Mandatory COMLEX in 3 weeks with 0 chance of pushback. Barely passing COMSAE and COMQUEST questions.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LondonVibes

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve been passing most self assesments but can’t seem to take myself to the safe zone.

Comquest q banks: 424
COMSAE 111: 312 (June)
COMSAE 107: 435
COMSAE 112: 410

Comquest is the only bank I have access to now, though I did complete 76% uworld when I had access, but at a sub 40% correct rate.

I have 3 weeks and half days of rotations and IM shelf exam before then. What can I do to make sure I pass COMLEX?

Edit: I also take final COMSAE tomorrow or sunday.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’ve been passing most self assesments but can’t seem to take myself to the safe zone.

Comquest is the only bank I have access to now, though I did complete 76% uworld when I had access, but at a sub 40% correct rate.

I have 3 weeks and half days of rotations and IM shelf exam before then. What can I do to make sure I pass COMLEX?

Its kinda crazy that they are forcing you to take an exam that you don't feel ready for.

Some last minute tips for comlex are:
- Watch Randy Neil videos
- Watch Dirty medicine OMM series
- Nail down your chapman points (video on this on youtube as well)
- Watch Dirty medicine ethics series
- Be comfortable with antibiotics

Edit: Less crazy that they are having you take comlex 1 as it seems you are pretty far out and if this keeps going you could be in jeopardy of delaying graduation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What penal colony is this?????

They’re on rotations and still haven’t taken COMLEX… Sadly I bet the OP did this to themselves. It will be December before they even know if they passed or failed. Then they’ll need to study again, retake, and then wait for results. All of this needs to take place so they can go for LEVEL-2 so they can apply for match. I assume Goro your penal colony just lets students push their test back indefinitely and collects tuition?!

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
3 weeks is enough for any resident working hr/wk to pass level 3
Looks like it’s a med student and level 1.

What penal colony is this?????
I’m assuming this student has been pushing it back considerably. Expecting a pass on level 1 by half way through third year is actually very forgiving. This is basically the latest you could expect it while still giving the student enough time to study for level 2, get letters, schedule sub-i’s, etc.

OP, you have to prioritize. Failing an IM shelf might happen and that would suck. Failing Level 1 is much worse. Blow off the shelf and hope you pass. Figure it out later if you don’t.

Keep pounding questions. If you’ve got vacation time at all, you need to use all of it in the days leading up.

Its kinda crazy that they are forcing you to take an exam that you don't feel ready for.

Some last minute tips for comlex are:
- Watch Randy Neil videos
- Watch Dirty medicine OMM series
- Nail down your chapman points (video on this on youtube as well)
- Watch Dirty medicine ethics series
- Be comfortable with antibiotics
At least 30 minutes of sketchy and 30 minutes of pathoma per day at least at 1.5 speed because you should have these cold.

Reactions: 3 users

I’m assuming this student has been pushing it back considerably. Expecting a pass on level 1 by half way through third year is actually very forgiving. This is basically the latest you could expect it while still giving the student enough time to study for level 2, get letters, schedule sub-i’s, etc.

OP, you have to prioritize. Failing an IM shelf might happen and that would suck. Failing Level 1 is much worse. Blow off the shelf and hope you pass. Figure it out later if you don’t.

Keep pounding questions. If you’ve got vacation time at all, you need to use all of it in the days leading up.

At least 30 minutes of sketchy and 30 minutes of pathoma per day at least at 1.5 speed because you should have these cold.
I completely glossed over the fact that this student was also studying for their IM shelf exam.

I agree with this.

Shelf exam failure is going to be less important than studying and making sure you pass level 1. Half days of IM isnt really that bad. There will still be plenty of time to study for comlex but you have to be dedicated.

Oh, oops. 3 weeks should be enough to pass for a medical student to pass level 1 of they have dedicated time. Otherwise, it sounds like no way out. I'm sure the school has some rules or bull**** that helps them get away with doing whatever they want

The good news is got a decent score on the final COMSAE 110 (475). I know it’s an easier COMSAE but that is a good source of encouragement. Given there are no more COMSAEs left, how should I divide my resources? The main resources I’m using are COMQUEST, both PepperDecks, and I want to add dukes pathoma deck as well.

Per my comsae report, if I can fix up pathology, pharmacology (which I’m like halfway thru anki wise), and microbiology (which I’m most of the way thru), this should be very passable.

I’ve already failed a Step and know that I may have to retake that (though the school provides 0 time off and neither do most of my rotations for a step retake (I know I’m extra unlucky here))

But the important thing now is to pass the COMLEX Level 1, and if I do pass it, I must be thankful for my school being in the less than half of schools that would even have given me an option of taking it this late, because I was morbidly failing questions as late as early October.

But that monologue aside, is the above plan of 3 anki decks and questions good? Or is there more I should be doing?

I completely glossed over the fact that this student was also studying for their IM shelf exam.

I agree with this.

Shelf exam failure is going to be less important than studying and making sure you pass level 1. Half days of IM isnt really that bad. There will still be plenty of time to study for comlex but you have to be dedicated.
I think I see what you mean. It’s tempting to think I can make myself pass both, but for now Level 1 is first priority. My school actually allows a non penalized retake of shelf that doesn’t go on deans letter, but a second shelf failure is worse than a Level failure. Regardless, it’s first attempt for both so level is a more important exam.

I would not consider retaking step at all. You failed a step, and having trouble passing the COMLEX. I'd focus on getting the best COMLEX scores you can, and apply with just those. At this point dividing your time/energy across multiple exams is likely to hurt you, and releasing a failed step is likely to hurt you also.

Best of luck on L1.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
I would not consider retaking step at all. You failed a step, and having trouble passing the COMLEX. I'd focus on getting the best COMLEX scores you can, and apply with just those. At this point dividing your time/energy across multiple exams is likely to hurt you, and releasing a failed step is likely to hurt you also.

Best of luck on L1.

I was just typing up this same message. There are some other posts on here about individuals retaking STEP and from what Ive read the consensus is for those individuals to just wash their hands of it and focus all their energy on COMLEX. Do a search I cant remember the exact user but there was an extensive discussion on this.

The good news is got a decent score on the final COMSAE 110 (475). I know it’s an easier COMSAE but that is a good source of encouragement. Given there are no more COMSAEs left, how should I divide my resources? The main resources I’m using are COMQUEST, both PepperDecks, and I want to add dukes pathoma deck as well.

Per my comsae report, if I can fix up pathology, pharmacology (which I’m like halfway thru anki wise), and microbiology (which I’m most of the way thru), this should be very passable.

I’ve already failed a Step and know that I may have to retake that (though the school provides 0 time off and neither do most of my rotations for a step retake (I know I’m extra unlucky here))

But the important thing now is to pass the COMLEX Level 1, and if I do pass it, I must be thankful for my school being in the less than half of schools that would even have given me an option of taking it this late, because I was morbidly failing questions as late as early October.

But that monologue aside, is the above plan of 3 anki decks and questions good? Or is there more I should be doing?

My above message stands with my suggestions on some areas to focus on. Goodluck!

Used this video to slog through all 3 COMLEXes. It's a joke exam that barely has relevance to how much you study.

If you memorize it, you'll get freebie points just from practicing the drawing.