2019 California pharmacy graduate still unemployed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

khong2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So I was part of that whole CPJE cheating scandal, but luckily I passed the retake in November and got my license early December. However, it's now been two months and other than a couple of interviews, I'm still without a job. Other than those who were fortunate to secure grad intern positions, anybody else in the same position as me? I'm starting to get a little worried. Appreciate any input

Members don't see this ad.

Have you applied in less desirable areas? People always say there's openings inland.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey everyone,

So I was part of that whole CPJE cheating scandal, but luckily I passed the retake in November and got my license early December. However, it's now been two months and other than a couple of interviews, I'm still without a job. Other than those who were fortunate to secure grad intern positions, anybody else in the same position as me? I'm starting to get a little worried. Appreciate any input
Where have you applied so far?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Start getting licensed in other states because the next wave of 15,000 new grads will be hitting the market in 1-3 months and they've started their job searches too.

Reactions: 3 users
That's awesome. Do you get a referral bonus or anything?

No. I get sanity because I'm tired of making money. I'm good with taking fewer shifts and more time off. I have basically zero debt, so I just work to pay off my monthly needs.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone,

You're definitely not alone! I'm in the same boat that you're in and also feeling worried with each passing day. I've been applying to most job posts that I see and I've been reaching out to classmates and alumni to see if they know of any positions opening up. Would appreciate any advice on what else I should be doing.

Wow. You are just starting to get a little worried?
You have great parents, dude. I envy you.

You're definitely not alone! I'm in the same boat that you're in and also feeling worried with each passing day. I've been applying to most job posts that I see and I've been reaching out to classmates and alumni to see if they know of any positions opening up. Would appreciate any advice on what else I should be doing.

What area are you looking in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Start getting licensed in other states because the next wave of 15,000 new grads will be hitting the market in 1-3 months and they've started their job searches too.
That is a scary number... 15,000 new pharmacists coming into the market?! are there that many that are retiring, switching profession, dying per year? cause... there aren't that many "new" jobs being created... job number for pharmacists are declining faster than Harvey Weinstein's health...

That is a scary number... 15,000 new pharmacists coming into the market?! are there that many that are retiring, switching profession, dying per year? cause... there aren't that many "new" jobs being created... job number for pharmacists are declining faster than Harvey Weinstein's health...

I pulled the numbers from BLS last year, and it's around 10-13k pharmacists per year who leave the job market.

Hey everyone,

I moved from CA to TX before getting my license but I was also in a very similar boat until this month. I eventually received an offer for a full time staff position at a smaller city 6+ hours away from home which I accepted. Be willing to apply to smaller cities, less desirable areas, etc. because like what others have said, you'll soon be competing with 2020 new grads and it'll only get harder. The job market is already very saturated, we can't afford to be picky especially when we're just starting our careers. Good luck!

This is the reason I honestly don't understand why everyone shot down my suggestion (for myself) of enrolling in a master's program in a field with much better prospects, such as software engineering/computer science. Even in this thread, people are posting that it's taking them 6+ months (sometimes closer to a year) to find a job, even in BFE. As long as someone is okay with taking on a little more debt, isn't there obvious logic in getting a head start on pursuing something else and potentially being halfway done with the second degree by the time they actually find a pharmacist job (assuming this actually happens)?

This is the reason I honestly don't understand why everyone shot down my suggestion (for myself) of enrolling in a master's program in a field with much better prospects, such as software engineering/computer science. Even in this thread, people are posting that it's taking them 6+ months (sometimes closer to a year) to find a job, even in BFE. As long as someone is okay with taking on a little more debt, isn't there obvious logic in getting a head start on pursuing something else and potentially being halfway done with the second degree by the time they actually find a pharmacist job (assuming this actually happens)?
NP is so much better even with somewhat of saturated market. NPs don't have the over saturation problems and there is so much more you can do with a nursing degree. Once you're a retail pharmacist, you're a retail pharmacist you die. Westside 'til I die.

Same here in midwest. No jobs whatsoever. 2019 grad here.
where in the midwest? I was just offered a job (I turned down) a couple of weeks ago - I see jobs (not a lot) but posted on a major hospital systems's webiste - and they ahve been up there for at least 4 months

where in the midwest? I was just offered a job (I turned down) a couple of weeks ago - I see jobs (not a lot) but posted on a major hospital systems's webiste - and they ahve been up there for at least 4 months

Missouri. I had handful of interview but wasn't able to secure any job unfortunately. I do see some hospital jobs but seems like they either want someone with residency or 2-5 years of hospital experience. Fortunately tho I am volunteering as temp staff pharmacist at local independent pharmacy (I know I know its such a shame.. ) so I got something to write on my resume.

I do understand my lack of experience is major disadvantage but am I missing something....?

I usually search on indeed.com and start from there.. is there any other website i can look at for job posting? I see only like 1 or 2 new posting per 2 days and I am sure that they get a LOT of applicants for that ONE position.

If you go to indeed/career builder and other popular job search websites, they have same position posted indefinitely for last 7~8 years. Those are not real jobs. I don`t know the details but they just have those up for whatever reasons they have.

If you go to indeed/career builder and other popular job search websites, they have same position posted indefinitely for last 7~8 years. Those are not real jobs. I don`t know the details but they just have those up for whatever reasons they have.

It's posted for legal issues to make it look like everyone has a fair chance. Hundreds of applicants pile up and no one looks at them. They always hire someone through nepotism.

It's posted for legal issues to make it look like everyone has a fair chance. Hundreds of applicants pile up and no one looks at them. They always hire someone through nepotism.

Make sense, well I guess I just have to keep applying sigh. Better than doing nothing.

some jobs, yes - but most are not I don't think. In the examples I am talking about I know they haven't found people qualified for what they want (It is a hospital system that I used to work for and was recently offered a job with).

But your point about nepotism is valid - even in my case even thou I haven't worked there is 10+ years. It goes to show how much networking and making a good impression when you are a student/intern. Welcome to what a lot of life is about - it is not about what you know, but who you know. Sucks, but it is true. As a hiring manager I would always take the known over the unknown if I had a positive view of a potential hire

Reactions: 2 users
Walmart announced plans to hire 150,000 employees to meet demand due to the coronavirus freakout

I guarantee you 0 pharmacists are included in their demand projections

Reactions: 1 users
Walmart announced plans to hire 150,000 employees to meet demand due to the coronavirus freakout

They'll have to replace the ones who die or quit as a result of this. It hasn't happened yet, but it probably will. They also might find themselves having to get a deeper floater pool. Their current strategy of having few floaters who are allowed to reject shifts will probably result in pharmacies that won't stay open. They were close to that anyway in some places.

They'll have to replace the ones who die or quit as a result of this. It hasn't happened yet, but it probably will. They also might find themselves having to get a deeper floater pool. Their current strategy of having few floaters who are allowed to reject shifts will probably result in pharmacies that won't stay open. They were close to that anyway in some places.
It's all part of the master plan to get rid of senior pharmacists and pharmacists making too much money to make room for desperate new grads who will work harder for any pay.

We are now living in a "wartime economy," and this is equivalent to being the first wave of troops called on to charge a fortified position. How many soldiers from that first wave will survive? Very few, if any at all.

Hey everyone,

CVS/Walgreens and Rite aid are dying for applicants now! fix your resume and follow up on your application by calling the store manager and request the email for the DM to email and follow-up. they offer new grads in CA floating or staff starts at $70 Fresno/south/NorthCAor maybe $66 if you are applying in a saturated area like the bay area.