2019-2020 LECOM-E Post Bacc (Masters program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SchizoidCarpet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I would start a thread for this years LECOM Post Bacc/Masters program. FYI recently found out that the Erie Post Bacc has made the switch to a Master of Medical Science.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Figured I would start a thread for this years LECOM Post Bacc/Masters program. FYI recently found out that the Erie Post Bacc has made the switch to a Master of Medical Science.

Hello,
Where and how did you specifically here that the Erie Post Bacc has made the switch to a Master of Medical Science? Last I checked they did not do that. The Post Bacc and the Master of Medical Science are two separate programs.

Hello,
Where and how did you specifically here that the Erie Post Bacc has made the switch to a Master of Medical Science? Last I checked they did not do that. The Post Bacc and the Master of Medical Science are two separate programs.

Direct email from the admissions coordinator Mr. Jamie Murphy, I had applied some weeks earlier and received an update 1-11-19.
LECOM Update.png

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,
Direct email from the admissions coordinator Mr. Jamie Murphy, I had applied some weeks earlier and received an update 1-11-19.
View attachment 248322

Well that is interesting to know. Do you mind send me the attachment Mr.Jamie sent to you? I would love to know why they changing it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Well that is interesting to know. Do you mind send me the attachment Mr.Jamie sent to you? I would love to know why they changing it.

Forwarded it along to your email.

Last edited by a moderator:
Further update, accepted today with a cGPA 3.72, sGPA 3.64, MCAT 495.

Reactions: 4 users
Hey everyone! I got my acceptance as well. I’m just trying to figure out the logistics of the linkage. Is it if you get above a 3.2, don’t fail any classes or get in trouble along with 40th percentile or 110 AIS score and acceptable interview you will matriculate into the medical school (or whatever school you prefer)? I know they can’t “GUARANTEE” but basically what the “guarantee” requirements are?

Hey everyone! I got my acceptance as well. I’m just trying to figure out the logistics of the linkage. Is it if you get above a 3.2, don’t fail any classes or get in trouble along with 40th percentile or 110 AIS score and acceptable interview you will matriculate into the medical school (or whatever school you prefer)? I know they can’t “GUARANTEE” but basically what the “guarantee” requirements are?
Congratulations on your acceptance!! Do you mind sharing your stats? Also, yes everything you stated is correct. In order to matriculate into the medical school you would need to haven taken the mcat by then (it would be required). Don't fail any classes- the lowest you can get is a C w/out "failing". However i'm not sure on how rigorous the coursework is anyway. Guess it depends on the person, right?

Thread moved to the Osteopathic School-Specific Discussions subsection.
This should be in the post-bacc section not the Osteopathic School-Specific Discussions subsection ... all of the other ones are at the post-bacc. I dont think people will find this thread otherwise ... (just a thought!)

This should be in the post-bacc section not the Osteopathic School-Specific Discussions subsection ... all of the other ones are at the post-bacc. I dont think people will find this thread otherwise ... (just a thought!)

There is a few laying around, so I’ll go ahead and look into it! Thanks for the suggestion!

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a few laying around, so I’ll go ahead and look into it! Thanks for the suggestion!

For 2019-2020 there are two now... one for LECOM-Bradenton-MMS and one for LECOM-Erie-MMS, which used to be a post-bacc (hence the "E" for Erie). :) Would be nice to have them in one sub-section. Thanks! :)

For 2019-2020 there are two now... one for LECOM-Bradenton-MMS and one for LECOM-Erie-MMS, which used to be a post-bacc (hence the "E" for Erie). :) Would be nice to have them in one sub-section. Thanks! :)

Oh yeah I completely understand what you’re saying! I went ahead and moved it :)

Also accepted into this program recently, I was wondering if we had the option to go to Bradenton instead of Erie for the MMS?

This program seems pretty straightforward, get good grades, don't get in trouble, and have the required test score before and you're solid.

I'm debating between this program and a few other programs.

Also accepted into this program recently, I was wondering if we had the option to go to Bradenton instead of Erie for the MMS?

This program seems pretty straightforward, get good grades, don't get in trouble, and have the required test score before and you're solid.

From reading through last years Post Bacc thread my general understanding is that for the Masters in Bradenton it is an entirely separate application, so my assumption would be it will be a separate application this year as well. But as always you can email Mr. Murphy for a direct answer, he is extremely responsive to any and all questions.

Congratulations on your acceptance!! Do you mind sharing your stats?

What other programs? And congrats!

Found out I was accepted on 1/22/19. Applied 12/11/18, just before the holidays.

Also, no. The Bradenton MMS program you have to apply separately. They have their own requirements, admissions and process. Hope that helps!

Also, no. The Bradenton MMS program you have to apply separately. They have their own requirements, admissions and process. Hope that helps!

Ah makes sense, after looking I think the Erie one is probably the better option anyway since it was the first and has better connections/rotations for med.

I'm also looking at WVSOM, VCOM, KCU, and a few other MD SMPs so I'll have to make a decision in the coming months.

From reading through last years Post Bacc thread my general understanding is that for the Masters in Bradenton it is an entirely separate application, so my assumption would be it will be a separate application this year as well. But as always you can email Mr. Murphy for a direct answer, he is extremely responsive to any and all questions.
They have recently switched the post bacc in Erie to be another MMS program.

Hey all! Congrats on your acceptances! I'm a current MMS student (dental track) so feel free to AMA.

A couple of things about the program:

-The program is ~10 months --> Summer (9 credits), Fall (14 credits) and Spring (15 credits) - all classes are taken in the dental building
- It's business/professional attire weekdays until 5pm (weekend is whatever)
- building is security access so you'll need a badge to get in and out and you'll get a parking permit (both free)
- It's a small school, 2 lecture halls, maybe 20 PBL rooms located in the library for private study. School is open 6-11, library is open 7-11.
- you will be introduced to the infamous PBL style learning in fall and spring
- You can study at the med school library next door if you need a change of scenery
- You're not allowed to drink water anywhere but the cafeteria (stupid rule, I drink water in the lecture hall all the time BUT don't do it in the library... you'll get in trouble).
- You'll love some professors (Dr. Hussein for physiology) and you'll realllllly dislike others but that can't be helped. Most of the professors want you to succeed though.
- Lakewood ranch is a really nice area and the apartments are nice too (but a little pricey).
- It's possible to commute (we have people who drive from Tampa, Wesley Chapel, Naples, etc) but it makes things a little harder
- all exams and quizzes are taken on your laptop via examsoft so be sure to have a solid laptop.
- Attendance is required and LECOM takes this pretty seriously. Not my favorite rule but it's important to go to lectures so you don't get behind.
- Cafeteria food is decent and cheap but it's cash only. They have an IOU system if you forget money one day though, which is nice. The med school cafeteria is better imo though. Most people bring their own lunches (there are microwaves available to heat up your food).
- The program is definitely challenging but if you really want to get into Med/Dental school then you'll put in the work and make it happen. It's definitely doable.
- they told us we need a 3.2 to get accepted into dental (idk how true that is - we just interviewed last week and are waiting to hear back. I can update then). They did not give Med students a GPA cutoff but implied that 3.4 was a successful GPA last year.

I'm sure there's a lot more I'm not thinking of so feel free to hmu with your questions and I'll try to answer the best I can!

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations on your acceptance!! Do you mind sharing your stats? Also, yes everything you stated is correct. In order to matriculate into the medical school you would need to haven taken the mcat by then (it would be required). Don't fail any classes- the lowest you can get is a C w/out "failing". However i'm not sure on how rigorous the coursework is anyway. Guess it depends on the person, right?
My stats are 3.8 gpa 3.6 science gpa. Had a terrible MCAT (didn’t know you didn’t get a calculator dumb me lol) but I used my AIS score which was a 118. I’m confused on if AIS is eligible considering you can use it to regularly get into the med school don’t see why it wouldn’t apply here as well through the linkage but getting mixed signals. I’m going to call Jamie tomorrow to verify.

My stats are 3.8 gpa 3.6 science gpa. Had a terrible MCAT (didn’t know you didn’t get a calculator dumb me lol) but I used my AIS score which was a 118. I’m confused on if AIS is eligible considering you can use it to regularly get into the med school don’t see why it wouldn’t apply here as well through the linkage but getting mixed signals. I’m going to call Jamie tomorrow to verify.

With your stats, I would just retake the MCAT and apply directly to M.D and OD schools. Your stats are great! Why are you doing this program? Just bc of the low MCAT score? You could retake in May and reapply - I am sure you will get in. At least from what I see ... :)

J
With your stats, I would just retake the MCAT and apply directly to M.D and OD schools. Your stats are great! Why are you doing this program? Just bc of the low MCAT score? You could retake in May and reapply - I am sure you will get in. At least from what I see ... :)
The MCAT is seemingly my worst enemy. I do very poorly on standardized exams. I’m taking an MCAT prep course and retaking it in March but if I don’t get a good score I’d like to use this as a fallback to know I can have a seat somewhere even if I go an extra 40-50k in debt lol.

Can you please send it to me too? Do you know if the tuition will increase like the Masters in Bradenton?

This is the file that was sent with email. Posting it on here so everyone can see it.

Attachments

• Student MMS Erie announcement.docx
    14.6 KB · Views: 368
Just to update everyone! I talked to Jamie and some additional info:

You can use an AIS score instead of MCAT for admission through linkage.

You will not have to do an additional ACCOMAS app for this year if you’re only interested in going to LECOM after the masters.

Laptop requirements are actually just recommendations.

Is there any way to view your admission decision online? Or we just wait until we receive the letter in the mail? I received an email this morning saying the admissions committee has made a decision but cannot find anything in my portal.

Is there any way to view your admission decision online? Or we just wait until we receive the letter in the mail? I received an email this morning saying the admissions committee has made a decision but cannot find anything in my portal.
No, you cannot review it online, you would have to wait until the letter comes in the mail. I believe it usually comes within a week or so. What were your stats/resume if you don't mind me asking?

Does this program offer an MCAT prep as well? Does anyone know what the minimum score is to matriculate into the DO program? I PMed you @KalisMedGirl

Does this program offer an MCAT prep as well? Does anyone know what the minimum score is to matriculate into the DO program? I PMed you @KalisMedGirl

From the official website, to matriculate you must, pass ALL classes within the program, maintain a 3.2 GPA or above, have acceptable MCAT or AIS scores, and finally complete an interview successfully.

They recently pushed it to 50th percentile now.
Oh wow! I know they used to say 50th percentile was competitive but you only needed a 497 to apply or something like that. It was only 40th percentile to apply this year, but maybe the change is for next year.

I'm still waiting on my formal letter in the mail. For anyone who was accepted did the letter outline next steps? Like orientation or what documents they may need from us?

I'm still waiting on my formal letter in the mail. For anyone who was accepted did the letter outline next steps? Like orientation or what documents they may need from us?

No, one has gotten the formal letter yet ... still waiting too. Good question though... you can email Jamie Murphy and ask him and let us know. :) He is very good at responding usually.

I had talked to him last week and they said things should have been finalized this week. Should be receiving letters next week or the week after likely but may be delayed from snow. The letter has next steps and how to make the $50 deposit, you have 30 days to accept and put your deposit.

Hello everyone,
So I am currently applying as well for the Masters program (dental track). Just wanted to ask, how long were people's personal statements? I don't want to do too much or too little.

Hello everyone,
So I am currently applying as well for the Masters program (dental track). Just wanted to ask, how long were people's personal statements? I don't want to do too much or too little.
Also, could I submit my application then put my personal statement in at a later time?

Hello everyone,

Roughly a single page single spaced I believe was the most common? I kept mine to roughly that based on opinions of others. The directions on that are ambiguous due to the mention of "scrolling" however that seems to change depending on screen size and browser adjustments.

Also in regards to the Q on the personal statement, it requests it in the first part of submitting to get the ball rolling. So you (unless told otherwise) need to do it once the application appears in your portal (after you submit the inquiry). After you submit it, you then get the folder items in.

Before I saw this thread mention the program being merged, I applied to both the post-bacc and the master's (and the master's in Bradenton). Fairly trivia in the greater picture, but if the programs are being merged, why are we still allowed to pay and submit an app for the post-bacc? I find that odd as it makes more juggling of submission of letters and other required materials, and one could essentially double apply as I did.

Last edited:
Roughly a single page single spaced I believe was the most common? I kept mine to roughly that based on opinions of others. The directions on that are ambiguous due to the mention of "scrolling" however that seems to change depending on screen size and browser adjustments.

Also in regards to the Q on the personal statement, it requests it in the first part of submitting to get the ball rolling. So you (unless told otherwise) need to do it once the application appears in your portal (after you submit the inquiry). After you submit it, you then get the folder items in.

Before I saw this thread mention the program being merged, I applied to both the post-bacc and the master's (and the master's in Bradenton). Fairly trivia in the greater picture, but if the programs are being merged, why are we still allowed to pay and submit an app for the post-bacc? I find that odd as it makes more juggling of submission of letters and other required materials, and one could essentially double apply as I did.
Ok so when I submit the application, just to be clear, there will be a folder with tabs like for personal statement, letters of rec etc?

Ok so when I submit the application, just to be clear, there will be a folder with tabs like for personal statement, letters of rec etc?

No, you need to enter your personal statement when it asks you in the application. You cannot send that in separately. I would stick to what the application is asking you instead of not following instructions.

As for the folder items, they are things like transcripts, DAT/MCAT score, LOR etc... personal statement is NOT part of the folder items - that HAS to be entered into the application as directed on the application BEFORE submitting.

Hope that helps!

Also, the folder items will not appear 24-48 hours AFTER you submit the full application.

I’m addition:

Transcripts, LOR and other folder items can be mailed in to the address that is provided on the portal OR you can email them electronically to Jamie Murphy and make sure he got them with a heads-up email or following up with him after you send it all in.

I send in most of my transcripts, LOR (through interfolio), and DAT score electronically to his email. That way you do not have to wait so long for them to get your transcripts etc.

Hope that helps prospective applications!

Hello everyone,

On the application it says to not make it longer than the space provided within that box. That is how long I would keep it and kept it myself.

Is there anyone who has done the program and is now a 1st year student in the DO program?

Reactions: 2 users