2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Site: Springfield Hospital
Notification: Mass e-mail
Invite/rejection: rejection
interview dates: no idea
how I'm staying sane: Tacos and beer tonight with my bestie who is also applying for internship
I got this one too :/ sorry we both are in that boat

Members don't see this ad.

I understand that the process of extending invites isn't black and white but I do think that there needs to be more transparency. There were schools that I applied to that indicated they had an alternate list and, since this is a stressful time, knowing that is helpful. It would be like if a site offered me an invite and I took two weeks to decline the offer. They wouldn't look kindly upon that. It is just a thought for the future... but, like I said, I know this is stressful for both the students and the sites and there is a lot that goes into these decisions.

I assure you, the process makes a lot more sense when you are on the other side. Remember, most of us are still working full clinic loads, attending hospital meetings, supervising students we already have, and trying to find some time to review apps. After all of that, we have to come together as a committee to make these decisions. If one person were unilaterally making all of these decision, it'd be easy. But, there are a lot of cogs in this machine that need to be moving. I know it's stressful, I've been there as an applicant and I go through this process every year as a reviewer/supervisor. Just focus on what you can control and let the process run its course. Much less stressful that way.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Gahh! I'm waiting for the child and adolescent track here - time to go back to obsessive email refreshing...:scared:

Congratulations!!!!! :highfive:

Thank you! I'm sure they are just starting the invitation process and you'll get yours soon!!! Keeping my fingers crossed! :)

Site Name: Primary Care Psychology Associates (PCPA) in Chicago, IL
Track: Adult
Invitation to Interview!
Date Notified: 12/06/17
How Notified: Personal Email
Interview Dates: Only one: Jan 12th 9am-2pm
Sane: PUPPIES ALL DAY

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    201.3 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: 9 users
I assure you, the process makes a lot more sense when you are on the other side. Remember, most of us are still working full clinic loads, attending hospital meetings, supervising students we already have, and trying to find some time to review apps. After all of that, we have to come together as a committee to make these decisions. If one person were unilaterally making all of these decision, it'd be easy. But, there are a lot of cogs in this machine that need to be moving. I know it's stressful, I've been there as an applicant and I go through this process every year as a reviewer/supervisor. Just focus on what you can control and let the process run its course. Much less stressful that way.

Totally understood. I understand and appreciate what this process must be like for the TD with all of their other responsibilities. What may need to be corrected (and maybe some of us here will undertake this task one day!) are the requirements for when sites need to let applicants know by. Currently, APPIC says by Dec 15 and (correct me if I'm wrong) but I think that sites aren't required to tell you at all (although I think most sites do). If an individual has 0 interviews and isn't aware that they have been rejected or placed on an alternate list it is hard to make an informed decision. However, having the information in a timely manner would allow for a more informed decision. Knowledge is power :soexcited:. I say all of this with the utmost respect and I trust the process... but I can't help but be an advocate when I see change is needed. :highfive:

Reactions: 5 users
I had two sites tell me I'd hear from them soon last Friday...I have a feeling my version of soon and their version is very very different!

Reactions: 4 users
ok, real talk. how do we tell a site that they are our top choice without telling them that they are our top choice?

Totally understood. I understand and appreciate what this process must be like for the TD with all of their other responsibilities. What may need to be corrected (and maybe some of us here will undertake this task one day!) are the requirements for when sites need to let applicants know by. Currently, APPIC says by Dec 15 and (correct me if I'm wrong) but I think that sites aren't required to tell you at all (although I think most sites do). If an individual has 0 interviews and isn't aware that they have been rejected or placed on an alternate list it is hard to make an informed decision. However, having the information in a timely manner would allow for a more informed decision. Knowledge is power :soexcited:. I say all of this with the utmost respect and I trust the process... but I can't help but be an advocate when I see change is needed. :highfive:

They are. APPIC policy states that they must make a reasonable effort to notify every applicant of their status by the deadline. Only sites that offer open houses are exempt from this policy.

ok, real talk. how do we tell a site that they are our top choice without telling them that they are our top choice?

Good Question! Maybe something like, "Your site has blahblah, which is a reallyyyyyyy in line with my training goals" but like don't be too thirsty or excited hahaha

Primary Care Psychology Associates
Peds Psych Track
Invite!! (Praise the internship gods!)
12/06/2017 by personal email
Only one date offered: Jan. 17th
Coping by buying myself a bathtub full of spa products...essential oils, bath salts, scrubs, body butters...all in the name of ommmmmm

Last edited:
They are. APPIC policy states that they must make a reasonable effort to notify every applicant of their status by the deadline. Only sites that offer open houses are exempt from this policy.

Thanks for the correction on that! :)

Members don't see this ad :)

Lolllll with an authentic smile and sparkle in your eyes? Like you’re looking at pizza and beer after hours of interviewing? Jk. I don’t know. That email seemed to be a warning .

Adjective qualifiers maybe? I put a lot of "very excited"s and "extremely enthusiastic"s in the cover letters for my top sites, I suppose the same could go for emails!

* edit: could go for emails or in person!

Reactions: 1 users
Primary Care Psychology Associates
Child Track
Invite!! (Praise the internship gods!)
12/06/2017 by personal email
Only one date offered: Jan. 17th
Coping by buying myself a bathtub full of spa products...essential oils, bath salts, scrubs, body butters...all in the name of ommmmmm

Yay! I was in their adult track as ADV extern if you have any questions PM me!

Wink while forceably holding the parting handshake just a little too long. When they look confused and alarmed, do another over-the-top wink while saying you're REALLY excited about their training (wink, wink) program. YMMV

ETA: Perhaps also hand them a business card on which you've scrawled #thirstyaf across the front in big red letters.

Edited again to add: Ooh, or maybe slip them one of those notes where you ask them if they like you and they have to circle yes or no.

Edit 3: Perhaps also change your Facebook profile pic to their emblem and hope they google you.

Edit 4: Better yet, do number 3 and then send them a friend request. Best to not leave such things to chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 27 users
Fort Worth Independent School District
Invite!! (Texas is warm this time of year!)
12/06/2017 by mass email (around 2:00 MST)
Interviews: Jan. 12, 19, 26

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Wink while forceably holding the parting handshake just a little too long. When they look confused and alarmed, do another over-the-top wink while saying you're REALLY excited about their training (wink, wink) program. YMMV

ETA: Perhaps also hand them a business card on which you've scrawled #thirstyaf across the front in big red letters.

Edited again to add: Ooh, or maybe slip them one of those notes where you ask them if they like you and they have to circle yes or no.

Edit 3: Perhaps also change your Facebook profile pic to their emblem and hope they google you.

Edit 4: Better yet, do number 3 and then send them a friend request. Best to not leave such things to chance.
OMGGG love this so much!!!

Reactions: 3 users

Lololololololololololol

Does anyone have any flexibility in switching their Charleston Consortium/MUSC interview date? I am tentatively scheduled for January 8, but the person coordinating interview schedules said that Jan. 5, 8, and 19 are available. I would have to cancel another interview to attend MUSC's on my Jan. 8 date and am desperately looking for someone to switch. I can do any of the following dates: Dec. 15, or Jan. 15, 20, 22, or 26.

Please PM me if you would be willing to help me out! Thanks!

I was told (and I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread) that Canada has a universal notification day for interviews (I think 12/1). Can we make that happen in the US please??? :)

I was told (and I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread) that Canada has a universal notification day for interviews (I think 12/1). Can we make that happen in the US please??? :)

Yessss!!!!!!!!!!!! Let's make it happen!

"Your site is an excellent match for my training/interests/goals/blah blah" literally I was told it's okay to say "you have exactly what I'm looking for." You're only forbidden from saying literally "you are my top choice" but you're allowed to be enthusiastic!

Reactions: 1 user
But you know if we do this, it means no one hears until 12/15, right? As an applicant who has heard from 2 of 15 sites, I'm cool with this, but I think those lucky enough to hear a full month before the recommended notification date might have a differing opinion.

I get the just wanting to know and I think a "you're a maybe!" email is a good idea. Like, y'all, we KNOW you already sent out some invites, so you're not hurting my feelings by telling me that directly so I just know where I stand.

This is my favorite post on this thread so far.

Seriously though, as far as diet plans: my vet told me that feeding them wet food rather than dry can help, but I would recommend asking your vet how much to feed them (like 1/2 can morning 1/2 can at night?) because it'll depend on your cat's weight I'm sure. But the reason it's supposed to work is that the wet food is more filling/more volume for fewer calories. Added bonus, can help with the dehydration/bladder crystal issues that cats are prone to. If you're already feeding wet...see if you're feeding too much? I know how hard it is to say no to those sad faces (more like demanding meows when I haven't fed enough/at the time he wants).

@domer2012 Yup, that was one of my favorite posts too! I unfortunately don't have feline weight loss advice but 1) your cat is beautiful just the way they are :love: and 2) I'm so glad your adorable fat cat approves of your suit :cat: :thumbup: That's an excellent sign!

Has anyone else heard from RUsk? It seems like last year they took a few days to notify all the applicants

@Hawkeye11 You've def made me laugh before in this thread but this one tops them all! I'm dyingggggg :claps::rofl: Please do all those things and then report back and let us know how those strategies work for you! You know, #forscience

What do you guys even make of sites that sent mass email invites to other people days ago, but you've had radio silence from? Are they just waiting to see if anyone turns them down for the interview first? Are they sending out mass emails in batches for some incomprehensible reason? Do they want to take a long breather before sending out the rejections because it's so emotionally taxing? Am I going mad and need to take a very long, hot bath?

Reactions: 3 users
I just received a mass rejection email from a site that sent me a mass rejection email last week... it is for the same track... I get it, you don’t want me

Reactions: 11 users
What do you guys even make of sites that sent mass email invites to other people days ago, but you've had radio silence from? Are they just waiting to see if anyone turns them down for the interview first? Are they sending out mass emails in batches for some incomprehensible reason? Do they want to take a long breather before sending out the rejections because it's so emotionally taxing? Am I going mad and need to take a very long, hot bath?

I know sometimes invites are sent out based on tracks. I am not discounting any site until I get a rejection, but if I see my track go out and don't hear for a few years I move them down in priority in terms of "holding" interview dates.

EDIT: Was going to change "years" to "days" but realized it must have been my subconscious talking, so I decided to leave it.

Last edited:
Has anybody heard from (or know when we will hear from) Aurora Behavioral Health and/or Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center?

Edit: I realized after writing this that no one really "knows". What I mean is .. maybe have some info based on past years etc that I don't hahaha

I know sometimes invites are sent out based on tracks. I am not discounting any site until I get a rejection, but if I see my track go out and don't hear for a few years I move them down in priority in terms of "holding" interview dates.

BAHAHAHAHA. "If I don't hear for a few YEARS"!!!!! I love it.

Has anybody heard from (or know when we will hear from) Aurora Behavioral Health and/or Lincoln Medical and Mental Health Center?

Edit: I realized after writing this that no one really "knows". What I mean is .. maybe have some info based on past years etc that I don't hahaha
I believe (based on their documents) that Lincoln is Jan 15

Westchester Jewish Community Services
Invitation!!! Wooohoooo
Notified by phone around 3p.m.
Offered morning/afternoons on 1/8 and 1/16

I just received a mass rejection email from a site that sent me a mass rejection email last week... it is for the same track... I get it, you don’t want me

‍♀️ but why? I think that means the universe is going to send you a great invite soon to make up for this. It has to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think someone posted on Monday that they got a mass email invite from the adult track :cryi: Sorry!! I was waiting on them, too.

Edit: I assumed you were talking about Dept of Psychiatry - maybe UIC Medical School is different?
I was talking about Department of Psychiatry, but didn't see previously that someone posted about a mass e-mail. Thanks for letting me know!

I received an invite for the adult track at 4 pm CST today. Otherwise, mine was the same (Dear Colleague)
Some of us are wondering, can you confirm this was an invite for the adult track at University of Illinois at Chicago Department of Psychiatry? Thanks!

One of the sites that's happened to me with I'm guessing it's because they whittled down the "definitely want these folks" applicants but haven't decided for certain who they'll reject. Someone else said this but I figure at the particular site I'm waiting on not notifying people with rejections allows the site to invite more applicants for interviews later if the site itself gets rejected....or something.

VA Long Beach
Track: Neuropsychology
Rejection (5th straight...)
Mass email (12/6/17)

I've come to terms, I was not competitive this year. Just not competitive. Man I'm in a bad place. I worked at VA LB for a year prior to graduate school. Even that experience couldn't help me. I honestly need to just stop posting and go do some internal inspection. Five interviews, and way too many rejections to ever feel good about myself. To anyone that got this one, congrats.

VA Long Beach
Track: Neuropsychology
Rejection (5th straight...)
Mass email (12/6/17)

I've come to terms, I was not competitive this year. Just not competitive. Man I'm in a bad place. I worked at VA LB for a year prior to graduate school. Even that experience couldn't help me. I honestly need to just stop posting and go do some internal inspection. Five interviews, and way too many rejections to ever feel good about myself. To anyone that got this one, congrats.
Hey, 5 interviews is great!! I would say that means you were decently competitive, and it seems like you'll have a good chance of matching! Chin up and focus on prepping for those interviews so you can totally kill it and match somewhere you like!

Reactions: 6 users
Okay, I'm a little afraid to ask, but has ANYONE heard from Alexian Brothers? And what about Henry Ford for peds neuro? It seems unusual that they wouldn't have sent out notifications yet, based on previous years...