[2018-2019] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I should clarify though, I still wholeheartedly believe if you are counting your total number of interviews in October as your final number, you are jumping the gun. I think many of the folks who are really freaking out (understandably so) will hopefully feel much better about their situation a month from now, because more than likely, this will just be like any other year and the interviews will trickle in.

I've never been a big SDN guy til this interview season, but I'm glad that I started because you definitely help a lot of us keep our heads screwed on straight. Lot of my friends who are never posters read this too. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, hopefully I'm right. I mean, I said the same things last year, and the year before, and people were fine. Every year, its the same understandable concerns. I certainly hope its no different this year. If one of these years EM reaches a tipping point where it gets so competitive that it squeezes all the middle 1/3 folks out, then it's time to adjust the advise we give students. But I don't think this will be that year.

Reactions: 4 users
One last post to give people some positive vibes:

Last year there were 2278 spots in EM. 2693 people applied to EM. So 415 people went unmatched in EM in total (many of which likely matched into a backup). Which means 85% of people that applied to EM matched in EM last year. The number is higher for allopathic seniors, who had a 90% match rate.

I just don't believe there will be a swing so far that we'll see the middle group get squeezed out when there was an 85% match rate just one year prior.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
One last post to give people some positive vibes:

Last year there were 2278 spots in EM. 2693 people applied to EM. So 415 people went unmatched in EM in total (many of which likely matched into a backup). Which means 85% of people that applied to EM matched in EM last year. The number is higher for allopathic seniors, who had a 90% match rate.

I just don't believe there will be a swing so far that we'll see the middle group get squeezed out when there was an 85% match rate just one year prior.

Preliminary ERAS data is out for this year as of yesterday:

https://www.aamc.org/download/358760/data/residency.xlsx

ERAS Statistics - ERAS - Services - AAMC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You CAN'T be suggesting that everyone's overreacting to the dearth of interviews, right?

Who me?!

I will say, if the number of candidates end up being about the same as last year, one of two scenarios will play out:

1. Interview invites for the middle 1/3 are truly down, taken up by top 10 and top 1/3 folks going on way to many interviews.

OR

2. People will get there interviews with time, and everyone is freaking out unnecessarily

If scenario #1 happens, and there are tons of people taking 20-25 interviews, and none of them are trickling down, then that just means there will be a ton of unfilled spots this year to scramble into, since programs wouldn't be interviewing people they actually have a chance of matching.

But I believe scenario #2 is the most likely, and I doubt this year will be any different at the end than the previous two years.

Soooo I posted a few pages back about whether or not I was screwed (starting to think I certainly am screwed), but so far I've received two EM/IM interviews and 2 EM-only interviews. That's it. At this point I'm just wondering if there is ANYTHING I can do to get more interviews? I feel like the only thing I can think of is sending LOI's but I feel like that is unlikely to get me much of anywhere. Does anyone have any ideas?

Stats:
Step 1 238
Step 2 250
Comlex 1 704
Comlex 2 658
Failed comlex PE, retook it last week and am hoping for the best :(
Svi of 14 :(
3 out of 3 SLOEs
Good extracurriculars, 2 service related scholarships
Top quartile of class
Former ER scribe for 2.5 years

I recently received a rejection from a place I auditioned at and was told by the PD one of my SLOEs was what caused him to do it. I think I know which program it was based on my school eval and I am actually really shocked because I worked my butt off there and got along with everyone I worked with. There was one doctor I worked with who I made a joke to about my patient presentation, saying "Are you ready for an amazing presentation?" before presenting (I guess that was just my like nervous intro before presenting for the first time to this doctor) which I guess he took as me being full of myself. But then I explained that I was just joking and that my presentation would probably be just average but then he basically said I shouldn't joke like that. ANYWAY, at this particular rotation, most of the physicians don't actually respond to eval requests from the students (not just me, happened to other people who rotate there) but unfortunately, this particular doctor DID do an eval for me and I think he basically may have screwed me because of that little joke. I only got like 8 evals from like the 20 I requested at that site and his eval was one of those 8. The rest of the rotation I think I killed it and did a good job on my case presentation and end of rotation exam.

REGARDLESS, I'm in contact with that site currently to see what exactly happened with my SLOE but of course have heard nothing back yet.

I have one final audition at UCSF Fresno currently so I'm hoping to maybe get a good SLOE from them to somehow cure my application slightly. Otherwise, what can I possibly do at this point? Nothing, right?

Sorry for the long post, everything I write is just in too much detail I'm afraid.

TL;DR: Few interviews, what can I do at this point to try to obtain more?

P.S. I already have some IM applications sent out and am considering sending out more. I have two IM-only interviews as well.

Last edited:
Soooo I posted a few pages back about whether or not I was screwed (starting to think I certainly am screwed), but so far I've received two EM/IM interviews and 2 EM-only interviews. That's it. At this point I'm just wondering if there is ANYTHING I can do to get more interviews? I feel like the only thing I can think of is sending LOI's but I feel like that is unlikely to get me much of anywhere. Does anyone have any ideas?

Stats:
Step 1 238
Step 2 250
Comlex 1 704
Comlex 2 658
Failed comlex PE, retook it last week and am hoping for the best :(
Svi of 14 :(
3 out of 3 SLOEs
Good extracurriculars, 2 service related scholarships
Top quartile of class
Former ER scribe for 2.5 years

I recently received a rejection from a place I auditioned at and was told by the PD one of my SLOEs was what caused him to do it. I think I know which program it was based on my school eval and I am actually really shocked because I worked my butt off there and got along with everyone I worked with. There was one doctor I worked with who I made a joke to about my patient presentation, saying "Are you ready for an amazing presentation?" before presenting (I guess that was just my like nervous intro before presenting for the first time to this doctor) which I guess he took as me being full of myself. But then I explained that I was just joking and that my presentation would probably be just average but then he basically said I shouldn't joke like that. ANYWAY, at this particular rotation, most of the physicians don't actually respond to eval requests from the students (not just me, happened to other people who rotate there) but unfortunately, this particular doctor DID do an eval for me and I think he basically may have screwed me because of that little joke. I only got like 8 evals from like the 20 I requested at that site and his eval was one of those 8. The rest of the rotation I think I killed it and did a good job on my case presentation and end of rotation exam.

REGARDLESS, I'm in contact with that site currently to see what exactly happened with my SLOE but of course have heard nothing back yet.

I have one final audition at UCSF Fresno currently so I'm hoping to maybe get a good SLOE from them to somehow cure my application slightly. Otherwise, what can I possibly do at this point? Nothing, right?

Sorry for the long post, everything I write is just in too much detail I'm afraid.

TL;DR: Few interviews, what can I do at this point to try to obtain more?

P.S. I already have some IM applications sent out and am considering sending out more. I have two IM-only interviews as well.

I highly doubt a simple joke killed you SLOE at that site. The failed COMLEX and low SVI make me wonder if there is something with the way you are perceived by others that is turning them off. I mean, without reading your SLOEs, that's a big assumption, but those are the only two measures of "interpersonal skills" that one can glean from what you said above, and you struggled with both.

Hey Everyone!

For those looking to add another EM Residency to your application list, take a look at Northwell Health's newest program at Southside Hospital.

It is a 3 year EM program recruiting for its inaugural class this year. ACGME certified with the backing of one of the nation's larges Health Systems as well as the Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. Located in Bayshore, New York, on the south shore of Long Island.

All applications are welcome through ERAS

hey guys, using a throwaway for the sake of anonymity but I just got my step 2 score back- a DO applicant with
Step 1-220, step 2-literally the same score. ~530s, 550s on level 1, 2 respectively and pass on PE. When I initially applied I ultimately received ~8 interviews, 1 waitlist but nearly half of my interviews are from away rotations. I'm devastated considering some of the aways, several do require both a step 1 and step 2 score. There's really no justification to why this happened, felt more prepared this time around too but I'm assuming taking it so late played a part into this. My question is, do I release the score to programs or not- it's only going to hurt me but then again, I'm not a strong applicant to begin with. Thoughts?

hey guys, using a throwaway for the sake of anonymity but I just got my step 2 score back- a DO applicant with
Step 1-220, step 2-literally the same score. ~530s, 550s on level 1, 2 respectively and pass on PE. When I initially applied I ultimately received ~8 interviews, 1 waitlist but nearly half of my interviews are from away rotations. I'm devastated considering some of the aways, several do require both a step 1 and step 2 score. There's really no justification to why this happened, felt more prepared this time around too but I'm assuming taking it so late played a part into this. My question is, do I release the score to programs or not- it's only going to hurt me but then again, I'm not a strong applicant to begin with. Thoughts?

Since you felt the need to copy and paste this in multiple threads, I'll copy what I posted in the other thread here:

I don't think it matters to be honest. Your COMLEX stayed the same as well. If you don't release it, programs will think you either didn't take it, or bombed the test. Release it, and they'll know you stayed the same. Regardless, it'll be your clinical performance (SLOEs and the rotation performance at all those aways) and how you interview that's going to be the driving factor in whether or not you match.

Hey Everyone!

For those looking to add another EM Residency to your application list, take a look at Northwell Health's newest program at Southside Hospital.

It is a 3 year EM program recruiting for its inaugural class this year. ACGME certified with the backing of one of the nation's larges Health Systems as well as the Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell. Located in Bayshore, New York, on the south shore of Long Island.

I just checked that one out on ERAS, but it's listed as being Primary Care, not as Emergency Medicine. Applying to that one will be for EM right?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@gamerEMdoc I was wondering if you care at all if applicants have an active EMRA/ACEP membership. I joined at the start of med school but let mine lapse because I wasn't really doing much with it.

@gamerEMdoc I was wondering if you care at all if applicants have an active EMRA/ACEP membership. I joined at the start of med school but let mine lapse because I wasn't really doing much with it.
I speak on behalf of everyone who's ever lived when I say no one cares even a little.

Reactions: 6 users
Hey Everyone!

There are 3 programs listed for Northwell. The one in Bay Shore says it is for primary care. The other 2 are listed as being in Staten Island and Manhasset. I would love to apply.

thanks!

What surely said. I don't even look at what clubs people are in. I don't really care. I look for leadership positions, but what clubs you want to join and attend while in med school has zero bearing on how good of a resident that you will be.

Aaand the rejections keep piling in. Got Beth Israel and Carolinas so far today. Only 3 invites in total, and two were at places where I rotated... Everyday is like a emotional rollercoaster eeeeveryday.

Aaand the rejections keep piling in. Got Beth Israel and Carolinas so far today. Only 3 invites in total, and two were at places where I rotated... Everyday is like a emotional rollercoaster eeeeveryday.
Ditto :(

Only have 2 invites so far. 10+ rejections. The hope is gone

Got my rejection from Carolinas as well, even though I already withdrew prior to invite two weeks ago. You can't fire me, I already quit!

Right? I'm up to four, including two I rotated at. I'm surprised because I have no red flags, my grades/test scores are fine and my application materials are well above average. According to my program director, students who are middle-tier candidates academically just aren't seeing a lot of interviews yet. I emailed program coordinators this week, and that seemed to help a little bit (got an invite from Brooklyn the next day).

Are they ever going to see any invites? I got nothing this week.

I think they'll keep trickling in. I got 2 this week, and I had not gotten any before then. My PD mentioned that middle-tier applicants just aren't getting a lot of invites yet. Hoping for a different late Oct/early Nov.

Couldnt remember what page it was on in this thread, and google didnt do me too many favors, so i apologize for the redundancy.

I have a new SLOE and final SLOE (my 1st was middle 1/3, my 2nd was a top 1/3, this final is 10% [I believe from what she said in email about the SLOE status but who actually knows]). Theres 4-5 programs I would really like to hear from, and havent been rejected yet. I'm not thirsty for interviews, but think the new SLOE could help, and dont know if PD's/committees get wind if an application gets updated.

thanks, sorry for redudancy again.

Right? I'm up to four, including two I rotated at. I'm surprised because I have no red flags, my grades/test scores are fine and my application materials are well above average. According to my program director, students who are middle-tier candidates academically just aren't seeing a lot of interviews yet. I emailed program coordinators this week, and that seemed to help a little bit (got an invite from Brooklyn the next day).

Are they ever going to see any invites? I got nothing this week.

For all those who are struck with anxiety right now, I talked to three different residents at different institutions across the US this week, and they all told me that they got 3/4 of their interviews in November; and these folks matched between 1-3 years ago.

I'm also worried and am in the same boat, but the more residents and faculty I reach out to, the better I feel about my chances and where I'm at. And, the busier I stay, the less I think about it; when we get left to our thoughts and insecurities is when we get ourselves in trouble (or at least I do). This is a good time to pick up those long lost hobbies or researching other adult stuff like how we're gonna battle our loan burden or planning that trip after the match.

Not saying I'm good at this quite yet, but it's just what's helping my friends and I truck through interview season; maybe it will work for you.

"If you treat every situation as a life or death matter, you'll die a lot of times."

Reactions: 3 users
For all those who are struck with anxiety right now, I talked to three different residents at different institutions across the US this week, and they all told me that they got 3/4 of their interviews in November; and these folks matched between 1-3 years ago.

I'm also worried and am in the same boat, but the more residents and faculty I reach out to, the better I feel about my chances and where I'm at. And, the busier I stay, the less I think about it; when we get left to our thoughts and insecurities is when we get ourselves in trouble (or at least I do). This is a good time to pick up those long lost hobbies or researching other adult stuff like how we're gonna battle our loan burden or planning that trip after the match.

Not saying I'm good at this quite yet, but it's just what's helping my friends and I truck through interview season; maybe it will work for you.

"If you treat every situation as a life or death matter, you'll die a lot of times."

I'm hearing the same thing, but I have to admit, the anxiety is really killing me - my email inbox literally dictates my mood for the day. Good call with the hobbies. We all finally have some free time, yet are to absorbed by this process to make good use of it.

+1 I heard this as well from at least 3 residents

Thanks for the pick me up!

To tag on to what you (and to try to stay positive), one of the residents at my school's program told me he randomly got called by my school's program in January, saying that they had an interview spot and asking if he wanted to come interview. He went and enjoyed it, ended up ranking them 1st and matched here. He told me he had 21-22 interviews that he went to.

Every year I say this, and every year I'll come back and saying it again. You can't guage your number of interviews in October. That's just not how this works. I get that everyone wants to get to that reassuring number as quickly as possible. But unless you are a top tier candidate, it just doesn't happen that way. Interviews come in waves. Typically if you are sitting at 5-6 interviews in October, you probably will get close to 10 or more by the time the whole thing is over. Keep calm, don't overthink the process. Do something else than checking your email 50 times a day. May I suggest playing Red Dead Redemption 2?

Reactions: 8 users
I agree with this in theory but how can we apply this when the system is first come first serve? I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been on a rotations with 4th years who have frantically signed up for IVs after checking their email cause they know that if they wait more than 5 minutes that all the seats will be gone.

My best friend, lost out her dream program. Her email received to sign up for a seat time was under 2 minutes... it’s just insane nowadays. :(

I really dislike that some programs send out interview invites this way. The idea of sending out 200 invites for 70 spots and the first 50 people that reply get the interviews, is completely insane to me. It’s just lazy from the programs standpoint imo.

O ok, so this isn't how its done at most places? I'm a third year, and obviously ignorant :). I got the impression from my friends that it's how most places do it. Is this incorrect? If so, would you mind sharing how most places do things (though, I'm assuming there really isn't a one-size-fits-all process).

Thank you, doctor! :)

I dont think there is a standard, and as always I can only tell you how we do things, I certainly cant speak for 200 programs. We basically send out invites in small batches until they are all filled.

Every year I say this, and every year I'll come back and saying it again. You can't guage your number of interviews in October. That's just not how this works. I get that everyone wants to get to that reassuring number as quickly as possible. But unless you are a top tier candidate, it just doesn't happen that way. Interviews come in waves. Typically if you are sitting at 5-6 interviews in October, you probably will get close to 10 or more by the time the whole thing is over. Keep calm, don't overthink the process. Do something else than checking your email 50 times a day. May I suggest playing Red Dead Redemption 2?
Is it really that good? I keep hearing great things about it and wondering if it is worth the hype.

Last edited:
@gamerEMdoc Im curious as to your take on applying/ranking a residency program that serves a predominently Spanish speaking population. English is my first and only language so I was wondering if you think this will be a barrier to my education? I have a feeling that learning how to become an attending physician will be tough as it is and I am not sure if trying to learn Spanish at the same time will hinder my progress. Thoughts on this?

@gamerEMdoc Im curious as to your take on applying/ranking a residency program that serves a predominently Spanish speaking population. English is my first and only language so I was wondering if you think this will be a barrier to my education? I have a feeling that learning how to become an attending physician will be tough as it is and I am not sure if trying to learn Spanish at the same time will hinder my progress. Thoughts on this?

It really is going to depend on the program. Some programs like this will give a strong preference to people who are fluently bilingual, but for some it won't matter as much. If you're rolling into a place like Miami, most of those patients are bilingual themselves, but if you're hitting up El Paso, it could be a different story. With that being said, it is a requirement for hospitals to have translators, you just better hope it's an in-house one and not the dreaded phone.

Well, you generally don't HAVE to learn the language, although it would be useful. Personally it wouldn't be worth the hassle to me training in a place where the majority of the people spoke another language that I did not, because I hate waiting for a translator or setting up that stupid language line phone (It's just very impersonal to practice medicine by talking through a 3 way phone) and I think it would be really hard to learn another language while in residency if that was your plan. If the population is predominantly Spanish speaking, I'd imagine many of the nurses and ancillary staff and other docs would speak Spanish as well and probably would help translate. I just would dislike the idea of most of my patients histories being filtered through a translator no matter what though.

If you got an interview invite but cannot make any of the open available dates because of other interviews is it appropriate to email that program and ask if there is any way to book another date?

Too late to add a program right now that I just found out about?
If it's a new program that got added to ERAS after 9/15, it's definitely not too late. Otherwise... I mean, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take, but I think it would be low-yield.

All quiet on the western front....

Feeling nervous now. I made a last minute switch to EM back in september. Currently scheduled 5 EM interviews, and 5 anesthesia backups.

Hoping that trickle comes soon.

Feeling nervous now. I made a last minute switch to EM back in september. Currently scheduled 5 EM interviews, and 5 anesthesia backups.

Hoping that trickle comes soon.

Dude you're doing better than me, only 4 in total here, and quiet allllll weeeeek

My big screw up was last year withdrawing from ACGME match after not matching AOA

DO reapplicant from a TRI, 524/545, no red flags, Strong SLOE's. Multiple Honors. Sitting on 3 interviews: Home EM program I'm attached to, One utterly unexpected new program, and one from an ACGME/former AOA program I interviewed at last year. Applied to 54 programs total. Mostly community, former AOA and some Hail Mary academic programs that are DO friendly. Will be at ACOEP and hit up the residency fair. Hopefully get a couple that way. If I don't hear from my #1 ACGME I interviewed at last year, I'll send an LOI in November.

Hey just wanted to know, why you thought it was a screw up withdrawing from the ACGME after not matching AOA?

Hey just wanted to know, why you thought it was a screw up withdrawing from the ACGME after not matching AOA?

I reached out to everywhere I had interviewed after the match for feedback, and turned out that one had me ranked to match. My gut was telling me to see it through, but I was going by the Charting Outcomes data and the advice I got was to take a TRI and not risk it.

It's definitely a screw up in recent years. There aren't that many AOA programs left. There are more former AOA programs that are now ACGME than there are actual AOA programs. Peoples chances to match in the ACGME match are higher than matching AOA. I'm not saying not to apply AOA, but to apply only AOA, and not ACGME if you don't match AOA is not a good move.

Reactions: 2 users