2019-2020 Sam Houston State College of Osteopathic Medicine (SHSC-COM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Good luck to everyone applying!

Secondary prompt questions are posted by wysdoc in the post below!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Here are the essay prompts for the secondary app. Wait to be emailed by the school after you submit your primary.
Note that the counts are CHARACTERS not words...

1) What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from (your hometown or where you graduated high school)? (800 characters)

2) Describe a moment when you failed to accomplish a task or let yourself down. How did this experience change you? (800 characters)

3) What do you consider your most important activity? (500 characters)

4) What do you consider the role of physicians in East Texas Communities? (800 characters)

5) Sam Houston State University's Motto is "The Measure of a Life is its Service." What does this mean to you and how do you embody this idea? (800 characters)

6) Please share any other relevant information that you would like the SHUS-COM Admissions Committee to know about you. (optional, 500 characters)

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted secondary already lol. I wonder if this schools first year class will receive some financial aid since the cost of IS is so much higher than other schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
is there any information on SHSU's curriculum and where students will be placed 3rd and 4th year?

Secondary received today! Will submit tomorrow

Hoping this school gives ALOT of financial aid to the first class. UH's first class's tuition is covered by an anon donor. Hoping the same for SHSU!

Submitted secondary already lol. I wonder if this schools first year class will receive some financial aid since the cost of IS is so much higher than other schools.
If it's not a for-profit school, they might be able to get federal loans for the inaugural class like ARCOM did.

I contacted the admissions office asking if incoming students would be able to apply for federal loans. Yes, you can!
Here is what they replied:
We are very excited to finally receive pre-accreditation. Students will be able to apply for Federal Student loans utilizing the FAFSA. The 2020-2021 FAFSA opens October 1st and our school code is 003606. I hope this helps!

If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at [email protected].

Texas resident and did not apply. I am not about to pay $55k for a new school.. Not here, or UIWSOM. These DO schools are getting greedy.

Texas resident and did not apply. I am not about to pay $55k for a new school.. Not here, or UIWSOM. These DO schools are getting greedy.
By Texas standards, yes, I agree. But anywhere else this is normal private medical school tuition. If you wanna know greedy, check CCOM's Tuition.

Does anyone know when they plan on starting interviews? Also, approximately how many students do you guys think they plan on interviewing?

Hoping to hear from this school - fingers crossed

Members don't see this ad :)
They should hopefully be starting interviews soon? Since its a TMDSAS school, all interviews must be concluded by February 1st?

They should hopefully be starting interviews soon? Since its a TMDSAS school, all interviews must be concluded by February 1st?

I imagine there will be some flexibility in that respect, due to the program gaining accreditation and accepting applicants just a couple weeks ago. Same thing for UH’s school, assuming they receive accreditation late this year/early next year.

Hi y’all
I asked an administrator at TMDSAS today what the deadline for completing an application at this school would be.
He said it is October 1, just like all the other TMDSAS schools.
So if you have been holding off on applying, you need to decide quickly and turn in your primary before
October 1!
Supporting documents (transcripts, letters) are due October 15, and the secondary essays by November 15.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi y’all
I asked an administrator at TMDSAS today what the deadline for completing an application at this school would be.
He said it is October 1, just like all the other TMDSAS schools.
So if you have been holding off on applying, you need to decide quickly and turn in your primary before
October 1!
Supporting documents (transcripts, letters) are due October 15, and the secondary essays by November 15.

I imagine the application pool is pretty small with this short deadline?

I imagine there will be some flexibility in that respect, due to the program gaining accreditation and accepting applicants just a couple weeks ago. Same thing for UH’s school, assuming they receive accreditation late this year/early next year.
+1 to this. If I recall correctly, UNTHSC-TCU's interviews ran well into the spring semester for their entering class last cycle. I would personally be surprised if SHSU-COM began interviewing before finishing their Phase 1 construction, which they estimate will be done in December.

+1 to this. If I recall correctly, UNTHSC-TCU's interviews ran well into the spring semester for their entering class last cycle. I would personally be surprised if SHSU-COM began interviewing before finishing their Phase 1 construction, which they estimate will be done in December.
That’s true about TCU/UNTHSC, but they didn’t take their first applications until November, and they are not in the TMDSAS match system.
SHSU got rolling earlier. They would have to compress their interview season to get done by January 2020.
Those of you who are applying, share details as you learn them!

Just received an II today. I submitted my secondary the first day they were released (9/12 I think?), so I’d assume I’m in the first batch. They were actually offering dates in October all the way through December, so I actually have no idea where the interviews will take place...I mean, you can’t really host interviewees at a construction site, right? Lol

Reactions: 2 users
Just received an II today. I submitted my secondary the first day they were released (9/12 I think?), so I’d assume I’m in the first batch. They were actually offering dates in October all the way through December, so I actually have no idea where the interviews will take place...I mean, you can’t really host interviewees at a construction site, right? Lol
mind sharing stats?

On the website it says interviews will be in the Woodlands!

Congrats LL

Last edited:
I just got an II a couple of minutes ago. LM 67, secondary was submitted 9/9.

Reactions: 1 users
Got a II as well. My first of the cycle. A little relieved that there apparently isn’t a major red flag in my app.

Reactions: 2 users
II today by email! secondary received Sept 12. IS. URM. Mcat 506. sGPA 3.02 cgpa 3.2 after masters program. All interview dates were still open starting October 11

II today by email! secondary received Sept 12. IS. URM. Mcat 506. sGPA 3.02 cgpa 3.2 after masters program. All interview dates were still open starting October 11
can I PM you about stats? I am kinda in a similar gpa situation after my post bacc.

II today at 1pm, submitted the first day they were open. LM 67 WARS 91. ATX resident

Intriguing

II today at 10 am, submitted 9/15 LM 69 OOS.
Does SHSU com accept 90% in state applicants (like the other Tmdsas schools)?

II today at 10 am, submitted 9/15 LM 69 OOS.
Does SHSU com accept 90% in state applicants (like the other Tmdsas schools)?

I would presume so, but could be wrong, given that they don’t receive a subsidy from the state, hence the higher tuition compared to other public Texas schools.

@wysdoc any input on this?

Last edited:
For those who received an II, did you answer the question "Please share any other relevant information that you would like the SHUS-COM Admissions Committee to know about you?"

I am stuck on what to write. Some guidance is appreciated.

For those who received an II, did you answer the question "Please share any other relevant information that you would like the SHUS-COM Admissions Committee to know about you?"

You can share why you’re interested in their school.

Have they said anything about interview format?
Two traditional 30min interviews is listed on the website (albeit the site is atrocious).

Yes just got my interview today, and I did fill that question out :)

How are you guys preparing for the interview? Since it is a new school and no feedbacks from previous experiences? Can people who interview early post their experience or DM? it is my first II and I am kinda nervous!
Thank you,

How are you guys preparing for the interview? Since it is a new school and no feedbacks from previous experiences? Can people who interview early post their experience or DM? it is my first II and I am kinda nervous!
Thank you,

Just be prepared to explain why you want to be a physician and more about yourself as an individual. Read over what little info there is about the school. You can do some research about their vision and mission, but they're not going to expect you to be experts on their school given the fact they're brand new. Read up on typical interview questions and prepare what your answers might be to them.

Reactions: 4 users
II today! LM 69, IS resident, ORM. Secondary received on 09/13. Looks like available dates were October 11 through December, did not check past that. Good luck everyone!

II today! LM 69, IS resident, ORM. Secondary received on 09/13. Looks like available dates were October 11 through December, did not check past that. Good luck everyone!

Congrats! When were you complete?