***2019-2020 URM Medical School Application Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OchemOficionado

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is almost that time of the year again! As requested, here's the thread for the upcoming cycle.

Please feel free to share your cGPA, sGPA, MCAT, Major, if you're non-trad, your ECs, etc. and ask and answer questions!

Dates:
AMCAS Opens - May 1
Application Submission - May 30
Completed Applications Transmitted to Medical Schools - June 28

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
I wanted to make this thread next month lol

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Black URM
sGPA: 3.5 cGPA:3.5
MCAT: 510
Biology major

If anyone had theses stats and applied to top 20s please PM.

Reactions: 7 users
It is almost that time of the year again! As requested, here's the thread for the upcoming cycle.

Please feel free to share your cGPA, sGPA, MCAT, Major, if you're non-trad, your ECs, etc. and ask and answer questions!

Dates:
AMCAS Opens - May 1
Application Submission - May 30
Completed Applications Transmitted to Medical Schools - June 28

MVP MVP MVP:clap: Thank You!

Sending good vibes to the URM crew applying this upcoming 2020 cycle. May we all continue the success of past URM applicants. WE GOT THIS!

Black Female, 22
GPA (cGPA/sGPA): 3.89/3.86 (Big10)
Major: Microbiology
CC GPA: 3.90
MCAT: Testing in May (So help me God, been a struggle preparing for it thus far smh)
Nontraditional: Yes (cc transfer, liberal arts background, transferred a semester late, etc...)
Research: None aside from liberal arts/humanities-based research and school-based micro bio projects
Healthcare Experience: Volunteer health advocate at charity medical clinic targeting inner-city underserved populations, geriatric healthcare intern/volunteer, doctor shadowing
Clinical Hours/Non-clinical Hours: ~1000s and counting/~1200s
Aspirations in Medicine: I'm open but really interested in primary care (underserved/rural/minority communities)
Med School Qualities: Mostly patient-oriented since I lack science research, URM-friendly, DACA-friendly, and hopefully places that offer great scholarships (prefer schools I'm best suited for over prestige/ivy league)
Interesting Facts: afro-indigenous, writer, music enthusiast

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
cGPA: 3.89
sGPA: 3.87
Mcat: 512
URM: AA female
Clinical Experience
Volunteer: 50 hrs at rural clinic; 60 hrs at HIV clinic
Paid: 550 hrs as PCT for Emergency Room
Shadowing
Pediatrics: 20 hr
Neurology: 20 hr
Internal Medicine: 20 hrs
Non-Clinical Volunteering
250 hours - homeless women's shelter
75 hours - tax preparer for low income families
60 hours - mentoring disadvantaged children going through emotional and familial stress
Research
600 hours - Clinical HIV lab
(1 thesis, 1 first author publication in review, 2 mid author publications, and 2 first author posters)
150 hours - Clinical Osteoarthritis Lab
Leadership
200 hrs - President of Community Service Club (started health education outreach program for underprivileged girls and their mothers during my time as president)
Non-Clinical Work
1200 hrs - Student assistant for Biobanking lab
Other ECs
60 hours - Mental health peer educator
Hobbies: Drawing and Martial arts (I don’t have an awards or done anything extraordinary with these. Just things I do in my free time)
Aspirations in Medicine
I want to work with underserved/underrepresented in medicine and pursue some clinical research on improving minority health. I am looking for schools that provide both research and clinical experience in the community.

Schools I am interested in:
UAB, USA, Morehouse, Meharry, Emory, and UChicago(super reach)

I need recommendations for schools to apply to with my stats.

Edit: I had a drop in GPA due to senior year.

Last edited:
cGPA: 3.94
sGPA: 3.93
Mcat: 512
URM: AA female
Clinical Experience
Volunteer: 50 hrs at rural clinic; 60 hrs at HIV clinic
Paid: 550 hrs as PCT for Emergency Room
Shadowing
Pediatrics: 20 hr
Neurology: 20 hr
Internal Medicine: 20 hrs
250 hours - homeless women's shelter
75 hours - tax preparer for low income families
60 hours - mentoring disadvantaged children going through emotional and familial stress
Research
600 hours - Clinical HIV lab
(1 thesis, 1 first author publication in review, 2 mid author publications, and 2 first author posters)
150 hours - Clinical Osteoarthritis Lab
Leadership
200 hrs - President of Community Service Club (started health education outreach program for underprivileged girls and their mothers during my time as president)
Non-Clinical Work
1200 hrs - Student assistant for Biobanking lab
Other ECs
60 hours - Mental health peer educator
Hobbies: Drawing and Martial arts (I don’t have an awards or done anything extraordinary with these. Just things I do in my free time)
Aspirations in Medicine
I want to work with underserved/underrepresented in medicine and pursue some clinical research on improving minority health. I am looking for schools that provide both research and clinical experience in the community.

Schools I am interested in:
UAB, USA, Morehouse, Meharry, Emory, and UChicago(super reach)

I need recommendations for schools to apply to with my stats.
You can apply to pretty much anywhere! :) The Top 5 may be a little tough but if any of them interest you then throw an app there. I wouldn't be surprised if you got some hefty scholarship offers, as long as you interview well. Best of Luck!

Hey y'all!! I'm super impressed with everyone who has already posted, it's making me embarrassed to post my own stats lol.

cGPA: 2.76
sGPA: 2.76
- my cumulative is a result of a full year of poor grades back in 2012-2013. I've earned a 4.00 in the last ~60 credits I've taken and >3.5 for everything else in between
SMP GPA: 4.00 (will graduate at the top of my class if everything goes well for the rest of the semester)
MCAT: 506, EDIT: Retook on 6/15 and scored a 513!!
URM: black female - immigrant
Clinical Experience/Paid: Emergency room scribe for two years (>2500 hours)
Clinical Experience/Volunteer: Triage volunteer at free health clinic for underserved population (>60 hours)
Non-Clinical Volunteer: Habitat for Humanity in NOLA (48 hours), various service projects (~40 hours)
Shadowing: 12 hours with a plastic surgeon, currently racking up more hours at the hospital affiliated with my SMP, so I hope to have over 50 by the time I apply
Research: one year of basic science research - no publications, but three first-author poster presentations. Won 3rd place for poster at NSF conference.
Leadership: Team captain of my D1 athletic team for 1 year, voted Treasurer of my school's chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
Other: Will be a peer educator (basically a TA) for medical students in gross anatomy and physiology this summer and next semester at a top 50, MD-granting university. Was also a student athlete for four years at the D1 level and placed 10th nationally with my teammates in my final year.

I am so happy to finally be applying again (I applied once before in the 2016-2017 cycle). I've done so much work to improve upon my application and hopefully it pays off! Good luck guys!

Last edited:
Black URM
sGPA: 3.5 cGPA:3.5
Biology major

If anyone had theses stats and applied to top 20s please PM.

Applying with similar stats brotha. Hope this cycle works in our favor!

Reactions: 1 users
URM: Mexican Male, CA, Disadvantaged/FAP
cGPA: 3.6
BCPM: 3.55

Clinical Experience
120hrs Hospital Volunteering
50hrs FM Scribing
2000+ hrs Working as a behavior interventionist w/ Autism spectrum disorders. Transitioning to a program manager role
20 Hospice Volunteering (should have 40hrs by the time I submit my app)

Shadowing
10 hrs GI
20 hrs FM
80hrs Ortho

Non-clinical Experience
87hrs Food Bank Volunteering
63 hrs Volunteering in a warehouse that donates medical supplies
200hrs tutoring CC gen chem and intro Bio
200hrs tutoring k-8th grade math/english
Worked in fast food/drug stores during CC (>1000hrs)

Research
1.5 years (650hrs) plant bio research. No pub or posters, strong LOR.

Other
Have a strong upward trend. Started undergrad at CC and got a 3.2-3.3, had trouble managing work and school. Transferred to a top10 public university and earned a 3.9 in from then on.

Leadership
Presented a PPT presentation at quarterly lab meetings
Currently receive high reviews from my clients at my current job and am transitioning to a managerial role

Need help choosing which schools are realistic for me to apply to. Was thinking of applying to all CA Schools, 10-12 OOS Top 20’s, and 10 mid/low tiers. But after seeing the new MSAR, I am having second thoughts lol

Reactions: 5 users

Clinical Experience
50hrs FM Scribing
2000+ hrs Working as a behavior interventionist w/ Autism spectrum disorders. Transitioning to a program manager role

Shadowing
10 hrs GI
20 hrs FM
80hrs Ortho

Non-clinical Experience

Research

Other
Have a strong upward trend. Started undergrad at CC and got a 3.2-3.3, had trouble managing work and school. Transferred to a top10 public university and earned a 3.9 in from then on.

Leadership
Currently receive high reviews from my clients at my current job and am transitioning to a managerial role

Need help choosing which schools are realistic for me to apply to. Was thinking of applying to all CA Schools, 10-12 OOS Top 20’s, and 10 mid/low tiers. But after seeing the new MSAR, I am having second thoughts lol

@Faha to the rescue please:)

Clinical Experience
50hrs FM Scribing

Shadowing
10 hrs GI
20 hrs FM
80hrs Ortho

Non-clinical Experience

Research

Other

Leadership

I suggest these schools:
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UCLA
UCSD
USC
Kaiser
California University
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Mayo Arizona
Boston University
Tufts
Quinnipiac
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
Georgetown
Miami
Tulane
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm confused by this statement. Is Drew's 512 a HARD cutoff or...?

We don’t know that Drew has any cut off.

What I was saying was if a URM wants to apply to Geffen on the hope that they may be the exception to the cut of 512 that it isn’t a very expensive mistake for some people. Just about $40 since they screen before sending secondaries.

Reactions: 4 users
We don’t know that Drew has any cut off.

What I was saying was if a URM wants to apply to Geffen on the hope that they may be the exception to the cut of 512 that it isn’t a very expensive mistake for some people. Just about $40 since they screen before sending secondaries.
Thank you for this insight. I have been having the same dilemma.

If you have the funds and time, then I see no reason not to. You have a very strong MCAT and research experience which will be beneficial in applying to top tier schools. My only concern is your lack of clinical experience. Are you currently working to increase these before your expected matriculation?

Last edited:
Excited to finally be applying and to be embarking on this (long) journey with you all! About me:

Black woman (immigrated here with my family when I was young), graduated 2018, applying from abroad
Applying all MD-PhD
GPA: 3.89
MCAT: 523
ECs: Assorted leadership, community service, health disparities work, and many many hours of cancer research.
Hobbies: I love reading, playing basketball, and watching way too much tv. On that note, if anyone has book recommendations (fiction or nonfiction), please send them my way and I'll add them to my ever-growing list of books to read :)

I ideally want to end up at a school with a strong cancer program and history of working with underserved populations, where I could do cancer research through a health disparities lens. If you know of any schools that might be particularly strong in this arena, please let me know!

Finally, does anyone know how flexible schools are on MCAT expirations? My MCAT is valid at all schools currently on my list except for UChicago (I took it January 2017, their last accepted date is August 2017) but I am very interested in their MSTP program.

Reactions: 4 users
Email UChicago directly and see what they say. Otherwise, strong app! U should recieve several interviews, so be conscious of the interview travel. The interview days are longer for MSTP, so I would say try to condense them so u won't be travelling back and forth between countries.

Edit: As for books, I recommend anything by Ta-Nehisi Paul Coates. Brilliant writer.

Excited to finally be applying and to be embarking on this (long) journey with you all! About me:

Black woman (immigrated here with my family when I was young), graduated 2018, applying from abroad
Applying all MD-PhD
GPA: 3.89
MCAT: 523
ECs: Assorted leadership, community service, health disparities work, and many many hours of cancer research.
Hobbies: I love reading, playing basketball, and watching way too much tv. On that note, if anyone has book recommendations (fiction or nonfiction), please send them my way and I'll add them to my ever-growing list of books to read :)

I ideally want to end up at a school with a strong cancer program and history of working with underserved populations, where I could do cancer research through a health disparities lens. If you know of any schools that might be particularly strong in this arena, please let me know!

Finally, does anyone know how flexible schools are on MCAT expirations? My MCAT is valid at all schools currently on my list except for UChicago (I took it January 2017, their last accepted date is August 2017) but I am very interested in their MSTP program.

Reactions: 1 user
Doing everything I can to finish 40-50 hours shadowing this month. As for clinical volunteering, I doubt I'll break 100 hours by the time I submit the primary, but it is something I'll continue to work on during the cycle
Keep in mind you are also allowed to submit projected hours if you have an activity that you are beginning before submitting your primary

Email UChicago directly and see what they say. Otherwise, strong app! U should recieve several interviews, so be conscious of the interview travel. The interview days are longer for MSTP, so I would say try to condense them so u won't be travelling back and forth between countries.

Edit: As for books, I recommend anything by Ta-Nehisi Paul Coates. Brilliant writer.

Sounds good, thanks for the advice! Also, yes to Ta-Nehisi Coates, I have definitely been neglecting his work. I've had The Beautiful Struggle on my shelf for a little while, I'll move it up in my book queue :)

Major: Neuroscience (w/ classics minor)
State of Residence: WA
cGPA: 3.70 (massive upward trend ~3.3 GPA for 2 years-- one of which was junior college-- to a 3.9+ for the last 3 years)
sGPA: 3.70
Mcat: 521 (132,127,131,131)
URM: AA male, low SES (fap applicant)
Clinical Experience
Volunteer: 300 hrs (over 15 months) at local hospitals
Shadowing
Anesthesiology: 10 hrs
Family Med: 35 hrs (both rural and urban)
Cardiology: 15 hrs
(intend to do more primary care shadowing in the next few weeks, also intend to do some neurology shadowing)
60 hours - Mentor for underclassmen pre-meds and pre-majors
40 hours - Tutor for elementary students in underserved area
10 hours (just started) - Mentoring disadvantaged children from the same refugee community I'm from, plan to (within the next few months) also help with housing needs under the same program
Research
1000+ hours (over 2 years) - Flight Dynamics Biology Lab
(1 conference abstract, 1 presentation and 2 posters)
Non-Clinical Work
600 hrs - Pharmacy assistant
1000+ hours working fast food during junior college
Hobbies: Video games, Sneakers, classics, making music

School list (in no particular order):

University of Washington (top choice)
Washington State University
Mayo (strong family tie to MN)
UCLA (both schools)
Howard
UChicago
Case Western
UCincinnati
Ohio State
UColorado
Duke
Harvard
NYU
UPenn
UMinesota
Emory

Really want some advice or recommendations on my list! I can apply to 16 schools for free under FAP, but am willing to add more if need be.

cGPA: 3.70 (massive upward trend ~3.3 GPA for 2 years-- one of which was junior college-- to a 3.9+ for the last 3 years)
Clinical Experience
Shadowing
(intend to do more primary care shadowing in the next few weeks, also intend to do some neurology shadowing)
10 hours (just started) - Mentoring disadvantaged children from the same refugee community I'm from, plan to (within the next few months) also help with housing needs under the same program
Research
Non-Clinical Work

UCLA (both schools)
Howard
UChicago
Case Western
UCincinnati
Ohio State
UColorado
Duke
Harvard
NYU
UPenn
UMinesota
Emory

Really want some advice or recommendations on my list! I can apply to 16 schools for free under FAP, but am willing to add more if need be.
Few notes:
  • I would focus on increasing your non-clinical volunteering during your application year. The position you have now is great, I would try to maximize time there.
  • Personally, I think your shadowing is already good, and adding more hours wouldn’t be very beneficial.
  • Definitely add include music making under your hobbies – it should help you seem relatable/unique.
  • UCLA is 2 schools, so your list is actually at 17.
As for your school list, Emory looks a bit more favorable towards service, which currently isn’t very strong on your application. Consider switching for Northwestern (secondary waivers are often waived here). Overall, I think you would have very good chances applying to 16 schools, but also see what others have to say.

Last edited:
Demographics: Mexican-American male, TX, immigrant. Maybe non-trad? I'm two years out of school and decided on medicine over straight basic science research late 2017
cGPA: 3.46
sGPA: 3.33
MCAT: 521 (131, 127, 132, 131)
Clinical Volunteering: ~50 hours ED, ~50 hours tutoring and librarian in children's hospital
Shadowing: 6 hours gastroenterology, trying to get 40 hours primary care this month!!
Research: ~4000 hours immunology research focused on IBD, 3 pubs (full time job since graduation)
Non-clinical Volunteering: ~60 hours community projects and outreach, ~40 hours promoting sustainable practices at school
Extracurriculars: Cellist ~14 years, 1 year chamber orchestra in college, 1.5 years sustainability org (was officer for 1 semester)
Employment: ~300 hours Walmart summer before college, ~600 hours (10 hours/week) radiation intern over sophomore and junior year, ~500 hours (20 hours/week) courier in state capitol also during sophomore year
Leadership: Mentored high school student and international college senior student in lab + officer position previously mentioned
Other: was a designer on an online game from middle school into my sophomore year of college, kind of an upward trend
Schools, no order:

Yale
Duke
Harvard
UChicago (fee waived)
WashU in St. Louis
Columbia
UPenn
UCSF
Stanford
Hopkins
Baylor
NYU
Northwestern (fee waived)
UCSD
UCLA (unsure whether to apply)
UT Southwestern
McGovern
Long
Medical Branch
Dell
A&M
Texas Tech
Texas Tech El Paso
Rio Grande
UNT (DO)

I'm mostly banking on getting into a Texas school but I figured I didn't have too much to lose applying to top programs outside the state...should I not? Really excited to get this cycle started with you guys :)
Just wow dude - You're my competition. I am so screwed. Best of luck to you. Wish I was on your level. Praying for texas school too! UTSW <3

Chance me! :)
URM: African American Female
Numbers:
3.83cgpa/ 3.74sgpa, 517 mcat
Research:
  • 960 hrs of clinical research that i started this past January and counted hrs until when I plan on applying which is June 20 ( one of my rec writers can’t have letter ready till then)
Leadership:
  • one year pre-med club executive board,
  • another year as secretary of a big extracurricular group and
  • also a year and a half of student government
Non-Clinical Volunteering:
  • Service project that I initiated that deals with girls' education: 500hrs+
  • Summer healthcare administration internship at a med school 300hrs
  • Ongoing healthcare administration volunteer position ( 3 yrs of this work is done online and the other 2 in high school...because I did high school in a different country I had to move to the US for college.)
  • Volunteered at a church for two yrs (online) 120hrs
  • ACT tutor for a year
  • Pre-med mentor for a year
Work
  • worked all throughout undergrad ( 10-15 hrs a week)
Shadowing:
  • 150hrs of shadowing done all in a diff country
  • Might add 10-30 hrs before applying.
Clinical volunteering:
  • 180 hrs of hospice
You guys will notice that some of my activities are linked to a different country ( not disclosing for privacy reasons). I grew up in this country and it has really contributed to my desire to pursue med. Also for those wondering, I'm not an international student.. I'm a permanent resident.

Feeling conflicted on what to do for my application year. I can work full time in this cool pharma job or do Americorps. I am so conflicted.

Feeling conflicted on what to do for my application year. I can work full time in this cool pharma job or do Americorps. I am so conflicted.
I’ve heard some pretty mixed reviews about Americorps – overworked and under-appreciated. I think a decent paying job that you enjoy would be the best option, personally.

Do what you like! I’m getting my phlebotomy certificate because I want direct patient interaction and it’s useful knowledge. I’ll also be volunteering both clinically and non-clinically on the side.

Numbers:
Research:
  • 960 hrs of clinical research that i started this past January and counted hrs until when I plan on applying which is June 20 ( one of my rec writers can’t have letter ready till then)
Leadership:
  • Ongoing healthcare administration volunteer position ( 3 yrs of this work is done online and the other 2 in high school...because I did high school in a different country I had to move to the US for college.)
  • ACT tutor for a year
Work
Shadowing:
Clinical volunteering:
  • 180 hrs of hospice
You guys will notice that some of my activities are linked to a different country ( not disclosing for privacy reasons). I grew up in this country and it has really contributed to my desire to pursue med. Also for those wondering, I'm not an international student.. I'm a permanent resident.
Anyone?

Take my advice with a grain of salt since I'm applying this upcoming cycle, but I think your app looks really good for top schools! I would just make sure you get shadowing hours with U.S. physicians, as I don't think non-U.S. shadowing will fulfill that requirement

Numbers:
Research:
Leadership:
  • ACT tutor for a year
Work
Shadowing:
Clinical volunteering:
  • 180 hrs of hospice

@Goro @Faha and @gyngyn please:)

Last edited:
Numbers:
Research:
Leadership:
  • ACT tutor for a year
Work
Shadowing:
Clinical volunteering:
  • 180 hrs of hospice
Start list with WashU and radiate outwards.

Few notes:
  • I would focus on increasing your non-clinical volunteering during your application year. The position you have now is great, I would try to maximize time there.
  • Personally, I think your shadowing is already good, and adding more hours wouldn’t be very beneficial.
  • Definitely add include music making under your hobbies – it should help you seem relatable/unique.
  • UCLA is 2 schools, so your list is actually at 17.
As for your school list, Emory looks a bit more favorable towards service, which currently isn’t very strong on your application. Consider switching for Northwestern (secondary waivers are often waived here). Overall, I think you would have very good chances applying to 16 schools, but also see what others have to say.

Thanks for the tips, I’ll be sure to edit my school list! Is there anything (other than the fee wave) that made you particular to Northwestern?

Clinical Experience
Shadowing
Research
Non-Clinical Work

UCLA (both schools)
Howard
UChicago
Case Western
UCincinnati
Ohio State
UColorado
Duke
Harvard
NYU
UPenn
UMinesota
Emory

Any further suggestions? @Goro @Faha @gyngyn

I was in a similar situation before this application cycle where I had to choose between a "meaningful" volunteer job and a full-time analyst position for a company. Even though I went for the money by working as an analyst, I don't regret my decision or even feel the slightest bit of guilt because for one I've got bills and loans to pay back. Secondly, it gave me some great talking points during interviews. Not sure if it necessarily gave me an edge but they seemed very receptive about my experiences. Lastly and most importantly, I still feel like I make an impact on the community as a whole as opposed to the individual micro level as a volunteer. The nature of my job is to ensure that patients and physicians don't fall through the cracks in this cess pool that is our current state of affairs in health care administration.

Overall, my advice is not to worry about how med schools will perceive your experiences at this point in the application cycle so just do what you want. As the wise Goro once told me, med schools look more closely at what you've done not so much at what you're going to do. If you want to work for pharma and contribute to getting a new drug to market that could save lives then I'm sure med schools won't knock you for going that route instead of living in destitute squalor in a dumpster all the while giving alms to the poor in a convent and publishing a paper in Nature.

Let's see your list!

UCLA (Drew and Geffen)
Howard
UChicago
Case Western
UCincinnati
Ohio State
UColorado
Duke
Harvard
NYU
UPenn
UMinesota
Emory Northwestern

FAP lets me apply to 16 of these (currently 17) for free, but willing to add more if need be.

UCLA (Drew and Geffen)
Howard
UChicago
Case Western
UCincinnati
Ohio State
UColorado
Duke
Harvard
NYU
UPenn
UMinesota
Emory Northwestern

FAP lets me apply to 16 of these (currently 17) for free, but willing to add more if need be.
I think its 20 schools now

UCLA (Drew and Geffen)
Howard
UChicago
Case Western
UCincinnati
Ohio State
UColorado
Duke
Harvard
NYU
UPenn
UMinesota
Emory Northwestern

Swap out UCSF and WashU OR Stanford OR Yale OR Columbia OR Cornell OR JHU for U MN and U CO. Consider Keck, U MI, BU, Dartmouth, U VA and Mt Sinai

Question for previous applicants: lots of schools have an optional race/identity/SES essay in their secondaries. Should this be written like a story (like the PS) or very straightforward?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Im picking the Americorps position. Im applying for a clinical research internship as well.

Reactions: 2 users
Question for previous applicants: lots of schools have an optional race/identity/SES essay in their secondaries. Should this be written like a story (like the PS) or very straightforward?
Mine were all straightforward and never involved a story. I basically wrote these essays in chronological order: family, experiences in school, current experiences (I took gap years).

Also, you will hear a lot of mixed opinion for prompts was along the lines of “is there anything else you want to tell us?” Personally, I included my diversity (race/identity/SES) essay in these prompt if it wasn’t included elsewhere.

Mine were all straightforward and never involved a story. I basically wrote these essays in chronological order: family, experiences in school, current experiences (I took gap years).

Also, you will hear a lot of mixed opinion for prompts was along the lines of “is there anything else you want to tell us?” Personally, I included my diversity (race/identity/SES) essay in these prompt if it wasn’t included elsewhere.
Thank you! Follow-up question: for the diversity essays where diversity is more broadly defined, did you use the same essay or include other things, like unique experiences, hobbies, interests, etc.?

How many schools are you guys applying to? Right now it looks like 30 to 35.

How many schools are you guys applying to? Right now it looks like 30 to 35.

Right now I have 42 on my list, but I’ll be cutting it down to 35 max once I make some calls to admissions offices.