You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Pharmacy unemployment
Started by iamapharmacist
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
For this poll to be interesting and meaningful, it should have been a lot more granular than 'job/no job'. Something like 'no job', 'per diem/PRN - no set hours', 'part time (less hours than I wanted)', 'part-time (as many hours as I wanted)', 'full time - exactly what I wanted' and 'full time - not quite what I wanted'.
Maybe in a good job market but in this climate, I would assume any job is a meaningful and interesting job. haha.For this poll to be interesting and meaningful, it should have been a lot more granular than 'job/no job'. Something like 'no job', 'per diem/PRN - no set hours', 'part time (less hours than I wanted)', 'part-time (as many hours as I wanted)', 'full time - exactly what I wanted' and 'full time - not quite what I wanted'.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No. I’ve made $180 at my PRN gig in the past 6 months or so.Maybe in a good job market but in this climate, I would assume any job is a meaningful and interesting job. haha.
Like, your income for the last 6 months has been $180?!No. I’ve made $180 at my PRN gig in the past 6 months or so.
With nation wide COVID vaccine role out, I’d image it’s hard not to be employed these days
No. I’ve made $180 at my PRN gig in the past 6 months or so.
Is that like one shift?
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is exactly the level of... ahem... naivete it takes to be a 2020 pharmacy school graduate.Maybe in a good job market but in this climate, I would assume any job is a meaningful and interesting job. haha.
And this is exactly the reason why our profession is in the dumpster, ladies and gentlemen. Assuming you know everything about everything until you realize you don't know anything. (In Perry Cox's cocky voice)And this, ladies and gentlemen, is exactly the level of... ahem... naivete it takes to be a 2020 pharmacy school graduate.
No. I have another job. I’m just saying that being employed PRN can mean next to nothing.Like, your income for the last 6 months has been $180?!
It’s a consulting-type gig. I think that was one written response and one approval of someone else’s.Is that like one shift?
at the very least you should have
employed
unemployed
underemployed (which varies but if you are working less than you want- you qualify - if you work part time and only want part time - you are employed)
employed
unemployed
underemployed (which varies but if you are working less than you want- you qualify - if you work part time and only want part time - you are employed)
So the question is are you still unemployed, yes or no. That takes care of employed and unemployed. I didn't include anything else because I wanted to see how many are not able to find any job at all.at the very least you should have
employed
unemployed
underemployed (which varies but if you are working less than you want- you qualify - if you work part time and only want part time - you are employed)
To elaborate, I'm thinking if you have a prn or part time job, that means that at least you got your foot through the door which can lead to other opportunities more easily than having no job at all. The unemployment gap can be a b!*ch.
Not necessarily. The only thing it helps is the unemployment gap, at least someone felt you were good enough for something. Nowadays PRN jobs almost never translate into a full-time position with the same organization. They aren't even classified in the same vein. Part-time - it depends. Sometimes this partial employment actually works against you in the eyes of employers. And just personally it can be hard to manage part-time commitments and full-time job search, and money can be really insignificant... so no, the only thing lumping PRN in with full-time jobs is good for is for pharmacy schools employment stats they use to convince naive prepharmers that pharmacy job market isn't that bad.I'm thinking if you have a prn or part time job, that means that at least you got your foot through the door
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey! We're standing right hereAside from the fact that successful people generally will not post on SDN, you could also ask people where they went to school and run a Cramer's V on the contingency table
At least wait until we leave the room
😢
watchfulwaiting1957
Bible Scholar
I'm unsure if it is wise to give the Pharm. deans more ammo. I can see it now, "COVID WILL SAVE THE PHARMACY PROFESSION" "THOUSANDS OF NEW PHARMACY JOBS SIGN UP FOR YOUR 6 YEAR DEGREE NOW" The mechanics of supply and demand are still at play. Covid19 did not change the fundamentals. There is not enough pharmD jobs for everyone. Get your beak wet now if you can.With nation wide COVID vaccine role out, I’d image it’s hard not to be employed these days
Anyone who thinks our job market has or will improved due to covid related demands needs to have their degrees taken away. These "new" jobs are not real jobs that will last any longer than 6 months at most. Sure, it's better than nothing but is that why you sign up to be a pharmacist? These deans or whoever is in charge of opening up new schools and push for these false narrative need to be locked up.I'm unsure if it is wise to give the Pharm. deans more ammo. I can see it now, "COVID WILL SAVE THE PHARMACY PROFESSION" "THOUSANDS OF NEW PHARMACY JOBS SIGN UP FOR YOUR 6 YEAR DEGREE NOW" The mechanics of supply and demand are still at play. Covid19 did not change the fundamentals. There is not enough pharmD jobs for everyone. Get your beak wet now if you can.
Everybody wants to know how the government will pay for student loan forgiveness without putting the taxpayers on the hook. This is an easy question. You take the schools with high student loan default rates and seize their assets to cover the cost. The endowments at some of these schools are like corporations which in reality is what they really are. They sold a bad asset at taxpayer expense and that is the only way I see the taxpayer getting some reimbursement.Anyone who thinks our job market has or will improved due to covid related demands needs to have their degrees taken away. These "new" jobs are not real jobs that will last any longer than 6 months at most. Sure, it's better than nothing but is that why you sign up to be a pharmacist? These deans or whoever is in charge of opening up new schools and push for these false narrative need to be locked up.
Already made a post on reddit, but please apply for any openings in Central California. We have 44 open shifts in March and we don't have enough pharmacists to staff any store.
i thought you worked for kaiserAlready made a post on reddit, but please apply for any openings in Central California. We have 44 open shifts in March and we don't have enough pharmacists to staff any store.
here is the problem "MOST STATES ALLOW TECHS TO VACCINATE NOW".... thanks BOP....the one thing i thought would bring us some security is robbed from us.....all my techs in FLorida are signing up to immunize. Awesome.....I'm unsure if it is wise to give the Pharm. deans more ammo. I can see it now, "COVID WILL SAVE THE PHARMACY PROFESSION" "THOUSANDS OF NEW PHARMACY JOBS SIGN UP FOR YOUR 6 YEAR DEGREE NOW" The mechanics of supply and demand are still at play. Covid19 did not change the fundamentals. There is not enough pharmD jobs for everyone. Get your beak wet now if you can.
Its again all about money and power right? Whos going to benefit if techs vaccinate? The owners of pharmacies. The amount of lobbying and kickbacks wouldve been exponential. Im telling you, as pharmacists, we have to fight back.here is the problem "MOST STATES ALLOW TECHS TO VACCINATE NOW".... thanks BOP....the one thing i thought would bring us some security is robbed from us.....all my techs in FLorida are signing up to immunize. Awesome.....
Schools are competing for students with luxury BS b/c for them its guaranteed money...no matter what happens to the student after finishing. For F-sake...UCF built a lazy river. Student loan forgiveness is stupid and would infuriate a lot of people...you know the ones who pay taxes and never went to college or took out a student loan. Lower the interest rate on student loans. Also...there is no reason that a degree in pharmacy should be a doctorate. Yet another way for schools to milk graduate tuition vs. undergrad tuition.Everybody wants to know how the government will pay for student loan forgiveness without putting the taxpayers on the hook. This is an easy question. You take the schools with high student loan default rates and seize their assets to cover the cost. The endowments at some of these schools are like corporations which in reality is what they really are. They sold a bad asset at taxpayer expense and that is the only way I see the taxpayer getting some reimbursement.
Last edited:
A lazy river in school campus? Lol why? Can you get to class by just riding the stream? LolSchools are competing for students with luxury BS b/c for them its guaranteed money...no matter what happens to the student after finishing. For F-sake...UCF built a lazy river. Student loan forgiveness is stupid and would infuriate a lot of people...you know the ones who pay taxes and never went to college or took out a student loan. Lower the interest rate on student loans.
The PharmD is the most bogus bogosity...a pie in the sky academic honk job..In an ideal world it might be a good idea and prevent a lot of screw ups but inserting another step between the prescriber and the patient was never gonna scale up in the real world of insurance companies and egos and money...and in any case the old style Rph was already doing some of that..now here we are with suckers lining up to train for that essentially non-existent job....Schools are competing for students with luxury BS b/c for them its guaranteed money...no matter what happens to the student after finishing. For F-sake...UCF built a lazy river. Student loan forgiveness is stupid and would infuriate a lot of people...you know the ones who pay taxes and never went to college or took out a student loan. Lower the interest rate on student loans. Also...there is no reason that a degree in pharmacy should be a doctorate. Yet another way for schools to milk graduate tuition vs. undergrad tuition.
I worked hard for my degree and knowledge. No one can take that away from me. BUT insurance companies and big box pharmacies have devalued my degree so much that i regret everyday for going to pharmacy school.I am not asking for anyone to call me doctor but you guys are diminishing the degree you earned, the services you are providing, but still expect the general public to respect you?
I worked hard for my degree and knowledge. No one can take that away from me. BUT insurance companies and big box pharmacies have devalued my degree so much that i regret everyday for going to pharmacy school.
I share the sentiment. My comment was to point out that we shouldn't cross into the area of self deprecation and devaluing time and effort put into our profession.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know it's a small sample but based on this poll, 9/20 new grads from 2020 can't find a job?! This is a problem. Yall new grads need to hire a lawyer and sue your schools and your state board. I'm sure there are plenty of lawyers out there with itchy trigger fingers. Your loan deferment is first 6 months of graduation right?
DinaraI
New Member
Couldn't pass by this job posting from usajobs for a pharmacist position. Pay special attention to the time frame it is open. It's open only 1 (one) day.
They must be getting hundreds of application for each position. They figured let's can make it available for 24 hours. Should help to reduce paperwork.
Seriously, the situation with job market is sad and scary. Normally, I see job posting on usajobs that are available for weeks and months.
They must be getting hundreds of application for each position. They figured let's can make it available for 24 hours. Should help to reduce paperwork.
Seriously, the situation with job market is sad and scary. Normally, I see job posting on usajobs that are available for weeks and months.
Attachments
Honestly, I can get 80k a year working as coalmine foreman and its a easy job just driving around in a pickup making sure nobody is doing anything stupid. Instead, I listened to everybody say pharmacy was a career that always pays. Yeah, I know your thinking coal mining is dangerous and it is below ground but I'm talking above ground.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 11
- Views
- 5K