2019-2020 Sam Houston State College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSC-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have an A at KCUMB, but am curious if this school is worth it if I live close to Houston?

I think both end up costing roughly the same in the end with maybe +/- 20k (it’s a lot but in the overall view it’ll be 250k altogether lol).

KCUMB is a solid school with a strong match list.

but Sam is close to home and I think it will be good long term, there will probably be a few rough starting pains but overall solid

I want to do General Surgery

I would take the KCUMB acceptance in a heartbeat. I don't think an established school is even comparable to a brand new school.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you guys are mixing up that rumor with UH medical that is opening up as well. UH had several large donations and are waiving the tuition for their first class but NOT Sam Houston.

Reactions: 2 users
I think you guys are mixing up that rumor with UH medical that is opening up as well. UH had several large donations and are waiving the tuition for their first class but NOT Sam Houston.
It is understandable that you would think that, but that is definitely not the case. This is still just a rumor and separate from the confirmed scholarship UH-COM has going on.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It is understandable that you would think that, but that is definitely not the case. This is still just a rumor and separate from the confirmed scholarship UH-COM has going on.

Hmm but regardless, Sam Houston staff said at the beginning of January that the first class will not get their tuition waived. Their Interview day financial aid session focused on outside federal and private loans/scholarships that students could apply to. Not sure where the rumor started but it’s unfounded unless there’s been an update very recently.

I'm having trouble coming up with a solid, thorough answer for "why our school?" for this school due to the limited amount of info available and no prior classes at this school. Can anyone who's interviewed here weigh in for some advice/tips?

I'm having trouble coming up with a solid, thorough answer for "why our school?" for this school due to the limited amount of info available and no prior classes at this school. Can anyone who's interviewed here weigh in for some advice/tips?
At my interview they didn't ask me directly why SHSU-COM, but they did ask how I would fit in with their mission. If you have any rural background or interest in working with rural/under served communities you should be able to nail this question. Good luck!

Anyone that applied/interviewed here have a particularly low ugpa? I’m a non trad with a low ugpa & decent MCAT that is currently doing a post bacc (4.0). I am considering applying here next cycle if they are non trad/reinvention friendly!!

Anyone that applied/interviewed here have a particularly low ugpa? I’m a non trad with a low ugpa & decent MCAT that is currently doing a post bacc (4.0). I am considering applying here next cycle if they are non trad/reinvention friendly!!

DM me:)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

for interview thank you notes, did y'all send 4 personalized emails to the admissions email address (one for each interviewer)? or just one note to go to all of the interviewers? thanks!

Anyone else feeling really anxious about tomorrow? This is the only TMDSAS school I interviewed at, and I got waitlisted by the other school I interviewed at. Stakes are feeling kinda high but I’m hoping for the best.

Dang it :(.

Well, congrats to everyone else who matched! I wish for nothing but the best for all of you

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 6 users
Didn’t match but hoping for some good news this week

Members don't see this ad :)
Just matched here!!! Very excited. If anyone has links for facebook groups and/or resources please let me know!

Reactions: 3 users
Any news for OOS applicants? I interviewed on 01/10 with no news yet.

Congrats to those IS applicants who matched today!

Didn't match here this morning. Pretty surprised after surviving that wave of rejections.

• Sad
Just matched here!!! Very excited. If anyone has links for facebook groups and/or resources please let me know!
I pre-matched, but haven't heard anything about FB groups or anything yet. I bet more will happen now that match has come :)

Didn’t match. :( does anyone know when waitlist emails will go out or waitlist movement will begin? Or even how likely it is for there to be waitlist movement?

• Sad
Didn’t match. :( does anyone know when waitlist emails will go out or waitlist movement will begin? Or even how likely it is for there to be waitlist movement?

Hard to say when waitlist movement will happen since it’s their 1st year and we don’t have previous year data about SHSU. Keep your head and hopes up!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone who interviewed after the Ranking Deadline heard anything? There was not much clarification on how we would hear about our status from them.

Matched here this morning. I've seen some rumors on here about tuition. Is there any basis on this or is this all just speculation?

Matched here this morning. I've seen some rumors on here about tuition. Is there any basis on this or is this all just speculation?
They are rumors. I have heard it from >1 people who could feasibly know something, but it's always been couched in very speculative/tentative language.

edit: to clarify, there is absolutely no reason to give credit to these rumors at this point imo.

For those who matched, is there anything else we need to do as of now? Or will the school reach out to us eventually?

For those who matched, is there anything else we need to do as of now? Or will the school reach out to us eventually?

Check your application portal! Offer of admission should've come through by now.

Any news for OOS applicants? I interviewed on 01/10 with no news yet.

Congrats to those IS applicants who matched today!

I also interviewed 1/10 and haven't heard any news yet.

Congrats to everyone that matched today! :)

Does anyone know when we need to submit our decision? couldn't find it on any of the info they sent us lol

Does anyone have any details on the curriculum? Are lectures mandatory? How are students evaluated? Is the grade scale p/f or letter grade?

Has anyone received information regarding when SHSU-COM will inform applicants if they have been placed on the alternate pool list?

Has anyone received information regarding when SHSU-COM will inform applicants if they have been placed on the alternate pool list?
Aren't they still interviewing? The WL will be formed some time after they're done with interviews.

Aren't they still interviewing? The WL will be formed some time after they're done with interviews.

Last interview date was 1/31

I asked and was told "There is not an established date of when decisions will be announced. We are hoping that this will happen by the end of this week..."

Does anyone have any details on the curriculum? Are lectures mandatory? How are students evaluated? Is the grade scale p/f or letter grade?

P/F, recorded lectures, and systems based curriculum if I recall correctly.

Proposed curriculum is posted on their website under the "prospective students" tab. From what I remember from my interview, lectures will be mandatory for the most part and the grading will be P/F honors

So do we pay for our own background check or should I wait to complete the form? When I go to the link emailed to us, it's asking for my credit card information.

So do we pay for our own background check or should I wait to complete the form? When I go to the link emailed to us, it's asking for my credit card information.
You pay for your own background check.

Offered a waitlist position as well. Interviewed 11/8. Curious to know how many applicants will be waitlisted

Waitlisted, interview on 1/31. Not sure how many are waitlisted.