[2019-2020] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
awesome thank you

Members don't see this ad.

1570275541392.png

• Haha
Reactions: 13 users
How many waves do programs usually give out interviews in?

If a program has already given out interviews to a few of my classmates is it safe to assume im probably not going to get one from that program?

Members don't see this ad :)
How many waves do programs usually give out interviews in?

If a program has already given out interviews to a few of my classmates is it safe to assume im probably not going to get one from that program?

Several. You can't possibly send out your invites once. Because people will decline some, and people will schedule some and then cancel later.

Here's how I do it. I can't tell you that's how everyone does it, but I'd imagine many programs do things in some variations of this:

1. Invite all students that rotated first once ERAS opens.

Our true "first wave" of invites for non-rotators is typically made up by:
2. Look at apps from in-state and nearby candidates from Sept to early Oct
3. Look at apps from students that applied for rotation but we couldn't schedule for whatever reason

These two are going to take up maybe 3/4 of the interviews.

3. From Mid Oct to mid Nov, I then have a better idea how many interviews we have left to offer based on who has scheduled, declined, canceled etc. Then starts a process of filling the last few spots and building a waitlist for when cancelations start rolling in come Dec/January.

Reactions: 2 users
Several. You can't possibly send out your invites once. Because people will decline some, and people will schedule some and then cancel later.

Here's how I do it. I can't tell you that's how everyone does it, but I'd imagine many programs do things in some variations of this:

1. Invite all students that rotated first once ERAS opens.

Our true "first wave" of invites for non-rotators is typically made up by:
2. Look at apps from in-state and nearby candidates from Sept to early Oct
3. Look at apps from students that applied for rotation but we couldn't schedule for whatever reason

These two are going to take up maybe 3/4 of the interviews.

3. From Mid Oct to mid Nov, I then have a better idea how many interviews we have left to offer based on who has scheduled, declined, canceled etc. Then starts a process of filling the last few spots and building a waitlist for when cancelations start rolling in come Dec/January.

how do you know who applied to to an away and didnt get one?
you would have to remember the name and manually look for their application? -- is this correct

how do you know who applied to to an away and didnt get one?
you would have to remember the name and manually look for their application? -- is this correct

ERAS lets you build in custom application checkboxes and then you can build a filter for anything that's checked. Our program coordinator marks people as having applied but didn't rotate in ERAS, she just keeps a list of everyone that applied, and once ERAS opens, she goes and checks them off. You can sometimes miss people this way, same as with those that rotate, if the app isn't in by Sept 15. She goes in shortly after and sends out all the invites to the rotators. So if someone submits after that, they can get missed. However, I usually catch them anyways.

What if you applied on vsas but got rejected for their rotation? Unsure if it’s due to limited spots vs non-competitive app vs whatever else...

I look at everyone that applied, I didnt say I grant them all an interview. So if someone got denied rotation because of some glaring red flag, they’d likely get denied an interview. But thats not most students. Most get denied because we just dont have the space to take more than 6-8 students on any given month.

Reactions: 2 users
I look at everyone that applied, I didnt say I grant them all an interview. So if someone got denied rotation because of some glaring red flag, they’d likely get denied an interview. But thats not most students. Most get denied because we just dont have the space to take more than 6-8 students on any given month.

What about for someone who got accepted for a rotation but turned it down due to schedule conflicts? Does that signal a lack of interest?

Stupid question but generally is it harder to get an interview than a rotation at a program?

Stupid question but generally is it harder to get an interview than a rotation at a program?

From personal experience so far, the Official "Ease List" goes something like

1. ERAS/Residency Interview
2. Tinder
3. VSAS

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Idk. I mean, you can interview way more people than you can allow rotate, so in that sense it should be easier. But the applicant pool for interviews is bigger than rotations, so that has to be factored in. Its probably variable by program. I think if you are in state, its probably easier to get an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you reach out to a program regarding an update in your app, how is that typically done. Email the PD and cc the coordinator? Just email the program coordinator? Etc.

So I received a HP at an away rotation at a very competitive program know for being relatively tough with their grading scale, and they did not offer guaranteed IVs to their rotators. They have already sent out one batch of IVs and I haven’t received one or any communication from them for that matter.. am I SOL for an interview from this program? I really loved the program and had a great time there and made sure to communicate my sincere interest in the program while I was there.

No idea why people ask stuff like this. It's literally impossible to know.

Reactions: 3 users
So i finally got my second sloe uploaded today and i sent them to all the EM programs using the application system. Do i need to email each individual program to let them know my second sloe is up, i have only one interview so far so i am really worried they've already downloaded my application and wont see the update.

The program director at my last rotation agreed to wire me a sloe. I sent all my information on 9/20. And then when I ended that rotation on 9/29 I sent her a gentle reminder. And know it’s 10/9 and I still haven’t heard back. Should I send her another reminder or wait? I don’t want to be annoying since I also applied there for residency but I need a 2nd sloe still and am getting nervous

The program director at my last rotation agreed to wire me a sloe. I sent all my information on 9/20. And then when I ended that rotation on 9/29 I sent her a gentle reminder. And know it’s 10/9 and I still haven’t heard back. Should I send her another reminder or wait? I don’t want to be annoying since I also applied there for residency but I need a 2nd sloe still and am getting nervous

I would. It's getting late.

Reactions: 1 user
So i finally got my second sloe uploaded today and i sent them to all the EM programs using the application system. Do i need to email each individual program to let them know my second sloe is up, i have only one interview so far so i am really worried they've already downloaded my application and wont see the update.

I'd imagine most people just view apps on ERAS. I can't imagine why anyone would "download" a PDF of the apps in Sept and view them all that way. I'm not sure why you would when the app would always be out of date that way since SLOEs are constantly getting uploaded. Not saying someone out there isn't doing it this way, it just makes no sense.

That being said, you shouldn't need to send an email to everywhere you applied saying something changed. Feel free to reach out in Nov to a few places you still may want to interview at, but its too early to start mass emailing programs with updates and LOIs in my opinion.

I got my step 2 ck score back today. Pretty happy as I got mid 220s step one. Jumped to a 249 on ck. I just resent my scores to the schools. Will take about a day to process request. Question is, should I email an update to the schools I applied? I have been struggling a bit with interviews. I can't think of any reason for that other than my step 1 without any step 2. Honored at 2 big name EM programs so SLOEs should be good.

So question is, should I email schools and resend scores or just resend scores?

Thanks!

Does it matter if interviews are early on vs. later on in the interview season? I keep reading online that some say its better to do interviews early on since the interviewers are not burnt out... then I read stuff later on that says its better to interview later since the interviewers will remember you. Helppp

October 16th is going to be ridiculous

Reactions: 5 users
Does it matter if interviews are early on vs. later on in the interview season? I keep reading online that some say its better to do interviews early on since the interviewers are not burnt out... then I read stuff later on that says its better to interview later since the interviewers will remember you. Helppp
You know the way when you take an exam, you get a numerical score? Even if you don't remember the material, you do recall that you scored, say, an 89.

That is how many/most residency applicant committees do it. There is a rubric that is used to score, which makes the subjective objective. There are some people that are unreasonable *****, all the time. But, with an objective score, that individuality is somewhat mitigated.

However, of course, there may also be a meeting where one interviewer can say "I really like this applicant" or "although his score is good, this guy just said the wrong stuff - nothing unprofessional or crude, but, I can't support him". The picture will go up, and they can say "remember this one" (whether good or bad).

The rationale you use is somewhat outdated, was true in the past, and unjustly instills fear into you and other applicants. I wonder where online you "keep reading that".

Doesn't matter.

The day I’ll have 100 inbox messages to answer about not having 12 interviews yet.

"Dear gamerEMdoc,

It is 12:01pm EST on Oct. 16th and I scheduled all my interviews within 7 secs from the IB send out but I only have *eleven* - do you think if I sent programs my first born child that I have a chance of getting the twelfth??? Or should I apply to 50 more programs and exacerbate the debt crisis? Also, what do you think my chances are of SOAPing into a Papua New Guinean family medicine program if all else fails?

Thanks so much,

studiusneuroticus19"

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
"Dear gamerEMdoc,

It is 12:01pm EST on Oct. 16th and I scheduled all my interviews within 7 secs from the IB send out but I only have *eleven* - do you think if I sent programs my first born child that I have a chance of getting the twelfth??? Or should I apply to 50 more programs and exacerbate the debt crisis? Also, what do you think my chances are of SOAPing into a Papua New Guinean family medicine program if all else fails?

Thanks so much,

studiusneuroticus19"

Most Honorable gamerEMdoc, I know you said not to inbox you right away on Oct 16, but it is now 12:03 EST. It has been all quiet on the western front and I am concerned about what this means for the future. At this point, I have now applied to every single EM program and I feel as though I am running out of options.

Respectfully,

-Toxin066

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Most Honorable gamerEMdoc, I know you said not to inbox you right away on Oct 16, but it is now 12:03 EST. It has been all quiet on the western front and I am concerned about what this means for the future. At this point, I have now applied to every single EM program and I feel as though I am running out of options.

Respectfully,

-Toxin066
my dude

We are all feeling the sweat

stay strong

I've been doing good at keeping anxiety at bay for the most part, but now that it has been ~1 month of this I'm hitting a wall and can't calm myself down any longer!

Wait... is that bad? That's roughly where I am. A mix of competitive and less competitive programs.

No, not bad. Especially before Oct. 15; by my reading of the statistics, a candidate that matches 95% of the time should get an interview from about 25-30% of places they apply if they are an average applicant (applied to average number of programs, average scores, average SLOEs). You are over halfway there with a huge release of invites coming that will result in openings in places that have already released (trickle-down interviewnomics) in addition to potential invites you may obtain on Oct. 15.

You really only need 5 more interviews to be at a sweet spot of diminishing returns.

If you are at 6 by Nov 1, chances are you'll have more than 10. Mainly because there is a second wave of invites usually, and also its not that hard to dig up a few with email LOIs if it comes to that.
1570754758106.png

Reactions: 1 user
If you are at 6 by Nov 1, chances are you'll have more than 10. Mainly because there is a second wave of invites usually, and also its not that hard to dig up a few with email LOIs if it comes to that.

When you "dig up" invites this way... do you actually have a good chance of being ranked highly on the program's list? Or does it just make us neurotic students feel better to say we completed the magic number of interviews?