2018 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe the convoluted process at elite schools is to protect themselves from post-cycle criticism/accusations/lawsuits? If you're picking from all top stat/great EC students, you have to pick somehow and it could seem too subjective (which of course it is).. I just wish they'd be more open about it on their websites. They all say they do a "holistic" review, but it would be more accurate to say something like, "we evaluate your application holistically.. as long as you're also a 4.0 robot whose professor put your name on their Nature paper." I do think high admission standards are a good thing in a field where people have more power over life/death situations, but a little transparency from schools would really go a long way! It would even help premeds be better prepared, I think.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
In other news - anyone else getting increasingly stressed as we edge closer to 10/16? :hungover:

Reactions: 1 users
In other news - anyone else getting increasingly stressed as we edge closer to 10/16? :hungover:

I haven't decided yet if this is worse than waiting for the MCAT score, haha. I'm thinking yes because the schools don't have to tell you their decision on 10/16.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This reminds me of that feeling when you are dating someone and you aren’t sure where you stand, so you are waiting for some indication. Even a breakup can be a relief - at some point you just want to know.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone,

So I have been reading everyone's post and I got to say, you are all inspiration to us. Your spirit of never giving up and keep fighting is what make this thread amazing. So those who is in the long haul, I was wondering if you can answer this question.

If I took 90 quarter units with all A's, but only risen to 2.6 cGPA, should I continue to take more classes until it's a 3.0 GPA? By my calculation, it would take additional 280 semester unit to reach that goals and took about 5 years to do it full time. Should I continue to try or go for apply SMP despite not meeting the minimum requirement?

If I took 90 quarter units with all A's, but only risen to 2.6 cGPA, should I continue to take more classes until it's a 3.0 GPA? By my calculation, it would take additional 280 semester unit to reach that goals and took about 5 years to do it full time. Should I continue to try or go for apply SMP despite not meeting the minimum requirement?

From my understanding you want to have a 3.0 sGPA minimum while applying to avoid getting screened out. The fastest route for you would probably be to raise that gpa to a 3.0 by taking postbacc courses and then do an SMP and shoot for a 3.7+ while also getting a strong mcat score. That being said I just got rejected from my SMP med school after doing very well in their program so I have no idea what those programs are looking for tbh :rolleyes:. You will probably get a better answer in the WAMC forum.

I haven't decided yet if this is worse than waiting for the MCAT score, haha. I'm thinking yes because the schools don't have to tell you their decision on 10/16.

I experienced the worst adrenaline rush/mini heart attack when I was opening my score report once I got mine back, hopefully I don't have to go through the same next week :confused:.

Yes.
At least w the MCAT, you knew you're going to find out where you stand.
With this date, you have no idea if you're even going to hear anything at all, you are going to be reading other people on the threads cheering with glee who get in. It could be really happy or it might be excruciatingly painful.
Hoping for the former for all those of us waiting on a decision that day!

Admitting I’m a neophyte in this process - what is the significance of 10/16?

Admitting I’m a neophyte in this process - what is the significance of 10/16?

10/15 is the first date any MD school can admit a student (with exception of ED applicants). So many of us with IIs will begin hearing from schools we interviewed at starting from this date! Although 10/15 is a sunday so the unofficial date is actually 10/16 :p

At least one school where I interviewed explicitly stated that everyone who interviewed on that day or earlier would definitely get a response on 10/17 - accept, reject, or hold. They have an interview day on 10/16, so no e-mails from the admissions office on 10/16. I almost wish they wouldn't, since I've still got at least two interviews after that date. I feel like if it's an acceptance, it might make me too cocky at my remaining interviews, but if it's a rejection or a hold, it'll get in my head and make me bomb my last two interviews!

I experienced the worst adrenaline rush/mini heart attack when I was opening my score report once I got mine back, hopefully I don't have to go through the same next week :confused:.

No joke. That mini heart attack was too real. It took me probably around an hour to get my heart rate back to normal.

Honestly, when is August 2018 going to be here? Why do I have a feeling I will be waiting that long for it to come around??

At least one school where I interviewed explicitly stated that everyone who interviewed on that day or earlier would definitely get a response on 10/17 - accept, reject, or hold. They have an interview day on 10/16, so no e-mails from the admissions office on 10/16. I almost wish they wouldn't, since I've still got at least two interviews after that date. I feel like if it's an acceptance, it might make me too cocky at my remaining interviews, but if it's a rejection or a hold, it'll get in my head and make me bomb my last two interviews!

I was told the same for one of my schools. My other interview will tell me on the 16th.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
caveman doctor school.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
IMG_2902.JPG

Lil late, but my meme monday contribution,
(And no, no II from my biggest crush, umich, today.)

One II today but my in state crush is still silent

One II today but my in state crush is still silent

As a fellow Floridian - is it UF? I swear everyone from our state is absolutely obsessed with it! Personally, I have a hard time seeing myself living in a bubble city like Gainesville

As a fellow Floridian - is it UF? I swear everyone from our state is absolutely obsessed with it! Personally, I have a hard time seeing myself living in a bubble city like Gainesville

yep - I want to go to UF! I'm sick of traffic where I am. I'm totally looking forward to a bubble!:hilarious:

I think they can smell a gator hater a mile away, though. I've never been a fan of the gators, but I definitely won't let that keep me from attending if I ever get an acceptance (I'm not holding out hope - I think I have a better chance at Harvard than UF...)

I didn’t think I wanted to live in gainesville, and then I interviewed at uf. It just felt right!

So I interviewed at my in state school yesterday and I feel like I nailed it. Both my interviewers stopped me in the middle of my interview to tell me they "LOVED" me. I literally got so excited on my drive home. I could not have asked for a better interview experience. However, reality has set back in today. Though my GPA is killer (3.8cGPA, 3.8sGPA, 4.0 grad), my MCAT is not great 502 (125/123/128/126). I don't why but I never got "the hang" of CARS. I have acceptances at DO schools but would love to go to MD school. Am I totally getting my hopes up with a 123? Do any of you all know of situations where people got into their In-State schools with a low CARS?

So I interviewed at my in state school yesterday and I feel like I nailed it. Both my interviewers stopped me in the middle of my interview to tell me they "LOVED" me. I literally got so excited on my drive home. I could not have asked for a better interview experience. However, reality has set back in today. Though my GPA is killer (3.8cGPA, 3.8sGPA, 4.0 grad), my MCAT is not great 502 (125/123/128/126). I don't why but I never got "the hang" of CARS. I have acceptances at DO schools but would love to go to MD school. Am I totally getting my hopes up with a 123? Do any of you all know of situations where people got into their In-State schools with a low CARS?

If you got an interview (and an early one!) then the school thinks your MCAT shows that you can handle the rigors of their medical school curriculum. You got this!

After invites, the most important part of the process is the interview:

https://www.aamc.org/download/261106/data/

If the interviews went that well, I would say you've got a good shot.

Last edited:

I bet this works out in your favor. And I would also bet that the interviewers who loved you will go to bat for you in the adcom. I agree with the above that if they brought you in to interview, they saw something they liked. Fingers crossed for you. Power to the non-trads! I have my first interview Friday so this pep talk is for me too... you've got this!

Last edited:
So something I've kind of been struggling with is the concept of updating. "Worthy" updates seem to pretty much only be good grades not previously reported or publications. I'm not taking any more classes until medical school (hopefully), and I don't have time to start any new endeavors because of work. So basically there would be no substance to an update letter because everything is already spelled out in my primary.

Anyone else dealing with this? Am I overestimating the importance of update letters? It seems to be a hot topic these days.

Anyone else dealing with this? Am I overestimating the importance of update letters? It seems to be a hot topic these days.

I think people only recommend big updates like pubs/grades because those kinds of achievements are the types of things that actually gain traction and can help sway a decision

That being said I expect rejections to start coming in any day now so if you think you'll regret not sending something in, may as well

You could try writing a letter of interest too and talk about how these activities you are doing can be furthered by pursuing x y and z unique opportunities at the school

So something I've kind of been struggling with is the concept of updating. "Worthy" updates seem to pretty much only be good grades not previously reported or publications. I'm not taking any more classes until medical school (hopefully), and I don't have time to start any new endeavors because of work. So basically there would be no substance to an update letter because everything is already spelled out in my primary.

I think it depends on the school. I was talking to an MS2 at Jefferson who said that she heard nothing back until she started sending in weekly emails late october ("Every Wednesday at 6:00 p.m.....") and this is corroborated by other Jefferson students that the more you show updates (even just "hey, this is what I've been up to since we last spoke, I volunteered here, did this thing, etc...") the more Jefferson likes you.

On the otherhand you have schools like UMDSOM that don't want to hear from you. period. Until they ask to hear from you or its January and you haven't heard anything.

I think it depends on the school. I was talking to an MS2 at Jefferson who said that she heard nothing back until she started sending in weekly emails late october ("Every Wednesday at 6:00 p.m.....") and this is corroborated by other Jefferson students that the more you show updates (even just "hey, this is what I've been up to since we last spoke, I volunteered here, did this thing, etc...") the more Jefferson likes you.

On the otherhand you have schools like UMDSOM that don't want to hear from you. period. Until they ask to hear from you or its January and you haven't heard anything.

Weekly emails o_O?!

Dear Admissions Committee,

It has been a whole week since I last messaged you with my love. In that time, I have remained employed at my jobs, and I still enjoy volunteering. My dog also wasn't feeling well on Saturday night, but she's much better now, thanks for asking.

Talk soon!

Yours always,
tiramisucheese

P.S. I haven't heard from you in a while. Are you out of town? Would appreciate a response back any day now.
P.P.S. Please love me back.

Reactions: 9 users
That emoji is pretty much what I looked at her like. I wish I'd asked what her stats were that she could pull something like that, but it wasn't the place or the time for that.

Yeah,was thinking of posting a really similar question. I spent so much time on my amcas, then the secondaries, but now I have to keep adding content to maintain interest? Geeeeez! Yeah, was hoping some current medical Nontrads could advise.........
@Eccesignum @mavric1298 @gribear @Gibbward @wholeheartedly @QofQuimica @libertyyne

Update letters? Is there a template? Should we make a Vlog or a flashy PDF or just write a lame old letter?

Update letters? Is there a template? Should we make a Vlog or a flashy PDF or just write a lame old letter?
Just email them at 3:30 am "Heeyyy Adcom, what's up, you awake?"

Email? No no no. If by now you haven't social media stalked the adcom, found their personal cell number, and texted them "wyd?" everyday at 2:30 a.m. you're clearly not interested in their medical school.

Yeah,was thinking of posting a really similar question. I spent so much time on my amcas, then the secondaries, but now I have to keep adding content to maintain interest? Geeeeez! Yeah, was hoping some current medical Nontrads could advise.........
@Eccesignum @mavric1298 @gribear @Gibbward @wholeheartedly @QofQuimica @libertyyne

I personally dont believe in update letters unless it is something substantial. I didnt send one my entire cycle because I am /was lazy and felt like they carried little to no weight. That being said, if you get a promotion at work , or a new project or responsibilites you can send a letter/email. If you have something substantial like a publication or an award I would send them. I doubt they carry any weight unless you won the feild medal , nobel prize, macarthur grant.

I personally did not send update letters coz I just didn’t have anything new to tell them. Thought about sending an letter of interest to the schools I was waitlisted at but I was too lazy and was just done with the process haha

I will say tho that some schools really are receptive to the very frequent updates or emailing just to say hi. I remember a girl that emailed mayo’s admissions office every week or so just to check in coz she was waitlisted and I guess her enthusiasm for the school worked out coz she eventually got accepted. Then you have the opposite side of the spectrum (like my current school) that specifically said “NO UPDATES IF YOU SEND UPDATES WE WILL REJECT YOU”.

I have been told this is very school specific - some schools will reward a lot of updates because of the interest you are showing the school, others not so much. I sent one this past week to all receptive schools with summer grades, new research, new job, and new volunteering (I just moved...). I plan to send another when fall grades come out. I’m not sure about what I would send otherwise, but if you have heard that a particular school is receptive to updates/interest, you could talk about interesting experiences with volunteering or something. Interestingly, my interview invites are only to schools I haven’t updated, but part of the reason I haven’t updated is because of the IIs, so it’s hard to say whether they might have made a difference otherwise!

I’d only update for something semi-substantial. Grades can matter since you do need to finish your degree. Publications could be good (just because they are unpredictable, and if you couldn’t get it on your primary, it’s definitely worth mentioning.) A new job? I probably wouldn’t. New EC, maybe after you’ve actually done something?

But as others have said, it’s very school specific. Some like them. Some have big disclaimers to NOT update. Most probably don’t care.

It’s worth understanding that the bulk of your review is from the primary/secondary. I had updates mentioning my continued participation in X, Y, Z (along with grades, a poster, etc), and when I spoke to Admissions later they asked why I had stopped activities X, Y, Z (because I didn’t fill out amcas with “future hours” for those activities).

Placing an update in context with the rest of your app (and in comparison to the other 100s they read recently) is a challenge. Maybe it will help. It probably won’t hurt. But unless it’s something major, I wouldn’t expect much.

If you don't have anything to update, then there's no need to send anything at all. Updates are really for people who are still working on improving their apps even while applying, or who have some kind of major change that might interest an adcom. Not everyone has to send one, especially if your app is already strong as is.

I recently got a 3:30 AM phone call from a person who wanted to consult me that went like this:
Me: Hi, this is QofQuimica, I'm the fellow on call.
Him: Hey, are you sleeping?
Me: Yes, it's 3:30 AM.
Him: Oh, because I'm awake!
Me (in my head): you.....(not suitable for publication on SDN)
Me (aloud): What can I do to help you?

I recently got a 3:30 AM phone call from a person who wanted to consult me that went like this:
Me: Hi, this is QofQuimica, I'm the fellow on call.
Him: Hey, are you sleeping?
Me: Yes, it's 3:30 AM.
Him: Oh, because I'm awake!
Me (in my head): you.....(not suitable for publication on SDN)
Me (aloud): What can I do to help you?

That is so inconsiderate and wrong on every level. Karma will ensure that they will be plagued with middle of the night calls that have nothing to do with being on call.

That is so inconsiderate and wrong on every level. Karma will ensure that they will be plagued with middle of the night calls that have nothing to do with being on call.
Well, this is (from my perspective) a pretty significant downside to having residents and support staff work on a night float schedule. They sleep during the day and work at night. I, on the other hand, take home call at night after working the day before, and then I go in to work the day after (assuming it's a weekday). There is some flexibility if I have to be up all night taking care of a sick patient where my cofellows could cover my teaching duties and I could go home early to get some rest. And if someone is sick and the primary team needs my help, of course I'm going to do whatever I can to help them, even if it's the middle of the night. But I definitely do not appreciate a 3:30 AM "hey, what's up!" call. :-/

FWIW, I think the guy was just trying to be funny. And he really did have a patient care question he wanted to ask me, so it was reasonable for him to call. But I don't think he has much of a future in standup.

Reactions: 8 users
Good luck tomorrow everyone!!

Reactions: 6 users
I just got an acceptance call!!!!! I can’t believe it.

Reactions: 15 users
The exclamation points, the all-caps, the word "accepted" - they're all giving me sympathetic elation. Such a nice thing to see in this forum of support during this waiting period. Congrats everyone!

im pretty sure if the devil came like in bedazzled and was like ill give you three wishes, i would be like

(1) Acceptance to my state school
(2) a full ride to my state school
(3) a pupper that can quiz me for the boards.

Just got a second acceptance!!! Ahhhh this feels unreal.

Reactions: 11 users
I got my first acceptance - So I guess I'm going to medical school! I also found a volunteer position I feel really passionate about this year, so I will continue to be "resume" building, but I don't know if I"ll be pushing the coursework as much next semester...

Reactions: 16 users
I got my first acceptance - So I guess I'm going to medical school! I also found a volunteer position I feel really passionate about this year, so I will continue to be "resume" building, but I don't know if I"ll be pushing the coursework as much next semester...

@DBC03 ...(wait for it)... YOU'RE GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!!

Congratulations !!!!! yay!!