2018 applicant...really holistic? & Out of State concerns

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothdecay3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
First of all, good luck to my fellow 2018 applicants! I am currently in the home stretch of studying for my DAT and preparing for my applications. Finalizing a list of schools to apply to is proving difficult, since there are so many questions and unknowns. I am very interested in attending UCLA or UF, but I am worried about their preference to in-state applicants, considering I am out of state for both of those schools. Another concern, with schools such as UCLA, is the DAT averages of accepted students in the past. Since they are on the higher end, are these schools putting more weight on the DAT scores of their applicants, in comparison to other aspects of the application? I have a current total GPA of 3.97, with a slightly higher science GPA. However, as I am studying for my DAT on June 13, I am consistently scoring in the 20-21 AA range on my practice tests. I am confident in my GPA, extracurricular activities, and clinical hours, but I am worried that being out of state, and scoring in this range on the real DAT will really hurt my chances of even receiving an interview at schools such as these. Any real advice or opinions on this discussion? I am open to any related discussions as well!

Members don't see this ad.

I cannot speak for UF but although UCLA is indeed competitive, you will not be rejected from there solely because of your stats. UCLA's average DAT is around 23, but even if you get a 21 AA, that's not a reason for them to reject you. REALLY make your PS stand out and show interest in specializing when you get their secondary because 80-90% of the students there do specialize and get into the residency of their choice. If anything, it's a low GPA that will kill your chances.

I have several friends that got into UCLA school of dentistry and one thing they have in common is 3.75+ GPA and a DAT that starts with a 2.

Okay, thanks so much!