2019-2020 Sackler School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GrimLeaper

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Excited about this school and thought I would make a thread since there doesn't seem to be one yet.

Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted app day it opened. I never got a complete email or anything. Emailed and all they said back was we received your transcripts...Think I should call to confirm all is complete? Shana Tova everyone and good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
submitted 9/5, II 9/24, interview date 10/14! My friend applied a few days after me and received an II the same day as me and had her interview on 10/7! Super excited about the school!! Also they do not tell you that your application is complete. I emailed them and asked them and they responded that they had all of my materials and I got an II about an hour later. Good luck to everyone!!

Members don't see this ad :)
submitted 9/5, II 9/24, interview date 10/14! My friend applied a few days after me and received an II the same day as me and had her interview on 10/7! Super excited about the school!! Also they do not tell you that your application is complete. I emailed them and asked them and they responded that they had all of my materials and I got an II about an hour later. Good luck to everyone!!
Thanks for the info. Just emailed. Hopefully will get back to me after the holiday. Thanks again! Keep us posted on how the interview went!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello! I'm a first year student at Sackler. The program is fantastic. Please reach out if you have any questions.

Interview was good! The building does not say the name of the school on the outside so I wasn't sure if I was in the right place but once you go through the first set of doors theres a little sign that says Sackler. The interviewer was very friendly. I had read online that the interview was very conversational and casual, but definitely be prepared to answer the typical interview questions. They also mentioned that no decisions are made until January/February, so now we just wait! Still my dream school so hopefully it went well! Good luck to everyone!

Has anyone asked them about how the new match rules will affect IMGs?

Submitted the day applications opened, should I be worried that I have not heard back yet? I have emailed to make sure my application was complete and everything was received. Starting to worry

Current 4th year chiming in. At over 14 interviews for residency at great places. If anyone has questions regarding Sackler, the experience in Israel, etc. feel free to PM.

Submitted the day applications opened, should I be worried that I have not heard back yet? I have emailed to make sure my application was complete and everything was received. Starting to worry
same boat

Members don't see this ad :)
Sackler is weird but graduates from Sackler are not IMGs instead they are just like MD grads who attended a school in New York.

Unfortunately their tab to the New York letter seems to be down right now but I am almost positive they have special status.
I talked to my friend who recently graduated and they said that for the match, they are still considered IMGs...I'd look into that more before going.

Edit: Check out what @Drwhip wrote on last year's Sackler thread (page 2). They were/are a current student (I believe) and go into what it means to be considered an IMG.

Edit: Accredited U.S. Programs | LCME - this has all of the LCME accredited programs. You'll see that Sackler isn't listed because it's not one of them. Also, Sackler was chartered by NY...not accredited by the LCME. Just because it was chartered by NY doesn't mean that it's not considered an IMG. Just because historically, Sackler students have matched, does NOT mean that will be the case after the new rules go into effect.

With the rules to the match changing in 2020 it's probably going to become harder to match as an IMG.

I began the application process to Sackler last year, but once I learned more about the changes that are going to happen regarding the match, I decided to retake the MCAT and apply to US MD schools this year instead. Of course, what's right for me may not be what's right for you. If you have more specific questions about this, @Goro, @gonnif, or others involved in the admissions process/advising might be able to provide more insight (or let me know if I'm totally off base here).

Good luck!!

Last edited:
any of you got a complete email or any acknowledgment from them?

Just got an email from them saying they have everything, hopefully I didnt apply too late! It will be harder to match as an IMG, Sackler while considered NY joint is IMG, and it will get harder. I do have primary care as my field of interest as that is what I want to do so I dont think I will be effected as much as someone who wants to go here for a specialty. I will be looking into DO schools as well, the good thing is Sackler has a unique season for applications so lots of time to judge. Good luck to everyone who applies here btw.
how long did it take for them to email you saying they got everything? or you asked them and they replied to you? to the best of my knowledge, Sackler has pretty high gpa and mcat most compared to the majority of DO schools if iam correct

how long did it take for them to email you saying they got everything? or you asked them and they replied to you? to the best of my knowledge, Sackler has pretty high gpa and mcat most compared to the majority of DO schools if iam correct
Hey sorry for late reply, I called them! But I called them like 10 times. As for their GPA and MCAT, I am not 100% certain, they dont have Harvard medical school stats but they also dont have low tier DO school stats. Honestly you would need to ask around as I cant find anything. My friend who got in had below average medical student stats but she has family in Israel knows Hebrew and also like me wants to do family doctor as her #1 choice. Honestly, class size is not bigger than 65 people so you must really want to go here to get in I would believe. Dont take my words for granted, I am only saying what I think.

Our class of 2023 had an average GPA of 3.5-3.6 and average MCAT of 509-510. 56 students.

Our class of 2023 had an average GPA of 3.5-3.6 and average MCAT of 509-510. 56 students.
are the majority of you Jews or have ties to Israel? I just want to go there because i know tel aviv University is world-famous

are the majority of you Jews or have ties to Israel? I just want to go there because i know tel aviv University is world-famous
The majority are, but that is simply a function of the demographics of the applicant pool, rather than admissions requirements.

What is the application timeline for Sackler? Would I be late to just begin gathering & submitting now?

Still no word from Sackler-- Anyone hear rejections or holds or anything about interviews lately? Or has it been quiet

I submitted in the first week when applications opened up but never heard from them...did anyone who applied in early September not hear back or receive any II?

I submitted in the first week when applications opened up but never heard from them...did anyone who applied in early September not hear back or receive any II?
I submitted the week applications opened too. No word at all

what are your stats/other acceptances? just want to compare for reference

ok lmk what happens when you call or hear back

Thank you and please let us know what they say. I am in your same frame @aussie2016 with GPA/MCAT and super strong extracurricular activity. Hopefully this is more of an internal issue with the admissions rather than us getting screened out, because it seems many people are in the same boat by reading all these comments here. I wonder why only 1 person posted about getting a secondary and interview...
I emailed yesterday morning- Still no word.. Will keep you posted once I hear back

I got an interview here a week or two ago! I managed to get a spot in December but only had one option as the rest of the month was filled up. They're definitely sending out interview invites!

Thought I'd share to help anyone wondering - I completed my application end of September, received an II mid-October, and interviewed early November. I asked the doctor who interviewed me when the earliest acceptances are sent out and he said late-February to early March.

What is the average MCAT/GPA for Sackler? If I'm at LM score ~70 am I above or below average?

Re posting from last year:
7) People will not hold your hand.
I'd like to address this point...

Sackler is barely a real medical school. Resources are scarce since tuition $$ is siphoned to other programs. The administrators (all 2 of them) emphasize Hebrew classes (2 nights/ wk, 1.5 hours each) and role-playing designed to foster "empathy" and other soft skills above actual medicine. Policies are invented and changed at will. At the beginning of 3rd year they surprise you with a "release of liability" form to protect them from lawsuits. You must sign it if you want to continue your studies. Faculty and staff never took the American boards so they cant offer guidance. When students enter the hospital in 3rd year they discover their basic Hebrew is useless, which makes patient interaction difficult and chart review impossible. It hardly matters: While American students are managing patients, Sackler students sit through endless hours of powerpoint presentations at the hospital and might see only 1 or 2 patients / day as a group. This makes Step 2CS far more difficult, time-consuming, and stressful then it ought to be. 2 years ago almost a quarter of the class failed CS. By contrast American students have a 96% pass rate. Students dont learn the basic skills of note writing, patient management and presentation that they need to pass the exam or to compete with American students during their 4th year electives. Speaking of which, Sackler doesn't help with placement in electives and many American hospitals don't offer them to international students. So students spend hours-and-hours searching and applying for them while studying for Step 2 CS and CK, and shelf exams in surgery and Ob/ Gyn for which Sackler sets a minimum passing score above most US programs. Throughout it all students are mystified to find an administration that is condescending and antagonistic. Most students do end up matching in the end, but a few don't, and many (15-20% in recent years) need an extra year to do it.

Last edited:
For those of you who applied in September are there any of you that haven't heard back at all yet

Interviewed in October and still no response. I believe they said they will notify us on Feb!

57 matches in 2019 = 100% of students who applied for the US match. An additional 4 students decided to stay in Israel for residency.

Each class starts with 63.

2013 - 47 US/ Canada matches
2014 - 56
2015 - 45
2016 - 68
2017 - 59
2018 - 49*
2019 - 57*
2020 - ?March 20th?

86%
of matriculates have matched into US/ Canadian residency programs over the past 7 years.** Keep in mind that this is the total US match rate. The 4-year match rate is significantly lower than this. Up to 20% of students in recent years take an extra year for research, for further board exam prep, or for exam failure.

*Excludes students who matriculated with the classes of '18 and '19 and are expected to enter the match next year with the class of '20.
**Excludes the small number of students who forego the match each year to do residency in Israel.

Last edited:
66 students will enter the match as the class of 2020.

The original class of 2020 had 63 students. 2 students left the class in the 1st year. 1 failed exams and 1 more left for personal reasons. 2 more took an extra year after 2nd year to prepare for Step 1. 6 more left after 3rd year, 1 failed an exam, and 6 left to do research. In total, 52 of the original 63 members of the original class of 2020 remain eligible for this year's match.

17 students from the original classes of '18 and '19 joined class of '20. This is an unusually large number! The reasons for graduating late vary. Some took a research year. Others needed more time to prepare for exams. Several failed exams and returned the following year. Of these 16 students, 1 failed out entirely. 1 was suspended. 1 failed a rotation. The remaining 13 are eligible to match with the 53 from the original class of 2020.

I will post this year's match results and statistics at the end of March.

Last edited:
MuffinMedic said:
The school is at Tel Aviv University. They had an administrative office in NYC and an agreement with NYS Dept of Ed. to be considered in-state.
I hope to clear up the confusion on this issue. For everything that matters--including 4th year elective and residency applications--you will not be considered "in-state." Sackler students officially have International Medical Graduate ("IMG") status. This means we apply for electives and residency separately from US students. In 4th year we apply to the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) via the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG). As a result Sackler outcomes in obtaining residency spots track more closely with other US IMG programs (Caribbean/ MSIH/ Technion/ etc.), whose outcomes are generally better than non-US citizen, foreign applicants ("FMG"), but are not on par with US MDs.

To better understand what these differences mean I added links below that show how all three categories fared in the 2018 residency match. You can use them to compare the average Step 1 scores for successful applicants to a given specialty. For instance, about 95% of US graduates who scored 210 on Step 1 successfully matched into internal medicine programs last year. Compare that to 45% of US IMGs who matched with the same score and only 30% of FMGs who did as well (*see p 86). To get the same 95% chance of acceptance as a US MD with a 210, a US IMG needed to score 45 points higher, or 255 (**see p 114)--that's a huge difference!

*Match stats for US MDs (see p 86):
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-Seniors.pdf

**And for US IMGs and non-US citizens, aka "FMGs" (see p 114):
http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Charting-Outcomes-in-the-Match-2018-IMGs.pdf

Last edited:
Last edited: