2019 COMSAE 101, 102, 104 correlation to COMLEX scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

astronauticaldoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of June 2019, there is no statistical data correlating the new COMSAEs to a COMLEX Level 1 score.

Perhaps, if we post our data, we can generate our own "stats"? (***please only insert data if you took the exam timed***)
1. What did you score on COMASE 101, COMSAE 102, COMSAE 104? (Timed mode)
2. What were your most recent COMBANK percentages on your last 4 (50 question) Blocks in Timed mode?
(If you use COMQUEST instead, note that in your post)

If someone has a better idea, feel free to comment the idea.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
We need actual scores for this to be of any use. If you wanted to actually do it you need to have a large sample of people who all took the same practice tests and have a real COMLEX score to fill out a google doc, and then run stats on the data.

We need actual scores for this to be of any use. If you wanted to actually do it you need to have a large sample of people who all took the same practice tests and have a real COMLEX score to fill out a google doc, and then run stats on the data.
Scores won't come out until late July, of which there will likely be another thread with students posting their COMSAE scores with what they got on COMLEX, for the rest of the students in the country who are about to sit for this exam, without that information, and are trying to gauge how they're performing compared to others, before they sit "blindly" for this exam, without any idea of what their COMSAE scores mean comparatively, is the idea behind this post. Do you have a better idea?

Members don't see this ad :)
Scores won't come out until late July, of which there will likely be another thread with students posting their COMSAE scores with what they got on COMLEX, for the rest of the students in the country who are about to sit for this exam, without that information, and are trying to gauge how they're performing compared to others, before they sit "blindly" for this exam, without any idea of what their COMSAE scores mean comparatively, is the idea behind this post. Do you have a better idea?

Ah I see, I thought you were trying to put together some correlation data. No better ideas here, this is a complete crapshoot.

Reactions: 1 user
101; 515
103; 578

COMBANK form2; 83% correct / 90th percentile

UW%; 70%
NBME 18 234
NBME 16 232
NBME17 230
UWS2 237

Annnnnd about to take COMLEX tomorrow

Reactions: 4 users
101- 450 (taken in January)
103- 525
105- 574
102- 620

COMLEX on Friday.

@AnatomyGrey12 and @Medic741 which of the Comase's was COMLEX most similar to? Were they similar to the ones available for purchase? 101, 102, 104? Any other tips you guys can share for those of us mere mortals?

101- 450 (taken in January)
103- 525
105- 574
102- 620

COMLEX on Friday.

620 is the highest score I've heard reported on the new COMSAEs. Some classmates tried to calculate the curve on the new versions. They took 104 individually and then took it together to go over the answers (not being able to see the answers to each question is ridiculous). Even with 4 of them they only managed a 610. A bit ridiculous since they scored ~550 individually. They came to the conclusion that the scaling is insanely harsh, but maybe that is not the case.

Last edited:
Somebody in my class hit 700 on 103. Nuts

Someone in my class hit 700+ on 105

As for correlation I think our average on 105 was 120 pts lower than last years class on comsae E (? not 100% sure on the form)

@AnatomyGrey12 and @Medic741 which of the Comase's was COMLEX most similar to? Were they similar to the ones available for purchase? 101, 102, 104? Any other tips you guys can share for those of us mere mortals?

Honestly it was simultaneously very similar to them and also nothing like them at all. COMQUEST was probably closest. Lots of the questions were really straightforward, and there was an INSANE amount of micro. All I'll say is that you need to know micro cold because it could easily tank your score. OMM actually wasn't that bad, a few WTF questions but most of it was doable if you knew the concepts. I only watched the OME OMM videos and thought that did a really good job of preparing you. Lots of MSK anatomy, which was expected. Honestly the topic breakdown was probably really close to the percentages they give with the blueprint thing. Of course there were the "WTF COMLEX" questions but I really don't think anyone can study for those because they can come from anywhere, and there really weren't all that many of them. Maybe like 1 or 2 per 50 questions. Videos are long but you don't always need to watch the whole thing to get what they are hinting at, and the long stem questions are there but most of the time you don't really need the whole thing to answer the question. I hardly ever fully read stems though so who knows, maybe it will come back to blow up in my face.

The interface was the worst part. It was like puke green and it takes forever to go back and view your flagged questions. Oh and this test is definitely not 8 blocks of 50. It's essentially 4 blocks of 100 because you don't get a break until after 100 questions, lunch at 200, and another break at 300. Be wary of your time. The break timer starts right after you submit a block and your time doesn't roll over compared to USMLE.

As to prep it was pretty much all in UFAPS + OME OMM videos, but who knows maybe I dropped a 450 and my advice is crap lol. We'll see.
Somebody in my class hit 700 on 103. Nuts
Someone in my class hit 700+ on 105

As for correlation I think our average on 105 was 120 pts lower than last years class on comsae E (? not 100% sure on the form)

These people will hit 800 on the real thing or close to it. That's insane. Our class high was only like a 680 and that dude was close to 260 on his USMLE practice tests.

And the correlation was pretty much the same for us. Class average was about 75-100 points lower than the last few years with a 500 being like 90th percentile lol

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly it was simultaneously very similar to them and also nothing like them at all. COMQUEST was probably closest. Lots of the questions were really straightforward, and there was an INSANE amount of micro. All I'll say is that you need to know micro cold because it could easily tank your score. OMM actually wasn't that bad, a few WTF questions but most of it was doable if you knew the concepts. I only watched the OME OMM videos and thought that did a really good job of preparing you. Lots of MSK anatomy, which was expected. Honestly the topic breakdown was probably really close to the percentages they give with the blueprint thing. Of course there were the "WTF COMLEX" questions but I really don't think anyone can study for those because they can come from anywhere, and there really weren't all that many of them. Maybe like 1 or 2 per 50 questions. Videos are long but you don't always need to watch the whole thing to get what they are hinting at, and the long stem questions are there but most of the time you don't really need the whole thing to answer the question. I hardly ever fully read stems though so who knows, maybe it will come back to blow up in my face.

The interface was the worst part. It was like puke green and it takes forever to go back and view your flagged questions. Oh and this test is definitely not 8 blocks of 50. It's essentially 4 blocks of 100 because you don't get a break until after 100 questions, lunch at 200, and another break at 300. Be wary of your time. The break timer starts right after you submit a block and your time doesn't roll over compared to USMLE.

As to prep it was pretty much all in UFAPS + OME OMM videos, but who knows maybe I dropped a 450 and my advice is crap lol. We'll see.

These people will hit 800 on the real thing or close to it. That's insane. Our class high was only like a 680 and that dude was close to 260 on his USMLE practice tests.

And the correlation was pretty much the same for us. Class average was about 75-100 points lower than the last few years with a 500 being like 90th percentile lol
You’re an inspiration my friend, I’ll bet you crushed! Congrats!

Good idea on starting this thread, I’ve been wanting more info on the COMSAEs/COMLEX. I hate how we have no stats and to top it off can’t even review the forms to see what we got wrong.

101: 650s

Last COMBANK assessment: 89%
I don’t remember which assessments, school just assigned us 4 of the 50Q assessments.

Recent NBMEs: mid 240s

Will report back with my score on 105 next week. Probably won’t take any others unless I get a drastically different score from 101. Even then, not sure there is a point.

Insane amount of micro and msk anatomy for level 2? In what way?

Edit: I thought you were a third year nvm

Yeah this is going to have bias for sho, but 103:668 in april, last combank assessment I took was 99th percentile, 93% correct mid May, USMLE step 1 score 256, taken 5/3/19.

Comsae 104: 430, Combank hovering about 5% below the average. This comsae had like 85% of the test one liners - 3 sentence questions, so it's either easy or hard, depending if you knew the buzzwords or can mind read lol.

@AnatomyGrey12 @Medic741 Did they get rid of these types of questions: "Question 1 of 3 in this set" or the matching questions: "answers may be selected once, more than once, or not at all". This article was saying that the new COMLEX contains Stand Alone questions, is this true?

Took it today, they got rid of those multi part questions where you use the same stem to answer several things.
Didn’t think it was bad, definitely not AS BAD as COMSAE, but I got a 90% on the combank self-assessment 2 days ago - yeah, they need to update that because this test was NOTHING like that self assessment lol. Basically they pushed as hard they can to get around sketchy. Sketchy still came through many times, but overall they’re digging hard to make it obsolete.

Reactions: 3 users
Took it today, they got rid of those multi part questions where you use the same stem to answer several things.
Didn’t think it was bad, definitely not AS BAD as COMSAE, but I got a 90% on the combank self-assessment 2 days ago - yeah, they need to update that because this test was NOTHING like that self assessment lol. Basically they pushed as hard they can to get around sketchy. Sketchy still came through many times, but overall they’re digging hard to make it obsolete.

I can confidently say, having done all of Firecracker and keeping up w it since M1 that there was actually *not a single bug/detail* that I hadn’t seen in that resource. Supplementing sketchy w firecracker was invaluable. We’ll just have to see if the score reflects that :ninja:

Reactions: 1 users
lmao, i wonder what the test question writers are thinking when they're watching sketchy

Totally agree. The 4 blocks of 100 thing is so accurate and it is a slog, especially in the afternoon. I answered several bugs or path concepts 4-5 times, so I don't know why tf it's 400 questions (unless I got them wrong lol). They went after about 5-10 bugs that weren't in sketchy or even FA, and there was an awful lot of esoteric global public health or healthcare delivery questions on it. Nothing like the COMBANK assessment.

They also put the vitals and lab values in the question stem. I thought I would like that, but it broke up the question so much I'd forget who the patient was by the time I got to what they were asking for.

Had a 60 second video of a dude getting a full on Weber/Rinne test. The acting in the videos were top notch. I started watching them as breaks.

It was harder than USMLE in my opinion simply because of the length and structure of the test. Just glad I get to take another one in a year and prove again my ability to not poop for 8 hours.

I can confidently say, having done all of Firecracker and keeping up w it since M1 that there was actually *not a single bug/detail* that I hadn’t seen in that resource. Supplementing sketchy w firecracker was invaluable. We’ll just have to see if the score reflects that :ninja:
What’s firecracker?

A really low yield resource that somehow still permeates to a few medical students each year.
A really low yield resource that somehow still permeates to a few medical students each year.
I would completely disagree with that. Used firecracker as my primary resource for 1/2 year and tracked it along with class lectures. Was a great comprehensive resource.

And as people are complaining here that they didn’t know / see so many details that were on COMLEX it might be time to change the perspective that all you need to know is what’s on a HY list. NBOME figured that out it seems and is screwing us by highlighting the low-yield fluff that firecracker was able to capture.

I liked it way more than the cloze deletion Anki decks cause it actually forced recall of broader topics with fewer contextual clues.

Dunno why so many people trash FC, after using it comprehensively I only had maybe 5 questions on the exam where I was going WTF

The lowest yield is the actual blueprint, which our school continues to push - as if reading it benefits anyone even one iota.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I would completely disagree with that. Used firecracker as my primary resource for 1/2 year and tracked it along with class lectures. Was a great comprehensive resource.

And as people are complaining here that they didn’t know / see so many details that were on COMLEX it might be time to change the perspective that all you need to know is what’s on a HY list. NBOME figured that out it seems and is screwing us by highlighting the low-yield fluff that firecracker was able to capture.

I liked it way more than the cloze deletion Anki decks cause it actually forced recall of broader topics with fewer contextual clues.

Dunno why so many people trash FC, after using it comprehensively I only had maybe 5 questions on the exam where I was going WTF
I did firecracker during MS1 (started zanki ms2) and i totally agree FC is the most comprehensive resource. It was tough to use at first because the cards were long and included info i hadnt learned yet (lots of connecting the dots). But i found it absolutely awesome during dedicated, instead of using the flashcards i used the data bank sheets to help review UW qs/concepts i needed to brush up on. Way better reference than FA IMO

Reactions: 1 users
The lowest yield is the actual blueprint, which our school continues to push - as if reading it benefits anyone even one iota.

What you don't think that "systems practice in osteopathic medicine" isn't specific enough?

Reactions: 4 users
Lol I hate how there's so many sources.
All I wanna do this summer is geta pass in of sketchy and gather sources and create a plan - what did you guy use ?!

Sketchy, FA, Pathoma, and UW are a MUST?
Zanki, B&B use also to supplement?

Help!

Sketchy, FA, Pathoma, and UW are a MUST?
Zanki, B&B use also to supplement?

Zanki is all of the top 4.

Do zanki and as many practice questions as you can. Get a PDF of FA and control F anything that comes up in practice questions you don't know.

Zanki is all of the top 4.

Do zanki and as many practice questions as you can. Get a PDF of FA and control F anything that comes up in practice questions you don't know.
The pdf of first aid is *huge* for classes and esp dedicated.