only nervous one here??? (please say no...please say no...normalize my anxiety...)

Ha Ha...right? Like seriously refreshing my email is bad enough...but SDN? seriously folks, am I the only nervous one here??? (please say no...please say no...normalize my anxiety...)
I'm literally laying on the floor as I reply to this. You're in good company here.

Like seriously - I bought doughnuts for the office hoping I would get some positive internship karma in response....and crossed my fingers that my client would no show so I have more time to freak out. But dang...he showed. I am jealous you can be on the floor. I would enjoy the floor (that sounds weird), like just lay there and just be.

Like seriously - I bought doughnuts for the office hoping I would get some positive internship karma in response....and crossed my fingers that my client would no show so I have more time to freak out. But dang...he showed. I am jealous you can be on the floor. I would enjoy the floor (that sounds weird), like just lay there and just be.
But really, my acupressure mat and humidifier are two of my most prized possessions. It's a good thing I don't have children, because that could get awkward.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely not. I'm refreshing this thread as often as I'm checking my email. And I'm anxious when THERE IS NOTHING NEW TO READDDDDDDD

Several sites send these out (Brown, McLean, MUSC, UMMC). They all explicitly state that attending/not attending has no bearing on your application. I'm not going to ABCT so I don't really have to make this decision, but it seems like it's an opportunity to perhaps interact with some of the current/former interns. I don't know how much if any unofficial weight attending carries and personally, I probably wouldn't go. I think it'd make me more anxious than anything.
Slaney,
Thank you for your input. my question is dies these sites send out evite to all applicants or a selected shortlisted?

Slaney,
Thank you for your input. my question is dies these sites send out evite to all applicants or a selected shortlisted?
That I don't know for sure, but I would guess they send them to everyone. I got one from a site about a week before their application was due, so I'm hesitant to think I'm shortlisted for that site since not all their applications were in yet.

I wonder if these sites know how much everyone agonizes and obsesses over these invites and what, if anything, they mean. Seems kinda cruel if you think about it hahah

Definitely not. I'm refreshing this thread as often as I'm checking my email. And I'm anxious when THERE IS NOTHING NEW TO READDDDDDDD

So a client asked how old I was - I said "above 25" and they were like WHAT? you don't look "that old"....yes I need to get out of the UCC. Like yesterday.

But really, my acupressure mat and humidifier are two of my most prized possessions. It's a good thing I don't have children, because that could get awkward.
wait - what's an acupressure mat? When I think of that, I think of being swaddled (I have two kiddos just to give you context).

What are people's thoughts on attending internship site parties at ABCT--specifically, UMMC, MUSC, Brown? I'd be particularly interested in hearing people's opinions from these sites.

On one hand, it's an opportunity to make a positive impression ahead of interview decisions; on the other, they are not likely to remember you unless you are memorable because you blow them away or make a bad impression by doing something that irks somebody or through a careless mistake. UMMC has invited people to attend their party, so I feel compelled to go to that one. For MUSC and Brown, I feel like it's a situation where you are more likely to hurt your chances than enhance them.
I say go. I don't know if they factor into interview invites, but I kind of doubt it unless you really mess up. On the applicant side, I went to these. I felt like it was a good opportunity to get some questions answered by current interns and alumni.

Also, I enjoyed some delicious desserts and champagne.

tumblr_nuf79bRp6o1tkoiq4o1_250.gif
its-happening-gif-the-office-14.gif
its-happening-gif-the-office-7.gif

I GOT AN INVITE!!!
Full Site Name: Children's Mercy Kansas City (#1390)
Track: Child Clinical
Invite to interview
Notified by Phone: 11/13/17
Interview Date(s): January 8 & 9
If & How You’re Staying Sane: Read my posts in this forum. We're way past sanity at this point (although this acupressure mat is some kind of voodoo magical goodness)

Reactions: 13 users

I GOT AN INVITE!!!
Invite to interview
If & How You’re Staying Sane: Read my posts in this forum. We're way past sanity at this point (although this acupressure mat is some kind of voodoo magical goodness)

This gif is situational perfection.

Reactions: 2 users

I am also refreshing the Match News listserv web interface like a rat pushing a lever for cocaine in a Skinner box. Can't someone at least extend a deadline or something? Or come up with a new track? Or hell, lose funding to a slot. I don't care. I just want some kind of action somewhere.

I GOT AN INVITE!!!
Invite to interview

WhooHoo!!!

I am also refreshing the Match News listserv web interface like a rat pushing a lever for cocaine in a Skinner box. Can't someone at least extend a deadline or something? Or come up with a new track? Or hell, lose funding to a slot. I don't care. I just want some kind of action somewhere.
Haha! What a great description! I am getting the itch to start looking APPIC sites again, maybe I should submit 2 more apps...maybe?

Another fun hobby is to search the APPIC directory for accredited sites that accept students from your program type that have a deadline today or later, download the results into an excel spreadsheet, and then sort the results according to the "last updated" column so that you can then look and see if anyone has updated their listing today.

I GOT AN INVITE!!!
Invite to interview

So an acupressure mat is like scattered legos under your feet but better? Like strategically placed legos. Ahhh I see.

Another fun hobby is to search the APPIC directory for accredited sites that accept students from your program type that have a deadline today or later, download the results into an excel spreadsheet, and then sort the results according to the "last updated" column so that you can then look and see if anyone has updated their listing today.
Wow, now that's work.

Haha! What a great description! I am getting the itch to start looking APPIC sites again, maybe I should submit 2 more apps...maybe?
Don't do it! Notice the urge and resist!

So an acupressure mat is like scattered legos under your feet but better? Like strategically placed legos. Ahhh I see.

Let me tell you, I was so skeptical of this at first, but it is downright magical. I have it on my list of essentials to pack for interviews, especially those I can drive to.

I choked I laughed so hard reading this description.

That’s creative. I don’t know if I can handle that lol. Sometimes it’s a way shorter list than people they’ve really interviewed???

Don't do it! Notice the urge and resist!

Let me tell you, I was so skeptical of this at first, but it is downright magical. I have it on my list of essentials to pack for interviews, especially those I can drive to.

Thanks for the link. I bought one lol. Necks been killing me sitting at the computer trying to perfect my cover letters.

Wow, now that's work.

Nah, it just takes a couple of minutes. It doesn't turn into work until you decide to do it multiple times per day.... :p

That’s creative. I don’t know if I can handle that lol. Sometimes it’s a way shorter list than people they’ve really interviewed???

It doesn't really have anything to do with who has been interviewed. It just gives you a hint about which listings to look at if you want to find one that has extended a deadline or something. You know, in case you decide that you HAVE to know such things before the next edition of Match News is emailed...

I GOT AN INVITE!!!
Invite to interview

Ugh, that mat looks magical, but I really don't need anymore junk to have to haul across the country this summer. :help:

Thanks for the link. I bought one lol. Necks been killing me sitting at the computer trying to perfect my cover letters.

Oh yay!! I hope you love it!!

Tell me if it's worth it...I just might get one.

For what it's worth, I had a friend stay with me when she was interviewing for her medical residency, and she laid on it multiple times during the evening she stayed with me and then bought one for herself!

Ugh, that mat looks magical, but I really don't need anymore junk to have to haul across the country this summer. :help:

It's super light, and you can roll it up and secure it with rubber bands for easy transport. I'm telling y'all, it's some of the best $20 I've ever spent.

Also, to be clear, I do not collect royalties from acupressure mats or anything, I promise!

For what it's worth, I had a friend stay with me when she was interviewing for her medical residency, and she laid on it multiple times during the evening she stayed with me and then bought one for herself!

It's super light, and you can roll it up and secure it with rubber bands for easy transport. I'm telling y'all, it's some of the best $20 I've ever spent.

Also, to be clear, I do not collect royalties from acupressure mats or anything, I promise!

I wouldn’t judge. We all could use some royalties to help pay for this application process!

Thanks for the insight from the other side! Personally, I would welcome news (good or bad) from a site ASAP because I just hate waiting so much :eek:

This sounds amazing.

I relate to this on a spiritual level

James Quillen VA Medical Center - Mountain Home, TN
-Track: General
-Phone call (11/13) notification of interview offer. Will email a doodle poll later this week for interview dates.

Reactions: 5 users
Anybody else perturbed to see sites that you plan on applying to and that haven't passed their deadlines offering interviews already?
I mean, seriously. Hold your horses, people. You've got magic coming to your selection portals soon, but patience my eager training directors, patience...

(not really. I kinda suck, but still!)

James Quillen VA Medical Center - Mountain Home, TN
-Track: General
-Phone call (11/13) notification of interview offer. Will email a doodle poll later this week for interview dates.

What time did they call?? Trying to figure out if hope is lost. And CONGRATS!!!!!

-Children's Minnesota
-Invite
-11/13/2017
-Personal Email
-Optional Interview Dates: 12/13, 12/14 or 12/18

What time did they call?? Trying to figure out if hope is lost. And CONGRATS!!!!!
Thank you! The training director called around 2:30 this afternoon! There's no way they can call everyone in one day, so please don't lose hope! :)

Last edited:

Thank you! The training director called around 2:30 this afternoon! There's no way they can call everyone in one day, so please don't lose help! :)

Just wanted to echo this... I was CONVINCED a rejection was heading my way for Children's Mercy since some people got calls on Friday, but I got a call and an invite today. Just because some people get calls/emails doesn't mean the sites are done inviting! And that's as much a reminder for you and anyone else as it is for me :)

Reactions: 5 users
Just wanted to echo this... I was CONVINCED a rejection was heading my way for Children's Mercy since some people got calls on Friday, but I got a call and an invite today. Just because some people get calls/emails doesn't mean the sites are done inviting! And that's as much a reminder for you and anyone else as it is for me :)
Thanks to both of you lovelies - I appreciate the supportive comments. I'll hold out hope for as long as I can. :D

Its been almost five years and Im back bitches!!!! :) Nice to see the anxious energy remains unchanged since I was following the Ph.D. Psy.D. program interviews......

VA New York Harbor Healthcare System, Manhattan Campus
-Invite
-Mass e-mail, 11/13
-Dec, 5th, 11th, 14th

Reactions: 4 users
-Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center (CCHMC), Child Clinical Track
-Phone invitation (11/13)
-Interview Dates: Dec. 8, 13, 15; Jan. 10
Congrats!!!! I know that invites went out for the Pediatrics track too (someone in my cohort)!