2019-2020 Sam Houston State College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSC-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also waitlisted- interviewed 11/1

Members don't see this ad.

OOS applicant interviewed 1/24- waitlisted. Congratulations to everyone who got an acceptance and good luck to everyone on the waitlist!

For anyone not from the area, I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about good places to live etc.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone not from the area, I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have about good places to live etc.

I will definitely take you up on that offer. I am from the Austin area, so I need some suggestions on a good apartment complex or anywhere else.

Reactions: 1 user
I wonder, how many candidates are waitlisted for 75 seats? Do you think that they will have any movement? Does waitlisting have a ranking?
Any information is appreciated.
Thanks!

I wonder, how many candidates are waitlisted for 75 seats? Do you think that they will have any movement? Does waitlisting have a ranking?
Any information is appreciated.
Thanks!

I was waitlisted as well, and I’m assuming the WL is somewhat ranked since their email stated the list will not be shared with applicants. Of course I could be wrong on this, but considering the small class size, I would find it surprising if they didn’t rank the WL. Unsure of how many people are on it other than those who posted here. I’m OOS and do not personally know anyone else who interviewed. Also curious to know how many are on the WL and when/if movement will happen.

I was waitlisted as well, and I’m assuming the WL is somewhat ranked since their email stated the list will not be shared with applicants. Of course I could be wrong on this, but considering the small class size, I would find it surprising if they didn’t rank the WL. Unsure of how many people are on it other than those who posted here. I’m OOS and do not personally know anyone else who interviewed. Also curious to know how many are on the WL and when/if movement will happen.
Thanks.
Two of my friends got a rejection yesterday at the same time. I am not aware of any of their stats, one of them was interviewed in October and one with me 1/31.

Thanks.
Two of my friends got a rejection yesterday at the same time. I am not aware of any of their stats, one of them was interviewed in October and one with me 1/31.
Didn't know they were still rejecting. Thanks for the information!!

I have an A at KCUMB, but am curious if this school is worth it if I live close to Houston?

I think both end up costing roughly the same in the end with maybe +/- 20k (it’s a lot but in the overall view it’ll be 250k altogether lol).

KCUMB is a solid school with a strong match list.

but Sam is close to home and I think it will be good long term, there will probably be a few rough starting pains but overall solid

I want to do General Surgery
The program is centered more on primary care. Something to think about.

Members don't see this ad :)
There's Also a bunch of 30 min, 45min, and 1hr videos/courses we have to take that comes with the background checks. Also have to take a drug test.
How did you get this completed? Did the school send an email to get this done?

Hey everyone, just a heads up, the SHSU COM website has been updated again. They have the current list of clerkship locations up and more.

Reactions: 2 users
Question for those waitlisted, were you previously rejected and then they reached out for waitlist?

Question for those waitlisted, were you previously rejected and then they reached out for waitlist?
No. There was zero communication on updated status prior to the waitlist email after the interview

I am giving up my seat here. Good luck to all you waitlist-ers and matriculants!

Reactions: 5 users
Will be relinquishing my WL spot due to another DO acceptance. Best of luck to everyone!

Nvm, found my answer. Good luck everybody!

Just got accepted. We going up cuz!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Yeah I was.

Interviewed 1/31
Waitlisted 2/7

Yeah I was.

Interviewed 1/31
Waitlisted 2/7

Congratulations! Thanks for the update,
Would you mind sharing some details not specific just wanted to be hopeful?

Thanks.

Congratulations! Thanks for the update,
Would you mind sharing some details not specific just wanted to be hopeful?

Thanks.
IS
URM
Not a super high MCAT or GPA (below 508 and 3.5)
A ton of leadership and extracurriculars both in medicine and outside medicine

I knew my scores weren’t super competitive, but I figured if they invited me they didn’t matter anyway. So I just decided not to sell myself the interview. The interview was pretty chill, so I tried to show that I was pretty chill and a cool person as well.

• Love
IS
URM
Not a super high MCAT or GPA (below 508 and 3.5)
A ton of leadership and extracurriculars both in medicine and outside medicine

I knew my scores weren’t super competitive, but I figured if they invited me they didn’t matter anyway. So I just decided not to sell myself the interview. The interview was pretty chill, so I tried to show that I was pretty chill and a cool person as well.
Thank you so much! It's always holistic and you did it.

Do you guys expect a lot of waitlist movement? I heard theres more waitlist movement for DOs because people give up their seats for MD.

Do you guys expect a lot of waitlist movement? I heard theres more waitlist movement for DOs because people give up their seats for MD.

Anything is possible. Personally, I preferred a DO program due to past medical experiences and DOs that I know. Since this is a smaller class size I don’t know if there will be a lot of movement, but I have heard that TCOM and UIW have a bit of movement. Good luck to you!!

The second look invitations were sent out and it looks like ~75 are on the guest list.

Anything is possible. Personally, I preferred a DO program due to past medical experiences and DOs that I know. Since this is a smaller class size I don’t know if there will be a lot of movement, but I have heard that TCOM and UIW have a bit of movement. Good luck to you!!

The second look invitations were sent out and it looks like ~75 are on the guest list.

Would you mind clarifying what you mean by “second look” invitations. Thanks!

Last edited:

Is there any information on how the first look is going to go? It looks like it’s lasting from Thursday-Friday, so I’m assuming if we attend we’d be expected to get a hotel for the night?

Sooooo, what is the attire for first look? Casual, business casual, etc.?

Gave up my seat for the school. I hope someone else gets that spot. Good luck y’all!

Reactions: 7 users
There hasn't been any talk on here for a while. Just checking in! Has anyone had any contact from the school? I have been on the waitlist for quite some time and this is my number one school! I would love to hear about some sort of movement on the waitlist. I hope everyone is staying safe during these times!

There hasn't been any talk on here for a while. Just checking in! Has anyone had any contact from the school? I have been on the waitlist for quite some time and this is my number one school! I would love to hear about some sort of movement on the waitlist. I hope everyone is staying safe during these times!
In the same boat as you my friend!

Thanks for your caring message and wishing you the best with the waitlist movement :)!

Reactions: 1 users
Just received an email from the admissions office. All spots have been filled at SHSU-COM, but waitlist movement is possible.

I wonder why they didn’t send that to everyone on the waitlist.

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Okay, that makes sense! It makes me feel a little better too lol:laugh:. Did you just ask about available spots in the class?

Ordered my Dell today! This thing is getting real!

Am I tripping, or were we supposed to get a bag of goodies in the mail?