2018-2019 dental school costs spreadsheet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lab_lover

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a lot of downtime so I made this spreadsheet for future applicants. All info is based on the 2019-2020 ADEA dental school guide or the schools website. Enjoy

EDIT:
try this link to access, but just delete the spaces -->
https: //docs.google.com/spreadsheets /d/1kSqdrbHQf-WTstuu0sN4BAKWE6qvIklwPc45Kejrrr4/edit?usp=sharing

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 35 users
Great spreadsheet :) One thing I thought I'd mention - some schools (like UCLA) allow you to try and get in-state tuition after your first year, so future applicants should keep that in mind when comparing the OOS costs between schools!

Alsooooooo, besides interest, future applicants should also remember that there are tuition hikes pretty much every year for every school (can range from 3-5% I believe, but it could be more or it could be less).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It is interesting to see the variation in the COL between each school. I'm not sure how they calculate it, but each school is definitely not using the same calculation for COL. Some schools having COL in the low teens while others reaching $40k just cannot make sense under the same calculations even with taking into account the differences in rent in those locations.

Examples:
UOP is $32k/yr while UCSF is $26k for two years and $34k for two years. Crazy since they are just a few miles apart.
MWU-IL is $32k-$38k/yr while UIC is $20k/yr. Again, similar to the San Francisco schools, but you'd think Downer's Grove would be cheaper since it is not downtown Chicago.
MWU-AZ is $34-38k/yr while NYU is $34-40k/yr. I have a hard time seeing those schools having the same/similar COL.

To the OP: I know this is not your fault, you are just going off of the ADEA guide. My comment is more directed to the schools themselves and what they are reporting. Good work putting all of this together!

Reactions: 4 users
It is interesting to see the variation in the COL between each school. I'm not sure how they calculate it, but each school is definitely not using the same calculation for COL. Some schools having COL in the low teens while others reaching $40k just cannot make sense under the same calculations even with taking into account the differences in rent in those locations.

Examples:
UOP is $32k/yr while UCSF is $26k for two years and $34k for two years. Crazy since they are just a few miles apart.
MWU-IL is $32k-$38k/yr while UIC is $20k/yr. Again, similar to the San Francisco schools, but you'd think Downer's Grove would be cheaper since it is not downtown Chicago.
MWU-AZ is $34-38k/yr while NYU is $34-40k/yr. I have a hard time seeing those schools having the same/similar COL.

To the OP: I know this is not your fault, you are just going off of the ADEA guide. My comment is more directed to the schools themselves and what they are reporting. Good work putting all of this together!

Yes, I agree.
I tried to look at the schools website first for the most up-to-date info since ADEA had info from the 2017-2018 school year.
But every school calculated COL differently, for sure. Some included rent and transportation while others included supplies, health insurance or misc. Oh, and some had COL no where to be found on their websites lol. So, that’s usually when I pulled from the ADEA guide.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow this is awesome, can I take this sheet and add in some formulas to calculate total cost including loan origination fee/interest accrual/4% annual increase in tuition cost? I would forward it to you to post since this is after all your hard work and all credit goes to you. And for any future applicants reading this thread, also keep in mind that scholarships for some schools exist, so please be proactive to look into that or consider that cost of living can go down by a good amount if you choose to split rents with roommates.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow this is awesome, can I take this sheet and add in some formulas to calculate total cost including loan origination fee/interest accrual/4% annual increase in tuition cost? I would forward it to you to post since this is after all your hard work and all credit goes to you. And for any future applicants reading this thread, also keep in mind that scholarships for some schools exist, so please be proactive to look into that or consider that cost of living can go down by a good amount if you choose to split rents with roommates.

Yeah that would be great. Pm me your email so I can give you access to the google doc

Thank you for this!
Is there a way to download this or open in google docs? Or am i just not seeing the link to do so..

Thank you for this!
Is there a way to download this or open in google docs? Or am i just not seeing the link to do so..

I originally copied the link from my google sheets so that anyone could access it. SDN uploaded it straight to this thread so I am not sure how to post the link so it can take you directly to the google sheet.
If anyone knows how to bypass this, let me know!

EDIT:
try this link, but just delete the spaces -->
https: //docs.google.com/spreadsheets /d/1kSqdrbHQf-WTstuu0sN4BAKWE6qvIklwPc45Kejrrr4/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
I originally copied the link from my google sheets so that anyone could access it. SDN uploaded it straight to this thread so I am not sure how to post the link so it can take you directly to the google sheet.
If anyone knows how to bypass this, let me know!

EDIT:
try this link, but just delete the spaces -->

It worked for me! just make sure you delete the 2 spaces

This made me feel much better about my choice, thanks.

This is really eye opening, very helpful in gathering my list to apply. Thank you!

I had a lot of downtime so I made this spreadsheet for future applicants. All info is based on the 2019-2020 ADEA dental school guide or the schools website. Enjoy

EDIT:

Interest rates are most likely going to increase again. Grad+ currently at 7.6% but after July 1st, 2019, it will be much higher. Could see it at 8%. Same goes for the Federal Direct Loan. Could see it go up to 7% or higher. Both have been increasing by atleast 0.5%+ for last few years. I think both of these are caped at a specific rates which we could easily hit in the next few years.

Loan Type2018-192017-182016-172015-162014-152013-142006-13
Direct Subsidized (Undergrad)5.05%4.45%3.76%4.29%4.66%3.86%Varies
Direct Unsubsidized (Undergrad)5.05%4.45%3.76%4.29%4.66%3.86%6.8%
Direct Unsubsidized (Grad)6.60%6.00%5.31%5.84%6.21%5.41%6.8%
Direct PLUS (Grad & Parent)7.60%7.00%6.31%6.84%7.21%6.41%7.9%

If you got a bit more time, try and update and take in account of yearly increases in interest rates each year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interest rates are most likely going to increase again. Grad+ currently at 7.6% but after July 1st, 2019, it will be much higher. Could see it at 8%. Same goes for the Federal Direct Loan. Could see it go up to 7% or higher. Both have been increasing by atleast 0.5%+ for last few years. I think both of these are caped at a specific rates which we could easily hit in the next few years.

Loan Type2018-192017-182016-172015-162014-152013-142006-13
Direct Subsidized (Undergrad)5.05%4.45%3.76%4.29%4.66%3.86%Varies
Direct Unsubsidized (Undergrad)5.05%4.45%3.76%4.29%4.66%3.86%6.8%
Direct Unsubsidized (Grad)6.60%6.00%5.31%5.84%6.21%5.41%6.8%
Direct PLUS (Grad & Parent)7.60%7.00%6.31%6.84%7.21%6.41%7.9%

If you got a bit more time, try and update and take in account of yearly increases in interest rates each year.

I believe interest rates are based on the 10 year treasury note in May + a fixed percentage. As of now, the 10 year treasure note is lower than it was at this time last year

I believe interest rates are based on the 10 year treasury note in May + a fixed percentage. As of now, the 10 year treasure note is lower than it was at this time last year
You are correct, this is why I kept the interest rates stagnant, in addition to it being well know we are due to have a market correction at any point now. Aside from that, the biggest factor influencing the overall cost of school (short term) that capitalizes, is going to be that 3.5% tuition/fee increase per year, the 0.5% increase marginally increases the debt in the short term, but obviously when it comes to payback it becomes VERY significant and is the focal point of how loan payback will be effected. To the poster who commented about the interest rate, this is definitely something that should be pointed out to future students, just to be safe if you want to make a close guess at payback, you can add 10k-15k for the mid-tier school costs and then look up a calculator with the real interest rate on a 10 year payback because that is how the loan repayment schedule will be issued, unless they go for the IBR route.

For students planning to pay back the loan rather than IBR, refinancing through a private lender could also lower your interest rate compared to what the government offers. However, most people recommend waiting until after graduation and you know whether or not you’re able to feasibly pay everything back or will need to take advantage of the benefits that federal loans offer.

My bad. Thanks for clarifiying it. Should have looked further into it.

Anyways, do you know how refinancing through a private lender works? Isn't it that the higher debt to income ratio you have, the harder it may be to get a lower interest rate, let alone one at all?

My bad. Thanks for clarifiying it. Should have looked further into it.

Anyways, do you know how refinancing through a private lender works? Isn't it that the higher debt to income ratio you have, the harder it may be to get a lower interest rate, let alone one at all?
No clue specifically how it works but I'd imagine you can search up student loan refinancing companies (SoFi) and see what they offer and what rate you could get. I'd guess that the higher debt to income ratio you have, the harder it'll be to get a lower interest rate due to risk but if you have a good repayment history and credit score, those would work in your favor.

Something I should mention in regards to the differences in COL - each program has a different start date/start month. So, some first years are showing 10 months of COL and others are showing 11 or 12 months for COL.

Commenting to bump this to the top. Everyone needs to see this

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

EDIT:

This is great! Thank you!!

Thank you for this!

Over $700k at both Midwestern campuses. Yikes. Better improve your application and reapply than go into that much debt. For reference, the most expensive school for in-state students is UCSF at $476k.

Over $700k at both Midwestern campuses. Yikes. Better improve your application and reapply than go into that much debt. For reference, the most expensive school for in-state students is UCSF at $476k.
Hopefully the post-COVID economy will drop the cost of living a bit. It's a big problem for UCSF, actually. Not only for student retention, but faculty, as well.

I’m confused. I thought the US only had 66 dental schools, so why are there 100+ on this list?
OP has the IS and OOS total tuition for public schools on separate rows, since tuition depends on residency (ex. UCLA, UMD, UConn, etc). Schools without IS/OOS are just private schools (ex. NYU, MWU, Creighton, LECOM, etc.).

Thanks for posting this.
I just saw someone link this from WCI.

700k for dental school... Unbelievable