2018-2019 Postdoc Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Orlando VA
PTSD Track
2/1 Mass email
Invite
In person on 2/16 or phone/Skype interview

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Vanderbilt University Counseling Center
Invite
Notified 1/29 by email
Multiple interview dates via skype

Eastern Michigan University Counseling and Psychological Services
Invite
Notified 1/30 by email
Multiple interview dates via skype

Just FYI, I contacted some of the sites I have not heard back from yet and most of them said that they attempted to send a message though the APPA CAS system, which I never received.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just FYI, I contacted some of the sites I have not heard back from yet and most of them said that they attempted to send a message though the APPA CAS system, which I never received.

WHAT?!?!?

May I ask what sites?

Has anyone heard from NYU Child Study Center? Or know someone who has?

that's so crazy!!!

I agree that you'll want to think about this carefully before doing it, but it ended up working for me... I weighed the pros and cons for a long time and then ultimately decided to reach out. I had submitted my application 6 weeks earlier and waited until Friday at 4:45PM before emailing. I had already received an invite from program A at a particular site but not from program B at the same hospital. My program A interview was scheduled for one week from the day I emailed inquiring about program B and the travel involves a cross country (LA-Boston) flight and taking several days off of work. I was very worried about coming across as presumptuous but then again felt like if they decide not to interview me because of this email, well then I was ok with not being considered for that program (also realizing I applied to way too many sites, haha). I got an email back a few hours later indicating that it would be "ideal" if I could come interview with program B on the same day that I was already scheduled to come for program A.
This was great to read! I am in the same position so this was helpful to read.

Would you mind sharing what exactly you said in your email? I am on the fence about what to say, how much information to share, and how to ask if I am still under consideration and not sound callous lol.

I welcome suggestions from other members as well on how I can tactfully email the TD about this.

Last edited:
Several forensic sites I'm interested in state that they "will accept applications until the position is filled," but state in their brochure that they're conducting interviews this week...should I still apply? Or do you think it would be a waste of time at this point? I only have one interview and I'm freaking out I'm not going to match to a forensic site, as I highly doubt any forensic positions will be left after UND. HALP please

Several forensic sites I'm interested in state that they "will accept applications until the position is filled," but state in their brochure that they're conducting interviews this week...should I still apply? Or do you think it would be a waste of time at this point? I only have one interview and I'm freaking out I'm not going to match to a forensic site, as I highly doubt any forensic positions will be left after UND. HALP please

Email them to ask if they are still willing to accept applications and, in the mean time while you're awaiting their response, prepare your application materials. Worst they can say is "no."

Members don't see this ad :)
Sonoma State CAPS
2/5
Phone Call
Invitation
Multiple days in person and Zoom

Question for y’all. A site agreed to be flexible and interview me early while I’m in the state so I don’t have to fly back. We agreed to a morning interview that will be shortened so I can catch a flight out. After rescheduling my original flight home I told them via email where I will fly out from and at what time. They email me today with an itinerary that is only cut short by 10 min and will definitely cause me to miss my flight. I already emailed them about this and I’m hoping we can work something out. Any suggestions on how to approach this? I hope this doesn’t negatively affect how I’m viewed. I’m very excited about this site and don’t want to come across as disinterested or demanding.

Question for y’all. A site agreed to be flexible and interview me early while I’m in the state so I don’t have to fly back. We agreed to a morning interview that will be shortened so I can catch a flight out. After rescheduling my original flight home I told them via email where I will fly out from and at what time. They email me today with an itinerary that is only cut short by 10 min and will definitely cause me to miss my flight. I already emailed them about this and I’m hoping we can work something out. Any suggestions on how to approach this? I hope this doesn’t negatively affect how I’m viewed. I’m very excited about this site and don’t want to come across as disinterested or demanding.

That's tough. If I were very excited about the site and they have already accommodated me, I would try to change my flight. Just my opinion though. I see you said you already emailed them about it though...are you planning on emailing again?

If it's a site you really want, I would honestly just change my flight and make their new interview time work for you. And don't at all tell them that you had to change your flight again because of that new time. They change it anymore, and you will go from a candidate who they are willing to make a new time for, to a potential nuisance. Just say thank you again for accommodating you, and have a great interview.

Reactions: 1 users

If you can afford it, reschedule the flight again. Of course the hope is that they will be understanding and I'm sure that they will be, but what you're doing is asking them to accommodate you for a second time. All other things equal, you're at a disadvantage because of that. If you're really serious about the site then do whatever you can to not have to ask them to accommodate you again.

Has anyone heard from Kaiser Oakland - Child? I haven't heard a peep!

Has anyone heard from St. Louis VA Neuro? With INS next week, kind of thought I would have heard something this week... They sent an e-mail awhile back stating my application was under review and I would hear something in 7 - 10 business days. I believe it is now past that time frame. Worth checking in with them?

Anyone have any thoughts about how to "rank?" One interview left and I'm really not sure. Had an interview at extremely well respected program (in an extremely expensive area) but it may not be my favorite training program... Does it seem absurd to turn it down (if given the chance)? Any thoughts about how much prestige really matters?

Anyone have any thoughts about how to "rank?" One interview left and I'm really not sure. Had an interview at extremely well respected program (in an extremely expensive area) but it may not be my favorite training program... Does it seem absurd to turn it down (if given the chance)? Any thoughts about how much prestige really matters?

A timely question for sure. I'd love to hear people's thoughts. For the internship process, I tried to consider what was the most important to me (training and supervision) and then ranked from there. I am not sure how to move forward this time around, as I see possibilities and very different paths (on different coasts).

updated.

Sorry for the long gap... the last two weeks have been intense. But I have a postdoc! yessssssss. Good luck to everyone!!

Reactions: 9 users
I’m sure everyone is wrapping up interviews, kicking ass and taking names, but did anyone apply to/hear from Philly VA health track? I think it was a late addition because stuff was due 1/26 and they only wanted a cover letter and CV. As of yesterday I heard nothing and UND is sneaking up on us...!

I’m sure everyone is wrapping up interviews, kicking ass and taking names, but did anyone apply to/hear from Philly VA health track? I think it was a late addition because stuff was due 1/26 and they only wanted a cover letter and CV. As of yesterday I heard nothing and UND is sneaking up on us...!

I know someone who interviewed there for the health track, so it seems like they have notified folks they are interviewing. Sorry about that and good luck with other sites!

I know someone who interviewed there for the health track, so it seems like they have notified folks they are interviewing. Sorry about that and good luck with other sites!

Ah ok thanks! Looks like I’m done with interviews then!

folks are getting offers... this is getting so real. All my sites are saying they're using the notification date...

folks are getting offers... this is getting so real. All my sites are saying they're using the notification date...
I know right?! I know several folks who have already accepted offers. My interviews are done (which is sooOoOOoo nice!). I *think* I have a solid ranking in my mind (and let's be real, on my spreadsheet). **** is getting real.

I know right?! I know several folks who have already accepted offers. My interviews are done (which is sooOoOOoo nice!). I *think* I have a solid ranking in my mind (and let's be real, on my spreadsheet). **** is getting real.

Same! Lots of friends already have accepted initial or reciprocal offers. I have a last interview Monday, but my list is getting close to finalized.

Can anyone believe that we have just a few days to go?! How is everyone doing with ranking?

I'm feeling pretty confident about my first and last choice sites at the moment, but less sure about all the ones in the middle.

Interestingly, this experience has pushed me to choose a specialty and where I landed is not what I expected.

Can anyone believe that we have just a few days to go?! How is everyone doing with ranking?

I'm feeling pretty confident about my first and last choice sites at the moment, but less sure about all the ones in the middle.

Interestingly, this experience has pushed me to choose a specialty and where I landed is not what I expected.

It's so hard. I came down with a cold, which I am sure has *nothing* to do with post doc related stress. Wishing you and everyone the best!

Has anyone come up with a really good way to state they'd like to place an offer on hold to ask for a reciprocal offer? I love all of my choices and my rankings are so close (like #1, #1.5, #2):). I don't want to disrespect anyone. This process is emotionally draining.

Has anyone come up with a really good way to state they'd like to place an offer on hold to ask for a reciprocal offer? I love all of my choices and my rankings are so close (like #1, #1.5, #2):). I don't want to disrespect anyone. This process is emotionally draining.

I think I’ll probably just thank them (profusely!) for the offer, say i’d Like to hold it for now to check on another program (they know how this works, we can’t hide the fact that we are checking with another site) and say I will get back to them as soon as possible.

I have a cold, too... and need to finish my list. My cold has taken me away from solidifying it. My supervisor from psych asst position last year texted me earlier to say some folks contacted him today to follow up and I wanted to take a nap... sure not at all connected.

Have folks called or emailed TD's re: their place on their ranking without an offer? The waiting game is so difficult.
Also, do sites typically let you know ahead of time that you are not under consideration? I had one let me know earlier so I'm assuming I'm still under consideration for the other sites. Thanks!

I haven’t contacted any TD’s about where I rank. I don’t think we’re allowed to until Monday. That makes me wonder:
Can we ask where we rank, even if we don’t have an offer? Or do you need an offer first?

Also, for rankings, I’m struggling with selecting a site that has a better local reputation for its clinical training vs a site that has greater national recognition. I’ll most likely stay in the area but is it better to select the site that is more well-known outside of a particular city?

Congrats to all those with offers and best wishes to those waiting for Monday! Question to those with offers: have you received your training agreements yet (that you’ve signed and sent back- sort of like for internship)? I haven’t received mine yet and was wondering if it’s typical to get it along with the offer, which in my case, my offer was emailed to me. Thanks in advance!

Also, do sites typically let you know ahead of time that you are not under consideration? I had one let me know earlier so I'm assuming I'm still under consideration for the other sites. Thanks!

In my case, no. I got some calls on the UND that were rejections (that's particularly disheartening because I got excited when I saw the calls coming in--they should just email you rejections). One site didn't notify me that day even though they said they participated in the UND; they later emailed me a rejection four or five days after the UND. Really depends on the site.

I haven’t contacted any TD’s about where I rank. I don’t think we’re allowed to until Monday. That makes me wonder:
Can we ask where we rank, even if we don’t have an offer? Or do you need an offer first?

I would discourage contacting them unless you have an offer in hand and plan to try to negotiate into your top choices.

Have folks called or emailed TD's re: their place on their ranking without an offer? The waiting game is so difficult.
All of my sites have emailed me to let me know that I'm still under consideration, remind me of UND guidelines, and to verify my phone number. Only one site let me know where-ish I stand in rankings... not sure if that's allowed?

Congrats to all those with offers and best wishes to those waiting for Monday! Question to those with offers: have you received your training agreements yet (that you’ve signed and sent back- sort of like for internship)? I haven’t received mine yet and was wondering if it’s typical to get it along with the offer, which in my case, my offer was emailed to me. Thanks in advance!

I don't think my friends who've gotten offers have received a training agreement yet but they did ask for something in writing to feel a bit more confident about withdrawing apps from other sites.

All of my sites have emailed me to let me know that I'm still under consideration, remind me of UND guidelines, and to verify my phone number. Only one site let me know where-ish I stand in rankings... not sure if that's allowed?

I had the same experience. I've received 1 email telling me I'm not a ranked candidate for UND and will not receive an offer, rest have told me I am and may receive an offer. One was pretty clear that I'm a top choice. All where I'm still being considered offered work and personal contact info for UND and verified my contact info.

I don't think my friends who've gotten offers have received a training agreement yet but they did ask for something in writing to feel a bit more confident about withdrawing apps from other sites.
I accepted an offer and have not received a training agreement yet and I am not concerned. I am sure they will get it to me at some point in the next few weeks.

I had the same experience. I've received 1 email telling me I'm not a ranked candidate for UND and will not receive an offer, rest have told me I am and may receive an offer. One was pretty clear that I'm a top choice. All where I'm still being considered offered work and personal contact info for UND and verified my contact info.

Hm, is this something to be concerned aboutre: APPA CAS sites? Since the interviews, the only contact I’ve had were responses to thank you emails!

sidered
Hm, is this something to be concerned aboutre: APPA CAS sites? Since the interviews, the only contact I’ve had were responses to thank you emails!

I wouldn't worry... I think it varies site by site.

What ended up happening!?

I accepted an offer and have not received a training agreement yet and I am not concerned. I am sure they will get it to me at some point in the next few weeks.
Thanks to all for replying! I’ve become so used to a chronic level of anxiety throughout this whole application process, that it somehow still hasn’t left yet even though I accepted an offer already! Looks like I’ll have to re-learn how to breathe again!