[2019-2020] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If a SLOE goes up AFTER October 1 will programs see it?
Or will they have to re-download the whole application, and do they even do that after October 1?

I'm assuming most programs just download the applicant's file on October 1 and then that's that.
I'm worried because my letter won't be uploaded in time because the LOR author used the wrong name and it got rejected. I was relying on this and I'm terrified my application of 4 years in the making will tank because of something like this

I login to eras and view the most updated app. I dont download anything. You can generate a pdf of the app, but Im not sure why anyone would choose to screen apps that way. Its far easier to make your filters on eras, click on an applicant in a generated list, mark their app for interview, waitlist, incomplete, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

I’m in the same predicament. Top program I’m interested in, rotating Nov/Dec. I decided to just work around the schedule with interviews.
I feel I would regret canceling the rotation.
Need an opinion. Have a sub-i at one of my top programs 11/18-12/15, the peak of interview season. Should I 1. go for it and schedule interviews around this, 2. try to get the program to reschedule me (have been in contact w' them several times to reschedule and at this point I may just be getting annoying), or 3. drop the sub-i?

I login to eras and view the most updated app. I dont download anything. You can generate a pdf of the app, but Im not sure why anyone would choose to screen apps that way. Its far easier to make your filters on eras, click on an applicant in a generated list, mark their app for interview, waitlist, incomplete, etc.

By that logic, if we get a SLOE uploaded early/mid October, is it necessary/worth it to update programs about it?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Not really. Because many programs haven't even looked at apps by early October. Many wait until after MPSEs come out. And then starts the process at looking at a huge number. If a program needs another SLOE to make a judgement (lets say you only have one) they can mark the app incomplete to come back to it later.

Emailing a program to tell them you have a third SLOE when programs don't expect or require 3rd SLOEs is unnecessary. Its probably unnecessary to contact them if its one of your first two SLOEs as well, just because most programs wait until October to look at the majority of their apps.

Reactions: 1 user
How many interviews does everyone have typically by this time of year for EM?

I'm sitting at two and one is from my home institution. I was talking to an intern on shift yesterday and she said interviews really start to blow up after Oct 1/Oct 15

Is is rude to ask a clerkship director when our SLOEs will be uploaded?

is one interview invite for EM ok at this point????

Members don't see this ad :)

Attachments

• 1569924512408.jpeg
    1569924512408.jpeg
    5.4 KB · Views: 59
  • Haha

Thank you! Appreciate the reply :)

FYI, the national embargo day of when to release invites is Oct 15th. Not every EM programs hold to this, but a lot do. So don't expect a ton of invites outside of places you rotate until mid October.

Is there a reason EM decides to do this? I know other specialities do the same, but it just seems cruel to have students get applications in sept 15 to then sit around for a month and watch all their friends in IM, FM, Peds, Psych, gen surg, etc get thrown lots of IIs.... of course we become neurotic!!

ERAS opens in September, but that doesn't mean applications are complete then. Without an MPSE, you have no idea how students did in their clinical rotations, where they rank in their class, whether there were any leave of absences, disciplinary actions in med school, etc. And many candidates don't have their SLOEs yet. So yes, ERAS opens, but applications are really incomplete, so programs wait a little while to get a more complete picture of candidates.

Personally, I always thought that there should be a national day when schools have to release their MPSEs, and it should correlate with when ERAS opens. Why its staggered the way it is, who knows.

Is there anyway for us to find out which programs are participating in the OCT 15th release? So far i only know of

- Loyola

What is the consensus on cancelling an away at a program AFTER getting an interview invitation from them? I'm really exhausted from my sub-i's and have some personal things going on and just recently got an interview from a program I'm scheduled to visit in December. Will cancelling this interview now (2 months in advance) with a solid reason affect my chances ultimately?

if you cancel the rotation, they will probably cancel the interview. Doesnt mean you shouldnt cancel the rotation, its only one interview.

so if D-day is actually October 15, when should I start panicking about not having a second SLOE in? I am currently waiting on 2 to be uploaded, both were requested at the beginning of september.

Shout out to all the applicants sitting on zero interviews so far.. it's gonna be a rough next 3 weeks or so, but let's hang in there.

Reactions: 9 users
Just found out my Clerkship Director Resigned, so now I have to wait for them to appoint a 2nd one in order to get my 2nd SLOE. Currently have 1 IM, 1 EM and 1 SLOE. 1 rejection so far. These next 2 weeks are going to kill me. I blame Grey's Anatomy/House for making me go into Medicine lol

Hi everyone! I have a question and can't seem to get a consensus. I am currently doing an away rotation in Chicago and am wondering if I should just take the opportunity to ask surrounding programs to potentially interview while I am here? I am from the south so having to return for an interview would clearly add unnecessary spending. Some have encouraged this while others say it could be damaging. Thoughts?

Am I the only one that only has interviews from auditions? I haven't heard a single peep from other programs. Applied to 60+.

Am I the only one that only has interviews from auditions? I haven't heard a single peep from other programs. Applied to 60+.
Yeh everyone else has 15 interviews scheduled. Sorry friend.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
I got only one interviews so far. Applied for 140+. Have not gotten any rejections as well. I don't know whats going on. I took the video interview in mid September and they say they would post the score in mid October. I dont know if that's the reason or not.

@gamerEMdoc You deserve a generous gift on behalf of this EM community :\ But its so hard bc everyone I know has at least 2-3 interviews outside of home and aways.

@gamerEMdoc You deserve a generous gift on behalf of this EM community :\ But its so hard bc everyone I know has at least 2-3 interviews outside of home and aways.

Just hold the line. Interviews will come. Gotta have faith. And if they don't, then you'll know you have a major red flag (bad SLOE) that is scaring programs away. My general rule of thumb is 6 interviews by Nov means you'll be fine to get at least 10. Most will get there.

Reactions: 4 users
My first SLOE was just uploaded this morning. I’m assuming programs have bypassed my app since it was incomplete. I now have 3 letters in (1 SLOE, 1 EM, 1 off service).
Should I update programs that I now have a SLOE in?
I understand it’s early, but considering that my first SLOE was just uploaded, what do y’all think?

Just hold the line. Interviews will come. Gotta have faith. And if they don't, then you'll know you have a major red flag (bad SLOE) that is scaring programs away. My general rule of thumb is 6 interviews by Nov means you'll be fine to get at least 10. Most will get there.
Image result for hodor hold the door gif500 × 273

Reactions: 4 users
My first SLOE was just uploaded this morning. I’m assuming programs have bypassed my app since it was incomplete. I now have 3 letters in (1 SLOE, 1 EM, 1 off service).
Should I update programs that I now have a SLOE in?
I understand it’s early, but considering that my first SLOE was just uploaded, what do y’all think?

According to a previous post by Gamer, programs likely view your application on ERAS rather than download it, which means they are looking at the most up to date version. Also, a lot of programs haven’t even sent out invites yet. With those things in mind I think you’re probably fine and don’t need to update anyone.

I am no expert though, that’s just what I’ve heard.

I don't think you need to update anyone. If someone looked at your app early and you had no SLOEs, they would have marked you incomplete, and hopefully they go back and look at their incomplete list. I go back and look at the incomplete list several times actually to make sure I don't miss anyone.

That being said, I think Nov is the appropriate time to reach out and email programs. This is about the time for a second wave of invites anyways. If you feel like your app has been overlooked for whatever reason (geography, late SLOEs, etc) then an email after Nov 1st to the program coordinator is appropriate. I wouldnt email programs multiple times asking for an interview, which is why I think waiting until after Nov 1st is appropriate.

Reactions: 2 users
Let me just say, this process is :( . I check my emails over 100 times daily and have only gotten one EM interview from my first away. I applied broadly to 100 EM programs because my stats are below average and my advisor told me not to even try . I guess I am hoping there is a school out there that can focus on other parts of my application other than 221 on step 1 and 225 on step 2ck. I am considering emailing some schools just to see but I dont even know. Still waiting on my second SLOE to go up which im hoping happens soon. There really isn't a question here , just writing out my frustrations I guess. I just started an away at a new place but im wondering since the SLOE no 3 from here wont be out till November, does it even matter ?

If it makes anyone feel better, this happens every year. Sept 15-21 there are a bunch of jokes about "where are the interviews". Last week of Sept some early freaking out. Then the first week of October people start losing their minds. You all just have to trust me, the interviews will come.

Reactions: 8 users
Let me just say, this process is :( . I check my emails over 100 times daily and have only gotten one EM interview from my first away. I applied broadly to 100 EM programs because my stats are below average and my advisor told me not to even try . I guess I am hoping there is a school out there that can focus on other parts of my application other than 221 on step 1 and 225 on step 2ck. I am considering emailing some schools just to see but I dont even know. Still waiting on my second SLOE to go up which im hoping happens soon. There really isn't a question here , just writing out my frustrations I guess. I just started an away at a new place but im wondering since the SLOE no 3 from here wont be out till November, does it even matter ?
Applying to 100 programs was never the answer. Applying to the right programs was the answer. I’m assuming you got some of the right ones in that 100.

Reactions: 2 users

Unless you have a bad SLOE, you'll match. The match rate for a US MD grad with your step 1 score was 93% in 2018. Whoever told you to apply to 150 programs was misguided IMO.

Is there any truth to the October 15th interview flood, I wanted to know If that is a day to stay home and monitor my emails o_O or is It the 16th ?

Is there any truth to the October 15th interview flood, I wanted to know If that is a day to stay home and monitor my emails o_O or is It the 16th ?

It's literally like 15 posts up with the date, times, and programs that are doing it.

There's only like 30 programs or so that are adhering to this interview embargo though. Some will send out invites before, some after. There's no set in stone day for all programs.

what does it mean if i got an email from eras saying my application is currently under review at such and such residency. do they send that to every tom dick joe and harry that applies or does it mean something?

what does it mean if i got an email from eras saying my application is currently under review at such and such residency. do they send that to every tom dick joe and harry that applies or does it mean something?
It means they are reviewing your application

Reactions: 3 users
did i pass some screening process or something though?