2018 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@ChopinLiszt - when do you start hearing from your schools? What a nerve-wracking time!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
@ChopinLiszt - when do you start hearing from your schools? What a nerve-wracking time!

I've been fairly chill until this week, but I am officially freaking out. I don't have any acceptances to fall back on, and all the schools I'm waiting to hear from are pretty low yield (post-interview rates). Should hear from Mayo either next week or the week after, so at least I'll know that piece of the puzzle! :wideyed::nailbiting::nailbiting:

I've been fairly chill until this week, but I am officially freaking out. I don't have any acceptances to fall back on, and all the schools I'm waiting to hear from are pretty low yield (post-interview rates). Should hear from Mayo either next week or the week after, so at least I'll know that piece of the puzzle! :wideyed::nailbiting::nailbiting:

Yep, SKMC is Jeff.

Honestly, I was freaking out this entire month because I had no idea if I was going to have to reapply in the future and plan out what to do the next few years. Remember, you only need 1! And congrats on getting an interview at Mayo. I would've loved to have gone there since it was a perfect match for my background, but apparently that was a very one-sided belief lol

Members don't see this ad :)

Crossing my fingers for you! I can't imagine having to wait this long into the cycle to hear a decision.

Fun interview day story to pass the time: During the orientation meeting at the beginning of interview day at Mayo, we had to go around the table and share something that inspired us recently. One girl at the table said, "I'm a TA for organic chemistry, and there is a student in the class who is THIRTY, and I was just so inspired that someone at THAT AGE would still take a class so late in life!" Like she just emphasized that it completely blew her mind that someone so OLD would/could be a student. It was sweet because she it really seemed like she was inspired by it, but.. the irony was so funny. And I had talked with the admissions staff leading the discussion, so she knew I was sitting there at 36.. it was just funny.

Reactions: 12 users
Fun interview day story to pass the time: During the orientation meeting at the beginning of interview day at Mayo, we had to go around the table and share something that inspired us recently. One girl at the table said, "I'm a TA for organic chemistry, and there is a student in the class who is THIRTY, and I was just so inspired that someone at THAT AGE would still take a class so late in life!" Like she just emphasized that it completely blew her mind that someone so OLD would/could be a student. It was sweet because she it really seemed like she was inspired by it, but.. the irony was so funny. And I had talked with the admissions staff leading the discussion, so she knew I was sitting there at 36.. it was just funny.
I can't tell you how many people, especially women closer to my "ultra" age, claim to be really inspired at the idea of going back for a second career. I hate bursting their bubble by sharing that it doesn't look like I'll actually get in!

I love the idea that 30 is late in life. That is adorable. I remember turning 30... Someone I volunteered with gave me three roses - one for each decade. Heheheh. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I can't tell you how many people, especially women closer to my "ultra" age, claim to be really inspired at the idea of going back for a second career. I hate bursting their bubble by sharing that it doesn't look like I'll actually get in!

I love the idea that 30 is late in life. That is adorable. I remember turning 30... Sometime I volunteered with gave me three roses - one for each decade. Heheheh. ;)

Seriously you're one of the people on this forum I'm crossing my fingers hardest for. I really want you to get in!

I'm turning 30 in about 18 months. Really not looking forward to it lol

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you thank you! Currently in at Michigan and UNC, waitlist at Berkeley/UCSF and Brown, and waiting to hear back from Mayo AZ, which, as you know, should be next week or the week after.

I still have about ten schools pre interview left, but at this point, with maaaybe the exception of UCLA (cuz they’re really behind this year), I think it’s safe to assume the rest are silently rejecting me at this point.

Good luck to everyone! I love this thread.

Congrats man! I remember you from your interview day - I was the non-trad AF MS1 who hung out with ya'll that day. Thank you for taking the time to fly across the country and visit us. If you have any questions about Chapel Hill or UNC, please don't hesitate to ask. -Froggy

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats man! I remember you from your interview day - I was the non-trad AF MS1 who hung out with ya'll that day. Thank you for taking the time to fly across the country and visit us. If you have any questions about Chapel Hill or UNC, please don't hesitate to ask. -Froggy
The one with the bbq smoker in your garage?!

Seriously you're one of the people on this forum I'm crossing my fingers hardest for. I really want you to get in!

I'm turning 30 in about 18 months. Really not looking forward to it lol
Wow, thank you so much! I want me to get in too! lol
I've found that the "decade" birthdays aren't as tricky as the +1s. The 0s are really just the last year of the previous ten. :)
I'm honestly so grateful for what I have - great friends, health, relative financial stability, and lots of options. My early 30s were awesome and carefree. You're going to have a blast.

Its awesome to see so much success in this thread! I really didn't think I had much of a chance this year, but several of my mentors talked me into going for it, even if it meant applying late. Its been a whirlwind since. My mind still can't process that I have been accepted to more than one medical school. So, anyone who's feeling the doubt...you can do this too. Congrats to all those who have been accepted, and good luck to everyone waiting to hear.

Thank you so much for sharing--made my day:D. I remember being 21 and thinking 30 was ancient. (Never dreamed 57 would feel so young until I got here lol :cool:.)

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, just for fun: what movies have y'all seen lately? I can recommend:
Lady Bird
I, Tonya
The Post
Shape of Water
Winchester - saw it this afternoon in the theater across the street from the real Winchester Mystery House! EDIT: I see it gets a whopping 8% on Rotten Tomatoes... I guess it's just a local thing but I thought it was a hoot. :)

I was at an interview recently, and I asked the financial aid presenter if people over 30 still had to provide parental income. During lunch three other interviewees cornered me and asked, "OMG are you 30?!"

Reactions: 6 users

At a recent interview, i saw 4-5 other candidates waiting in the lobby as I walked in. I strode toward them and several started to stand up. I asked if they were all there for the interview, and they nodded and nervously said yes. As I sat down in the next available seat and took off my coat, some of them looked at me confused. I realized that even though we were all wearing dark suits, they probably thought I was coming to interview them instead of waiting to be interviewed.

@willow84 Just to clarify, what did the financial aid folks say about providing parental income?

At a recent interview, i saw 4-5 other candidates waiting in the lobby as I walked in. I strode toward them and several started to stand up. I asked if they were all there for the interview, and they nodded and nervously said yes. As I sat down in the next available seat and took off my coat, some of them looked at me confused. I realized that even though we were all wearing dark suits, they probably thought I was coming to interview them instead of waiting to be interviewed.

@willow84 Just to clarify, what did the financial aid folks say about providing parental income?
I have found it depends by school. Michigan needs me to prove I haven’t been claimed as a dependent by parent’s taxes for ten years. It’s been 9!

Reactions: 1 users

Hahahaha you could have had some serious fun with that! :laugh:

I was at an interview recently, and I asked the financial aid presenter if people over 30 still had to provide parental income. During lunch three other interviewees cornered me and asked, "OMG are you 30?!"

I didn't even know people could BE that old!! Hahaha
I guess they'll have to get used to the idea when we're all in the same class, huh? Look at us nontrads - broadening horizons all over the place!

Last edited:
I didn't even know people could BE that old!! Hahaha
I guess they'll have to get used to the idea when we're all in the same class, huh? Look at us nontrads - broadening horizons all over the place!

This is why we add so much to the diversity

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@Laterthansooner I have two schools that still want my parent's info... even though I've been financially independent for 15 years.

Same. And I'm so old my parents are retired - do they want their social security checks or what? :confused:
Yeah my mom makes pennies and my dad is retired. They reported $12k in income last year. Maybe it'll help that they're retired?

Parts of our medical education system are so stupid, and this is one of them. Also, FAP requiring parental income. So dumb.

FASFA doesn't require parental income under a variety of circumstances. Are you saying that there are schools that don't use the FASFA as the standard for determining financial independence? Seems kinda weird to me.

FWIW, I wouldn't attend a school that requires >30 students to provide parental income - that would be a clear indicator that I don't belong there. My parents depend on me, not the other way around lol.

FASFA doesn't require parental income under a variety of circumstances. Are you saying that there are schools that don't use the FASFA as the standard for determining financial independence? Seems kinda weird to me.

FWIW, I wouldn't attend a school that requires >30 students to provide parental income - that would be a clear indicator that I don't belong there. My parents depend on me, not the other way around lol.

I’m referring to AMCAS FAP requiring parental income regardless of age if your parents are alive. I haven’t dealt with FAFSA in a decade, so I have no idea what they require. And given the post I quoted, I’m guessing there is at least one school that requires parental income regardless of age (since that’s exactly what she said).

I suspect there are few enough 30+ age applicants that no one is creating special rules for us...

I suspect there are few enough 30+ age applicants that no one is creating special rules for us...

FASFA does. I just re-looked at my 2018-2019 FASFA, and it does indicate that some schools may require parental financial information regardless of dependency status. My school follows FASFA guidelines, and I simply figured other schools would too; guess I was wrong.

FASFA does. I just re-looked at my 2018-2019 FASFA, and it does indicate that some schools may require parental financial information regardless of dependency status. My school follows FASFA guidelines, and I simply figured other schools would too; guess I was wrong.

So glad I don’t have to deal with that crap.

Wake Forest insists on both Parental income and spouse income. I’ve been independent of my parents for 15 years and married for over 10. I feel like they should choose one or the other - either you can count my parents or my husband’s income, but not both...

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Wake Forest insists on both Parental income and spouse income. I’ve been independent of my parents for 15 years and married for over 10. I feel like they should choose one or the other - either you can count my parents or my husband’s income, but not both...
I guess to play devil's advocate, if the point is to limit aid to truly needy applicants, then it makes sense to look at both parents and spouse, since an applicant could be getting support from either. That said, I stopped paying attention to any of this once I realized they considered it fair game to ask me to sell my primary residence.

I guess to play devil's advocate, if the point is to limit aid to truly needy applicants, then it makes sense to look at both parents and spouse, since an applicant could be getting support from either. That said, I stopped paying attention to any of this once I realized they considered it fair game to ask me to sell my primary residence.

Right, but that’s why they need to look at one or the other (ie, independence). Up until a couple years ago when they retired, my parents made very good money but were completely unable to help me with my education (which is part of the reason I joined the military). And yet I would have to list their income despite their actual contribution being nothing. I’m sure I’m not the only one in that situation.

Right, but that’s why they need to look at one or the other (ie, independence). Up until a couple years ago when they retired, my parents made very good money but were completely unable to help me with my education (which is part of the reason I joined the military). And yet I would have to list their income despite their actual contribution being nothing. I’m sure I’m not the only one in that situation.
The thing is, they have to have some kind of income/asset-based standard; they're not going to go investigating the intricate details of everyone's financial situation and family history. Given that, how would anyone be able to prove that their high-income parents (or spouse) really didn't or aren't going to contribute? I would also respectfully submit that *in general* an applicant with financially stable parents or spouse is in a better situation even if those people did not ever contribute dollars: connections, lifestyle growing up, indirect support during school (e.g., providing housing), etc. A system dealing with tens of thousands of applicants a year has to deal in generalities... There are people who truly have no safety net, and that's who the aid system has to be designed around, imho.

The thing is, they have to have some kind of income/asset-based standard; they're not going to go investigating the intricate details of everyone's financial situation and family history. Given that, how would anyone be able to prove that their high-income parents (or spouse) really didn't or aren't going to contribute? I would also respectfully submit that *in general* an applicant with financially stable parents or spouse is in a better situation even if those people did not ever contribute dollars: connections, lifestyle growing up, indirect support during school (e.g., providing housing), etc. A system dealing with tens of thousands of applicants a year has to deal in generalities... There are people who truly have no safety net, and that's who the aid system has to be designed around, imho.

Right. Except for a large number of middle class people who don’t have any connections, but their parents make just enough to disqualify them from aid despite not being able to support them financially.

If you have been financially independent for years, you parents income should be irrelevant. I agree that some people will get a lot of help from parents. But many do not, and screwing them so that the richer kids don’t get any unneeded aid doesn’t seem right to me.

My stepdad was absolutely livid when I told him that I needed his tax returns from 2016. I think he ranted something about never having claimed me as a dependent (because my dad always did...) so why should his finances be relevant. Sigh. I've encountered two schools that do not care that I'm over 30 and have been financially independent for a very long time. It's certainly frustrating.

Last edited:
I'm still waiting to hear back from one of my schools, but I was placed on the waitlist at NYU just over a week ago. They rejected so many candidates that this is actual footage of me upon hearing I made it to the waitlist:

350.png

I'm very happy with my current acceptances, but would probably jump at the opportunity to go to NYU, so this is going to be a LONG spring and summer...

Reactions: 10 users
OMG I just got accepted to my top choice. UCSF / Berkeley Joint Medical Program. I am speechless, humbled, honored, thrilled.

Reactions: 16 users
OMG I just got accepted to my top choice. UCSF / Berkeley Joint Medical Program. I am speechless, humbled, honored, thrilled.
AMAZING. Congratulations, what an accomplishment! Talk about patience having the ultimate reward!

Oh my goodness!!! I am so happy for you!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That is AMAZING! Congrats!! Hope you celebrated last night.

That is AMAZING! Congrats!! Hope you celebrated last night.
Thank you!
Got an amazing fancy meal with my boyfriend, and our other friends. One is four years younger than me and a resident at UCSF. Nontrad life! Ha <3

Thank you!
Got an amazing fancy meal with my boyfriend, and our other friends. One is four years younger than me and a resident at UCSF. Nontrad life! Ha <3

Several of my close friends are attendings at the school I am most likely going to attend. Nontrad life for sure!

I wish we all lived in the same city so that we could meet up and talk through some of these things in person. It would be so nice to sit in someone’s living room and discuss everything from loans/finances to how to spend the remaining months gearing up for the life changer ahead and feeling lame duck in the interim.

Reactions: 7 users
I wish we all lived in the same city so that we could meet up and talk through some of these things in person. It would be so nice to sit in someone’s living room and discuss everything from loans/finances to how to spend the remaining months gearing up for the life changer ahead and feeling lame duck in the interim.

That would be fantastic. Young/trad undergrads have built-in premed friends who get it. I have mostly soccer mom friends who think I'm nuts (maybe for more reasons than my premed habits, though? haha) and it's one of those things you can't really understand unless you go through it. There used to be an oldpremeds.org that would have a meet up or conference in a major city - it would be nice to do that but maybe difficult to pull off. I know we're spread all over the country.. I'd be up for an east coast meet up, though! My living room is always open! (unless my kids are crowded around the wii - then you really don't want to be there) :laugh:

Reactions: 6 users
I vote east coast meet up too (selfishly, haha).

That would be fantastic. Young/trad undergrads have built-in premed friends who get it. I have mostly soccer mom friends who think I'm nuts (maybe for more reasons than my premed habits, though? haha) and it's one of those things you can't really understand unless you go through it.

I completely agree. My friends are supportive but I spend a lot of time explaining. And as supportive as they are, I still feel isolated and alone at times while going through the process.

There used to be an oldpremeds.org that would have a meet up or conference in a major city - it would be nice to do that but maybe difficult to pull off.

I actually went to one of the oldpremeds conferences. It was helpful and I met one of the lovely people on this forum. But it was early in the process for me and I didn’t know enough to ask the right questions. There is really a different dynamic once you are in the window and med school seems like it it might really happen. I also think it will be beneficial to stay in touch as we go through school, esp in the early days so we can share what’s working for us and how we’re coping.

I know we're spread all over the country.. I'd be up for an east coast meet up, though! My living room is always open! (unless my kids are crowded around the wii - then you really don't want to be there) :laugh:

I’m on the east coast too. Let’s do it! I vote for the warmest location we can agree on. I’m tired of the cold and gray.