[2018-2019] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello I recieved an interview invite for a program last monday and replied immediately. I havent heard back, and sent a follow up email on friday and still havent heard anything back. Should I call the program and ask, or just wait until maybe after acep and hope I get an email.

Thanks. Good luck to everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Applied to 50 programs and received 1 intervew so far. DO with average stats. Should I add more?? Not sure if I should be freaking out

what are the opinions on newer programs (e.g next years class would be 3rd or 4th year), especially if they have students from strong md schools?

Advice from a PD:
- ask about GME experience in leadership (PD, APD, support staff), ideally they would have had several years experience at another program
- for programs 2+ years in: ask about curriculum changes that have happened or will happen as a result of resident feedback
- don't ask, but research other programs at said institution. any record of non-compliance or GME citations?
- ask about program vision and 5-10 years plan: any areas of focus, special tracks and/or fellowships planned

I'm sure other will chime in with valuable suggestions as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all, new here! Quick question: if I'm expecting my second SLOE to be in sometime early next week, do I have to email programs to update them or should assigning the letter be enough of a notification to them? Figured it might be useful for them to see my second SLOE (which I anticipate will be really helpful to my app) before they sent out the wave of invites, if they'd even consider reading something so close to their mass invite dates. Thanks and best of luck to everyone!

I sure would love one of those "floodgate" interviews everyone except for me seems to be getting lol

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone know how probable it is to get off a waitlist for an interview? I just got my first invite but was too slow and got waitlisted (I'm an img so need all the interviews I can get). Just wondering if usually waitlisted applicants are able to secure an interview or if I most likely missed out on that one

So, what's the scoop with personal statements - do they actually get read? Or do programs screen applicants primarily with Step score then move onto SLOE and then call it a day if they don't like what they see by that point?

Hi all, new here! Quick question: if I'm expecting my second SLOE to be in sometime early next week, do I have to email programs to update them or should assigning the letter be enough of a notification to them? Figured it might be useful for them to see my second SLOE (which I anticipate will be really helpful to my app) before they sent out the wave of invites, if they'd even consider reading something so close to their mass invite dates. Thanks and best of luck to everyone!
I'm in the same position, my SLOE got uploaded on 10/02 deciding if I should email every program to update them or not...

So if your SLOE was uploaded yesterday, programs will still notice the letter to read it and review with the application before the big release next week?

I'm in the same position, my SLOE got uploaded on 10/02 deciding if I should email every program to update them or not...
Million dollar question right there...
PDs on the ALIEM podcast said they get an email notification when there's new material but an EM PD told my friend yesterday that they do not get notifications. So who the hell knows. Transparency in this process would make too much sense...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
oops. I did get 2 this week but they were monday and silence since then. Maybe since ACEP is this week?

Seems like a decent amount of programs went out this week, at least according to the 2018-2019 spreadsheet? Many, many programs still have not though. Next week should be crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do the invites seem to be coming in the AM? Got one at 9 AM Monday but was sleeping from overnight, luckily still some spots when I awoke so now i've been getting up at 9 ish and then going back to sleep LOL. On an audition currently and half afraid SLOE will read " constantly checks phone" LOL

still sitting on 3 interviews .... yall killing it compared to me

Do the invites seem to be coming in the AM? Got one at 9 AM Monday but was sleeping from overnight, luckily still some spots when I awoke so now i've been getting up at 9 ish and then going back to sleep LOL. On an audition currently and half afraid SLOE will read " constantly checks phone" LOL

Dude. Find a friend that will check your email and call you when you get invites!! Most of mine have come around lunchtime but it's been as early as 10am as late as 4pm.

Do you have an email account that is just for (or mostly for) ERAS? I've got my phone set so that email is the only one that gives me notifications...I get a few other random emails in that account, but for the most part if my phone buzzes in my pocket, it's coming from the ERAS system, so I'm not checking it all the time.

As far as time, I've gotten some as early as shortly after 9AM Eastern time, and as late as 3PM Eastern time.

Got 3 in the last 3 days. ORMC (NY) yesterday. Albany and Wake Forest today.

Of the 10 I've received so far, most have come through on rounds around 9-12. Luckily my team doesn't seem to notice/care me frantically whipping out my iPad and planner. Maybe 1 or 2 in early afternoon and the latest was one around 4:30 pm.

Anyone know if some programs just send out invites on one day and that's it? That's what I seem to be getting based on last year's interview sheet. Also, would programs have read applications by now? I'm not sure if they have seen my second SLOE from 09/26.

I think it really depends on the program - the spreadsheet is great, but remember its a small subset of applicants, and not everyone reports every interview invite, so it's entirely possible some waves of interview invites aren't reflected on it.

As far as reading applications, I think that again is program dependent - obviously the programs sending invites have reviewed at least some applications already, but I also spoke to some PDs at ACEP who said they hadn't even started reading them yet.

I think it really depends on the program - the spreadsheet is great, but remember its a small subset of applicants, and not everyone reports every interview invite, so it's entirely possible some waves of interview invites aren't reflected on it.

As far as reading applications, I think that again is program dependent - obviously the programs sending invites have reviewed at least some applications already, but I also spoke to some PDs at ACEP who said they hadn't even started reading them yet.

.... not even look at them yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone know if some programs just send out invites on one day and that's it? That's what I seem to be getting based on last year's interview sheet. Also, would programs have read applications by now? I'm not sure if they have seen my second SLOE from 09/26.
I remember Emory seemed to send out all of their invites and rejections on the same day last year. Most other programs continued to send out interviews throughout the fall, though. You gotta remember, tons of people were stalking the spreadsheet last year without contributing, and even those who contributed at first likely got bored and didn't add their later interviews to the list.

We're still early in the process! Chin up!

Got 3 in the last 3 days. ORMC (NY) yesterday. Albany and Wake Forest today.
ORMC is traditionally known as Orlando Regional Medical Center. Although ORMC.org is the website for the hospital you name, you might want to say "Orange" outright. I mean, I'm MD, but I know a lot of DO stuff, and live in NY, and I was not familiar with that program.

Just sayin'.

Still radio silence over here, nothing other than my home program and two aways...

I remember Emory seemed to send out all of their invites and rejections on the same day last year. Most other programs continued to send out interviews throughout the fall, though. You gotta remember, tons of people were stalking the spreadsheet last year without contributing, and even those who contributed at first likely got bored and didn't add their later interviews to the list.

We're still early in the process! Chin up!
Where is this spreadsheet? I found it once on here and have been unsuccessful to find it since then...

Does anyone know how probable it is to get off a waitlist for an interview? I just got my first invite but was too slow and got waitlisted (I'm an img so need all the interviews I can get). Just wondering if usually waitlisted applicants are able to secure an interview or if I most likely missed out on that one

I got off 4 of the 6 waitlists I was put on. The ones where I got an actual invite on interviewbroker and was too slow I got off two out of two times. After about 2 weeks on the waitlist I sent an email expressing specific interest in a program. YMMV. I'm currently a resident at one of my waitlist programs for what its worth!
Good luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Million dollar question right there...
PDs on the ALIEM podcast said they get an email notification when there's new material but an EM PD told my friend yesterday that they do not get notifications. So who the hell knows. Transparency in this process would make too much sense...

They get a notification.

When do you guys think it's ok for me to send follow up emails to the programs I spoke to at ACEP?

When do you guys think it's ok for me to send follow up emails to the programs I spoke to at ACEP?

If you talked to programs and they got your name/email, they will look at the apps of the people they met. I probably wouldn't email them right away. If you don't hear from these programs (or any other programs you were highly interested in) by the first week of November, I think its reasonable to send out an email inquiring about the status of your application.

Do invites go out on weekends?
Not many, but some. Check out last year's spreadsheet, scroll down to the bottom of the IV offers tab where there's a table of # of interviews per day. I think I made the dates gray to show they're weekends, if memory serves.

(If anyone's wondering why I still post here even though I don't do a great job of pushing fixes to the spreadsheet, it's because it's tedious to do so from a cell phone. Next time I have a day off...)

Not many, but some. Check out last year's spreadsheet, scroll down to the bottom of the IV offers tab where there's a table of # of interviews per day. I think I made the dates gray to show they're weekends, if memory serves.

(If anyone's wondering why I still post here even though I don't do a great job of pushing fixes to the spreadsheet, it's because it's tedious to do so from a cell phone. Next time I have a day off...)

If anyone is thinking, “why isn’t this EM intern, who selflessly spends hours upon hours managing a spreadsheet for and offering consistently excellent advice to MS4s and classes to come, fixing my spreadsheet fast enough?” You have a personality disorder.

Thank you for all you do!

Reactions: 14 users
does it look bad if you schedule an interview in January? Eg, let's say it's a region that you're trying to cluster and the best time for it is January? will the program think you're disinterested?

does it look bad if you schedule an interview in January? Eg, let's say it's a region that you're trying to cluster and the best time for it is January? will the program think you're disinterested?

In no way would it look bad... Will it matter one way or the other at all? I don't know but there is an old study that shows interview date has no effect on rank list position.

Anyone else starting to get worried? Sitting on one invite and two away rotation exit interviews.
I'm in the same boat. Equally worried/stressed/anxious. Trying to stay busy and not think about it until Wednesday.

I'm in the same boat. Equally worried/stressed/anxious. Trying to stay busy and not think about it until Wednesday.

Yep same boat. Have 1 interview on AI and my home program invite. I was staying composed but received 2 rejections today so far.

The anxiety is killing me over here. Only have one exit interview on the books, nothing else. :(:(:(:(