SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

2018-2019 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by ForTheLoveOfPsych, Nov 1, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. LateOnArrival_PhD

LateOnArrival_PhD

Nov 16, 2017
    @Segan1 I totally get where you're coming from and honestly, I would be so upset too if I were in your shoes! I was so happy when I got my first interview and each one after that. I've also hesitated sharing about some recent interviews on here (even though someone else inevitably always shares first and then I'm just like, "me too") just because I'm always thinking about how terrible it must feel for those of you who don't have any yet, seeing all these new invites come in!

I also agree about asking people to not have their interview "stats" in their signatures -- no offense to any of you who do, you're obviously allowed to be excited about your interviews! But it really does seem insensitive to me in some way that I can't quite put a finger on... even though the whole point of this thread is to share about interviews.

Anyway, all this to say that I'm really thinking about and rooting for those of you who don't have any or very few interviews at this point, sending you all the good APPIC vibes, and hoping many interview invites come your way very soon!! :) I also had a former sup and letter-writer say that she's seen many people (including herself!) successfully match after just a handful of interviews. And there are still 9 days left!! So try to keep your heads up... like others have already said, you all are competent, intelligent, kind people and wouldn't have gotten to where you are if that wasn't true. Here's to interviews and successfully matching for all of us :nod: #forumfam #anotherforummom

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. HappyPhDHopeful

HappyPhDHopeful 2+ Year Member

Nov 24, 2013
    Thanks for being real - this is a tough process. Sending lots of support your way.

tuneuronerd likes this.
  4. slaney

slaney

Oct 24, 2017
    Here’s the last I’ll say on the matter: I have been BLOWN AWAY by how supportive everyone has been when one of us gets an invite, including support from some who got rejections from the exact same sites! And, on the other side, everyone has done an equally awesome job validating and commiserating when rejections go out. So, regardless of what people post, you will either be celebrated or reminded how effing awesome you are (and sometimes both!). So why the need for the tallies? To be honest, they don’t seem to be acting as a significant source of external validation especially given that many (myself included!) have asked for validation from y’all at various points and have been met with an overwhelmingly positive response. And given that we all know exactly where we stand with sites, I guess I just struggle to see the point of them. So, what if we each advocate to have our needs met effectively (be them celebration or support/encouragement) by seeking support through one another, instead of the tallies?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 9:19 PM
  5. PedPsychPhD

PedPsychPhD

Nov 15, 2017
    Welcome to the #forumfam! Yes, feel free to post any invites or rejections you’ve received, especially if they aren’t on the main page!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. saarloos

saarloos

Nov 29, 2017
    I've got 8 more that I'm waiting on.... makes me nervous about planning travel and stuff. Definitely tough to concentrate on actual work today, also.

Space Owl and Juniper 2018 like this.
  7. DrSamJones04

DrSamJones04

Nov 20, 2017
    -Full Site Name: Children's Hospital of Orange County
    -Track: No track, pediatric psychology site
    -Invite or rejection: Invite!
    -Date of Notification: 12/6/17 (email at 11:21 PM CST)
    -How You Were Notified: Personal email
    -Interview Date(s): January 4 (Thursday), January 5 (Friday), January 8 (Monday), January 12 (Friday), January 15 (Monday), January 19 (Friday), January 24 (Wednesday), and January 25 (Thursday).
    -If & How You’re Staying Sane: My friends, family, husband, puppy, & this forum!

8. Juniper 2018

Juniper 2018

Nov 28, 2017
    Agreed! Most of my sites made clear in their application materials that they wouldn't inform applicants until sometime around the 15th, but I still find myself constantly checking my email!! It'll be fun to hear about your invites as they come in :)

saarloos likes this.
  9. m0chicheeks

m0chicheeks 5+ Year Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Hi everyone!

Because I'm new to the thread, I thought I'd also add to the list the sites I've heard from but don't already see recorded. :happy:

Invitations:

Kaiser Permanente, San Diego

Invited
    Notified on 11/28/17
    Mass email

Rejections:
    Walla Walla Spokane VAMC Joint Psychology Internship

Rejection
    Notified on 12/6/17
    Mass email

Pacific Clinics
    Tracks: Primary 0-5 Child Emphasis, Asian Pacific Fam Center-Child/Adult (Proficiency In Language), Primary Adult Outpatient, Primary Child/Adolescent/Family Outpatient
    Rejection
    Notified on 12/5/17
    Mass email

10. EmAreBee

EmAreBee

Nov 30, 2017
    THANK YOU for that perspective :)
    I'm always willing to try something new and am grateful for each opportunity! I grew up in Atlanta so it would be wonderful to return to a place a little closer to my roots:) So sorry for your rejection-- want me to hide a banana peel somewhere for you just to stick it to 'em?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 6:15 AM
    ellabelle46 and AllTheFeels like this.
  11. ToneTone

ToneTone 5+ Year Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Ooo congrats! This site seemed amazzzing. I was too Intimidated to apply lol

ellabelle46 and thisisaname like this.
  12. PsyGal192

PsyGal192

Wednesday
    New to the forum too! Although been reading these comments and feeling a lot better. So far I've had 7 rejections out of 16 and feeling pretty bummed about it. Today (my 7th rejection) was from a place I was SO confident in. Glad to have found this forum though, lots of supportive people here :)

13. ToneTone

ToneTone 5+ Year Member

Jan 29, 2012
    Welcome ladies!

PsyGal192 likes this.
  14. PedPsychPhD

PedPsychPhD

Nov 15, 2017
    Ahhh CHOC is amazing!!!! Congratulations!!!

junebug621 and ellabelle46 like this.
  15. PedsPerson17

PedsPerson17

Nov 24, 2017
    Me too!! Congrats! Sneaky of them, sending it in the middle of the night haha

16. coffeepsyched

coffeepsyched

Nov 29, 2017
    Congrats on Kaiser SD! I almost applied there but didn't. Opted for Kaiser LA instead.

Speaking of which, has anyone heard from KAISER LA?

Congrats to everyone who got CHOC interviews!! I didn't apply, but am very envious! I love that place hahah. Enjoy Orange County. Maybe even go to Disneyland :)

17. m0chicheeks

m0chicheeks 5+ Year Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Honolulu, Hawai'i
    Thank you! I also applied to Kaiser LA and haven't heard from them yet as well~

18. coffeepsyched

coffeepsyched

Nov 29, 2017
    also, just wanted to add this perspective to the earlier conversation about # of invites/rejections and match rates because it has been helping me cope with my feelings of inadequacy:

a TD at one of my prac sites once told us that although statistics are important, sometimes having less interviews might actually give you a better shot at matching because you are highly focused and determined on those few interviews (and can demonstrate better fit), while someone with a lot of interviews might spread themselves to thin, so to speak. MIGHT!

whatever your ratios are of invites:rejections, just remember that a lot of this process is circumstantial and completely out of anyone's control :unsure:

anyway, i really hope everyone here on #forumfam matches! regardless of how many invites you get :biglove:

19. LateOnArrival_PhD

LateOnArrival_PhD

Nov 16, 2017
    Me three!! :soexcited: Soooo excited for this one!

Yep, an invite that late definitely caught me off guard... Though to be fair it was a little after 9pm here on the West coast, but still was def not expecting anything at that hour.

Yay, congrats to all of us :highfive: I have a friend at CHOC who loves it!

PedsPerson17 likes this.
  20. drxa

drxa

Nov 17, 2017
    Alaska!

saarloos and Deadblue like this.
  21. traumamama

traumamama

Nov 12, 2017
    Yah. It's rough when your cohorts are getting invites left and right and the 15th seems so far away. I've received 3 invites, received 3 rejections (2 more are coming). So I still have ten left to hear from...I did apply to four CMHC sites and only heard back from one so far. My friends are already out on interviews and I'm like...waiting, really hoping to at least get to 5 invites...I keep obsessively checking this site to the point I'm fully expecting an intervention where my family and friends take away my electronic devices and send me to a facility, which actually doesn't sound bad at this point

22. Ty Pwonair

Ty Pwonair Banned Banned Account on Hold

Nov 14, 2017
    **these data***

ellabelle46 likes this.
  23. Ty Pwonair

Ty Pwonair Banned Banned Account on Hold

Nov 14, 2017
    ***fewer interviews***

24. OpalinePhoenix

OpalinePhoenix 2+ Year Member

Jan 18, 2013
    I think maybe because when you post invites one at a time, it's informative, whereas the stats in signatures aren't? I don't know about most people, but I don't have a mental tally of who has posted how many interview invites/rejections when they're doing it one at a time as they get notices. Not sure if that's why it seems insensitive to you, but that's my guess as to why it feels different.

brainstew and carapox like this.
  25. OpalinePhoenix

OpalinePhoenix 2+ Year Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Well, although grammatically that is an accurate correction, her TD may have actually told them that having "less interviews" was better. So your "correction" may be totally unwarranted.

26. wecanERPitout

wecanERPitout

Nov 30, 2017
    [​IMG]

27. Sosin

Sosin 2+ Year Member

Jan 16, 2013
    Honestly I don't understand who would want to troll this site/process? Like who is Ty Pwonair and what's the function? There can't be 12 year olds interested in internship.

28. HappyPhDHopeful

HappyPhDHopeful 2+ Year Member

Nov 24, 2013
    The tally signatures was never meant to be an “in your face” thing. I started mine at 0 interviews and 0 rejections, and I saw folks whose tallies showed more rejections than interviews. I understand that it started to feel all celebratory to folks who are having a tough time but perception isn’t necessarily fact. The tally was data, a way of communication that seemed innocuous. I’ve heard you guys and like many others have taken mine down happily but please don’t make it more sinister than it was intended with your talk of being insensitive and mean spirtited cause that hurts and feels shaming Just my two cents. I wish all of you well and joy and interviews!

29. eventualphd

eventualphd

Nov 14, 2017
    I HEAR YA! I'm waiting on 13. We can do this!!

Juniper 2018 likes this.
  30. WiseMind

WiseMind

Nov 29, 2017
    -Full Site Name: Child Guidance Center of Southern Connecticut
    -Track: No track
    -Date of Notification: 12/7/17 (email at 7:45AM)
    -How You Were Notified: Mass email
    -Interview Date: January 9, January 10, January 11

31. WisNeuro

WisNeuro Board Certified Neuropsychologist Psychologist 7+ Year Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Somewhere
    You didn't do anything wrong. This process just gets stressful and reactions get a little amplified and people misattribute things.

32. AlwaysPsyched

AlwaysPsyched

Nov 11, 2017
    Well said, I feel the same and removed mine as well. Good luck to everyone starting on the interview train this week and next!

33. PrincessOfGenovia

PrincessOfGenovia

Nov 13, 2017
    It seems as though everyone in the #forumfam could use a pick me up after last night, here is Santa Adele to add a little Christmas Cheer :)
    Santa Adele.jpg

34. carapox

carapox 2+ Year Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Princeton House Behavioral Health
    Rejection
    Notified on 12/7/17
    Mass email
    Gonna buy me some box wine.

plaegiste likes this.
  35. 18birdies

18birdies

Nov 11, 2017
    This post is exactly what's wrong with the field of psychology.
    This whole tally argument is absolutely ridiculous. Don't incessantly check the site to fuel your catastrophizing thoughts and self-pity. People should be proud of their interviews and if they want to show a tally that's fine! This argument is a microcosm of everything that's wrong with the field of psychology and the people who become clinicians

36. PsychGradAd

PsychGradAd 2+ Year Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Oh man! Waiting on 7 and I thought that was bad. Hang in there! They can only hold out for 8 more days max! (Although I think one of my sites has a notification date after 12/15 -- get it together UCCs!)

Juniper 2018 and Space Owl like this.
  37. PSYDR

PSYDR Psychologist 10+ Year Member

Dec 18, 2005
    Others accomplishments are not your failures.

38. EmAreBee

EmAreBee

Nov 30, 2017
    Dear Family who live on the East coast and keep sending me emails at 6 AM in Montana,

I can't keep waking up to reply all emails that say "lol" "haha" and "thanks!". Please just text me. I'm preeeeeeetty sure no internship site is going to shoot me a text.

Hugs and Kisses,
    Waiting to hear from 7 internship sites.

39. bewitched1999

bewitched1999

Nov 30, 2017
    -Children's Hospital of Orange County
    -Pediatric Psychology
    -Invite
    -personal email
    -options are 1/4,5,8,12,15,19,24,25
    -Dissertation, Work

40. Kitai_Aleran

Kitai_Aleran

Nov 8, 2017
    -Full Site Name: University of Akron Counseling and Testing Center
    -Track: No track
    -Date of Notification: 12/7/17 (email at 8:10am CST)
    -How You Were Notified: Mass email
    -Interview Date: In-person or phone option: During the week of 12/18-12/22 and 1/3-1/12.

I echo what everyone has said about the signature tally. It was never intended to be sinister or shaming to other people. I mainly had the signature so I could maintain perspective myself. However, I am more than happy to take it down! I don't want to foster an environment that feels hostile or unsupportive. You all have been marvelous at providing support to each other and to myself. I have appreciated hearing it and receiving it.

This is my second year in the internship match process (I stepped back last year due to personal reasons) and I know that the process is brutal. Last year I had hardly any invites at all and I was incredibly discouraged. I am still the same person last year as this year. My point is, invites don't reflect our self-worth. We are all valuable and worthy. We are NOT our internship invites. We are more than that. I wish everyone the best in the process!

41. BSM328

BSM328

Oct 16, 2017
    Then you better hurry! and get of off of this site and go fix the field.

Please don't come on here to shame others. The field of Psychology is wonderful and the people on here (for the most part) have been the best. Please take your attitude elsewhere, unless you want to be positive. I love this #forumfam. #forummom out

42. saarloos

saarloos

Nov 29, 2017
    Yours too!

Juniper 2018 likes this.
  43. carapox

carapox 2+ Year Member

Oct 20, 2013
    The field of psychology is largely about effective communication and being able to state your feelings and respond to the feelings of others in an effective way. It's not about pretending you never feel insecure and it's not about always getting your way.

Please don't come here and be rude. So far everyone- those with tallies and those without- have been having a calm and empathetic discourse. Sorry if that rustled your jimmies. I was really pleasantly surprised with how it all went.

Nobody is obligated to care. Nobody is obligated to not care. There is nothing wrong with the people in this forum, whether they feel confident or not. I'm not sure where your problems with the entire field of psychology come from, but as that is where you stand I'm not sure why you're in this forum as it is a field of psychology forum.

44. Neurophile210

Neurophile210

Nov 18, 2017
    I fail to see how it is ridiculous to point out how others are feeling regarding the tally . The tally may be hurtful to some people,even if you don’t incessantly check the site you could still see the tally and it could still make you feel like subpar. That is a human thing it’s not limited to just psychologists, it’s a human to feel insecure when you’re constantly being told that for some reason that’s unknown to you you’re not good enough while others are being told they’re good enough. I think that that this conversation is a microcosm of psychology, but a positive. It shows that we’re all willing to consider each other‘s feelings and understand that while people didn’t have nefarious intentions the action can still hurt someone else’s feelings. Quite frankly when we stop considering how other people feel doing that that’s a symptom that something is wrong.

45. ForTheLoveOfPsych

ForTheLoveOfPsych

Jan 28, 2016
    This is a period that clearly breeds stress, anxiety, and puts all of us at edge. Support can mean different things for different people, that being said, this has been my happy place going through this process. My externship supervisor stressed three things to me yesterday when I spoke to him about my conflicted feelings and extreme anxiety during this time: (1) Don't forget that all this emotional turmoil has a deadline (2) Many before us have survived this and we shall too (3) These kinds of life stressors have a tendency to bring out the worst in all of us, whether that be unusual amounts of anger, sadness, or anxiety - but it's definitely not the first or the last life stressor we're facing - take it one day at a time and don't forget to breathe. This too shall pass.

So much love for all of you right here #forumfam
    This is our online home, so let's keep this place positive, supportive, honest, and open, don't forget to ask yourself #WWMD

:biglove:

p.s. Here's a really cute NYTimes story, it put a smile on my face and I hope it does the same for all of you as well! He’s 22. She’s 81. Their Friendship Is Melting Hearts.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 7:11 AM
  46. ellabelle46

ellabelle46

Nov 17, 2017
    5 interviews is great, especially for neuro! That's a tough track/specialty to get interviews for.

tuneuronerd likes this.
  47. Space Owl

Space Owl 5+ Year Member

Jan 13, 2011
    Yup. I received an invite from University of Tennessee-Knoxville on 11/30 via mass email, well after ty pwonair posted about their alleged invite, and the dates ty pwonair gave weren't the same as the ones offered.

It's a shame--it started off as a really unique and super mean-spirited trolling...then devolved into your Basic AF grammar policing drivel. Oh well, at least they're outed and won't be able to take the wind out of anyone else's sails (which was totally what happened when I saw UTK listed on page one a few weeks back) with future falsified interview invitations. At least not until rising again under a different username, anyway. Troll in the dungeon indeed--I know I'll be exercising constant vigilance against any new users with stats puns for names (and thanks to eventualphd for decoding that, I totally didn't get it on my own).

48. lucyduckfriend

lucyduckfriend

Nov 21, 2017
    -Full Site Name: Princeton House Behavioral Health
    -Track: Women's Program
    -Invite or rejection: Rejection
    -Date of Notification: 12/7/17
    -How You Were Notified: Mass email around 9:30AM

49. PedPsychPhD

PedPsychPhD

Nov 15, 2017
    Please tell me this is your baby? Just brightened my morning!

50. Hawkeye11

Hawkeye11

Sep 3, 2016
    Just in case nobody has posted them yet, I got email rejections from Appalachian State University Counseling Center and Clemson University Counseling Center yesterday (12/6).

51. Hawkeye11

Hawkeye11

Sep 3, 2016
    When you want to reheat your #peetzit, but you don't have any plates in your hotel room... Don't ask why I have a billion tabs open and am reading irrelevant sections of the forum. Sometimes, I get sidetracked...

Attached Files:

BSM328, Psychchick09 and ellabelle46 like this.