Pharmacy unemployment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Are you still unemployed after graduating in 2020?

• Total voters

iamapharmacist

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
I've been getting so many messages on social media about pharmacy jobs from new grads. I wanted to start a poll to see how many of new grads are still looking.

Members don't see this ad.

For this poll to be interesting and meaningful, it should have been a lot more granular than 'job/no job'. Something like 'no job', 'per diem/PRN - no set hours', 'part time (less hours than I wanted)', 'part-time (as many hours as I wanted)', 'full time - exactly what I wanted' and 'full time - not quite what I wanted'.

Reactions: 3 users
For this poll to be interesting and meaningful, it should have been a lot more granular than 'job/no job'. Something like 'no job', 'per diem/PRN - no set hours', 'part time (less hours than I wanted)', 'part-time (as many hours as I wanted)', 'full time - exactly what I wanted' and 'full time - not quite what I wanted'.
Maybe in a good job market but in this climate, I would assume any job is a meaningful and interesting job. haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe in a good job market but in this climate, I would assume any job is a meaningful and interesting job. haha.
No. I’ve made $180 at my PRN gig in the past 6 months or so.

With nation wide COVID vaccine role out, I’d image it’s hard not to be employed these days

Aside from the fact that successful people generally will not post on SDN, you could also ask people where they went to school and run a Cramer's V on the contingency table

Reactions: 1 user
And this, ladies and gentlemen, is exactly the level of... ahem... naivete it takes to be a 2020 pharmacy school graduate.
And this is exactly the reason why our profession is in the dumpster, ladies and gentlemen. Assuming you know everything about everything until you realize you don't know anything. (In Perry Cox's cocky voice)

Is that like one shift?
It’s a consulting-type gig. I think that was one written response and one approval of someone else’s.

• Sad
at the very least you should have
employed
unemployed
underemployed (which varies but if you are working less than you want- you qualify - if you work part time and only want part time - you are employed)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
at the very least you should have
employed
unemployed
underemployed (which varies but if you are working less than you want- you qualify - if you work part time and only want part time - you are employed)
So the question is are you still unemployed, yes or no. That takes care of employed and unemployed. I didn't include anything else because I wanted to see how many are not able to find any job at all.

To elaborate, I'm thinking if you have a prn or part time job, that means that at least you got your foot through the door which can lead to other opportunities more easily than having no job at all. The unemployment gap can be a b!*ch.

I'm thinking if you have a prn or part time job, that means that at least you got your foot through the door
Not necessarily. The only thing it helps is the unemployment gap, at least someone felt you were good enough for something. Nowadays PRN jobs almost never translate into a full-time position with the same organization. They aren't even classified in the same vein. Part-time - it depends. Sometimes this partial employment actually works against you in the eyes of employers. And just personally it can be hard to manage part-time commitments and full-time job search, and money can be really insignificant... so no, the only thing lumping PRN in with full-time jobs is good for is for pharmacy schools employment stats they use to convince naive prepharmers that pharmacy job market isn't that bad.

With nation wide COVID vaccine role out, I’d image it’s hard not to be employed these days
I'm unsure if it is wise to give the Pharm. deans more ammo. I can see it now, "COVID WILL SAVE THE PHARMACY PROFESSION" "THOUSANDS OF NEW PHARMACY JOBS SIGN UP FOR YOUR 6 YEAR DEGREE NOW" The mechanics of supply and demand are still at play. Covid19 did not change the fundamentals. There is not enough pharmD jobs for everyone. Get your beak wet now if you can.

I'm unsure if it is wise to give the Pharm. deans more ammo. I can see it now, "COVID WILL SAVE THE PHARMACY PROFESSION" "THOUSANDS OF NEW PHARMACY JOBS SIGN UP FOR YOUR 6 YEAR DEGREE NOW" The mechanics of supply and demand are still at play. Covid19 did not change the fundamentals. There is not enough pharmD jobs for everyone. Get your beak wet now if you can.
Anyone who thinks our job market has or will improved due to covid related demands needs to have their degrees taken away. These "new" jobs are not real jobs that will last any longer than 6 months at most. Sure, it's better than nothing but is that why you sign up to be a pharmacist? These deans or whoever is in charge of opening up new schools and push for these false narrative need to be locked up.

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone who thinks our job market has or will improved due to covid related demands needs to have their degrees taken away. These "new" jobs are not real jobs that will last any longer than 6 months at most. Sure, it's better than nothing but is that why you sign up to be a pharmacist? These deans or whoever is in charge of opening up new schools and push for these false narrative need to be locked up.
Everybody wants to know how the government will pay for student loan forgiveness without putting the taxpayers on the hook. This is an easy question. You take the schools with high student loan default rates and seize their assets to cover the cost. The endowments at some of these schools are like corporations which in reality is what they really are. They sold a bad asset at taxpayer expense and that is the only way I see the taxpayer getting some reimbursement.

• Care
Already made a post on reddit, but please apply for any openings in Central California. We have 44 open shifts in March and we don't have enough pharmacists to staff any store.

• Care
Already made a post on reddit, but please apply for any openings in Central California. We have 44 open shifts in March and we don't have enough pharmacists to staff any store.
i thought you worked for kaiser

here is the problem "MOST STATES ALLOW TECHS TO VACCINATE NOW".... thanks BOP....the one thing i thought would bring us some security is robbed from us.....all my techs in FLorida are signing up to immunize. Awesome.....

here is the problem "MOST STATES ALLOW TECHS TO VACCINATE NOW".... thanks BOP....the one thing i thought would bring us some security is robbed from us.....all my techs in FLorida are signing up to immunize. Awesome.....
Its again all about money and power right? Whos going to benefit if techs vaccinate? The owners of pharmacies. The amount of lobbying and kickbacks wouldve been exponential. Im telling you, as pharmacists, we have to fight back.

Everybody wants to know how the government will pay for student loan forgiveness without putting the taxpayers on the hook. This is an easy question. You take the schools with high student loan default rates and seize their assets to cover the cost. The endowments at some of these schools are like corporations which in reality is what they really are. They sold a bad asset at taxpayer expense and that is the only way I see the taxpayer getting some reimbursement.
Schools are competing for students with luxury BS b/c for them its guaranteed money...no matter what happens to the student after finishing. For F-sake...UCF built a lazy river. Student loan forgiveness is stupid and would infuriate a lot of people...you know the ones who pay taxes and never went to college or took out a student loan. Lower the interest rate on student loans. Also...there is no reason that a degree in pharmacy should be a doctorate. Yet another way for schools to milk graduate tuition vs. undergrad tuition.

Last edited:
Schools are competing for students with luxury BS b/c for them its guaranteed money...no matter what happens to the student after finishing. For F-sake...UCF built a lazy river. Student loan forgiveness is stupid and would infuriate a lot of people...you know the ones who pay taxes and never went to college or took out a student loan. Lower the interest rate on student loans.
A lazy river in school campus? Lol why? Can you get to class by just riding the stream? Lol

Schools are competing for students with luxury BS b/c for them its guaranteed money...no matter what happens to the student after finishing. For F-sake...UCF built a lazy river. Student loan forgiveness is stupid and would infuriate a lot of people...you know the ones who pay taxes and never went to college or took out a student loan. Lower the interest rate on student loans. Also...there is no reason that a degree in pharmacy should be a doctorate. Yet another way for schools to milk graduate tuition vs. undergrad tuition.
The PharmD is the most bogus bogosity...a pie in the sky academic honk job..In an ideal world it might be a good idea and prevent a lot of screw ups but inserting another step between the prescriber and the patient was never gonna scale up in the real world of insurance companies and egos and money...and in any case the old style Rph was already doing some of that..now here we are with suckers lining up to train for that essentially non-existent job....

I am not asking for anyone to call me doctor but you guys are diminishing the degree you earned, the services you are providing, but still expect the general public to respect you?

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
I am not asking for anyone to call me doctor but you guys are diminishing the degree you earned, the services you are providing, but still expect the general public to respect you?
I worked hard for my degree and knowledge. No one can take that away from me. BUT insurance companies and big box pharmacies have devalued my degree so much that i regret everyday for going to pharmacy school.

Seems old so probably already filled

$30,000 sign on bonus!!!!!!11111111

Port Townsend (pop 9551) is on the Olympic Peninsula about 2 hrs from Seattle by road.

Attachments

• lul.png.png
    lul.png.png
    283 KB · Views: 75
I worked hard for my degree and knowledge. No one can take that away from me. BUT insurance companies and big box pharmacies have devalued my degree so much that i regret everyday for going to pharmacy school.

I share the sentiment. My comment was to point out that we shouldn't cross into the area of self deprecation and devaluing time and effort put into our profession.

Reactions: 1 users
I know it's a small sample but based on this poll, 9/20 new grads from 2020 can't find a job?! This is a problem. Yall new grads need to hire a lawyer and sue your schools and your state board. I'm sure there are plenty of lawyers out there with itchy trigger fingers. Your loan deferment is first 6 months of graduation right?

Couldn't pass by this job posting from usajobs for a pharmacist position. Pay special attention to the time frame it is open. It's open only 1 (one) day.
They must be getting hundreds of application for each position. They figured let's can make it available for 24 hours. Should help to reduce paperwork.
Seriously, the situation with job market is sad and scary. Normally, I see job posting on usajobs that are available for weeks and months.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 19.56.47.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-01 at 19.56.47.png
    139.2 KB · Views: 84
  • Wow
Like I've said before, the schools have sold a toxic asset bought by taxpayer expense. The DoE will get pressure from Congress to collect and the schools are going to be the only ones that can pay. Much easier than going after millions of students.

Honestly, I can get 80k a year working as coalmine foreman and its a easy job just driving around in a pickup making sure nobody is doing anything stupid. Instead, I listened to everybody say pharmacy was a career that always pays. Yeah, I know your thinking coal mining is dangerous and it is below ground but I'm talking above ground.

• Haha