2018 AMPLE Part 1 thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sweatshirt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hop on in everyone... in 1 week exactly I'll be sitting on my porch with a beer in hand, and this test will be behind me. I cannot wait

I feel good about most subjects, been scoring slightly above our class averages on practice tests. I just hope I don't get screwed and get an exam heavy in tough topics like neuro

Who's ready, how ya feeling, come vent to me, etc. We should post our thoughts of the test when it's over too... keep grinding!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I feel good about everything except pharm and micro. Although I've done well on most of the pharm and micro questions on boardvitals and the APMLE/NBPME practice exams I feel like most of those questions are suspiciously straight forward—though I have heard that non-lower extremity subjects on this exam are relatively straight forward.

Also it seems like every time I look over lower extremity anatomy material I find another discrepancy in how its taught at different schools or from different sources, which is kind of annoying.

But if the pharm and micro on the actual test are relatively straight forward and there aren't too many contentious anatomy questions, then we gucci.

Reactions: 2 users
I feel good on everything, but I also feel pretty bad about everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel good about everything except pharm and micro. Although I've done well on most of the pharm and micro questions on boardvitals and the APMLE/NBPME practice exams I feel like most of those questions are suspiciously straight forward—though I have heard that non-lower extremity subjects on this exam are relatively straight forward.

Also it seems like every time I look over lower extremity anatomy material I find another discrepancy in how its taught at different schools or from different sources, which is kind of annoying.

But if the pharm and micro on the actual test are relatively straight forward and there aren't too many contentious anatomy questions, then we gucci.
straight forward questions? seems too good to be true

Reactions: 1 user
I feel numb at this point. I've been scoring at or above average on practice exams, but I still feel anxious as all hell. I guess all I can do is try my best and accept whatever happens.

Have you guys done practice exams on APMLE? Anyone know how representative those are to the real thing?

Have you guys done practice exams on APMLE? Anyone know how representative those are to the real thing?
You mean the 2 free ones? I did one of them, I'm planning on doing the other on tomorrow. They aren't full exams, just 60 questions. I thought they were pretty good. Some of the physio seemed a little odd on the one I took but overall it felt representative

Did y'all do the old ones too, the 2005 and 2008 practice exams? There's like 180 questions on each one.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

The questions on the current one, hosted by Prometric, were chosen because they correlated well with those who passed/failed. So supposedly if you do well on those you should pass the actual exam. The older practice exams (2005, 2008) were just random questions, but still useful just to see that many actual APMLE questions.

The questions on the current one, hosted by Prometric, were chosen because they correlated well with those who passed/failed. So supposedly if you do well on those you should pass the actual exam. The older practice exams (2005, 2008) were just random questions, but still useful just to see that many actual APMLE questions.

Ya that makes sense, around what score is well do you happen to know?

Ya that makes sense, around what score is well do you happen to know?
Not sure, just that people who performed better on those Q's performed better on their exams overall (since those are actual old exam Q's).

So I assume if you get the majority correct you're probably in pretty good shape.

Just my .02. I didn't do all that great on the Prometric tests last year. I averaged a 70% on them. Passed the test on my first try. Unfortunately, every test is different so the percentage needed to pass each exam varies from person to person. So, for those of you who are scoring higher than I did, I would say you are in pretty good shape. Keep studying hard, stay positive, and relax once the test is over!

I just took the 1st of the APMLE practice exams. Questions seemed overall straight forward with a few tricky ones thrown in there. If they supposedly correlate with the real thing, then that's promising.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck tomorrow!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats for being done with Part 1 :clap:

Please post your thoughts about the exam, prep, and anything else you can think of that might help us future takers...of course after taking a much deserving break. Much appreciated!!

Ligaments. Know. Them. All.

I'll chime in a bit more later on when I'm done resting a bit. I can finally watch the World Cup games like they're meant to be watched! Congrats to my fellow c/o 2020! Rest up!

Congrats for being done with Part 1 :clap:

Please post your thoughts about the exam, prep, and anything else you can think of that might help us future takers...of course after taking a much deserving break. Much appreciated!!

Reactions: 7 users
I found the exam easy. I'll give a detailed report in the coming weeks of how I prepared. Spoiler alert though, basically didn't use First Aid at all and I'm glad I didn't.

Reactions: 6 users
I didn't find the exam all that easy. Some questions were, but I also had some where I had never seen the material before in my life. Overall, I don't think I did horribly but for such a high stakes exam I can't help but have some anxiety. It's going to be a long 6 weeks.

As for general advice, First Aid was good for Micro, Path and decent for Pharm. I felt like it wasn't detailed enough for Physio, Gross or Neuro.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'll throw out a word of caution. Watch how much specific information you share as it relates to APMLE. You signed an agreement when you took the test not to disclose information, and there are instances of testing companies strictly enforcing those agreements. It's happened more in the MD/DO side of things, but it's possible to get yourself into hot water by divulging too much specific information. Just a friendly heads-up and reminder :)

Finally can sit down and post some thoughts. Overall I think it went pretty well. I walked out feeling above average. My exam felt like it followed the subject breakdown very well. There was a good mixture between easy, medium, and hard questions. I did educational guesses on quite a handful but there was maybe only less than 5 that I had no clue wtf they were talking about. I won't post specifics about questions but like I said before I think mine followed the AMPLE subject breakdown pretty well. It's so hard to tell with this exam because not all the questions are graded, so stuff I knew I got right may not even count

I used class notes for lower- A
Sketchy Pharm and Micro- A++ (if I pass its prob because of them)
I used First Aid for everything else- B-
Board Vitals TQs that Kent provides- B+
AMPLE free Exams- B+

First aid is good for high yield biochem and gross anatomy, but it doesn't have everything you need. There's also sooooooo much path in there and path alone isn't super heavy, it's usually incorporated into other subjects. I liked Board Vitals a lot because I got to test my knowledge and learned a lot of stuff in the process. If there's one thing to take away from this is that practice tests and questions help a lot so use as much as you can!

Going to be a long 6 weeks, hopping for the best

Yeah that was uh, well, yeah. I wouldn't go so far as to say the exam was unfair- all topics , spare 2 questions, were fair game topic wise. I'm *pretty* sure I passed, as many questions I was 50/50 on in my answer choice turned out to be correct when I frantically looked them up after the exam.

Overall, I just feel the exam was not an appropriate metric for assessing whether the student meets 'minimum competency' standards.
If it was a percentile ranked exam than these levels of difficulty would be necessary to differentiate the good from the great, but if the goal is to make sure a student is above an established minimum threshold- I feel there will be several students who do not pass that are certainly minimally competent, but weren't able to show it due to the nature of the exam.

On another note, on questions I absolutely knew the correct answer, there were several cases where multiple answer choices would have sufficed, and it was about choosing the 'best' option. Again, this is the type of question that doesn't lend itself to weeding out the incompetents, and a few that a student could have a legitimate beef over. Subject specific comments:

Micro- I did all of sketchy micro and it definitely helped, but it seemed a lot of question stems were really lacking for indicators- so much so I felt the proper answer was often 'not enough evidence to make an informed clinical decision', but that was never an option. There was often one very minor detail that would indicate the correct answer, but frankly I felt it was overkill in terms of level of difficulty.

LEA- Ligaments and bones. Inside and out.

Gross- another head scratcher. Very few gimmes.

Physio- hit and miss. lots of easy ones, lots of WTF.

Pharm- I thought this was the hardest. Seemed like every question was secondary or tertiary. Often you had to recognize what drug class was appropriate for patient profile, and then answer in a second layer of knowledge, like mechanism of action or contraindication. Also felt they avoided many of the well known agents.

Histo/Neuro- hardly any. Barely studied for these, and glad I didn't.

Biochem- hardly any 'rate limiting enzyme' questions. Lots of intermediary substrates/products.

Path- know your cancer causing cells and where they are found.

TL;DR- probably in the clear, but don't feel that exam is the best representation of minimum competency due to level of difficulty.

It will be posted on Prometric. Otherwise, your school can give you your result when they get them.

Schools should have them. KSUCPM has them available now.

I ended up passing.

Last edited:
Kent has a 92% pass rate. I've heard national average was at 88 or 89% I haven't confirmed that yet though

Supposedly 2-3 at Temple failed, depending on which professor you believe.

Can anyone be so kind as to explain how to look up your results on Prometric?
Just login to your Prometric account using the same username and password you used to sign up for the test. Once you login click on test history and it should say pass/fail