2019/2020 Critical Care Fellowship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After lurking on this thread for quite some time, I'd like to add my experience for others if they're interested.

Background:

Went to a state medical school. EM resident at a competitive 3 year county program that has had one other resident go into critical care in the last 5-ish years.
239 step 1, 266 step 2 CK. CS and step 3 were pass and average.
7ish publications before medical school, not first author on any of them. No published research in medical school or residency. I'm not in a chief position in my residency.

Applied late this cycle: sent in everything during first week of August. I decided to go into crit care late second year of residency, and didn't set up my electives the way I should have, so my letters were the last thing in. By then I'd already missed the deadline for 2-3 of the programs on the EMRA website. Applied to about 20 programs. 2 rejections, 2 interviews and got offers from both the places I interviewed at. I haven't heard back from the rest, but I've already accepted the position at one of the two. Both interviews were offered in the two weeks after I submitted my application. I received one rejection during the third week of August and one rejection email last week.

I don't think I'm the strongest applicant out there by far but I think I received very good letters, one from an APD at a nearby pulm crit program and another from a pulm crit attending at the same program. I did an "away" elective there, but they only have pulm crit fellows and don't have any 2 year crit spots. I did it the first month of third year for the experience and for the chance at letters.

For the EM guys out there, there's very little information regarding competitiveness and it was very nerve-racking to apply and not know exactly what crit programs are looking for. I even asked during one of the interviews what they were looking for in EM applicants and didn't really get a specific answer. I'm still not sure I know. Here's some advice I have:

1. Get your applications in on the first day if you know you want to do crit. I think applying late definitely worked against me however I got into the exact program I wanted to go out of all the ones I applied to. I think I was very, very fortunate.

2. Look for programs that have EM attendings or EM residents that are currently fellows or have recently graduated. We are relatively new on the scene and it's easier to get an interview at a place where they have already seen that EM residents can do well in crit.

3. Call places that you think you'd have a decent shot at and express interest. I'd recommend against calling everyone. Just be honest in what you want. One of the two places that offered me interviews was a place where I called the coordinator and inquired about their program. That is where I ultimately ended up choosing.

4. If you know you want critical care early on, then spend your electives doing MICU. Your second year elective should ideally be at the end-ish of second year so that you are a solid resident, can confidently manage sick patients, and have enough time to get letters so that it's not too late in your second year. If you do an elective during your intern year, you may have some trouble as some of these ICU patients can be very complex and it took me a while until I got the hang of managing them during residency, even though our residents get a lot of independence with critically ill patients in our ED. In fact this may be not very helpful as we are one of the few 3 year EM residencies that offer an elective during intern year anyways. Our home base is a county program and we aren't a transplant center or an ECMO center, so when I did my 'away' at the nearby quaternary care center, there was still a lot of learning for me to do but I was able to catch on.

I still haven't heard back from about 16 programs, but of course will be declining interview offers if they come my way and hopefully one of them can go to you! I wish the rest of you out there the best of luck.

I'm happy to answer specific questions via PM. I will try to check in every few days but apologize in advance if I don't get back to you right away.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Season much harder than anticipated. Applied all over, got 6 interviews, may have gotten 1-2 more had I applied on time.
Only had one offer made to me, which I obviously accepted. Glad that's over

After lurking on this thread for quite some time, I'd like to add my experience for others if they're interested.

Background:

Went to a state medical school. EM resident at a competitive 3 year county program that has had one other resident go into critical care in the last 5-ish years.
239 step 1, 266 step 2 CK. CS and step 3 were pass and average.
7ish publications before medical school, not first author on any of them. No published research in medical school or residency. I'm not in a chief position in my residency.

Applied late this cycle: sent in everything during first week of August. I decided to go into crit care late second year of residency, and didn't set up my electives the way I should have, so my letters were the last thing in. By then I'd already missed the deadline for 2-3 of the programs on the EMRA website. Applied to about 20 programs. 2 rejections, 2 interviews and got offers from both the places I interviewed at. I haven't heard back from the rest, but I've already accepted the position at one of the two. Both interviews were offered in the two weeks after I submitted my application. I received one rejection during the third week of August and one rejection email last week.

I don't think I'm the strongest applicant out there by far but I think I received very good letters, one from an APD at a nearby pulm crit program and another from a pulm crit attending at the same program. I did an "away" elective there, but they only have pulm crit fellows and don't have any 2 year crit spots. I did it the first month of third year for the experience and for the chance at letters.

For the EM guys out there, there's very little information regarding competitiveness and it was very nerve-racking to apply and not know exactly what crit programs are looking for. I even asked during one of the interviews what they were looking for in EM applicants and didn't really get a specific answer. I'm still not sure I know. Here's some advice I have:

1. Get your applications in on the first day if you know you want to do crit. I think applying late definitely worked against me however I got into the exact program I wanted to go out of all the ones I applied to. I think I was very, very fortunate.

2. Look for programs that have EM attendings or EM residents that are currently fellows or have recently graduated. We are relatively new on the scene and it's easier to get an interview at a place where they have already seen that EM residents can do well in crit.

3. Call places that you think you'd have a decent shot at and express interest. I'd recommend against calling everyone. Just be honest in what you want. One of the two places that offered me interviews was a place where I called the coordinator and inquired about their program. That is where I ultimately ended up choosing.

4. If you know you want critical care early on, then spend your electives doing MICU. Your second year elective should ideally be at the end-ish of second year so that you are a solid resident, can confidently manage sick patients, and have enough time to get letters so that it's not too late in your second year. If you do an elective during your intern year, you may have some trouble as some of these ICU patients can be very complex and it took me a while until I got the hang of managing them during residency, even though our residents get a lot of independence with critically ill patients in our ED. In fact this may be not very helpful as we are one of the few 3 year EM residencies that offer an elective during intern year anyways. Our home base is a county program and we aren't a transplant center or an ECMO center, so when I did my 'away' at the nearby quaternary care center, there was still a lot of learning for me to do but I was able to catch on.

I still haven't heard back from about 16 programs, but of course will be declining interview offers if they come my way and hopefully one of them can go to you! I wish the rest of you out there the best of luck.

I'm happy to answer specific questions via PM. I will try to check in every few days but apologize in advance if I don't get back to you right away.

This is overall very good advice. I’d like to add for the EM folks out there that it may be time to take advantage of the multiple training pathways afforded to EM applicants given how competitive the medicine pathway was this year and is likely to be next year. For example, the anesthesia-CCM pathway application process through the SF Match occurs much earlier than ERAS and gives EM applicants a shot at landing a fellowship before the ERAS applications open. Of course, EM applicants would need to be very comfortable with the anesthesia pathway, but there are a growing number of legit multidisciplinary, anesthesia-based programs out there. I’ve spoken to a couple of current EM PGY2s who like SICUs and plan to hedge their bets by applying to the anesthesia SF Match this Fall with medicine/ERAS being a back-up in Summer if needed. This is probably a good strategy for the right applicant.

If EM applicants want to take advantage of the anesthesia track, they need to try and get PGY2 electives done in the first half of the year. This will allow enough time to get letters for the SF Application which gets sent out in the late Fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
I posted earlier that we had a possible fellowship opening up late in the cycle and wanted to give an update.

We are happy to announce the newest CCM fellowship has opened at AdventHealth Orlando. The ACGME has granted us initial accreditation. We will have 6 spots per year and will be open to internal medicine and emergency medicine graduates.
Because our approval came late in the cycle we are going to be filling the first year outside of the ERAS process.

The required application documents along with the application process will be available at orlandocriticalcare.com starting on Monday October 7th.
If you have any questions you can PM me here, or email us at [email protected] (the email is better... it just got a whole lot busier around here so checking SDN might be sporadic).

Reactions: 1 user
For people still waiting for interview invites: the season is not yet over. Just received an invite from Baystate. I already accepted an offer to another program so this one will go to the next person waiting. Good luck!

Very kind of you , i got it
Are there more people interviewing at Baystate ? Interview dates seems awfully late , mine is at the end of October

Reactions: 1 user
I posted earlier that we had a possible fellowship opening up late in the cycle and wanted to give an update.

We are happy to announce the newest CCM fellowship has opened at AdventHealth Orlando. The ACGME has granted us initial accreditation. We will have 6 spots per year and will be open to internal medicine and emergency medicine graduates.
Because our approval came late in the cycle we are going to be filling the first year outside of the ERAS process.

The required application documents along with the application process will be available at orlandocriticalcare.com starting on Monday October 7th.
If you have any questions you can PM me here, or email us at [email protected] (the email is better... it just got a whole lot busier around here so checking SDN might be sporadic).

Dr,

I was wondering what is your timeline for interviews would it be before we submit our rank list?

Thank you

Are all the programs filled by now? Anyone still getting offers? Thanks.

There are some programs still interviewing . I got 3 interviews in the last 2 weeks

Are all the programs filled by now? Anyone still getting offers? Thanks.

We still have another week of interviews and I just sent out our second offer. We're doing it on a slow rolling basis while we are still actively interviewing.

Programs that are outside of the match need to send all of their offers before Nov 20 when applicants have to certify their NRMP match lists. So I would imagine that if you are waiting to hear from outside-of-the-match programs you could still hear from them up until Nov 20. If you haven't heard by then, you can always email them to see if they filled all of their spots. But then they may wait to see who emerges unmatched from the NRMP process.

Members don't see this ad :)
We still have another week of interviews and I just sent out our second offer. We're doing it on a slow rolling basis while we are still actively interviewing.

Programs that are outside of the match need to send all of their offers before Nov 20 when applicants have to certify their NRMP match lists. So I would imagine that if you are waiting to hear from outside-of-the-match programs you could still hear from them up until Nov 20. If you haven't heard by then, you can always email them to see if they filled all of their spots. But then they may wait to see who emerges unmatched from the NRMP process.
By offers do you mean interview invites or a position within the program? (With reference to the "second offer")

By offers do you mean interview invites or a position within the program? (With reference to the "second offer")

We have completed our interviews. So now we are sending out our fellowship position offers.
We have 6 spots, so we send 6 offers. If 3 people accept and 3 decline, then we move to the next 3 on the list. If 1 accepts and 2 decline, we move to the next 2 on the list and so on. Until all spots are taken. How long the progress takes depends on how/when people accept their offers. If all 6 accept right up front it will be done quickly.

So, apparently the immediate vacancies has been removed from the general page, and one has to log in to see vacancies. This is the most recent immediate vacancies for July 2020

vacancy-icon.png
Vacancies
Critical Care Anesthesiology Fellowship 2020

Training Start:July, 2020
Immediate
4896 University of Arizona
Description:
Offering a post-residency fellowship clinical position to begin in July 2020.
Eligibility:
Completion of an ACGME Accredited Anesthesiology upon matriculation.
The University of Arizona Department of Anesthesiology has ONE PGY-5 Position available for Critical Care Anesthesiology for 2020. Banner University Medical Center - Tucson is the only ECLS and Level 1 Trauma Center in Southern Arizona and serve a broad population. Fellows in Critical Care Anesthesiology will be exposed high acuity trauma, neurosurgical, neurological, post-surgical, cardiothoracic, and complex medical patients in a diverse critical care.
How to apply:
Interested applicants please email: program application form, cover letter, CV or resume, personal statement, USMLE scores, 3 letters of references and ECFMG certificate (applicable to IMGs).
Program director:Kee Hang Kevin Luk, MD
Fax:520-626-6943
Email:[email protected]
Website:Critical Care Medicine Fellowship | the Department of Anesthesiology
Published Date:08/05/2019
Expiration Date:07/01/2020
Last Modified:08/04/2019

Immediate
4846 University of Alabama Medical Center
Description:
Post-match vacancy available to begin training in July 2020.
Program director:David D Miller, M.D.
Phone:205-996-9571
Fax:205-934-0120
Website:Home - School of Medicine - Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine | UAB
Address:619 S 19th Street JT 823 Birmingham, AL, 35249

Immediate
4850 Loma Linda University
Description:
Program director:Melody Chang, MD
Phone:909-558-4475
Fax:909-558-4143
Website:http://www.lluanesthesia.com/fellowships/critical_care.html
Address:Department of Anesthesiology/ Critical Care 11234 Anderson Street Loma Linda, CA, 92354

Immediate
4851 UCLA Medical Center
Description:
Program director:Vadim Gudzenko, M.D.
Phone:310-267-8653
Fax:310-267-3766
Website:Critical Care Medicine Fellowship - UCLA Anesthesiology & Perioperative Medicine - UCLA Health, Los Angeles, CA
Address:UCLA Department of Anesthesiology and Perioperative Medicine 757 Westwood Plaza, Suite 3304 Los Angeles, CA, 90095-7403

Immediate
4964 University of California, Irvine Medical Center - Critical Care Anesthesiology
Description:
Program director:Trung Q Vu, MD
Phone:714-456-5835
Fax:714-456-7321
Address:333 City Blvd. West Suite 2150 Orange, CA, 92868

Immediate
5131 Cedars-Sinai Medical Center Critical Care Anesthesiology
Description:
Program director:Michael Nurok
Phone:310-423-1682
Fax:310-423-4119
Address:8700 Beverly Blvd. #4209 Los Angeles, CA, 90048

Immediate
5343 Yale University School of Medicine
Description:
Program director:Stanley Rosenbaum, MD
Phone:203-785-2802
Fax:203-785-6664
Address:333 Cedar Street New Haven, CT, 06520

Immediate
4892 George Washington University
Description:
Program director:Jacqueline Honig, MD
Phone:202-715-4750
Fax:202-715-4759
Website:The Jack Zimmerman Intensive Care Unit | The GW School of Medicine & Health Sciences
Address:900 23rd Street, NW Suite G-2092 Washington, DC, 20037

Immediate
4853 University of Florida
Description:
Program director:Peggy White, MD
Phone:352-265-0077
Fax:352-265-6922
Address:PO Box 100254 1600 SW Archer Road, M-509 Gainesville, FL, 32610-0254
Last Modified:11/01/2019

Immediate
4849 University of California San Francisco
Description:
Program director:Kevin Thornton
Phone:415-353-1116
Fax:415-353-1990
Website:http://anesthesia.ucsf.edu/extranet/residency/index.php?page=careers
Address:Box 0624 505 Parnassus Avenue, M917 San Francisco, CA, 94143-0624

Immediate
4855 Mc Gaw Medical Center of Northwestern University
Description:

Immediate
4862 Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Description:
Program director:Ruma Bose, MD
Phone:617-667-5048
Fax:617-667-5050
Address:330 Brookline Ave FD-0220 Boston, MA, 02215

Immediate
4864 University of Massachusetts
Description:
Program director:James Aaron Scott, DO
Phone:508-856-3821
Fax:508-856-5911
Website:https://www.umassmed.edu/anes/fellowship-old/welcome/
Address:55 Lake Avenue North Worcester, MA, 01655

Immediate
4865 Brigham and Women's Hospital
Description:
Program director:Nicholas Sadovnikoff, M.D
Phone:617-732-8280
Fax:617-264-5230
Website:Boston Hospital & Medical Center - Brigham and Women's Hospital
Address:75 Francis Street Boston, MA, 02115-6110

Immediate
4860 University of Maryland Medical Center
Description:
Program director:Jonathan Chow, MD
Phone:410-328-1239
Fax:410-328-0546
Website:Critical Care Medicine Fellowship Program | University of Maryland School of Medicine
Address:22 South Greene Street Suite S11B Baltimore, MD, 21201

Immediate
4866 University of Michigan
Description:
Program director:Murtaza Diwan, M.D..
Phone:734-615-7679
Fax:734-232-4548
Website:Critical Care Fellowship | Anesthesiology | Michigan Medicine
Address:4172 Cardiovascular Center 1500 East Medical Center Drive/SPC 5861 Ann Arbor, MI, 48109

Immediate
5545 Henry Ford Health System
Description:
Program director:Dragos Galusca, MD
Phone:313-916-8372
Fax:313-916-9434
Address:2799 W. Grand Blvd. Detroit, MI, 48202

Immediate
4868 Washington University/B-JH/SLCH Consortium
Description:
Program director:Brian T Wessman, MD
Phone:314-747-3581
Fax:314-747-1710
Address:Box 8054 600 S Euclid Avenue St Louis, MO, 63110

Immediate
4871 New York Presbyterian Hospital Weill Cornell Medical Center
Description:
Program director:James A Osorio, MD
Phone:212-746-2779
Fax:212-746-8563
Address:525 East 68th Street Payson 3 - Box 124 New York, NY, 10065

Immediate
4872 University of Rochester
Description:
Program director:Peter J Papadakos, M.D.
Phone:585-275-2143
Fax:585-276-0122
Address:Department of Anesthesiology, Box 604 601 Elmwood Avenue Rochester, NY, 14642
Last Modified:08/05/2019

Immediate
4874 Mount Sinai School of Medicine
Description:
Program director:Leila Hosseinian, MD
Phone:212-241-8867
Fax:212-860-3669
Website:http://icahn.mssm.edu/departments-a...vices/critical-care-anesthesiology-fellowship
Address:Mount Sinai Hospital One Gustave L Levy Place, Box 1264 New York, NY, 10029

Immediate
5059 Columbia University ACCM Fellowship
Description:
Program director:Vivek K Moitra, MD
Phone:212-305-8633
Website:http://www.cumc.columbia.edu/dept/anesthesiology/education/fellowship/critical.html
Address:622 West 168th Street Rm 527 New York, NY, 10032

Immediate
5518 NYU Langone Health - Anesthesiology Critical Care Fellowship
Description:
Offering 2 post-residency fellowship clinical positions to begin on 7/1/20
Eligibility:
Successfully graduated from an ACGME accredited anesthesiology residency
How to apply:
Interested applicants email CAS application and support documents
Program director:Mark Nunnally, MD
Phone:646-501-0140
Address:550 First Avenue New York, NY, 10016

Immediate
4877 University Hospital/University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
Description:
Program director:Suzanne Bennett, M.D.
Phone:513-584-5688
Fax:513-584-4003
Address:231 Albert Sabin Way PO Box 670531 Cincinnati, OH, 45267-0531

Immediate
4879 Cleveland Clinic Foundation
Description:
Program director:Roshni Sreedharan, M.D
Phone:216-444-3877
Fax:216-444-7360
Website:https://my.clevelandclinic.org/depa...fessionals/fellowships/critical-care-medicine
Address:Cleveland Clinic Foundation-G58 9500 Euclid Avenue Cleveland, OH, 44195

Immediate
4881 University of Pennsylvania
Description:
Eligibility:
Successfully graduated from an ACGME accredited anesthesiology residency
How to apply:
Interested applicants please email CAS application and support documents. Example of support documents: CV, personal statement, 2 l letters of reference and ECFMG certificate (applicable to IMGs).
Program director:Maurizio Cereda, M.D.
Phone:215-662-7832
Website:http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/anesthesiology-residency/fellowships/ccm.html
Address:680 Dulles Building 3400 Spruce Street Philadelphia, PA, 19104

Immediate
4882 UPMC Medical Education
Description:
Post-match vacancy available to begin training in July 2020
Program director:Ata M Kaynar, M.D., MPH
Phone:412-864-2244
Fax:412-647-8060
Website:http://www.ccm.pitt.edu/anesthesiology-critical-care-fellowship
Address:Office of Education 3550 Terrace Street, Scaife Hall - 6th Floor Pittsburgh, PA, 15213

Immediate
4883 Medical University of South Carolina
Description:
Program director:Stephanie K Whitener, M.D.
Phone:843-792-4316
Fax:843-792-9314
Address:167 Ashley Ave, Suite 301 MSC 912 Charleston, SC, 29425

Immediate
4885 University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio
Description:
Program director:Emily Vail, MD Msc
Phone:210-567-6137
Fax:210-567-6135
Website:http://anesthesia.uthscsa.edu/CriticalCareFellowship
Address:7703 Floyd Curl Drive Mail Code 7838 San Antonio, TX, 78229

Immediate
4889 University of Texas Southwestern Medical School
Description:
Program director:Bryan Romito, MD
Phone:214-648-9250
Fax:214-648-7660
Address:5323 Harry Hines Boulevard, CS02.126 Dallas, TX, 75390-9068

Immediate
5273 University of Virginia - Critical Care Medicine Fellowship
Description:
Program director:Bhiken I Naik, MBBCh
Phone:434-924-2283
Fax:434-982-0019
Address:1215 Lee Street PO Box 800710 Charlottesville, VA, 22908

Immediate
4893 University of Wisconsin
Description:
Program director:Micah Long, M.D.
Phone:608-265-3734
Address:U. of Wisconsin SoM and Public Health B6/319 CSC 600 Highland Avenue Madison, WI, 53792-3272

Immediate
4984 Medical College of Wisconsin
Description:
Program director:Sylvia Y Dolinski, M.D., FCCP
Phone:414-805-6106
Fax:414-805-5915
Address:9200 West Wisconsin Avenue P.O. Box 26099 Milwaukee, WI, 53226

Immediate
5394 Tufts Medical Center
Description:
Program director:Andrea Tsai, MD
Phone:617-636-9339
Fax:617-636-8384
Website:https://www.tuftsmedicalcenter.org/patient-care-services/Departments-and-Services/Anesthesiology/
Address:800 Washington Street PO BOX 398 Boston, MA, 02211
Published Date:08/14/2019
Last Modified:11/27/2019

Immediate
4869 Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
Description:
Program director:Matthew Koff, M.D., MS
Phone:603-650-4642
Fax:603-650-0614
Website:http://gme.dartmouth-hitchcock.org/critical_care_anesthesiology.html
Address:One Medical Center Drive Lebanon, NH, 03756
Published Date:08/14/2019
Last Modified:08/14/2019

Has anyone actually been successful in obtaining a spot this way? Every program has gotten back to me saying they arent AGCME accredited for graduates of internal medicine

Has anyone actually been successful in obtaining a spot this way? Every program has gotten back to me saying they arent AGCME accredited for graduates of internal medicine

The programs that @psychbender posted are open 1-year anesthesia-CCM positions for graduates of an anesthesiology (or surgery) residency. The only other people eligible for anesthesia CCM fellowships are graduates of EM residencies, but spots for EPs are 2 years and must be prior approved by the ABA.

Whoops, jumped in mid-thread and didn't realize you all were talking about IM-CC spots, since I was just reading through an Anes-CC thread on that other forum. Sorry for the confusion.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Guys! Are there any unfilled spots for CCM via IM route? Is there way to find those spots?

Thanks

Whoops, jumped in mid-thread and didn't realize you all were talking about IM-CC spots, since I was just reading through an Anes-CC thread on that other forum. Sorry for the confusion.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

No worries. I have actually had a couple programs ask me to send my info over after I confirmed with them that I am an IM graduate and they said it was fine. Im not sure how this would even work for ACGME/ABIM purposes but im hopeful.

No worries. I have actually had a couple programs ask me to send my info over after I confirmed with them that I am an IM graduate and they said it was fine. Im not sure how this would even work for ACGME/ABIM purposes but im hopeful.
So you are saying that even Anesthesia Critical Care programs can take IM graduates if they want to?

So you are saying that even Anesthesia Critical Care programs can take IM graduates if they want to?

Programs that would do that are shady as the trainees would not be in an ABA or ABIM approved training spot which means no CCM Board Certification.