*** 2018-2019 MD/PhD cycle - Questions, Comments, and other things ***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got an email from the UMiami MSTP, whose secondary I never submitted, saying that they’re “very interested in reviewing my application” and encouraging me to submit the secondary. Is this just a generic email? They didn’t offer to waive the fee.

Members don't see this ad.

Just got an email from the UMiami MSTP, whose secondary I never submitted, saying that they’re “very interested in reviewing my application” and encouraging me to submit the secondary. Is this just a generic email? They didn’t offer to waive the fee.

I might be a bit jaded, but I received a similar email from washu and was rejected in less than a week post-secondary. However, maybe UMiami might be different.

Reactions: 1 user
outing myself a bit here, but if you attended the WashU MSTP interview where they said they would get back to us Nov 6 or 7, have you heard anything? I haven't and I remember them saying they would tell us R, WL or A on those dates.

PM me if you have any info, thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
outing myself a bit here, but if you attended the WashU MSTP interview where they said they would get back to us Nov 6 or 7, have you heard anything? I haven't and I remember them saying they would tell us R, WL or A on those dates.

PM me if you have any info, thanks!
It was supposed to be Nov 9 for the first interview group and no one heard back so dont worry yet :)

From what I've seen on other forums, it looks like some of the MD-only applicants were notified, but none of the other people I know who interviewed MSTP have heard yet (I haven't heard either). I assume we'll hear sometime this week.

If I want to withdraw from a school (not invited to interview yet), should I email the admissions director? I don't see a withdraw application button on the portals of the schools that I want to withdraw from. TIA!

I think in the beginning of the cycle I psyched myself out due to a lower GPA (3.5/517) and applied to a lot of MD schools thinking I would get filtered out from MD/PhD programs based on that alone. However I've had 4 MD/PhD interview invites and havent heard a word from MD programs so far. From talking with the schools I interviewed with it seems that my research experience and LORs are carrying me.

My dream is to go MD/PhD, however I was thinking that my route might have to be applying as an internal applicant due to my fear about GPA, with that in mind I applied to maybe 8-9 MD/PhD programs and 15 MD just to try and get in somewhere.

My question is if it's too late to apply to more MD/PhD programs. Not T20 schools or anything, just smaller state schools that I might be more competitive for. Any thoughts on this? Would it be a waste of money? Anyone know schools that don't interview until later in the cycle? Or any that arent worth considering this late at all?

Thanks for any thoughts

I am in quite a similar situation to you. I applied to about 13 MSTPs and 12 MD programs. While I have 5 MSTP IIs, I have only 1 MD II and several rejections. I've considered applying to more schools as well - it seems the more I browse SDN the more worried I get and the more willing I am to pull the trigger on additional applications.

When I take a step back I notice that my MD/PhD IIs have been from well-respected programs and several I haven't heard back from are of similar caliber and have later interview dates. I am personally not planning on applying to more programs on this basis.

Those are my thoughts. I would defer to the expertise of the more knowledgeable people on this forum (Fencer et al..). Who knows, I might even be convinced to send a few more apps out :laugh:

In general, at this point, it is truly too late to add additional schools or programs. Think about it... although you are verified, it takes 24-48 hrs for your application to show up into the school's system. The school's software synchronize overnight or might take a couple of days (very few directors utilize the raw AMCAS tool). Most programs have a secondary application ... (by now one week). The application is picked and sent to the Admissions Committee for review (2-4 weeks, maybe just another week, perhaps after Thanksgivings celebration). We are now in December, and you are fighting for those interview slots in late January. I know several applicants with January interview dates already scheduled. You might be placed in the waitlist for interview cancellations. The time to re-assess your application success is between October 15 - 30 for submission no later than Nov. 1.

@Tothepub congrats on your interviews! Relax, you should have at least 2 or 3 choices (hopefully, among MSTPs). It might be until the end of the cycle, but you are likely to be in that situation. Although I only extend acceptances to about 1/3 interviewees, my last accepted applicant is ranked at the middle of the list of interviewees (i.e.: 50%) while several applicants ranked higher withdraw prior to receiving an acceptance. This is a very common occurrence among many programs. The domino effect begins in March, once all programs send at least as many acceptances as slots they plan to enroll. It then intensifies in early to mid April, but it continues until the first or second week of May.

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone else from WashU (10/11,10/5) interview date hear back yet? It seems only two people got accepted (idk what interview date that was), but it was mentioned we would hear about R/W/A status by now. Would it be worth calling or just holding tight for that potential rejection...?

Brief update as of admission actions by 11/15/18 for the 2019 AMCAS MD/PhD cycle

Total MD/PhD Applicants ----------- 1764
Withdrawn BEFORE AC --------------------- 43
Rejected ----------------------------------- 626
At least 1 MD/PhD AC ---------------- 116
Withdrawn AFTER AC ------------------------ 2
Currently MD/PhD Accepted -------------- 114
Still looking for a MD/PhD position - 979

Reactions: 3 users
Brief update as of admission actions by 11/15/18 for the 2019 AMCAS MD/PhD cycle

So 626 applicants have already been rejected from every MD-PhD program they applied to? that seems like a lot.

Thanks for the update.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is correct... It doesn't mean that they have been informed by programs. This is what the system indicates. At this point in the cycle, if you have no interviews, have completed secondaries/CASPer, and have not been rejected, consider sending an update/email of interest to the PD. If your benchmarks are marginal (MCAT <502, cGPA <3.00), you are likely part of the Rejected group.

That is correct... It doesn't mean that they have been informed by programs. This is what the system indicates. At this point in the cycle, if you have no interviews, have completed secondaries/CASPer, and have not been rejected, consider sending an update/email of interest to the PD. If your benchmarks are marginal (MCAT <502, cGPA <3.00), you are likely part of the Rejected group.

what is the impetus behind programs being so opaque? Isn't everyone better off if applicants are made aware of their status? While applicants are most obviously going to benefit from knowing their own status, institutions would benefit from not getting updates or pestered by applicants who are no longer under consideration. It is funny that although schools will wait months to tell applicants about their status and that schools are upset that students hang on to their acceptances until the last possible second.

Reactions: 2 users
what is the impetus behind programs being so opaque? Isn't everyone better off if applicants are made aware of their status? While applicants are most obviously going to benefit from knowing their own status, institutions would benefit from not getting updates or pestered by applicants who are no longer under consideration. It is funny that although schools will wait months to tell applicants about their status and that schools are upset that students hang on to their acceptances until the last possible second.
I am in complete agreement. Also, why do programs interview people who they have no interest in accepting. I assume applicants are ranked by their stats and I cannot imagine how a 30 minute interview can change anything. In my experience everyone at the interview is incredibly kind and almost give the impression that you have a chance. I just wish the entire process was more transparent, such that schools don't send out secondaries to every applicant, and do not interview applicants who will not be considered for acceptance.

I am in complete agreement. Also, why do programs interview people who they have no interest in accepting. I assume applicants are ranked by their stats and I cannot imagine how a 30 minute interview can change anything. In my experience everyone at the interview is incredibly kind and almost give the impression that you have a chance. I just wish the entire process was more transparent, such that schools don't send out secondaries to every applicant, and do not interview applicants who will not be considered for acceptance.

I don't think schools are doing this. I think every program is interviewing someone they would be glad to have at their school, and I think that the interview plays a big role in that process. I am speaking from very limited experience but I haven't heard of any school wasting money and the important time of interviewers to meet with applicants they don't think are qualified.

I don't think schools are doing this. I think every program is interviewing someone they would be glad to have at their school, and I think that the interview plays a big role in that process. I am speaking from very limited experience but I haven't heard of any school wasting money and the important time of interviewers to meet with applicants they don't think are qualified.
Sure, but schools have only a few spots and I would assume even though they do not explicitly say they rank the applicants, they have an idea of how the applicants stack up to each other. I would dare to say that there is no way that a 30min to hour long conversation can change that by much. Furthermore, I would wonder, if the school had to pay for the cost of our travel and lodging, how many applicants would they offer to interview. I could just be salty about the contradictory feedback I have been getting. At the interviews program directors tell us your stats are good enough, don't worry about it since we've offered you an opportunity to interview, only to later inform you that your stats are the reason why you have been rejected. I'm just wondering why interview so many applicants?

Reactions: 1 users
Fencer, do you have an estimate of how many total MD/PhD spots are available for this cycle? I know that number is very dependent on funding, but I'm just asking for a ballpark estimate. Thank you for your help during this process!

At the end of the cycle, the NATIONAL MD/PhD class consists of 650-675 students. As previously posted, in prior cycles, we have had about 750-791 acceptances - see *** 2018-2019 MD/PhD cycle - Questions, Comments, and other things ***.

There are occasional discrepancies... A few years ago, Ohio State matriculated 10 first-year students, but the AAMC table B-8 indicated 0. This was a mistake of improperly coding in the AAMC Student Record by a new Registrar. While corrected later in the process for those students, the tables were not corrected.

Anyone else from WashU (10/11,10/5) interview date hear back yet? It seems only two people got accepted (idk what interview date that was), but it was mentioned we would hear about R/W/A status by now. Would it be worth calling or just holding tight for that potential rejection...?

I'm in the same boat! I'm also confused as to whether to contact the admissions office or not. From what they told us during the interview session, it seemed like everyone would be notified of their status (Reject, waitlist, or acceptance) in November. I'm wondering if I should just take the silence as a rejection/waitlist, or keep waiting to hear good news.

I’ve withdrawn from about half of my schools after my acceptance. Best of luck to those waiting to hear back!
Really appreciate you acting fast on that and opening spots for others!

Reactions: 9 users
I’ve withdrawn from about half of my schools after my acceptance. Best of luck to those waiting to hear back!

Same. Got an acceptance a little earlier than a school’s announcement date for reasons I specified in an LOI, so I haven’t posted yet. But I withdrew from I think 6 programs after!

Reactions: 4 users
I'm in the same boat! I'm also confused as to whether to contact the admissions office or not. From what they told us during the interview session, it seemed like everyone would be notified of their status (Reject, waitlist, or acceptance) in November. I'm wondering if I should just take the silence as a rejection/waitlist, or keep waiting to hear good news.

Same. I emailed Brian but got radio silence. Sucks because I know at least 2 people from my interview date who I know got accepted...

They did say that it was kinda up to what order they went through interviewees during the actual meeting. If your name was towards the end, they might not’ve discussed us at all yet. Or we’re ****ed!

Just wanted to stop by and say hi :) I love all of the support in this thread and I can't wait to see where you all end up. I'm rooting for you all (in my Tyra Banks voice)!

Reactions: 5 users
So last week I got rejected by UCLA from MD/PhD, and today they sent me an email saying they didn't mean to. Did this happen to anyone else?
Of course I feel grateful to not have been rejected (yet lol), but the problem is that in their initial email they told me to switch my AMCAS setting to MD only so the MD committee could review my application. Now they asked me to change it back to MD/PhD but now I can't change it on the AMCAS site. I sent AMCAS an email and plan on calling them tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on this? They said I have to change it back on AMCAS by Dec. 1st, but I'm traveling starting tomorrow until Dec 4th for my last two interviews so I'm not sure how much time I will have to talk to AMCAS since they're only open during business hours...

So last week I got rejected by UCLA from MD/PhD, and today they sent me an email saying they didn't mean to. Did this happen to anyone else?
Of course I feel grateful to not have been rejected (yet lol), but the problem is that in their initial email they told me to switch my AMCAS setting to MD only so the MD committee could review my application. Now they asked me to change it back to MD/PhD but now I can't change it on the AMCAS site. I sent AMCAS an email and plan on calling them tomorrow but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on this? They said I have to change it back on AMCAS by Dec. 1st, but I'm traveling starting tomorrow until Dec 4th for my last two interviews so I'm not sure how much time I will have to talk to AMCAS since they're only open during business hours...
No advice but wow that’s kind of a mess to deal with. Sorry you have to scramble to figure this out.

No advice but wow that’s kind of a mess to deal with. Sorry you have to scramble to figure this out.
Watch them not even offer me an interview after making me jump through all these hoops lol

Out of Curiosity, can MD/PhD programs see where else you've interviewed? and thanks for all the help, you definitely have helped us clarify so much about this process!

Not in AMCAS... TMDSAS asks you where are you are applying, but you do not update that.

MD/PhD programs do not see where you are interviewing or whether you have received acceptances. After Feb. 19, programs will see if you have other acceptances after they extend you one, but not where or even what (MD or MD/PhD).

Watch them not even offer me an interview after making me jump through all these hoops lol

I would email or call them and ask them flat out if they plan to offer you an interview invite once you change your status. Maybe I am a bit bolder than most though. With 8 interview invites already, I don't see what you have to lose. Why jump through hoops when you have so much else to worry about?

Same. I emailed Brian but got radio silence. Sucks because I know at least 2 people from my interview date who I know got accepted...

They did say that it was kinda up to what order they went through interviewees during the actual meeting. If your name was towards the end, they might not’ve discussed us at all yet. Or we’re ****ed!

@psyduck1720 , @Shmoopdippydoop --

You guys still in the dark for WashU? :(

Yeah I am still in the dark. What I don't get is why they can't tell us whether or not we got rejected from the MSTP. According to what they said in the interview, that was decided the week after the interview, and I feel like it's inconsiderate for them to not tell us if we got rejected or not from the MSTP. Since I haven't heard I've basically counted myself out, which is fine in my mind; there are other fantastic schools that I have been at that I think I have a good shot at getting into (it also helps to have an acceptance at this point, I won't deny that).

Yeah I am still in the dark. What I don't get is why they can't tell us whether or not we got rejected from the MSTP. According to what they said in the interview, that was decided the week after the interview, and I feel like it's inconsiderate for them to not tell us if we got rejected or not from the MSTP. Since I haven't heard I've basically counted myself out, which is fine in my mind; there are other fantastic schools that I have been at that I think I have a good shot at getting into (it also helps to have an acceptance at this point, I won't deny that).

I got feedback during my exit interview about where I stood with the MSTP adcom. And they have most/all of the weight in the process. I heard some WashU lore at one of the dinners that one time the med school passed on an applicant who the MSTP liked, so the MSTP arranged to fly them out for another interview with the med school.

Brief update as of admission actions by 11/30/18 for the 2019 AMCAS MD/PhD cycle (Changes since 11/15)

Total MD/PhD Applicants ----------- 1766 (+2)
Withdrawn BEFORE AC --------------------- 69 (+26)
Rejected ----------------------------------- 803 (+177)
At least 1 MD/PhD AC ---------------- 186 (+70)
Withdrawn AFTER AC ------------------------ 2 (0)
Currently MD/PhD Accepted -------------- 184 (+70)
Still looking for a MD/PhD position - 708 (-271)

I got feedback during my exit interview about where I stood with the MSTP adcom. And they have most/all of the weight in the process. I heard some WashU lore at one of the dinners that one time the med school passed on an applicant who the MSTP liked, so the MSTP arranged to fly them out for another interview with the med school.
Ah I see. I think part of my issue was that I have no idea based on the exit interview, because my interview wasn't with someone who was on the panel, it was with a former member of the panel (so they had no idea on how my panel interview went). I don't feel confident about the panel interview though, but hopefully we'll find out soon. Either some holiday presents or coal ahead.

Ah I see. I think part of my issue was that I have no idea based on the exit interview, because my interview wasn't with someone who was on the panel, it was with a former member of the panel (so they had no idea on how my panel interview went). I don't feel confident about the panel interview though, but hopefully we'll find out soon. Either some holiday presents or coal ahead.

I envision no dark clouds in your future. I'm sure you will get an acceptance from them soon.

btw, that was supposed to be a coal joke. I realize now that was kind of a reach:writer:

Brief update as of admission actions by 11/30/18 for the 2019 AMCAS MD/PhD cycle (Changes since 11/15)

Total MD/PhD Applicants ----------- 1766 (+2)
Withdrawn BEFORE AC --------------------- 69 (+26)
Rejected ----------------------------------- 803 (+177)
At least 1 MD/PhD AC ---------------- 186 (+70)
Withdrawn AFTER AC ------------------------ 2 (0)
Currently MD/PhD Accepted -------------- 184 (+70)
Still looking for a MD/PhD position - 708 (-271)

Hello Fencer,
Does the "Rejected" category include people whom a program has rejected but who have yet to be notified of said rejection? Also, does that group include people with at least one rejection but also at least one acceptance (i.e., are the categories "Rejected" and "Accepted" mutually exclusive)? Thanks as always for keeping us in the loop!

The software places you with your best category, that is, if you had a single acceptance, that is the bin where you are allocated. In general, MA>AC>IN>RS>RJ
MA=matriculated, AC=accepted, IN=interview, RS=Request Secondary, RJ= Rejected. There are other potential final choices such as WA=Withdrew After AC, or WB=Withdrew Before AC, and I am lumping PR (Preliminary Rejection) with RJ because it makes no significant difference. There are other temporary choices that some schools utilize such as Hold (HO) and Alternate (AL). Later in the cycle, I will be talking about those who are in the AL category. Those will be in the National waitlist. Almost at the very end, every year, some schools will take an applicant who was interviewed and allocated to PR/RJ, and give them an AC.

The entire process is nerve-wracking for applicants, but also for Program Directors. We are trying to fit a relatively small class. We don't know if we are overshooting or undershooting in our projections. I try to be realistic and provide feedback in my own Exit interviews, and while I am told some times that I am too harsh/brutal in my assessments, some of those applicants use the feedback constructively to get into outstanding programs.

Those of you with interviews at this point must feel reasonably optimistic that one of these MD/PhD programs will take you. You are not competing against 1765 other applicants but truly against 891 other applicants and by the end of the cycle, around 770-790 will receive at least one MD/PhD acceptance. That is pretty good odds...

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Long time, first time.

Was recently introduced to the concept of 'letters of intent.' How binding are these, and does sending one to your top choice really move the needle after an interview? If it does, will it move the needle any more than telling them they're your top choice in the interview?

Thanks!

Helpful.... not binding. Extra brownie point, but a paper or a more thoughtful email suggesting a particular lab with an outstanding track record... those things do move the needle. Do not send those emails indiscriminately, be deliberate on your top choices (not more than 2 or 3).

Hey Fencer, I was wondering what is the tactful way to ask to reschedule an interview. I applied pretty late this cycle, (October-quite a mistake), and so most of my interviews are coming in for the last days offered by schools. For example, I received an interview invitation from School A a month ago for Day X and booked the flight. Now, School B invited me to interview on Day X, and it is the last day they interview. Is it reasonable to ask School A if I can reschedule despite already sending them an itinerary and confirming the day for over a month? I know School A has later dates, but I don't want to seem disrespectful.

Hey Fencer, I was wondering what is the tactful way to ask to reschedule an interview. I applied pretty late this cycle, (October-quite a mistake), and so most of my interviews are coming in for the last days offered by schools. For example, I received an interview invitation from School A a month ago for Day X and booked the flight. Now, School B invited me to interview on Day X, and it is the last day they interview. Is it reasonable to ask School A if I can reschedule despite already sending them an itinerary and confirming the day for over a month? I know School A has later dates, but I don't want to seem disrespectful.
The response will vary from program to program. I must admit I get a tiny bit annoyed when someone asks to reschedule, but we will do it if it is possible. We realize you do not have much control over the dates you are offered, and the annoyance is really directed towards our MD-PhD colleagues who couldn't get their s*** together to invite you sooner. (Honestly though, they probably had an opening because someone else canceled an interview, and they went to their wait list to fill it.) The worst thing is when someone calls a day or two before the interview and says that they've decided to withdraw.

The software places you with your best category, that is, if you had a single acceptance, that is the bin where you are allocated. In general, MA>AC>IN>RS>RJ
MA=matriculated, AC=accepted, IN=interview, RS=Request Secondary, RJ= Rejected. There are other potential final choices such as WA=Withdrew After AC, or WB=Withdrew Before AC, and I am lumping PR (Preliminary Rejection) with RJ because it makes no significant difference. There are other temporary choices that some schools utilize such as Hold (HO) and Alternate (AL). Later in the cycle, I will be talking about those who are in the AL category. Those will be in the National waitlist. Almost at the very end, every year, some schools will take an applicant who was interviewed and allocated to PR/RJ, and give them an AC.

The entire process is nerve-wracking for applicants, but also for Program Directors. We are trying to fit a relatively small class. We don't know if we are overshooting or undershooting in our projections. I try to be realistic and provide feedback in my own Exit interviews, and while I am told some times that I am too harsh/brutal in my assessments, some of those applicants use the feedback constructively to get into outstanding programs.

Those of you with interviews at this point must feel reasonably optimistic that one of these MD/PhD programs will take you. You are not competing against 1765 other applicants but truly against 891 other applicants and by the end of the cycle, around 770-790 will receive at least one MD/PhD acceptance. That is pretty good odds...

Thanks so much for explaining, Fencer. Also, those are good odds :thumbup:

The response will vary from program to program. I must admit I get a tiny bit annoyed when someone asks to reschedule, but we will do it if it is possible. We realize you do not have much control over the dates you are offered, and the annoyance is really directed towards our MD-PhD colleagues who couldn't get their s*** together to invite you sooner. (Honestly though, they probably had an opening because someone else canceled an interview, and they went to their wait list to fill it.) The worst thing is when someone calls a day or two before the interview and says that they've decided to withdraw.

Thanks for the advice! Do you have any advice in how to make a solid impression during the interview? At the moment, it seems as though I am having good conversations with faculty mentors; however, I’m not sure if that is really enough to help me stand out from the crowd. My assumption is everyone at the interview is qualified, so is the interview where I need to differentiate myself somehow or just going with the flow will be good enough.

I was in the same boat recently. Instead of rescheduling with School A, I asked School B for an alternative due to scheduling conflicts. It was a long shot but, to my surprise, School B came back with a "non-traditional" date that was not listed on their website. It was a ballsy move but paid off big time - didn't have to change my travel plans to School A (and potentially risk annoying them with last minute changes) and found time to visit School B. The lesson here is that these rules may not be set in stone and it may benefit you just to ask.

Reactions: 3 users