[2018-2019] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. Still pretty worried too.
:( How many have you applied too? I sent off 14 and later found out like half of them were already full

Members don't see this ad.

I don't get how so many of these places fill so quickly......I sent a non-VSAS program an email the day they accepted applications, and they were already booked until late Novemeber :(

I've gotten one rejection on VSAS for 3 blocks, and I don't know if sending more applications out now is worth the time/money considering so many programs have already been accepting applications for ~1 month which would make me the bottom of the pile to be considered if I were to apply in the next few days.

Is it worth it to do an away in September (the exact dates are from Aug 27th to Sept 23)?
This would be my second away rotation.
I was really hoping for an Aug spot so I can get my SLOE in time, but is a late SLOE better than a no SLOE?
Thanks!

My impression is that the answer is yes. I think September is one of the most common times for an away rotation as some places don't accept away rotators in the earlier moths. Especially since its a 2nd rotation you should be fine. Many people do them into October.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it worth it to do an away in September (the exact dates are from Aug 27th to Sept 23)?
This would be my second away rotation.
I was really hoping for an Aug spot so I can get my SLOE in time, but is a late SLOE better than a no SLOE?
Thanks!
Agreed with the previous person, I think there's value in doing that Away. While it's true that most interviews go out in mid-Oct and therefore earlier is better, remember that you also want to have the SLOE help you actually MATCH at one of the wonderful places you interview at. Hope that helps!

:( How many have you applied too? I sent off 14 and later found out like half of them were already full

Right now I'm struggling to get an August spot, or maybe I'm being impatient with VSAS programs.

I'm a DO - 11 pending apps for August. I made the mistake of not applying to as many DO friendly places as I should of for that month...

Right now I'm struggling to get an August spot, or maybe I'm being impatient with VSAS programs.

I'm a DO - 11 pending apps for August. I made the mistake of not applying to as many DO friendly places as I should of for that month...
who knows maybe youll get that spot and get a nice sloe but no interview. Just keep hope fam

Anyone heard back from Cinci for an away slot? According to the VSAS website they were supposed to send out information starting on 5/14.

Thanks!

Anybody hear back from Baylor or Cooper for an away rotation? Got an email requesting board scores and CV from Baylor but radio silence since. Thanks!

Anybody hear back from Baylor or Cooper for an away rotation? Got an email requesting board scores and CV from Baylor but radio silence since. Thanks!

I thought Baylor didn't require step scores. It's not listed on VSAS and they didn't ask me for it.

I thought Baylor didn't require step scores. It's not listed on VSAS and they didn't ask me for it.

Yeah, it wasn't on VSAS, but I got an email from the clerkship director requesting them. Maybe they were on the fence about me. Guess my score wasn't high enough. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyone heard back from Cinci for an away slot? According to the VSAS website they were supposed to send out information starting on 5/14.

Thanks!
I did not apply to cinci however I did speak to the PD last week at a convention and she made it sound like the offers have gone out and she is looking to fill in some June spots. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 user
Send in a slew of apps on VSAS about 1 1/2 - 2 months ago... don't e-mail/call because I don't want to seem needy and just trust the system... finally e-mail 2 of them... hear back w/i 24 hours that one was full and one might have just had a slot open and I'm praying I get it. Very useful system. Super glad it exists and almost selected me out of even having a chance to go EM :thinking:.

My n =1 but I emailed a letter of interest to a place I really wanted to go and mysteriously received an offer through VSAS the next day. The offer also came through two months before their VSAS said they start sending decisions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Send in a slew of apps on VSAS about 1 1/2 - 2 months ago... don't e-mail/call because I don't want to seem needy and just trust the system... finally e-mail 2 of them... hear back w/i 24 hours that one was full and one might have just had a slot open and I'm praying I get it. Very useful system. Super glad it exists and almost selected me out of even having a chance to go EM :thinking:.

VSAS has fallen into the same trap ERAS is in. You'd think a standardized system for students to apply for rotation would be great. As opposed to students directly contacting programs. But because its easier, it creates a system where students apply to a ton more programs for rotation than they would have had they had to contact the programs individually. Which means programs get bombarded, and so then some resort to not looking at all the applications (presumably) unless students email them about their interest in the program.

It's all very silly. I much prefer not using VSAS and having the truly interested students just contact us.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone heard from the University of Wisconsin, MCW, or GW yet?? The silence is killing me

I know a classmate that got Cooper, not sure what month though

Has anyone heard from the University of Wisconsin, MCW, or GW yet?? The silence is killing me

I was rejected for the first three months at MCW (said there were no availabilities) but still waiting for the 3 later ones. There have been changes to VSAS for them recently, and if it’s to be believed, they only have the Nov-Dec block left.

I heard from MCW a little over a month ago for a fall spot, but I don't know anything else about it - Sorry I can't help more!

FWIW, I heard back from MCW on 6/2 last year and from UW on 6/13. However, UW I had to apply for a different month. And MCW I rotated during an "unpopular" audition month. It ended up working out though so no complaints there. Good luck with the process (VSAS blows) and feel free to PM me if you have any questions! (Especially about those rotations.)

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone get an email inviting them to complete the SVI yet?

There’s a box in ERAS on the Dashboard page after you log in. It’s all the way at the bottom. Once you click yes, it’s an automatic email.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all, I know that for EM, the SLOE is king, so does that mean we dont need to get letters of recommendation?

Hi all, I know that for EM, the SLOE is king, so does that mean we dont need to get letters of recommendation?
You want a minimum of 3 letters, at least 2 of which should be SLOEs. The other letter, if not a SLOE, ideally would come from an EM doc with whom you worked closely.

SLOE > letter from an EM doc at a residency > letter from an EM doc at a non-residency site > letter from a non-EM doc, is the general preference.

The "1 away vs 2 aways" debate is still contested (with many smart people saying just do 1 away), but I had 3 SLOEs and one letter from an EM doc from my home program with a residency, and I'm happy with how ERAS season and the match turned out.

You want a minimum of 3 letters, at least 2 of which should be SLOEs. The other letter, if not a SLOE, ideally would come from an EM doc with whom you worked closely.

SLOE > letter from an EM doc at a residency > letter from an EM doc at a non-residency site > letter from a non-EM doc, is the general preference.

The "1 away vs 2 aways" debate is still contested (with many smart people saying just do 1 away), but I had 3 SLOEs and one letter from an EM doc from my home program with a residency, and I'm happy with how ERAS season and the match turned out.
So if I have 3 EM rotations scheduled, and will be able to get 3 SLOEs, that's what I should do, and not even worry about getting a regular letter of recommendation?

So if I have 3 EM rotations scheduled, and will be able to get 3 SLOEs, that's what I should do, and not even worry about getting a regular letter of recommendation?
Depends on the timing of when the SLOEs get released. If you do an October rotation with a letter that doesn't come out til November you likely won't get any invites from the places that require 3 letters.

From the advising I've received, doesn't seem like the author of the letter matters in terms of EM vs. non-EM past the 2 SLOEs as long as they know you well. It also doesn't make too much sense to me to get another EM letter after two SLOEs, since that doc's feedback likely went in to one of the SLOEs already. Either way as long as you have SLOEs I wouldn't stress about letters.
I'm just reporting what was emphasized to me by my clerkship directors in medical school, but for what it's worth, CORD's Student Advising Task Force also recommends that the letter come from EM: https://www.cordem.org/globalassets/files/committees/student-advising/2018-satf-faq.docx-1.pdf

Anyone doing 3 aways? I wasn't having much luck with my 2nd one so I reached out to a major wish program out of my area for a November spot and got it. Then ended up getting a Sept/Oct spot at a good well known program in a location where I have family so I can live for free. Not really somewhere I want to go but supposed to be an awesome rotation and have written good letters for people at my school.

Never anything I considered doing and seems like overkill but I figure if I look at doing 2 aways for SLOEs and then the 3rd is just a bonus at somewhere I really want to go (and probably wouldn't have a chance otherwise) it kind of makes sense. Appreciate any advice from anyone.

I think its fine to do more aways, especially if they are later in interview season. You want 2 rotations by October to get 2 SLOEs, but if a dream program lets you rotate in November or December, when its less competitive to get a rotation, I think its a great idea, because it will likely get you an interview there, and possibly could be a foot in the door to a place you wouldn't have had a chance at otherwise. Should everyone do this many? No, its not mandatory. But if there is a place you really want to go for residency and you can't get a rotation in "SLOE season", I think the November-January rotation timeframe is a perfectly ok timeframe to try and get your foot in the door.

I've searched through the forum and couldn't find an answer to my questions, but I apologize if this is redundant.
Our SVI is due by July 15th, but my first EM rotation starts July 30th.
There is an option to request an extension for your SVI. Would this be recommended for students in my position who have not had significant EM experience? I'm guessing a number of the questions will ask "describe a time.....", so is it better to use an example from the ED? Would I be penalized for primarily using examples from other rotations?
Additionally, if you request an extension for the SVI, does this reflect poorly in anyway for applications?
Thank you!

I've searched through the forum and couldn't find an answer to my questions, but I apologize if this is redundant.
There is an option to request an extension for your SVI. Would this be recommended for students in my position who have not had significant EM experience? I'm guessing a number of the questions will ask "describe a time.....", so is it better to use an example from the ED? Would I be penalized for primarily using examples from other rotations?
Additionally, if you request an extension for the SVI, does this reflect poorly in anyway for applications?
Thank you!
There is now a lot of published data that shows that the SVI just doesn't really matter.

I know it doesn't answer your question but if you just have to do it just know it's not a big deal.

Thank you!
It's completely fine to have non-EM based anecdotes. I wouldn't request an extension for this reason at all, don't worry.

Hoping for some advice on non-SLOE letters; I've spent a ridiculous amount of time nights and weekends in my non-residency trauma II ER and am hoping to get something on ERAS to show for it. I have a LOR from the EM doc I've spent the most time with but ...should I also bother the director of the ER for a non-faculty SLOE or a composite LOR? Or just ride with the other LOR from the doc I'm closer with?

Side note; I do understand that actual SLOEs>>>>>LIFE lol, I do have auditions before Oct 1st set up so these letters are in addition to 2 SLOEs

Thanks for any advice!

Hoping for some advice on non-SLOE letters; I've spent a ridiculous amount of time nights and weekends in my non-residency trauma II ER and am hoping to get something on ERAS to show for it. I have a LOR from the EM doc I've spent the most time with but ...should I also bother the director of the ER for a non-faculty SLOE or a composite LOR? Or just ride with the other LOR from the doc I'm closer with?

Side note; I do understand that actual SLOEs>>>>>LIFE lol, I do have auditions before Oct 1st set up so these letters are in addition to 2 SLOEs

Thanks for any advice!
Hmmm, I think either way is fine! I don't think it'll make or break your application. It sounds like you have an extensive longitudinal presence there... Were you working/volunteering or was this just a clinical experience through school? If it's the former, definitely list it as an extracurricular in the work/volunteer section of ERAS.

Hmmm, I think either way is fine! I don't think it'll make or break your application. It sounds like you have an extensive longitudinal presence there... Were you working/volunteering or was this just a clinical experience through school? If it's the former, definitely list it as an extracurricular in the work/volunteer section of ERAS.

Good point about eras extracurricular- technically I just showed up and med-student “moonlighted” most days after I was done with regularly scheduled core rotations, about 10 months. Not quite volunteering as I did procedures and saw patients, but also not a block period I could call a rotation- it was not set up by the school. Would that still count as extracurricular? How could I title that experience?

Thank you so much for the advice!!

Thanks for any advice!

While they won't carry the same weight as your two SLOEs, having a non-residency faculty write you a LOR is perfectly ok for one of your other two letters you submit to programs (you can submit up to four total letters). I'd go with the letter from the doc you were closest and worked the most time with, its more likely to be an accurate and good portrayal of you than the chairman, who if they haven't worked much with you, is more likely to give you a generic templated LOR.

Good point about eras extracurricular- technically I just showed up and med-student “moonlighted” most days after I was done with regularly scheduled core rotations, about 10 months. Not quite volunteering as I did procedures and saw patients, but also not a block period I could call a rotation- it was not set up by the school. Would that still count as extracurricular? How could I title that experience?

Thank you so much for the advice!!
I really want there to be a good way to massage that into an ERAS listing, but the only thing that comes to mind is calling it shadowing and writing a blurb about how you spent X hours a week of your free time seeing patients and getting procedural exposure. Shows commitment. You could dress it up fancy and call it Clinical Skills Volunteering or something, maybe... It's tough. I don't think this is a common thing, and I'm hesitant about it, but then I remember that lots of people list volunteering at free clinics... Not all that different from what you describe, right? Except that you're likely slowing down the residents/faculty. (I say this as a brand new intern who is similarly useful apart from now being able to write billable notes.)

I really want there to be a good way to massage that into an ERAS listing, but the only thing that comes to mind is calling it shadowing and writing a blurb about how you spent X hours a week of your free time seeing patients and getting procedural exposure. Shows commitment. You could dress it up fancy and call it Clinical Skills Volunteering or something, maybe... It's tough. I don't think this is a common thing, and I'm hesitant about it, but then I remember that lots of people list volunteering at free clinics... Not all that different from what you describe, right? Except that you're likely slowing down the residents/faculty. (I say this as a brand new intern who is similarly useful apart from now being able to write billable notes.)

Many candidates do this and put it into their volunteer/work experience. Others sometimes mention it in their personal statement. In both cases, the intent I'm assuming is to show their dedication to the field that they are working shifts they don't have to in order to get better.

Reactions: 2 users
I have a VSAS question and am hoping someone can help. I am ACLS certified, but my BLS certification expired. Before I submit my app, does anyone know if I need to recertify, because ERAS asks for BLS certification and date of expiration?

I have a VSAS question and am hoping someone can help. I am ACLS certified, but my BLS certification expired. Before I submit my app, does anyone know if I need to recertify, because ERAS asks for BLS certification and date of expiration?
I don't know specifically but I believe you would need to recertify just to be working with patients at a lot of hospitals, no?

While they won't carry the same weight as your two SLOEs, having a non-residency faculty write you a LOR is perfectly ok for one of your other two letters you submit to programs (you can submit up to four total letters). I'd go with the letter from the doc you were closest and worked the most time with, its more likely to be an accurate and good portrayal of you than the chairman, who if they haven't worked much with you, is more likely to give you a generic templated LOR.

SLOE’s unfortunately are the be all end all. Your two sloe’s will carry way more weight than the personal letter. If your sloe’s stink, the other letter won’t matter. If your SLOE’s are great or even average, the personal letter won’t matter. Your SLOE’s will determine whether or not you get an interview. I would just use one from the person you are closest with. But it unfortunately won’t carry much weight.

Does EM really not care about step scores/grades?...

For those of us joining EM late, anyone have any advice on how in the world to get rotations in a reasonable time frame for a SLOE? I have one set up pre-ERAS but getting a second is near impossible prior to January. At this point I am going to have to apply with one SLOE but I am starting to get concerned about even getting a second during the year. VSAS is either straight rejection or radio silence, emails to individual programs are either ignored or all rotations are full. Not sure how PD's are expecting every applicant to apply for away rotations mid 3rd year if we are on the fence.

For those of us joining EM late, anyone have any advice on how in the world to get rotations in a reasonable time frame for a SLOE? I have one set up pre-ERAS but getting a second is near impossible prior to January. At this point I am going to have to apply with one SLOE but I am starting to get concerned about even getting a second during the year. VSAS is either straight rejection or radio silence, emails to individual programs are either ignored or all rotations are full. Not sure how PD's are expecting every applicant to apply for away rotations mid 3rd year if we are on the fence.

I'd talk to the PD at your home program. They have a pretty good network and he/she should be able to find you a place to go.

Step scores, yes. Grades? Not as much. SLOE’s trump all.
But surely its a plus. I imagine bc most people dont have perfect grades and most have prob an average of HP in EM then its not considered an important factor bc you cant use it to differentiate most applicants. But if you had a straight honors student apply EM youre telling me it wouldnt impress people?

Besides SLOES, do we need a letter from another writer (like an IM letter from an attending or such)? I didn't have direct exposure with any of the attendings during my IM rotation so don't think that'll be possible anymore, will this put me at a disadvantage in any way? My first EM rotation won't be until August :/

But surely its a plus. I imagine bc most people dont have perfect grades and most have prob an average of HP in EM then its not considered an important factor bc you cant use it to differentiate most applicants. But if you had a straight honors student apply EM youre telling me it wouldnt impress people?

I’m not saying straight honors is worthless, but if you have straight honors and average or bad SLOE’s and someone else is in the 50th percentile of their class with glowing SLOE’s, the SLOE’s win 10/10 times. That’s just the way things are now. Step scores get you to the door, the SLOE’s get you through it, and everything else is kind of water under the bridge. Just the way it is. Not saying it’s right.