2019-2020 Sam Houston State College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSC-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Am I tripping, or were we supposed to get a bag of goodies in the mail?
Nope. I’m not holding it against them though. Kind of tough to package and mail things in the middle of a quarantine.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone seen any waitlist movement recently? Really hoping it picks up a bit for those us that are on it!

Reactions: 1 users
I just got accepted off their waitlist! I'm happy but I already have a spot at another school that I paid the deposit for and found housing. I am a Texas resident and would love to stay in Texas especially since the school is only 3 hours away. Does anyone have any advice?

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got accepted off their waitlist! I'm happy but I already have a spot at another school that I paid the deposit for and found housing. I am a Texas resident and would love to stay in Texas especially since the school is only 3 hours away. Does anyone have any advice?
Advice for housing specifically? There isn’t a deposit at Sam Houston, so you still have a bit to decide if this is where you want to end up. I haven’t pulled the trigger on housing yet but only because I know there’s a bunch of it in the area, so I’m not really worried about location, cost, etc.. if housing is a concern, I’d reach out to their Student Affairs people. They’ve did a roommate meet and greet thing for those of us that were interested in partnering up. I’ve called and emailed people there a bunch of times and they were always super helpful and friendly. I’m sure they’d help you alleviate any concerns you may have.

Advice for housing specifically? There isn’t a deposit at Sam Houston, so you still have a bit to decide if this is where you want to end up. I haven’t pulled the trigger on housing yet but only because I know there’s a bunch of it in the area, so I’m not really worried about location, cost, etc.. if housing is a concern, I’d reach out to their Student Affairs people. They’ve did a roommate meet and greet thing for those of us that were interested in partnering up. I’ve called and emailed people there a bunch of times and they were always super helpful and friendly. I’m sure they’d help you alleviate any concerns you may have.

Thanks for the reply, but advice more along the lines of choosing a school. SHSU left a very good impression but I don't know if it's reasonable to attend a brand new school even if it's in my state over a well established (still not very good) school. I see potential in SHSU because it has large university backing and part of the TMDSAS system.

Congratulations on your acceptance!! I think the best plan of action is to analyze where you feel more comfortable. You already paid the deposit at the other school you mentioned and it seems like you are leaning towards them as you already looked at housing, etc. Just because the school is located in Texas does not guarantee that it is a fit for you, looking forward. You also need to consider that SHSU is heavily based on family medicine and other related specialities. What do you plan on pursuing? If your suspicions about the fact that it is a new school causes you discomfort, you know what decision to make. Choose a school that feels right, one that you feel comfortable attending for quite a bit of time. The decision is yours alone, follow your heart! I am sure you will become a successful physician in the near future :)

Reactions: 3 users
I also just got off of the waitlist and interviewed in November. I’m in the same position as you. Have been accepted to a few schools but I committed to a school very far. As a TX resident, I would love to stay here and I actually really liked SHSU and their mission. Not really sure what to do in this case but I think I will consider tuition, research, and clinical year partnerships. HELP

I also just got off of the waitlist and interviewed in November. I’m in the same position as you. Have been accepted to a few schools but I committed to a school very far. As a TX resident, I would love to stay here and I actually really liked SHSU and their mission. Not really sure what to do in this case but I think I will consider tuition, research, and clinical year partnerships. HELP
Don’t forget to look at the rotation sites and see if those locations/hospitals are aligned with what interest you. You will make meaningful professional connections there and guide your career for residency. Regardless of what you chose, congratulations on being accepted! You will become a doctor!!

I sent you a message if you want to talk there

Happy traffic day, friends. Good luck to everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accepted off the waitlist today! I interviewed in January. I have already been accepted to another school that is a better fit for me so I will be declining the offer. Hope it goes to one of y’all.

Reactions: 5 users
Withdrew my spot for another offer, best of luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got accepted off the waitlist, interviewed in November. I had already accepted a seat at WCUCOM but am now confused on where to go. As a Texas resident it would be nice to be close to home and I really enjoyed my interview and meeting the faculty, but I'm nervous since it is a new school and wcucom has been established. Can anyone who has been accepted offer any advice as to why they're choosing to attend or to not attend?

I just got accepted off the waitlist, interviewed in November. I had already accepted a seat at WCUCOM but am now confused on where to go. As a Texas resident it would be nice to be close to home and I really enjoyed my interview and meeting the faculty, but I'm nervous since it is a new school and wcucom has been established. Can anyone who has been accepted offer any advice as to why they're choosing to attend or to not attend?

I am a MS resident who has spent a lot of time in Hattiesburg. Take what I say lightly because this is my own personal opinion. I have had friends who attended WCUCOM and have heard mixed feedback from them. Is it a good school? yes. Do they have a ton of complaints? YES. Hattiesburg is a fun city to me but to most of my friends who attended they did not like it and they claim to not like the "vibe of the school". I don't know anything about SHS but I know staying in state would be a huge + for anybody most of the time and when it comes down to it to me all the schools are going to prepare you somewhat well enough with resources for you to become a successful doctor, you just have to make the most of it yourself. With that being my train of thought, I suggest comparing the schools just by where do you want to live and where do you feel like you will thrive the best to become the knowledgeable well-rounded doctor we all are aspiring to be.

Just accepted off the waitlist! But was recently accepted to another school, so will be declining. Good luck everyone !!!

Reactions: 4 users
Are you in state or out of state? Congratulations on the acceptance! Where are you going?

Awesome! Congratulations! Good luck! :)

Hey guys, question about this school, does this school adhere to the 90% in state 10% out of state Texas rule? If it dosen't, why not and do you think this policy is subject to change in the future? Sorry if these seem like dumb questions. I am not a Texas resident so I'm just asking for future reference in case I decide to apply.

Hey guys, question about this school, does this school adhere to the 90% in state 10% out of state Texas rule? If it dosen't, why not and do you think this policy is subject to change in the future? Sorry if these seem like dumb questions. I am not a Texas resident so I'm just asking for future reference in case I decide to apply.

SHSU is currently under the TMDSAS system. I think all schools under TMDSAS adhere to that regulation. The exception is Baylor, since it is a private school and not part of TMDSAS. All other Texas schools not listed under the TMDSAS system use AMCAS. Schools outside the TMDSAS system can make their own rules. Can anyone confirm? I'm pretty sure that's how it works. Not a dumb question at all. I wish every school was centralized in one application, that would make the process less confusing. APPLY!

SHSU is currently under the TMDSAS system. I think all schools under TMDSAS adhere to that regulation. The exception is Baylor, since it is a private school. All other Texas schools not listed under the TMDSAS system use AMCAS. Schools outside the TMDSAS system can make their own rules. Can anyone confirm? I'm pretty sure thats how it works. Not a dumb question at all. I wish every school was centralized in one application, that would make the process less confusing. APPLY!
Baylor, though private, has agreed to follow the 90/10 rules.
The Texas public schools which receive subsidies from the state of TX all follow it too.
SHSU applied (asked) to get them but the gov’t vote did not go their way. So SHSU will rely more on tuition to run.
This allows them to accept as many OOS as they choose, and makes the tuition higher for everyone.
The other TX schools like this are
UIWSOM and TCU/UNTHSC.

SHSU is currently under the TMDSAS system. I think all schools under TMDSAS adhere to that regulation. The exception is Baylor, since it is a private school and not part of TMDSAS. All other Texas schools not listed under the TMDSAS system use AMCAS. Schools outside the TMDSAS system can make their own rules. Can anyone confirm? I'm pretty sure that's how it works. Not a dumb question at all. I wish every school was centralized in one application, that would make the process less confusing. APPLY!

How different is the TMDSAS system from the AMCAS system? Do you think it would be worth it at all to apply as an out of state resident or would it really just be a waste of money?

The Texas public schools which receive subsidies from the state of TX all follow it too.
SHSU applied (asked) to get them but the gov’t vote did not go their way. So SHSU will rely more on tuition to run.
This allows them to accept as many OOS as they choose, and makes the tuition higher for everyone.
UIWSOM and TCU/UNTHSC.

Are these policies subject to change in the future? Or do the schools only get to appeal for government funding once?

• Love
UIWSOM and TCU/UNTHSC.
As a minor correction, SHSU did not ask for any state funds.

As a minor correction, SHSU did not ask for any state funds.
I think you are right. But they did ask and test the opinions in the state legislature, heard there were probably not the funds to subsidize anotehr med school, and decided to set up the school without it. Doing this requires higher tuition and probably private donations, but it allows the school more autonomy.

Last edited:
I think you are right. But they did ask and test the opinions in the state legislature, heard there were probably not the funds to subsidize anotehr med school, and decided to set up the school without it. Doing this requires higher tuition and probably private donations, but it allows the school more autonomy.
Thank you for this insight! Can schools only appeal for government funding once?

Curious how long they gave you to decide ?

Attachments

• 776E744A-0D7E-4A75-A888-48FDC6F51047.jpeg
    776E744A-0D7E-4A75-A888-48FDC6F51047.jpeg
    16.2 KB · Views: 96
Accepted off the WL today!

I haven't seen anything about a deposit for this school. Does anyone know if there is one?

Accepted off the WL today!

I haven't seen anything about a deposit for this school. Does anyone know if there is one?
Congratulations! If you don't mind my asking, are you in-state or out of state? And also what were your stats? :)
This is my number one school and I have been on the waitlist since February.

Congratulations! If you don't mind my asking, are you in-state or out of state? And also what were your stats? :)
This is my number one school and I have been on the waitlist since February.
I am IS and interviewed in October. LM of 65.

Good luck to you on the waitlist!

Disappointed all the scholarship funds were already given out prior to receiving acceptance. Was hoping that would cut into that huge $55k.

I was under the impression no scholarships were offered to SHSU students.

If anyone is looking for housing near the school message me!

I sent one as well this morning as soon as I was accepted. That sucks because I was super excited about being close to home.

If I get the same response as you, then I’ll be declining my seat. Good luck y’all!

Can confirm. The school stated that all scholarships were awarded in May ("All institutional scholarships have already been awarded to those that are eligible for them.") This is true as of one week ago... I doubt that fact will change since they are not receiving in-state funds. There may be scholarships out there, but the price will still be hefty.

Can anyone give any kind of information regarding the waitlist? I understand chances are looking pretty slim at this point, but any info would be beneficial!

Can anyone give any kind of information regarding the waitlist? I understand chances are looking pretty slim at this point, but any info would be beneficial!
I called the admissions office today to find out if the class was filled. They said waitlist movement is still possible but there hasn’t been any since May 15th.