2019/2020 Critical Care Fellowship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gulmohr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Starting this thread primarily for those applying for the ABIM CCM fellowship this year. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck to those who submitted applications today!

Hello. Is there anyone who needs H1 visa applying for straight crit? I understand it gets challenging. Any idea about places with higher acceptance rates?

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone heard back yet? When do the programs start sending out invites for CCM specifically?

I have read on this forum that invites are sent last week in july and first 2 week in August
I have not heard from any program yet

Reactions: 1 user
Any invites for anyone in this forum ? Would be help to post invitations to CCM programs so the rest can have an idea about the interview cycle
Nothing from my end so far

Radio silence so far on my end as well.
While we twiddle our thumbs, was wondering as to what the forum's thoughts are on the best places for CCM training in 2019.
Consensus choice from a couple of years ago seemed to be Pitt. UWash was mentioned favourably but they don't seem to have a pure CC track anymore.

I think University of Maryland has a very strong program as well , Dartmouth might be excellent but application is not trough ERAS
Hope that by this week we start getting invitations

Received interviews at

UMD
Mt Sinai
Cooper
GW

Uwash is filled up for this year and will start interviewing for the next application cycle.

Congratulations, i think the interview process started today , good luck to everyone

IMG-US (does NOT need Visa)
Less than average step scores
Currently-Hospitalist at a community hospital with open ICU

U of M.. CCM (7/15)

Rejection
Mayo Clinic (7/29)
Emory CCM 8/1
UNC chapel hill 8/2

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately not... I think as an img requiring Visa sponsorship, my application is being put in the bottom of the pile.

3 interviews here , don't give up this isn't over

Members don't see this ad :)
Where have you gotten interviews? If you don't mind me asking

Baylor, University of Tennessee and Geisinger program in PA

Any updates from anywhere ? Is there a chance for more interviews to go out over the next few weeks ?

I got 3 Interviews and last day of IV available is mid September , anyone have gone to an IV ?

So it's a pretty small applicant pool, hence I'm not going to post details till the season is done, but between myself and other applicants I've met interviews have gone out for Baylor, Cleveland Clinic, Cooper, Emory, Mayo, Medical College of Wisconsin, OHSU, Stanford, UMichigan, UPMC, URochester, Wake Forest, WashU. I don't know if they'll send out more as people cancel/offers go out.

So this process is first came first served and they will give you a position on the spot or there will be a day where all the positions are giving out ?

They give out positions on a rolling basis. I've seen offers given out as early as three days post interview, and speaking to some current fellows while on the interview trail I've been told they saw a similar time frame. Offers are time limited, aka the applicant is given a period of time (might be a few days, might be a week) to either accept or decline and then the program moves onto the next person on their list. This isn't like the match, there's no single day. If things operate similar to last year, most positions will likely be filled by end of Sept.

Post interview being when we personally interview or following the last interview date of the first wave of interview invites? So would that be 3 days after our first interview or after the last date of the series of dates offered?

Post interview being when we personally interview or following the last interview date of the first wave of interview invites? So would that be 3 days after our first interview or after the last date of the series of dates offered?
3 days after the person had their interview, aka if they interviewed today, they would receive the offer Friday. Not every program works like that, but some definitely do.

Looks like the interview season is pretty much done from the looks of it.

Have heard of or gotten interviews from Baylor, Cooper, Geisinger, University of Tennessee and NJMS-Rutgers.

Rejections from Yale, Emory, Mayo and University of Washington St. Louis.

IMG

I think you are right , i got 3 interviews . Have you gone to the interviews already ? 5 IV in pretty good tho good luck

I did apply there , have not heard from the program yet

MSK has send out invites. Btw do programs notify the remaining candidates if their program is filled? Do we know which ones have sent out offers or are already filled.

Applying next year, wondering how competitive the whole process is. Are scholarly projects/publications heavily favored? Can you skate by with only good scores/letters?

I think if you have 3 to 5 interviews you should be all set , there are only 32 programs , so it is a totally different application process than other fellowships, you should be able to get an offer if your interviews goes well .

Sorry to be vague but it's a small applicant pool. Offers have gone out from some programs, though not sure where the programs stand in terms of filling up. It seems like programs are planning to have all offers out and aim to be done by the end of Sept.

And to the prior comment from statia above, I do think this field has gotten dramatically more competitive than before with the addition of all the EM people applying. Many of the IM people I'm coming across have done other fellowships already (nephro/cards/ID seem most common). Between the programs I've interviewed at/what I've heard from other applicants at places I haven't, programs have generally had >200 applications and seem to be interviewing 5-8 people per available spot.

Update: Further updates to come after the season is done but wanted to post this before I forgot. In the 9/10/19 issue of JAMA (Vol 322, number 10) there is summary data in the appendix on all GME programs as of 2018 that includes the total number of programs, residents/fellows for all years, as well as first year residents/fellows. The number of spots listed for first year IM-CCM is 126, the number graduating is 130, and the projected number of spots for 2019-2020 is 140.

While there is no comparable data to the NRMP SMS regarding board scores/publications etc, which is obviously very important regarding competitiveness, I would guess there are probably 200-300 applicants for 140 spots, resulting in an applicant to position ratio of 1.4-2.1. The NRMP Charting the Outcomes from 2018 shows a ratio of 0.9 for ID, 1.3 for PCCM, 1.4 for Cardiology/Heme-onc, and 1.5 for GI in comparison. Hopefully this will be helpful to people in the future regarding application plans.

Sources: Graduate Medical Education, 2018-2019

Last edited:
I posted this info in the IM subspecialty forum but figured I should post it here as well just in case...

We are (hopefully) starting up a new critical care fellowship this coming July (2020). The application has been submitted to the ACGME and we find out in early October if it's approved. Problem is, that's already somewhat into the interview/job hunt season and getting the word out to interested applicants quickly is a hurdle we are trying to plan for.

So if you have an interest in a critical care fellowship and are planning on applying for a July 2020 start, keep an eye out. We have a website where people can go and put their email on a notification list. (www.orlandocriticalcare.com) . You can also PM me for more details.

It will be a 2-year CCM-only fellowship; there is no pulm component.

Reactions: 3 users
Bump for update to my prior post above regarding competitiveness of the field in case it's helpful to current/future applicants

Sorry to be vague but it's a small applicant pool. Offers have gone out from some programs, though not sure where the programs stand in terms of filling up. It seems like programs are planning to have all offers out and aim to be done by the end of Sept.

And to the prior comment from statia above, I do think this field has gotten dramatically more competitive than before with the addition of all the EM people applying. Many of the IM people I'm coming across have done other fellowships already (nephro/cards/ID seem most common). Between the programs I've interviewed at/what I've heard from other applicants at places I haven't, programs have generally had >200 applications and seem to be interviewing 5-8 people per available spot.

Update: Further updates to come after the season is done but wanted to post this before I forgot. In the 9/10/19 issue of JAMA (Vol 322, number 10) there is summary data in the appendix on all GME programs as of 2018 that includes the total number of programs, residents/fellows for all years, as well as first year residents/fellows. The number of spots listed for first year IM-CCM is 126, the number graduating is 130, and the projected number of spots for 2019-2020 is 140.

While there is no comparable data to the NRMP SMS regarding board scores/publications etc, which is obviously very important regarding competitiveness, I would guess there are probably 200-300 applicants for 140 spots, resulting in an applicant to position ratio of 1.4-2.1. The NRMP Charting the Outcomes from 2018 shows a ratio of 0.9 for ID, 1.3 for PCCM, 1.4 for Cardiology/Heme-onc, and 1.5 for GI in comparison. Hopefully this will be helpful to people in the future regarding application plans.

Sources: Graduate Medical Education, 2018-2019

Seems about right. Surprised just how competitive the field is. As you mentioned, this seems to be due to a rise in general interest in the field as well as the influx of EM and nephro (much more so than other IM subspecialties) applicants.

I've signed an offer letter and wanted to put my experience out there, since I found threads like these helpful when I was applying. For reference, I'm coming from EM, an AMG, Step 1/2 in 250s/260s, a little published research, etc.

I applied to 9 programs total, which, in retrospect, was probably too few. Two of those programs ended up not actually having spots (looking at you, UW) or not having spots for EM, which cut things down to 7. I received 3 interviews, which started to roll in from mid to late July. After that burst, it was essentially radio silence. In hindsight, I would have felt a lot better about things if I'd applied to at least 15 programs. I had been told I would get a spot no problem, but I think my mentors applied at a time when things were a bit less competitive. For future applicants in a similar situation, I would probably say you should shoot for at least 5-6 interviews or so to be comfortable about getting a spot, but I have no data to back that up.

I ended up interviewing at two places, getting a rejection from one and then an acceptance from my top choice, which I was incredibly grateful for and signed as fast as I possibly could before they could change their minds! ;)

It's a whirlwind of a process. In my experience and in light of some of the data from the above posts, it's also one that is getting more competitive. Good luck to everyone waiting to hear back!

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your experience

Good luck everyone, just signed an offer from my top choice today as well, IMG needed Visa, IM, steps 250/250ish, some research, applied to 28 program and got 7 interviews and 2 offer so far, didn’t want to wait any longer so I close the deal.

HI
I just completed Nephro fellowship , donot require a visa and was a hospitalist for 6 years ( 4 yrs as a faculty at University Hosp) , I have 6 interviews so far and couldnt match last year despite 7 interviews , I see stiff competition from candidates who have done pulm felllowship as they have a lot of procedural skills , unlike others ,also a request, plz share your opinion about the requirement of research ? how imp is that for CCM fellowship application?
do abstracts help ? or it has to be publications , please advise , will appreciate that

Hi Patton , I have a very similar background like yours, nephrology fellowship and hospitalist but for 8 years and didnt macth 2 years ago and now with only 4 interviews my chances are very slim as I already know that 3 programs have given their positions away already . I think at this time of the game most positions have been given to other candidates. Why experience and competitive candidates like you and me cant get into CCM will remain a mystery. I dont think research play a use role in CCM and i assume your background in Nephrology exposed you to an academic environment. My guest is that the time out of residency and older age would definitely play a role even though is not supposed to be a factor . Good luck this season i hope you get a position in CCM

Hi Patton , I have a very similar background like yours, nephrology fellowship and hospitalist but for 8 years and didnt macth 2 years ago and now with only 4 interviews my chances are very slim as I already know that 3 programs have given their positions away already . I think at this time of the game most positions have been given to other candidates. Why experience and competitive candidates like you and me cant get into CCM will remain a mystery. I dont think research play a use role in CCM and i assume your background in Nephrology exposed you to an academic environment. My guest is that the time out of residency and older age would definitely play a role even though is not supposed to be a factor . Good luck this season i hope you get a position in CCM
How are you Patton and daguev, I am a third year cardiology fellow in NY, and I applied to CCM this year (1 year track). I got 5 interviews (applied to 13 programs), got one rejection so far, and waiting to hear back from 4. One I interviewed > 1 month ago, so unlikely that I will get an offer. Kinda in the same boat as you guys. This process sucks.

Sorry to hear that , i think this season is over at least for me as I didn't get any position. It is such a weird process , if a 3rd year cardiology fellow cant get a position then who can ?

Lastly i dont know if this would help but I was told by 3 different attending during my interviews that they would offer a 1 year position only to pulm fellows and not to ID, nephrology but they didn't mention cardiology

Adding to the numbers posts since this info was always helpful for me as well.

IM only, AMG, applied to 18 programs, received 10 interview offers. Step 1/2 both 250s, >10 publications, top 20 med school, mid-tier academic residency. I was told at interviews my letters were very strong. I ended up getting rejected from the first 3 places I interviewed, put on hold at the 4th one and was pretty stressed at that point. Did four more interviews and ended up with offers from 3 of those 4.

There seems to be a “first wave” of offers that go out as early as several days after the interviews that start in August, and then a second wave that comes in succession once those “first wave” people accept somewhere. Programs generally give you 24 hours to 1 week to consider their offer. Being outside the match really seems to make this a challenging process. I'd also emphasize applying broadly to future applicants and targeting 6-8 interviews if possible. It seems like a lot, but based on the data I noted above, and whatever my subjective experience is worth, the field has become much more competitive. Attendings who are not actively involved in this process often mean well and think that applying to 3-5 places is plenty to get a spot b/c years ago that was true, but it's just not the case anymore. Happy to answer any other questions for future applicants.

Yeah, it would be nice to go through a match. More chances of getting spots. But yeah, a lot of programs told me that they would offer 1 year to cardiology fellows. Many interviewers were "impressed" with my application. Similar as GRT398. AMG, Steps 1/2 239/247, publications, strong letters (read them as one program sent me my entire ERAS file LMAO), 3rd year cardiology fellow. Still waiting to hear back from a few programs. But the rejection letters are pretty fake "it was a tough decision as you are a great applicant". It's all bull crap....I feel like they have a good idea of who they are gonna pick. Def more competitive than I thought.

I kind of agree with lingo of rejections , there are a lot of internal candidates too , several programs despite participating in ERAS told me that they had internal candidates which were likely to get spots , also most of the programs I interviewed had more than 100 applicants for every critical care spot , IM, EM, GS, ID, Nephro, Cards all are applying so it’s tough , this process isn’t candidate friendly and kind of limits u if the offer is made from a program not on top of ur list
Again not sure if research is a top requirement Bc for one year spot current fellows I spoke to aren’t involved in scholarly activity may be some on going CQI which most of them don’t complete anyways
Thoughts please