[2018-2019] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone not uploaded a #4 SLOE (I feel really shaky on this last rotation), and I have 3 SLOE's uploaded already.

If it's not on my transcript it is not like programs would know I did a fourth subI and didn't ask for a letter there, right? Unless I outright told them or it was on my medical school transcript.

If it is not on your transcript, programs will not know that you rotated there unless you tell them (or the program you applied to knows someone at the program you rotated at and they talked, etc.). Honestly at this point I usually just tell students if they should get a SLOE when they rotate with me. 4 SLOEs is overkill for any application as no program requires more than two. I think it comes down to whether or not you think the SLOE would be supportive of your application or substantially worse than your other SLOEs.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
BIDMC has two spots left; one on November 7th and one on January 3rd. Would post on the googledoc, but it is not letting me edit.

Good luck everyone!

Edit: Now Nov 28th (one) and Jan 3rd (one)

Last edited:
I am feeling really anxious about my prospects. I am sitting on only my home institution interview and my post away interview. So 2 interviews out of 45 and rejected from 2 so far. I thought I had applied to a broad set of competitive-ness levels, but maybe not?

I really confused about what is happening. I am an average MD applicant stat-wise other then a terrible SVI score. Step1 240 and Step2 241. I have a fair number of publications and EC. I honored my away Sub-I and near honored my home sub-internship so I was hopeful that my SLOEs would be ok, but I am assuming they did not turn out as great as I had hoped. Is EM just way more competitive this year or what? Beside the SVI, what did I do wrong??

I am going to apply to more programs today, but any advise out there for picking programs that are looking for someone like me? Are there plenty of schools that are just waiting to send out interviews to the next tier as the top one starts canceling? All the promises of "waves" seemed to pass me by. :( Am I screwed at this point ? ?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am feeling really anxious about my prospects. I am sitting on only my home institution interview and my post away interview. So 2 interviews out of 45 and rejected from 2 so far. I thought I had applied to a broad set of competitive-ness levels, but maybe not?

I really confused about what is happening. I am an average MD applicant stat-wise other then a terrible SVI score. Step1 240 and Step2 241. I have a fair number of publications and EC. I honored my away Sub-I and near honored my home sub-internship so I was hopeful that my SLOEs would be ok, but I am assuming they did not turn out as great as I had hoped. Is EM just way more competitive this year or what? Beside the SVI, what did I do wrong??

I am going to apply to more programs today, but any advise out there for picking programs that are looking for someone like me? Are there plenty of schools that are just waiting to send out interviews to the next tier as the top one starts canceling? All the promises of "waves" seemed to pass me by. :( Am I screwed at this point ? ?

I highly doubt it that you're screwed man. You'll be fine, you have above average stats and 2 solid SLOE grades. It's possible your places just haven't gotten to you yet, or are sifting through the 250's and 260's to get to you.

I can't imagine that 1 year would change the field's competitiveness all together. It's probably just still early and you'll be gotten to when programs start having cancellations from these god level EM candidates.

This is me, to a shockingly exact 'T'. I keep being told it's early. It's tough to stay level-headed when following the spreadsheet and going ons on here/Meddit, but I think there are a lot of us in the same boat. Don't get me wrong, I'm anxious as hell, but the advice GamerEMdoc and my own PDs have told me is November 1st is the date to pay attention to. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong and there is something applicants in our shoes should be doing! It pains me to think I would have to consider switching fields but if my SLOEs truly just aren't competitive then I want to know there's no hope sooner rather than when it's too late...

Reactions: 1 users

Similar story for me. DO, 261/259, average SVI, H/HP with good comments on my SLOEs from what I saw. Heard nothing but 1 rejection yesterday and today. I'm trying to stay calm, but it's not working very well right now.

From current interns, a couple said that they sent out a second wave of invites at around this time of year and heard nothing from them. Beyond that, I don't have advice for you on that front.

Let's stay strong!

Can I get a verbal commitment from everyone on this thread who posts "how hosed am I?" comments: On Match Monday, edit your comment with an update saying you matched.

Seriously, it'll help provide hard evidence to combat the inevitable Class of 2020 ERAS blues.

Reactions: 8 users
Can I get a verbal commitment from everyone on this thread who posts "how hosed am I?" comments: On Match Monday, edit your comment with an update saying you matched.

Seriously, it'll help provide hard evidence to combat the inevitable Class of 2020 ERAS blues.
I'm in.

Oh yes I will totally commit to that! It would really help to be able to know that all the anxious people from last year actually pulled through! Right now it's hard to convince myself that the anxious ones actually did make it and aren't in a different field not checking these posts at all.

I'm in.

I really appreciate all of your responses. Makes me feel less crazy. I will try to keep my head up until November rolls in. :)

I'm in as well

I just joined so haven't posted a "how hosed am I" comment. Yet.....

Will come back to update here so others after me can see what happens when you screw up as much as I have.

I FREAKIN' MATCHED!!!!!

4 ranks.

Last edited:
I highly doubt it that you're screwed man. You'll be fine, you have above average stats and 2 solid SLOE grades. It's possible your places just haven't gotten to you yet, or are sifting through the 250's and 260's to get to you.

I can't imagine that 1 year would change the field's competitiveness all together. It's probably just still early and you'll be gotten to when programs start having cancellations from these god level EM candidates.

I'm a DO with a 220s step score and 17 interviews so far including competitive northeast MD programs. It's about more than just board scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one cares.

Guys are trying to pump each other up. Bragging about your "17" interviews isn't helping theses fellas
Lmaooooo for real. Like ****, I have more than I anticipated but less than I want ultimately; at this point I think I’m going to stop checking this thread because of posts like this. It’s ridiculous.

My anxiety is through the roof to begin with.

Not to beat a dead horse with the "am I screwed?" theme, but am I screwed?

I'm from a lower tier Midwest program, 253/258, AOA, lots of non-EM research, good extra-curriculars, etc. but I'm sitting on 5 invites right now (1 home, 2 aways, 2 others and 2 outright rejections) and I'm getting very anxious. The only red flag I can think of is that I only got a Pass on my home AI (which I didn't know about until last week). I asked my APD about the potential effect of that and he said he didn't think it would be significant which I took to mean the SLOE must not be that bad. I was told my other SLOE was strong and I'm anticipating the same from the away I'm finishing up now, but am I screwed? Should I add more programs or does that not even really make a difference at this point?

Applied to ~35 programs in the Midwest and East Coast, nothing too top heavy mainly mid-tier academic places.

I also want to know....
When you get waitlisted, do you typically email them to let them know you want to stay on their waitlist? Or do you wait until you get off it?

Also, does anyone have any example letters of interest for programs? I have no idea how short/long they're supposed to be.

My big screw up was last year withdrawing from ACGME match after not matching AOA

DO reapplicant from a TRI, 524/545, no red flags, Strong SLOE's. Multiple Honors. Sitting on 3 interviews: Home EM program I'm attached to, One utterly unexpected new program, and one from an ACGME/former AOA program I interviewed at last year. Applied to 54 programs total. Mostly community, former AOA and some Hail Mary academic programs that are DO friendly. Will be at ACOEP and hit up the residency fair. Hopefully get a couple that way. If I don't hear from my #1 ACGME I interviewed at last year, I'll send an LOI in November.

No one cares.

Guys are trying to pump each other up. Bragging about your "17" interviews isn't helping theses fellas

Maybe so. But commenting about not having enough interviews yet because 'I'm from X great school and have X board score' is just as bad. That insinuates that you should be getting interviews, based on those facts alone, before other people. Ie, not helping the majority of fellas who read these threads and come from a school with less of a reputation or have lower board scores.

Reactions: 3 users
Maybe so. But commenting about not having enough interviews yet because 'I'm from X great school and have X board score' is just as bad. That insinuates that you should be getting interviews, based on those facts alone, before other people. Ie, not helping the majority of fellas who read these threads and come from a school with less of a reputation or have lower board scores.

Not to beat a dead horse with the "am I screwed?" theme, but am I screwed?

I'm from a lower tier Midwest program, 253/258, AOA, lots of non-EM research, good extra-curriculars, etc. but I'm sitting on 5 invites right now (1 home, 2 aways, 2 others and 2 outright rejections) and I'm getting very anxious. The only red flag I can think of is that I only got a Pass on my home AI (which I didn't know about until last week). I asked my APD about the potential effect of that and he said he didn't think it would be significant which I took to mean the SLOE must not be that bad. I was told my other SLOE was strong and I'm anticipating the same from the away I'm finishing up now, but am I screwed? Should I add more programs or does that not even really make a difference at this point?

Applied to ~35 programs in the Midwest and East Coast, nothing too top heavy mainly mid-tier academic places.

@MacNCheese perfect example of what I said. The first things listed as reasons are school rank, board scores, class rank. What about personal statement? Background? Life experience? Hobbies? Those are the things that make you stick out as an applicant. Not how you performed on one 8hr test.

I like how you conveniently didnt mention your 260+ step 2 lmao

Def the individual those with low board scores can look up to for hope haha

I haven't seen a single poster 'anxious about interviews' with low board scores. And this isn't about just board scores, that is exactly my point. If you're going to say I'm not being supportive by being honest about the number of interviews I've received then I will call you hypocritical for not calling out these 'anxious' posters with 'I have a 250 and I'm in AOA' as also being unsupportive.

I'll be withdrawing from around 8-10 this weekend, hopefully they go to you guys.

Reactions: 2 users
For the "How hosed am I"

I'm from a mid tier Mid west allopathic school, above avg Step 1 with a P (from an away that's pretty tough with their grading) & HP (from home) and assuming bottom 1/3 to middle 1/3 SLOES on 2 EM rotations. Applied to more than 60 programs across the country, most in the Midwest. Currently only have 2 invites and 3 rejections.

Well past the freaking out phase, currently starting to plan for another career with my MD :(

Last edited:
For the "How hosed am I"

I'm from a mid tier Mid west allopathic school, 237 Step 1 with a P (from an away that's pretty tough with their grading) & HP (from home) and assuming average to above average SLOES on 2 EM rotations. Applied to more than 60 programs across the country, most in the Midwest. Currently only have 2 invites and 3 rejections.

Well past the freaking out phase, currently starting to plan for another career with my MD :(

Same boat as you, friend. Two away exit interviews, two invites. Plus two tasty rejections in one day yesterday to boot. I'm hoping next week will be better to us both. But set up an appointment with your EM advisor, maybe there's a way for you to apply more strategically.

Yeah man for sure.

Also, all you nancies railing on each other, please chill. That's why no one likes SDN.

Same boat as you, friend. Two away exit interviews, two invites. Plus two tasty rejections in one day yesterday to boot. I'm hoping next week will be better to us both. But set up an appointment with your EM advisor, maybe there's a way for you to apply more strategically.

Actually did talk to my advisor yesterday. He told me to give it a couple weeks before getting worried. Also helps that people from my school only have a few invites and are also freaking out, at least I'm not alone :/

So I just realized I uploaded all my SLOEs as "Department Chair" letters. Is this something I should e-mail ERAS and get changed? Or am I just being neurotic thinking that could be a contributor to my poor number of IIs?

It doesn't matter what you check. The only difference is when we look at your ERAS application it will say "LoR" or "Dept. Chair LoR" under the LoR section, but it doesn't change how it looks or anything like that. When I get SLOE requests it seems like it is 50/50 whether or not they check it.

Per AAMC:
3,532 took SVI in 2017-2018 (prior) cycle.
3,393 took SVI in 2018-2019 (current) cycle.

=> ~4% few applicants this year (not counting the few who may not take the SVI for various reasons).
=> if there are more applications this year, it's due more applications per applicant, not more applicants.

Reactions: 4 users
Per AAMC:
3,532 took SVI in 2017-2018 (prior) cycle.
3,393 took SVI in 2018-2019 (current) cycle.

=> ~4% few applicants this year (not counting the few who may not take the SVI for various reasons).
=> if there are more applications this year, it's due more applications per applicant, not more applicants.

Interesting — good catch! Yeah, the problem with having SLOEs be so important and most of us having no *real* data on what exactly we got on our SLOEs will continue to result in application inflation. I say just let student’s know exactly how they did and what they’re being ranked... though I can imagine some then raising hell, petitioning their schools to change their grade, etc :(. I see no solution to the problem other than something involving bidirectional transparency, but no idea how to do it in a way that benefits CD, students, and residency programs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting — good catch! Yeah, the problem with having SLOEs be so important and most of us having no *real* data on what exactly we got on our SLOEs will continue to result in application inflation. I say just let student’s know exactly how they did and what they’re being ranked... though I can imagine some then raising hell, petitioning their schools to change their grade, etc :(. I see no solution to the problem other than something involving bidirectional transparency, but no idea how to do it in a way that benefits CD, students, and residency programs.

Definitely something that I think deserves more discussion. My advisor almost fell off her chair when I told her how many programs I was applying to, and tried to talk me into applying to fewer, but I felt that I had to given that it's impossible to know based on end-of-rotation feedback precisely how good your SLOEs will be (I got enough feedback to know they wouldn't be terrible unless someone was lying to me, but it's that elusive difference between middle 1/3 and top 1/3 or 10% that is so hard for us as students to know). Quite frankly, given the very slow trickle of invites I've had, I'm thinking its a good thing I applied to as many as I did. I definitely see EM applications per applicant continuing to increase quickly in the coming years. If so, I think we'll just see a gradual increase in the number of interview invitations that get sent and a pushing-back of the timeline for most applicants, as more and more applicants have to wait for the "superstar" applicants to turn down some of their 20+ invites before the rest of us get enough to quell our panic.

I applied to 78 programs myself, have above average stats, and from the feels of my first interview my SLOEs are pretty positive.

So if the magic number is 10-12, are you guys counting your audition rotation interviews in that number?

I applied to 78 programs myself, have above average stats, and from the feels of my first interview my SLOEs are pretty positive.

So if the magic number is 10-12, are you guys counting your audition rotation interviews in that number?

Yup, the magic 12 number comes from Charting Outcomes' mean number of contiguous ranks for matched US MDs.

Yup, the magic 12 number comes from Charting Outcomes' mean number of contiguous ranks for matched US MDs.

I personally think going on 12 is probably too many for most candidates. I think the reason that 12 is the "magic number" is because those candidates got 12 or more interviews, not because they went on that many. I'd love to see the data of how many of the candidates that went on 12 interviews matched at their 10-12th program. I'd imagine that percentage is very very very low. The 12 number is more a validation of the strength of a candidates application than it is some magic number you have to force yourself to go on. I cancelled and declined a ton of interviews and only went on about 8 because I was certain I would match at one of my top 2 and only went on others that could possibly change my mind.

My point of all of this is, if you are sitting on 27 interview invites, you probably don't NEED to go to 12 interviews if you don't want to. Go on 15 if you want, go on 10 if you want. Go to the places you think you really may want to go to, rather than just trying to hit a specific number.

Reactions: 5 users
I personally think going on 12 is probably too many for most candidates. I think the reason that 12 is the "magic number" is because those candidates got 12 or more interviews, not because they went on that many. I'd love to see the data of how many of the candidates that went on 12 interviews matched at their 10-12th program. I'd imagine that percentage is very very very low. The 12 number is more a validation of the strength of a candidates application than it is some magic number you have to force yourself to go on. I cancelled and declined a ton of interviews and only went on about 8 because I was certain I would match at one of my top 2 and only went on others that could possibly change my mind.

My point of all of this is, if you are sitting on 27 interview invites, you probably don't NEED to go to 12 interviews if you don't want to. Go on 15 if you want, go on 10 if you want. Go to the places you think you really may want to go to, rather than just trying to hit a specific number.

This brings up a good point. A program gets a lot of information about an applicant from their file and SLOEs. What role does the interview play in regards to how you'll rank a candidate?

This brings up a good point. A program gets a lot of information about an applicant from their file and SLOEs. What role does the interview play in regards to how you'll rank a candidate?

A big one. At least to me, the interview is one of the more important parts if the application.

A big one. At least to me, the interview is one of the more important parts if the application.

What are you looking for in the interview that influences how you rank an applicant? Thanks again for all of your insight / sharing insider knowledge !

I haven't seen a single poster 'anxious about interviews' with low board scores. And this isn't about just board scores, that is exactly my point. If you're going to say I'm not being supportive by being honest about the number of interviews I've received then I will call you hypocritical for not calling out these 'anxious' posters with 'I have a 250 and I'm in AOA' as also being unsupportive.

I guess I will be the one to do it then...
I am an EM applicant with COMLEX I: 460 COMLEX II: 495 and Lower Quartile in my class
I have three SLOES one of which I know was Honors. The other two I did not inquire information about
Currently, I am sitting on 10 interviews. 8 ACGME and 2 AOA
4 of those 8 interviews are AIs
Im also a single parent that worked full time while going to medical school...I don't know if that has anything to do with it. It does explain my low academic performance.

I don't know if I will match, I am freaking out too. But to EVERYBODY out there, you've got this! What one person lacks, might be something that you have. OWN IT!

Reactions: 3 users
I guess I will be the one to do it then...
I am an EM applicant with COMLEX I: 460 COMLEX II: 495 and Lower Quartile in my class
I have three SLOES one of which I know was Honors. The other two I did not inquire information about
Currently, I am sitting on 10 interviews. 8 ACGME and 2 AOA
4 of those 8 interviews are AIs
Im also a single parent that worked full time while going to medical school...I don't know if that has anything to do with it. It does explain my low academic performance.

I don't know if I will match, I am freaking out too. But to EVERYBODY out there, you've got this! What one person lacks, might be something that you have. OWN IT!

Just to add a data point. My scores are approximately COMLEX I 450, COMLEX II 620 with 1 SLOE, waiting on my 2nd. Currently at 4 interviews, 2/4 from places I did an away rotation at.

Really hoping next week brings some good vibes :xf:

Just to add a data point. My scores are approximately COMLEX I 450, COMLEX II 620 with 1 SLOE, waiting on my 2nd. Currently at 4 interviews, 2/4 from places I did an away rotation at.

Really hoping next week brings some good vibes :xf:

Awesome bounceback on level II!

Quick question if someone can shed some light. I have 6 interviews 4 from auditions and 2 additional. I only have one SLOE in (pretty sure it was just a Pass so not very impressive being my first) I have 2 more SLOEs that I am very anxiously waiting on. I got very positive feedback from attending‘s and residents. My question is I’ve been receiving a few rejections and worried that it is because I only have one SLOE in so far. Will programs automatically decide to reject my application at this point because there is only one in? Is it possible they will wait for additional letters to be uploaded before jumping the gun?

Quick question if someone can shed some light. I have 6 interviews 4 from auditions and 2 additional. I only have one SLOE in (pretty sure it was just a Pass so not very impressive being my first) I have 2 more SLOEs that I am very anxiously waiting on. I got very positive feedback from attending‘s and residents. My question is I’ve been receiving a few rejections and worried that it is because I only have one SLOE in so far. Will programs automatically decide to reject my application at this point because there is only one in? Is it possible they will wait for additional letters to be uploaded before jumping the gun?
I don't have your answer but do have a related question. Do programs reload applications after they send out their first batch of invites? So say the above poster uploads his/her additional SLOEs, will the PDs look again and see that those are in there? Or do they already likely have their second group chosen for invites?

I ask because I applied to several more programs after the first wave of invitations went out and I'm worried that it was for nothing since I didn't apply to those earlier in the season.

Nicest rejection email goes to University of Maryland lmao

Reactions: 7 users
What are you looking for in the interview that influences how you rank an applicant? Thanks again for all of your insight / sharing insider knowledge !

How they fit in with the team vibe of our residency. Their poise, their sense of humor, their interests outside of medicine.

What did it say?
"Thank you for your interest in the University of Maryland Emergency Medicine Residency Program. Since I know that this is an anxiety provoking time and not hearing anything from a program can be torture; we wanted to update everybody our status of reviewing applications.

This has been a challenging year for our selection committee who have spent the last 4 weeks looking through >1450 applications. We do not use filters to screen people out because we know there are some great people that might have had a misstep. This year, the committee was truly amazed at how accomplished and productive everybody has been. A common comment is that they are lucky to have already done residency as they would not even select themselves for an interview with todays standards. This has clearly been the hardest year to narrow our list down to the 130 people that we can interview.

Unfortunately, after careful review the committee has determine that they cannot extend an invitation for you to interview this year. We realize that this process is imperfect and we might have missed out on the next Peter Rosen or Judy Tintinalli, which is what makes this so much more difficult for you and us.

The entire faculty and staff at the University of Maryland Emergency Medicine program truly hopes that you have an amazing and productive career in Emergency Medicine, and if there is anything we can do for you in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Best of luck with your career, and I hope you get your #1 choice in the match,"

"Thank you for your interest in the University of Maryland Emergency Medicine Residency Program. Since I know that this is an anxiety provoking time and not hearing anything from a program can be torture; we wanted to update everybody our status of reviewing applications.

This has been a challenging year for our selection committee who have spent the last 4 weeks looking through >1450 applications. We do not use filters to screen people out because we know there are some great people that might have had a misstep. This year, the committee was truly amazed at how accomplished and productive everybody has been. A common comment is that they are lucky to have already done residency as they would not even select themselves for an interview with todays standards. This has clearly been the hardest year to narrow our list down to the 130 people that we can interview.

Unfortunately, after careful review the committee has determine that they cannot extend an invitation for you to interview this year. We realize that this process is imperfect and we might have missed out on the next Peter Rosen or Judy Tintinalli, which is what makes this so much more difficult for you and us.

The entire faculty and staff at the University of Maryland Emergency Medicine program truly hopes that you have an amazing and productive career in Emergency Medicine, and if there is anything we can do for you in the future, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Wow... holistic review of >1450 applications? [[[slow clap]]]

Glad to see they haven't changed the wording in the last 2 years.

Reactions: 8 users
I realized this morning that I inadvertently left off one of the programs that I meant to apply to. I submitted it, which is the first step but am unsure if it will be futile. My application is strong and I have received interviews at nearly every program I have applied to thus far. Looking for some advice @gamerEMdoc and from other PDs on what to do. Pretty devastated but realize nothing I can do to change it other than future steps to remedy the situation. Thanks.

I realized this morning that I inadvertently left off one of the programs that I meant to apply to. I submitted it, which is the first step but am unsure if it will be futile. My application is strong and I have received interviews at nearly every program I have applied to thus far. Looking for some advice @gamerEMdoc and from other PDs on what to do. Pretty devastated but realize nothing I can do to change it other than future steps to remedy the situation. Thanks.

Just email the program coordinator about the mistake. They’ll probably get you in for an interview.