2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Starting to wonder where you are from this sounds like my home town ha
Weather man: “maybe some frost next week”
Grocery store: “we are now out of all non perishables and bottled water”

Edit: this is in no way dramatized, this is real life
Oh girl, believe me, I know. My favorite is when the local news shows up to film the madness at the grocery store after the weather report that says there's a chance of wintry mix.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Where I'm from I've heard it jokingly called the Seattle of the north with its rain and dreariness - so that's down by the Juneau area. I'm not familiar with the weather of some of the consortium sites...but the interior (Fairbanks) is like the geographic embodiment of bipolar I. The winters are a dry cold that's perfect student-ing weather and it looks like a postcard all the time when you look out the window from your warm office. The summers are short, manic sprints of dry heat, usually 55-70 degrees but up to 90. It's sunny/clear most of the time in the interior so that's a plus. Who knows about the future but it is on average below freezing for a few months of the year in the interior, down to -40 and -50 below 0. Feel free to save my contact, message me for e-mail address if you want.
I skipped ahead and missed the reference so forgive me, but where is this?

I think it is important to just feel it for a moment. My stepdaughter told me the most excellent thing the other day. I was driving her somewhere after receiving several rejections and said, "I'm sorry I'm not very chatty today". She looked at me and said, "that's ok, you deserve to be depressed". And she was absolutely right. We have all fought very hard to be where we are and feeling sad, hurt, depressed over these rejections is absolutely ok, AND I remind myself daily that I didn't get into this field because I wanted a stellar internship; I got into this field because it was a great way for me to be of service to others. I am good at what I do and I believe you are too, and sometimes numbers, facts, and figures on an application don't show that.

I will leave you with this quote from Marie Curie -
"Life is not easy for any of us. But what of that? We must have perseverance and above all confidence in ourselves. We must believe that we are gifted for something and that this thing must be attained."

This is all beautiful! Your stepdaughter's words of wisdom and the quote... not gonna lie, made me tear up a little. Thanks for sharing :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How are all of the #forumfamily UCC applicants holding up? :hello:

I still have 14 UCC sites to hear from (have only heard from 2). Next week is going to be crazy!!

Okay, first off, A+ for a solid Kendrick reference.

Also, in the spirit of inclusivity, I'm curious what people's thoughts are on getting rid of the "interview tally data" in people's signatures. I've noticed more and more of them over the last few days. Obvs, everyone is free to do them...and I'm also wondering if having all of these counts floating around out here is contributing to an overall sense of angst and anxiety...even more so than what we're all experiencing anyway! Plus, let's be real: we're all painfully and acutely aware of exactly where we stand with invites, rejections, and radio silence with all of our sites. So, it's just an idea that could perhaps take the pressure off of everyone a bit. :)

Agree 100%. I think the "match rate" stat in particular may be a bit of a painful reminder to those who, at least at the moment, have not received their desired number of invites. Just my 2 cents. <3 you all!

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone! I've been on SDN for a while but am new to this forum. I just wanted to make sure before I do post: is this where we share if we've heard from sites which seem to not have been updated or added to the invite/rejection list? Thanks in advance! :cat:

You have 5 interviews. You should be extremely happy right now. For those of us (including myself) who don't have an interview yet and have many rejections, this upsets me. I would love to just have 1 interview at this point. Congratulations for the 5 interviews you do have and go kick butt at those interviews!

I am with you where I took an extra year to have a solid and competitive CV and plenty of hours. I am at 9 rejections right now and am counting my lucky stars I didn't hear anything today. I have began to mentally prepare for phase II as well. I would rather be prepared for the worst and be surprised and excited if I do get an interview and match in phase I. We are all in this together, we just have to keep our heads up! 9 more days of this interview waiting game guys, we got this! #forumfam
Also, just to put things into perspective, I was talking to my supervisor today and she said that in the end, as long as you match (in phase I or phase II) you are fine. No one cares in the future as long as you did an internship. It will not have an effect on the rest of your future! We got this everyone! So close!

@Segan1 I totally get where you're coming from and honestly, I would be so upset too if I were in your shoes! I was so happy when I got my first interview and each one after that. I've also hesitated sharing about some recent interviews on here (even though someone else inevitably always shares first and then I'm just like, "me too") just because I'm always thinking about how terrible it must feel for those of you who don't have any yet, seeing all these new invites come in!

I also agree about asking people to not have their interview "stats" in their signatures -- no offense to any of you who do, you're obviously allowed to be excited about your interviews! But it really does seem insensitive to me in some way that I can't quite put a finger on... even though the whole point of this thread is to share about interviews.

Anyway, all this to say that I'm really thinking about and rooting for those of you who don't have any or very few interviews at this point, sending you all the good APPIC vibes, and hoping many interview invites come your way very soon!! :) I also had a former sup and letter-writer say that she's seen many people (including herself!) successfully match after just a handful of interviews. And there are still 9 days left!! So try to keep your heads up... like others have already said, you all are competent, intelligent, kind people and wouldn't have gotten to where you are if that wasn't true. Here's to interviews and successfully matching for all of us :nod: #forumfam #anotherforummom

Reactions: 5 users
VA Long Beach
Track: Neuropsychology
Rejection (5th straight...)
Mass email (12/6/17)

I've come to terms, I was not competitive this year. Just not competitive. Man I'm in a bad place. I worked at VA LB for a year prior to graduate school. Even that experience couldn't help me. I honestly need to just stop posting and go do some internal inspection. Five interviews, and way too many rejections to ever feel good about myself. To anyone that got this one, congrats.
Thanks for being real - this is a tough process. Sending lots of support your way.

Okay, first off, A+ for a solid Kendrick reference.

Also, in the spirit of inclusivity, I'm curious what people's thoughts are on getting rid of the "interview tally data" in people's signatures. I've noticed more and more of them over the last few days. Obvs, everyone is free to do them...and I'm also wondering if having all of these counts floating around out here is contributing to an overall sense of angst and anxiety...even more so than what we're all experiencing anyway! Plus, let's be real: we're all painfully and acutely aware of exactly where we stand with invites, rejections, and radio silence with all of our sites. So, it's just an idea that could perhaps take the pressure off of everyone a bit. :)

Agree 100%. I think the "match rate" stat in particular may be a bit of a painful reminder to those who, at least at the moment, have not received their desired number of invites. Just my 2 cents. <3 you all!
Here’s the last I’ll say on the matter: I have been BLOWN AWAY by how supportive everyone has been when one of us gets an invite, including support from some who got rejections from the exact same sites! And, on the other side, everyone has done an equally awesome job validating and commiserating when rejections go out. So, regardless of what people post, you will either be celebrated or reminded how effing awesome you are (and sometimes both!). So why the need for the tallies? To be honest, they don’t seem to be acting as a significant source of external validation especially given that many (myself included!) have asked for validation from y’all at various points and have been met with an overwhelmingly positive response. And given that we all know exactly where we stand with sites, I guess I just struggle to see the point of them. So, what if we each advocate to have our needs met effectively (be them celebration or support/encouragement) by seeking support through one another, instead of the tallies?

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Hi everyone! I've been on SDN for a while but am new to this forum. I just wanted to make sure before I do post: is this where we share if we've heard from sites which seem to not have been updated or added to the invite/rejection list? Thanks in advance! :cat:

Welcome to the #forumfam! Yes, feel free to post any invites or rejections you’ve received, especially if they aren’t on the main page!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have 14 UCC sites to hear from (have only heard from 2). Next week is going to be crazy!!
I've got 8 more that I'm waiting on.... makes me nervous about planning travel and stuff. Definitely tough to concentrate on actual work today, also.

Reactions: 1 users
-Full Site Name: Children's Hospital of Orange County
-Track: No track, pediatric psychology site
-Invite or rejection: Invite!
-Date of Notification: 12/6/17 (email at 11:21 PM CST)
-How You Were Notified: Personal email
-Interview Date(s): January 4 (Thursday), January 5 (Friday), January 8 (Monday), January 12 (Friday), January 15 (Monday), January 19 (Friday), January 24 (Wednesday), and January 25 (Thursday).
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: My friends, family, husband, puppy, & this forum!

Reactions: 11 users
I've got 8 more that I'm waiting on.... makes me nervous about planning travel and stuff. Definitely tough to concentrate on actual work today, also.

Agreed! Most of my sites made clear in their application materials that they wouldn't inform applicants until sometime around the 15th, but I still find myself constantly checking my email!! It'll be fun to hear about your invites as they come in :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

Because I'm new to the thread, I thought I'd also add to the list the sites I've heard from but don't already see recorded. :happy:

Invitations:

Kaiser Permanente, San Diego

Invited
Notified on 11/28/17
Mass email

Rejections:
Walla Walla Spokane VAMC Joint Psychology Internship

Rejection
Notified on 12/6/17
Mass email

Pacific Clinics
Tracks: Primary 0-5 Child Emphasis, Asian Pacific Fam Center-Child/Adult (Proficiency In Language), Primary Adult Outpatient, Primary Child/Adolescent/Family Outpatient
Rejection
Notified on 12/5/17
Mass email

Reactions: 8 users
It actually looked like a neat internship with lots of different opportunities! Texas isn't so bad...driving distance to a cruise port! I got a rejection so keep an open mind, you might like it.

THANK YOU for that perspective :)
I'm always willing to try something new and am grateful for each opportunity! I grew up in Atlanta so it would be wonderful to return to a place a little closer to my roots:) So sorry for your rejection-- want me to hide a banana peel somewhere for you just to stick it to 'em?

Last edited:
-Interview Date(s): January 4 (Thursday), January 5 (Friday), January 8 (Monday), January 12 (Friday), January 15 (Monday), January 19 (Friday), January 24 (Wednesday), and January 25 (Thursday).
-If & How You’re Staying Sane: My friends, family, husband, puppy, & this forum!

Ooo congrats! This site seemed amazzzing. I was too Intimidated to apply lol

New to the forum too! Although been reading these comments and feeling a lot better. So far I've had 7 rejections out of 16 and feeling pretty bummed about it. Today (my 7th rejection) was from a place I was SO confident in. Glad to have found this forum though, lots of supportive people here :)

Ahhh CHOC is amazing!!!! Congratulations!!!

Me too!! Congrats! Sneaky of them, sending it in the middle of the night haha

Hi everyone!

Because I'm new to the thread, I thought I'd also add to the list the sites I've heard from but don't already see recorded. :happy:

Invitations:

Kaiser Permanente, San Diego

Invited
Notified on 11/28/17
Mass email

Rejections:
Walla Walla Spokane VAMC Joint Psychology Internship

Rejection
Notified on 12/6/17
Mass email

Pacific Clinics
Tracks: Primary 0-5 Child Emphasis, Asian Pacific Fam Center-Child/Adult (Proficiency In Language), Primary Adult Outpatient, Primary Child/Adolescent/Family Outpatient
Rejection
Notified on 12/5/17
Mass email

Congrats on Kaiser SD! I almost applied there but didn't. Opted for Kaiser LA instead.

Speaking of which, has anyone heard from KAISER LA?

Congrats to everyone who got CHOC interviews!! I didn't apply, but am very envious! I love that place hahah. Enjoy Orange County. Maybe even go to Disneyland :)

Congrats on Kaiser SD! I almost applied there but didn't. Opted for Kaiser LA instead.

Speaking of which, has anyone heard from KAISER LA?

Congrats to everyone who got CHOC interviews!! I didn't apply, but am very envious! I love that place hahah. Enjoy Orange County. Maybe even go to Disneyland :)

Thank you! I also applied to Kaiser LA and haven't heard from them yet as well~

also, just wanted to add this perspective to the earlier conversation about # of invites/rejections and match rates because it has been helping me cope with my feelings of inadequacy:

a TD at one of my prac sites once told us that although statistics are important, sometimes having less interviews might actually give you a better shot at matching because you are highly focused and determined on those few interviews (and can demonstrate better fit), while someone with a lot of interviews might spread themselves to thin, so to speak. MIGHT!

whatever your ratios are of invites:rejections, just remember that a lot of this process is circumstantial and completely out of anyone's control :unsure:

anyway, i really hope everyone here on #forumfam matches! regardless of how many invites you get :biglove:

Reactions: 6 users
Me too!! Congrats! Sneaky of them, sending it in the middle of the night haha

Me three!! :soexcited: Soooo excited for this one!

Yep, an invite that late definitely caught me off guard... Though to be fair it was a little after 9pm here on the West coast, but still was def not expecting anything at that hour.

Yay, congrats to all of us :highfive: I have a friend at CHOC who loves it!

Yah. It's rough when your cohorts are getting invites left and right and the 15th seems so far away. I've received 3 invites, received 3 rejections (2 more are coming). So I still have ten left to hear from...I did apply to four CMHC sites and only heard back from one so far. My friends are already out on interviews and I'm like...waiting, really hoping to at least get to 5 invites...I keep obsessively checking this site to the point I'm fully expecting an intervention where my family and friends take away my electronic devices and send me to a facility, which actually doesn't sound bad at this point

It would be cool if we could see this data by state or region, rather than just overall number of applicants and positions each year. Give me all the data!!!

**these data***

also, just wanted to add this perspective to the earlier conversation about # of invites/rejections and match rates because it has been helping me cope with my feelings of inadequacy:

a TD at one of my prac sites once told us that although statistics are important, sometimes having less interviews might actually give you a better shot at matching because you are highly focused and determined on those few interviews (and can demonstrate better fit), while someone with a lot of interviews might spread themselves to thin, so to speak. MIGHT!

whatever your ratios are of invites:rejections, just remember that a lot of this process is circumstantial and completely out of anyone's control :unsure:

anyway, i really hope everyone here on #forumfam matches! regardless of how many invites you get :biglove:

***fewer interviews***

I also agree about asking people to not have their interview "stats" in their signatures -- no offense to any of you who do, you're obviously allowed to be excited about your interviews! But it really does seem insensitive to me in some way that I can't quite put a finger on... even though the whole point of this thread is to share about interviews.

I think maybe because when you post invites one at a time, it's informative, whereas the stats in signatures aren't? I don't know about most people, but I don't have a mental tally of who has posted how many interview invites/rejections when they're doing it one at a time as they get notices. Not sure if that's why it seems insensitive to you, but that's my guess as to why it feels different.

***fewer interviews***

Well, although grammatically that is an accurate correction, her TD may have actually told them that having "less interviews" was better. So your "correction" may be totally unwarranted.

I think this post (along with their post for UW-Madison's UCC) was a troll. Same thing is going on with that posting, and it's way before their deadline and their historical notification dates.

Also, to nerd out here...the name is "ty pwonair" aka type I error...

**these data***

***fewer interviews***

tenor.gif

Reactions: 26 users

Honestly I don't understand who would want to troll this site/process? Like who is Ty Pwonair and what's the function? There can't be 12 year olds interested in internship.

Reactions: 7 users
The tally signatures was never meant to be an “in your face” thing. I started mine at 0 interviews and 0 rejections, and I saw folks whose tallies showed more rejections than interviews. I understand that it started to feel all celebratory to folks who are having a tough time but perception isn’t necessarily fact. The tally was data, a way of communication that seemed innocuous. I’ve heard you guys and like many others have taken mine down happily but please don’t make it more sinister than it was intended with your talk of being insensitive and mean spirtited cause that hurts and feels shaming Just my two cents. I wish all of you well and joy and interviews!

I HEAR YA! I'm waiting on 13. We can do this!!

-Full Site Name: Child Guidance Center of Southern Connecticut
-Track: No track
-Date of Notification: 12/7/17 (email at 7:45AM)
-How You Were Notified: Mass email
-Interview Date: January 9, January 10, January 11

The tally signatures was never meant to be an “in your face” thing. I started mine at 0 interviews and 0 rejections, and I saw folks whose tallies showed more rejections than interviews. I understand that it started to feel all celebratory to folks who are having a tough time but perception isn’t necessarily fact. The tally was data, a way of communication that seemed innocuous. I’ve heard you guys and like many others have taken mine down happily but please don’t make it more sinister than it was intended with your talk of being insensitive and mean spirtited cause that hurts and feels shaming Just my two cents. I wish all of you well and joy and interviews!

You didn't do anything wrong. This process just gets stressful and reactions get a little amplified and people misattribute things.

Well said, I feel the same and removed mine as well. Good luck to everyone starting on the interview train this week and next!

It seems as though everyone in the #forumfam could use a pick me up after last night, here is Santa Adele to add a little Christmas Cheer :)
Santa Adele.jpg

Reactions: 12 users
Princeton House Behavioral Health
Rejection
Notified on 12/7/17
Mass email
Gonna buy me some box wine.

I think if we could all be mindful of everyone’s feelings on here during this stressful time, the #forumfam would feel a lot more inclusive. :shy: As someone with 11 rejections, it’s hard not to think of myself as subpar when I read others with more interviews than me are feeling subpar. At the same time, rejections are rejections and they hurt, particularly for a group of neurotic, perfectionistic, ridiculously intelligent humans such as ourselves. No matter what your stats are, do like Kendrick and be #humble.

Whoops, now I’m forum momming...
This post is exactly what's wrong with the field of psychology.
Well said, I feel the same and removed mine as well. Good luck to everyone starting on the interview train this week and next!
This whole tally argument is absolutely ridiculous. Don't incessantly check the site to fuel your catastrophizing thoughts and self-pity. People should be proud of their interviews and if they want to show a tally that's fine! This argument is a microcosm of everything that's wrong with the field of psychology and the people who become clinicians

I HEAR YA! I'm waiting on 13. We can do this!!

Oh man! Waiting on 7 and I thought that was bad. Hang in there! They can only hold out for 8 more days max! (Although I think one of my sites has a notification date after 12/15 -- get it together UCCs!)

Dear Family who live on the East coast and keep sending me emails at 6 AM in Montana,

I can't keep waking up to reply all emails that say "lol" "haha" and "thanks!". Please just text me. I'm preeeeeeetty sure no internship site is going to shoot me a text.

Hugs and Kisses,
Waiting to hear from 7 internship sites.

-Children's Hospital of Orange County
-Pediatric Psychology
-Invite
-personal email
-options are 1/4,5,8,12,15,19,24,25
-Dissertation, Work

-Full Site Name: University of Akron Counseling and Testing Center
-Track: No track
-Date of Notification: 12/7/17 (email at 8:10am CST)
-How You Were Notified: Mass email
-Interview Date: In-person or phone option: During the week of 12/18-12/22 and 1/3-1/12.

I echo what everyone has said about the signature tally. It was never intended to be sinister or shaming to other people. I mainly had the signature so I could maintain perspective myself. However, I am more than happy to take it down! I don't want to foster an environment that feels hostile or unsupportive. You all have been marvelous at providing support to each other and to myself. I have appreciated hearing it and receiving it.

This is my second year in the internship match process (I stepped back last year due to personal reasons) and I know that the process is brutal. Last year I had hardly any invites at all and I was incredibly discouraged. I am still the same person last year as this year. My point is, invites don't reflect our self-worth. We are all valuable and worthy. We are NOT our internship invites. We are more than that. I wish everyone the best in the process!

This whole tally argument is absolutely ridiculous. Don't incessantly check the site to fuel your catastrophizing thoughts and self-pity. People should be proud of their interviews and if they want to show a tally that's fine! This argument is a microcosm of everything that's wrong with the field of psychology and the people who become clinicians

Then you better hurry! and get of off of this site and go fix the field.

Please don't come on here to shame others. The field of Psychology is wonderful and the people on here (for the most part) have been the best. Please take your attitude elsewhere, unless you want to be positive. I love this #forumfam. #forummom out

Reactions: 9 users
Agreed! Most of my sites made clear in their application materials that they wouldn't inform applicants until sometime around the 15th, but I still find myself constantly checking my email!! It'll be fun to hear about your invites as they come in :)
Yours too!

The field of psychology is largely about effective communication and being able to state your feelings and respond to the feelings of others in an effective way. It's not about pretending you never feel insecure and it's not about always getting your way.

Please don't come here and be rude. So far everyone- those with tallies and those without- have been having a calm and empathetic discourse. Sorry if that rustled your jimmies. I was really pleasantly surprised with how it all went.

Nobody is obligated to care. Nobody is obligated to not care. There is nothing wrong with the people in this forum, whether they feel confident or not. I'm not sure where your problems with the entire field of psychology come from, but as that is where you stand I'm not sure why you're in this forum as it is a field of psychology forum.

I fail to see how it is ridiculous to point out how others are feeling regarding the tally . The tally may be hurtful to some people,even if you don’t incessantly check the site you could still see the tally and it could still make you feel like subpar. That is a human thing it’s not limited to just psychologists, it’s a human to feel insecure when you’re constantly being told that for some reason that’s unknown to you you’re not good enough while others are being told they’re good enough. I think that that this conversation is a microcosm of psychology, but a positive. It shows that we’re all willing to consider each other‘s feelings and understand that while people didn’t have nefarious intentions the action can still hurt someone else’s feelings. Quite frankly when we stop considering how other people feel doing that that’s a symptom that something is wrong.

This is a period that clearly breeds stress, anxiety, and puts all of us at edge. Support can mean different things for different people, that being said, this has been my happy place going through this process. My externship supervisor stressed three things to me yesterday when I spoke to him about my conflicted feelings and extreme anxiety during this time: (1) Don't forget that all this emotional turmoil has a deadline (2) Many before us have survived this and we shall too (3) These kinds of life stressors have a tendency to bring out the worst in all of us, whether that be unusual amounts of anger, sadness, or anxiety - but it's definitely not the first or the last life stressor we're facing - take it one day at a time and don't forget to breathe. This too shall pass.

So much love for all of you right here #forumfam
This is our online home, so let's keep this place positive, supportive, honest, and open, don't forget to ask yourself #WWMD

:biglove:

p.s. Here's a really cute NYTimes story, it put a smile on my face and I hope it does the same for all of you as well! He’s 22. She’s 81. Their Friendship Is Melting Hearts.

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users