You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2019/2020 Critical Care Fellowship Application Thread
Started by gulmohr
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Radio silence so far on my end as well.
While we twiddle our thumbs, was wondering as to what the forum's thoughts are on the best places for CCM training in 2019.
Consensus choice from a couple of years ago seemed to be Pitt. UWash was mentioned favourably but they don't seem to have a pure CC track anymore.
While we twiddle our thumbs, was wondering as to what the forum's thoughts are on the best places for CCM training in 2019.
Consensus choice from a couple of years ago seemed to be Pitt. UWash was mentioned favourably but they don't seem to have a pure CC track anymore.
Grace upon grace
New Member
IMG-US (does NOT need Visa)
Less than average step scores
Currently-Hospitalist at a community hospital with open ICU
U of M.. CCM (7/15)
Rejection
Mayo Clinic (7/29)
Emory CCM 8/1
UNC chapel hill 8/2
Less than average step scores
Currently-Hospitalist at a community hospital with open ICU
U of M.. CCM (7/15)
Rejection
Mayo Clinic (7/29)
Emory CCM 8/1
UNC chapel hill 8/2
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So it's a pretty small applicant pool, hence I'm not going to post details till the season is done, but between myself and other applicants I've met interviews have gone out for Baylor, Cleveland Clinic, Cooper, Emory, Mayo, Medical College of Wisconsin, OHSU, Stanford, UMichigan, UPMC, URochester, Wake Forest, WashU. I don't know if they'll send out more as people cancel/offers go out.
They give out positions on a rolling basis. I've seen offers given out as early as three days post interview, and speaking to some current fellows while on the interview trail I've been told they saw a similar time frame. Offers are time limited, aka the applicant is given a period of time (might be a few days, might be a week) to either accept or decline and then the program moves onto the next person on their list. This isn't like the match, there's no single day. If things operate similar to last year, most positions will likely be filled by end of Sept.
Post interview being when we personally interview or following the last interview date of the first wave of interview invites? So would that be 3 days after our first interview or after the last date of the series of dates offered?Post
3 days after the person had their interview, aka if they interviewed today, they would receive the offer Friday. Not every program works like that, but some definitely do.Post interview being when we personally interview or following the last interview date of the first wave of interview invites? So would that be 3 days after our first interview or after the last date of the series of dates offered?
Looks like the interview season is pretty much done from the looks of it.
Have heard of or gotten interviews from Baylor, Cooper, Geisinger, University of Tennessee and NJMS-Rutgers.
Rejections from Yale, Emory, Mayo and University of Washington St. Louis.
IMG
Have heard of or gotten interviews from Baylor, Cooper, Geisinger, University of Tennessee and NJMS-Rutgers.
Rejections from Yale, Emory, Mayo and University of Washington St. Louis.
IMG
No, haven't gone to any yet. First one is in about a week or so.
Yeah, good luck to everybody applying this year.
Yeah, good luck to everybody applying this year.
Anybody hear from Memorial Sloane Kettering yet?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry to be vague but it's a small applicant pool. Offers have gone out from some programs, though not sure where the programs stand in terms of filling up. It seems like programs are planning to have all offers out and aim to be done by the end of Sept.
And to the prior comment from statia above, I do think this field has gotten dramatically more competitive than before with the addition of all the EM people applying. Many of the IM people I'm coming across have done other fellowships already (nephro/cards/ID seem most common). Between the programs I've interviewed at/what I've heard from other applicants at places I haven't, programs have generally had >200 applications and seem to be interviewing 5-8 people per available spot.
Update: Further updates to come after the season is done but wanted to post this before I forgot. In the 9/10/19 issue of JAMA (Vol 322, number 10) there is summary data in the appendix on all GME programs as of 2018 that includes the total number of programs, residents/fellows for all years, as well as first year residents/fellows. The number of spots listed for first year IM-CCM is 126, the number graduating is 130, and the projected number of spots for 2019-2020 is 140.
While there is no comparable data to the NRMP SMS regarding board scores/publications etc, which is obviously very important regarding competitiveness, I would guess there are probably 200-300 applicants for 140 spots, resulting in an applicant to position ratio of 1.4-2.1. The NRMP Charting the Outcomes from 2018 shows a ratio of 0.9 for ID, 1.3 for PCCM, 1.4 for Cardiology/Heme-onc, and 1.5 for GI in comparison. Hopefully this will be helpful to people in the future regarding application plans.
Sources: Graduate Medical Education, 2018-2019
www.nrmp.org
And to the prior comment from statia above, I do think this field has gotten dramatically more competitive than before with the addition of all the EM people applying. Many of the IM people I'm coming across have done other fellowships already (nephro/cards/ID seem most common). Between the programs I've interviewed at/what I've heard from other applicants at places I haven't, programs have generally had >200 applications and seem to be interviewing 5-8 people per available spot.
Update: Further updates to come after the season is done but wanted to post this before I forgot. In the 9/10/19 issue of JAMA (Vol 322, number 10) there is summary data in the appendix on all GME programs as of 2018 that includes the total number of programs, residents/fellows for all years, as well as first year residents/fellows. The number of spots listed for first year IM-CCM is 126, the number graduating is 130, and the projected number of spots for 2019-2020 is 140.
While there is no comparable data to the NRMP SMS regarding board scores/publications etc, which is obviously very important regarding competitiveness, I would guess there are probably 200-300 applicants for 140 spots, resulting in an applicant to position ratio of 1.4-2.1. The NRMP Charting the Outcomes from 2018 shows a ratio of 0.9 for ID, 1.3 for PCCM, 1.4 for Cardiology/Heme-onc, and 1.5 for GI in comparison. Hopefully this will be helpful to people in the future regarding application plans.
Sources: Graduate Medical Education, 2018-2019
Match Data
Core to the NRMP’s mission is the development and distribution of data reports and publications that inform national conversations about the transition to residency and advance understanding of the…
Last edited:
I posted this info in the IM subspecialty forum but figured I should post it here as well just in case...
We are (hopefully) starting up a new critical care fellowship this coming July (2020). The application has been submitted to the ACGME and we find out in early October if it's approved. Problem is, that's already somewhat into the interview/job hunt season and getting the word out to interested applicants quickly is a hurdle we are trying to plan for.
So if you have an interest in a critical care fellowship and are planning on applying for a July 2020 start, keep an eye out. We have a website where people can go and put their email on a notification list. (www.orlandocriticalcare.com) . You can also PM me for more details.
It will be a 2-year CCM-only fellowship; there is no pulm component.
We are (hopefully) starting up a new critical care fellowship this coming July (2020). The application has been submitted to the ACGME and we find out in early October if it's approved. Problem is, that's already somewhat into the interview/job hunt season and getting the word out to interested applicants quickly is a hurdle we are trying to plan for.
So if you have an interest in a critical care fellowship and are planning on applying for a July 2020 start, keep an eye out. We have a website where people can go and put their email on a notification list. (www.orlandocriticalcare.com) . You can also PM me for more details.
It will be a 2-year CCM-only fellowship; there is no pulm component.
Bump for update to my prior post above regarding competitiveness of the field in case it's helpful to current/future applicants
Sorry to be vague but it's a small applicant pool. Offers have gone out from some programs, though not sure where the programs stand in terms of filling up. It seems like programs are planning to have all offers out and aim to be done by the end of Sept.
And to the prior comment from statia above, I do think this field has gotten dramatically more competitive than before with the addition of all the EM people applying. Many of the IM people I'm coming across have done other fellowships already (nephro/cards/ID seem most common). Between the programs I've interviewed at/what I've heard from other applicants at places I haven't, programs have generally had >200 applications and seem to be interviewing 5-8 people per available spot.
Update: Further updates to come after the season is done but wanted to post this before I forgot. In the 9/10/19 issue of JAMA (Vol 322, number 10) there is summary data in the appendix on all GME programs as of 2018 that includes the total number of programs, residents/fellows for all years, as well as first year residents/fellows. The number of spots listed for first year IM-CCM is 126, the number graduating is 130, and the projected number of spots for 2019-2020 is 140.
While there is no comparable data to the NRMP SMS regarding board scores/publications etc, which is obviously very important regarding competitiveness, I would guess there are probably 200-300 applicants for 140 spots, resulting in an applicant to position ratio of 1.4-2.1. The NRMP Charting the Outcomes from 2018 shows a ratio of 0.9 for ID, 1.3 for PCCM, 1.4 for Cardiology/Heme-onc, and 1.5 for GI in comparison. Hopefully this will be helpful to people in the future regarding application plans.
Sources: Graduate Medical Education, 2018-2019
![]()
Match Data
Core to the NRMP’s mission is the development and distribution of data reports and publications that inform national conversations about the transition to residency and advance understanding of the…www.nrmp.org
Seems about right. Surprised just how competitive the field is. As you mentioned, this seems to be due to a rise in general interest in the field as well as the influx of EM and nephro (much more so than other IM subspecialties) applicants.
I've signed an offer letter and wanted to put my experience out there, since I found threads like these helpful when I was applying. For reference, I'm coming from EM, an AMG, Step 1/2 in 250s/260s, a little published research, etc.
I applied to 9 programs total, which, in retrospect, was probably too few. Two of those programs ended up not actually having spots (looking at you, UW) or not having spots for EM, which cut things down to 7. I received 3 interviews, which started to roll in from mid to late July. After that burst, it was essentially radio silence. In hindsight, I would have felt a lot better about things if I'd applied to at least 15 programs. I had been told I would get a spot no problem, but I think my mentors applied at a time when things were a bit less competitive. For future applicants in a similar situation, I would probably say you should shoot for at least 5-6 interviews or so to be comfortable about getting a spot, but I have no data to back that up.
I ended up interviewing at two places, getting a rejection from one and then an acceptance from my top choice, which I was incredibly grateful for and signed as fast as I possibly could before they could change their minds! 😉
It's a whirlwind of a process. In my experience and in light of some of the data from the above posts, it's also one that is getting more competitive. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!
I applied to 9 programs total, which, in retrospect, was probably too few. Two of those programs ended up not actually having spots (looking at you, UW) or not having spots for EM, which cut things down to 7. I received 3 interviews, which started to roll in from mid to late July. After that burst, it was essentially radio silence. In hindsight, I would have felt a lot better about things if I'd applied to at least 15 programs. I had been told I would get a spot no problem, but I think my mentors applied at a time when things were a bit less competitive. For future applicants in a similar situation, I would probably say you should shoot for at least 5-6 interviews or so to be comfortable about getting a spot, but I have no data to back that up.
I ended up interviewing at two places, getting a rejection from one and then an acceptance from my top choice, which I was incredibly grateful for and signed as fast as I possibly could before they could change their minds! 😉
It's a whirlwind of a process. In my experience and in light of some of the data from the above posts, it's also one that is getting more competitive. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!
D
deleted999033
Good luck everyone, just signed an offer from my top choice today as well, IMG needed Visa, IM, steps 250/250ish, some research, applied to 28 program and got 7 interviews and 2 offer so far, didn’t want to wait any longer so I close the deal.
HI
I just completed Nephro fellowship , donot require a visa and was a hospitalist for 6 years ( 4 yrs as a faculty at University Hosp) , I have 6 interviews so far and couldnt match last year despite 7 interviews , I see stiff competition from candidates who have done pulm felllowship as they have a lot of procedural skills , unlike others ,also a request, plz share your opinion about the requirement of research ? how imp is that for CCM fellowship application?
do abstracts help ? or it has to be publications , please advise , will appreciate that
I just completed Nephro fellowship , donot require a visa and was a hospitalist for 6 years ( 4 yrs as a faculty at University Hosp) , I have 6 interviews so far and couldnt match last year despite 7 interviews , I see stiff competition from candidates who have done pulm felllowship as they have a lot of procedural skills , unlike others ,also a request, plz share your opinion about the requirement of research ? how imp is that for CCM fellowship application?
do abstracts help ? or it has to be publications , please advise , will appreciate that
Hi Patton , I have a very similar background like yours, nephrology fellowship and hospitalist but for 8 years and didnt macth 2 years ago and now with only 4 interviews my chances are very slim as I already know that 3 programs have given their positions away already . I think at this time of the game most positions have been given to other candidates. Why experience and competitive candidates like you and me cant get into CCM will remain a mystery. I dont think research play a use role in CCM and i assume your background in Nephrology exposed you to an academic environment. My guest is that the time out of residency and older age would definitely play a role even though is not supposed to be a factor . Good luck this season i hope you get a position in CCM
Card_CCM2020
New Member
How are you Patton and daguev, I am a third year cardiology fellow in NY, and I applied to CCM this year (1 year track). I got 5 interviews (applied to 13 programs), got one rejection so far, and waiting to hear back from 4. One I interviewed > 1 month ago, so unlikely that I will get an offer. Kinda in the same boat as you guys. This process sucks.Hi Patton , I have a very similar background like yours, nephrology fellowship and hospitalist but for 8 years and didnt macth 2 years ago and now with only 4 interviews my chances are very slim as I already know that 3 programs have given their positions away already . I think at this time of the game most positions have been given to other candidates. Why experience and competitive candidates like you and me cant get into CCM will remain a mystery. I dont think research play a use role in CCM and i assume your background in Nephrology exposed you to an academic environment. My guest is that the time out of residency and older age would definitely play a role even though is not supposed to be a factor . Good luck this season i hope you get a position in CCM
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Adding to the numbers posts since this info was always helpful for me as well.
IM only, AMG, applied to 18 programs, received 10 interview offers. Step 1/2 both 250s, >10 publications, top 20 med school, mid-tier academic residency. I was told at interviews my letters were very strong. I ended up getting rejected from the first 3 places I interviewed, put on hold at the 4th one and was pretty stressed at that point. Did four more interviews and ended up with offers from 3 of those 4.
There seems to be a “first wave” of offers that go out as early as several days after the interviews that start in August, and then a second wave that comes in succession once those “first wave” people accept somewhere. Programs generally give you 24 hours to 1 week to consider their offer. Being outside the match really seems to make this a challenging process. I'd also emphasize applying broadly to future applicants and targeting 6-8 interviews if possible. It seems like a lot, but based on the data I noted above, and whatever my subjective experience is worth, the field has become much more competitive. Attendings who are not actively involved in this process often mean well and think that applying to 3-5 places is plenty to get a spot b/c years ago that was true, but it's just not the case anymore. Happy to answer any other questions for future applicants.
IM only, AMG, applied to 18 programs, received 10 interview offers. Step 1/2 both 250s, >10 publications, top 20 med school, mid-tier academic residency. I was told at interviews my letters were very strong. I ended up getting rejected from the first 3 places I interviewed, put on hold at the 4th one and was pretty stressed at that point. Did four more interviews and ended up with offers from 3 of those 4.
There seems to be a “first wave” of offers that go out as early as several days after the interviews that start in August, and then a second wave that comes in succession once those “first wave” people accept somewhere. Programs generally give you 24 hours to 1 week to consider their offer. Being outside the match really seems to make this a challenging process. I'd also emphasize applying broadly to future applicants and targeting 6-8 interviews if possible. It seems like a lot, but based on the data I noted above, and whatever my subjective experience is worth, the field has become much more competitive. Attendings who are not actively involved in this process often mean well and think that applying to 3-5 places is plenty to get a spot b/c years ago that was true, but it's just not the case anymore. Happy to answer any other questions for future applicants.
Card_CCM2020
New Member
Yeah, it would be nice to go through a match. More chances of getting spots. But yeah, a lot of programs told me that they would offer 1 year to cardiology fellows. Many interviewers were "impressed" with my application. Similar as GRT398. AMG, Steps 1/2 239/247, publications, strong letters (read them as one program sent me my entire ERAS file LMAO), 3rd year cardiology fellow. Still waiting to hear back from a few programs. But the rejection letters are pretty fake "it was a tough decision as you are a great applicant". It's all bull crap....I feel like they have a good idea of who they are gonna pick. Def more competitive than I thought.
I kind of agree with lingo of rejections , there are a lot of internal candidates too , several programs despite participating in ERAS told me that they had internal candidates which were likely to get spots , also most of the programs I interviewed had more than 100 applicants for every critical care spot , IM, EM, GS, ID, Nephro, Cards all are applying so it’s tough , this process isn’t candidate friendly and kind of limits u if the offer is made from a program not on top of ur list
Again not sure if research is a top requirement Bc for one year spot current fellows I spoke to aren’t involved in scholarly activity may be some on going CQI which most of them don’t complete anyways
Thoughts please
Again not sure if research is a top requirement Bc for one year spot current fellows I spoke to aren’t involved in scholarly activity may be some on going CQI which most of them don’t complete anyways
Thoughts please
Similar threads
- Replies
- 81
- Views
- 13K