2020-2021 Allergy-Immunology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is there any Allergy/Immunology fellowship whatsapp group for 2020/2021?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone provide insight on the number of interviews that should be a comfortable number to match AI? Specifically also for a DO applicant? I know there are a lot of variables from applicant to applicant. And this year might look a bit different.

Wondering if anyone received confirmation of their Columbia interview date?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone provide insight on the number of interviews that should be a comfortable number to match AI? Specifically also for a DO applicant? I know there are a lot of variables from applicant to applicant. And this year might look a bit different.

Earlier discussion in this thread was generally around 10 IVs based on most recent available data for all applicants. Personally, I am more paranoid and set a goal of around 15 based on general advice to apply/interview to more places from our in-house program directors. I am a US MD.

On a related note, adding Cleveland Clinic to the "unable" list:

Interview invitations:
8/12 - Mayo (IM), Mayo (Peds), Vanderbilt (IM)
8/13 - Augusta University (IM)
8/14 - Wisconsin (IM)
8/17 - Colorado/National Jewish (IM)
8/18 - Northwestern (IM), Albany Medical College (Peds)
8/19 - Mayo-AZ (IM), Rush (IM), Mt. Sinai (Peds)
8/20 - Boston Children's (Peds), NIH (Peds), NIH (IM)
8/21 - Buffalo (IM), Mount Sinai (IM), Boston University (IM) , UPenn (IM), Cincinnati Children’s (IM/Peds), OSU (IM), CHM (IM), Henry Ford (IM)
8/22 - UVA (IM/Peds)
8/24 - Emory (IM/Peds), WashU St. Louis (IM), CHoP (Peds), UCSF (IM)
8/25 - Duke (IM, Peds), MGH (Peds), Thomas Jeff (IM), University of Rochester (IM)
8/26 - Colorado/National Jewish (Peds), Alabama (IM)
8/27- University of Washington (IM)
8/28 - Johns Hopkins (IM), Indiana University (IM), VA Los Angeles (IM), University of Kansas (IM), University of Iowa (IM), USC (IM) Winthrop (IM)
8/30 - VCU (IM)
8/31 - UTMB Galveston (IM), UPMC (IM), UC Irvine (IM), Stanford (IM, Peds - phone interview), Baylor (IM, Peds)
9/1 - Yale (IM, Peds), U Tennessee / UTHSC (IM), Tulane (IM), UCSD (IM), U Michigan (IM), Scripps (IM), Brigham (Peds)
9/2 - Nicklaus (Peds)
9/3 - USF (IM), Northwestern (Peds), Brigham (IM), UNC (IM).
9/4 - Kaiser LA (IM), Cleveland Clinic (IM), LSU (Peds)
9/5 - Univ of Colorado/Children’s Hospital of Colorado (IM/Peds)
9/8 - UTSW (IM)
9/10 - Northwell (peds), UC Davis (IM)
9/13 - UCLA (IM,Peds)
9/14 - NJMS (IM)
9/15 - Penn State Hershey (peds)
9/17 - Montefiore/Albert Einstein (IM)
9/17 - Rutgers NJ
9/19 - University of Iowa (IM)
9/25 - Columbia - NYP (IM)

Unable to offer Interview:
9/9 - Massachusetts General
9/10 - Baylor (IM)
9/14 - USF
9/16 - Rush University Medical Center
9/18 - University of Arizona
9/21 - McGaw Northwestern
9/30 - Cleveland Clinic

Earlier discussion in this thread was generally around 10 IVs based on most recent available data for all applicants. Personally, I am more paranoid and set a goal of around 15 based on general advice to apply/interview to more places from our in-house program directors. I am a US MD.

I think this year (with virtual interviews), people applied/are planning interviews to more than usual. 10 interviews is a hard task with flights, hotels, etc. Your PDs were nice to encourage more places—I was told to apply to 5-7 places only, which I don’t this is realistic for the specialty.

On other news, UCLA just released their interview dates :)

One of my favorite immunology attendings ever, is a DO Med/Peds trained, and he’s a well known immunologist. Nowadays, I don’t think the DO/MD divide is as big, but I do wonder whether taking the USMLEs (vs Comlex) before applying would make a DO more competitive.

Has anyone heard(invitation or rejection) from Stanford after screening phone interview.
I haven’t heard, when I had my phone interview they said they were aiming for end of September but thought they might run a little late into October and not to worry if you hadn’t heard back by end of September because they would be sending out invites and rejections so we would know one way or the other.

Reactions: 4 users
Any one interested in swapping interview date at Uni of Iowa. Mine is on 10/13. Any other date will work for me. Will greatly appreciate help.

Current fellow here.

I think this will be a very interesting interview cycle. Applicants are doing way more interviews than they would have traditionally done. I did 10 interviews when I applied and that was difficult. It's hard to get that kind of time off arranged as a resident and it costs quite a bit of money to book flights, hotels, and transportation. Because of that, I turned down quite a few interviews. Programs also seem to be interviewing more people per spot than they typically would. The majority of applicants we are interviewing have excellent stats. I imagine that same cohort of applicants is being interviewed by all the competitive programs (although this happens with traditional interviews as well), so I think both applicants and programs are going to be in for some real surprises come match day.

If I was applying right now, I'd probably be taking just about every invite I could get and then ranking pretty much every place (unless I absolutely hated it).

Reactions: 7 users
Hope everyone's interviews are going well. Is it safe to bet that all invites are done? Did anyone ever hear from Wake Forest?

Hope everyone's interviews are going well. Is it safe to bet that all invites are done? Did anyone ever hear from Wake Forest?

I think Stanford has not sent invites yet?

Adding Stanford (peds):

Interview invitations:
8/14 - Wisconsin (IM)
8/21 - Buffalo (IM), Mount Sinai (IM), Boston University (IM) , UPenn (IM), Cincinnati Children’s (IM/Peds), OSU (IM), CHM (IM), Henry Ford (IM)
8/22 - UVA (IM/Peds)
8/25 - Duke (IM, Peds), MGH (Peds), Thomas Jeff (IM), University of Rochester (IM)
8/28 - Johns Hopkins (IM), Indiana University (IM), VA Los Angeles (IM), University of Kansas (IM), University of Iowa (IM), USC (IM) Winthrop (IM)
8/30 - VCU (IM)
8/31 - UTMB Galveston (IM), UPMC (IM), UC Irvine (IM), Stanford (IM, Peds - phone interview), Baylor (IM, Peds)
9/1 - Yale (IM, Peds), U Tennessee / UTHSC (IM), Tulane (IM), UCSD (IM), U Michigan (IM), Scripps (IM), Brigham (Peds)
9/2 - Nicklaus (Peds)
9/8 - UTSW (IM)
9/13 - UCLA (IM,Peds)
9/14 - NJMS (IM)
9/17 - Rutgers NJ
10/5 - Stanford (peds)

9/10 - Baylor (IM)
9/14 - USF
9/30 - Cleveland Clinic

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Adding Stanford (peds):

Interview invitations:
8/14 - Wisconsin (IM)
8/22 - UVA (IM/Peds)
8/30 - VCU (IM)
9/2 - Nicklaus (Peds)
9/8 - UTSW (IM)
9/13 - UCLA (IM,Peds)
9/14 - NJMS (IM)
9/17 - Rutgers NJ
10/5 - Stanford (peds)

9/10 - Baylor (IM)
9/14 - USF
9/30 - Cleveland Clinic

Anyone else hear from Stanford? No word here.

Anyone else hear from Stanford? No word here.
I heard from Stanford (IM); edited to update list

Interview invitations:
8/14 - Wisconsin (IM)
8/22 - UVA (IM/Peds)
8/30 - VCU (IM)
9/2 - Nicklaus (Peds)
9/8 - UTSW (IM)
9/13 - UCLA (IM,Peds)
9/14 - NJMS (IM)
9/17 - Rutgers NJ
10/5 - Stanford (Peds/IM)

9/10 - Baylor (IM)
9/14 - USF
9/30 - Cleveland Clinic

Last edited:
Current fellow here.

I think this will be a very interesting interview cycle. Applicants are doing way more interviews than they would have traditionally done. I did 10 interviews when I applied and that was difficult. It's hard to get that kind of time off arranged as a resident and it costs quite a bit of money to book flights, hotels, and transportation. Because of that, I turned down quite a few interviews. Programs also seem to be interviewing more people per spot than they typically would. The majority of applicants we are interviewing have excellent stats. I imagine that same cohort of applicants is being interviewed by all the competitive programs (although this happens with traditional interviews as well), so I think both applicants and programs are going to be in for some real surprises come match day.

If I was applying right now, I'd probably be taking just about every invite I could get and then ranking pretty much every place (unless I absolutely hated it).
I agree.
I realized this when I had a virtual interview with a group of 10 candidates total. If they had 10 people each of their 4 dates then that's 40 people for 2 spots. In reality there are probably some dates that have more candidates and some that have less.

I expect that programs probably invited a similar number of people this year as previous years but many more people are showing up to the interviews. That would mean more total interviews per person and more total ranks. I wonder if people who have many options will rank them all.

Just from more interviews I would imagine that this year there would be less unfilled programs and more people matching. But, there'd be more people getting their 4+ ranks as opposed to the 1,2,3. All speculation and hoping that we all find great fits!

I agree.
I realized this when I had a virtual interview with a group of 10 candidates total. If they had 10 people each of their 4 dates then that's 40 people for 2 spots. In reality there are probably some dates that have more candidates and some that have less.

I expect that programs probably invited a similar number of people this year as previous years but many more people are showing up to the interviews. That would mean more total interviews per person and more total ranks. I wonder if people who have many options will rank them all.

Just from more interviews I would imagine that this year there would be less unfilled programs and more people matching. But, there'd be more people getting their 4+ ranks as opposed to the 1,2,3. All speculation and hoping that we all find great fits!

Based on what I've seen and heard, smaller programs are interviewing 15-20 or 25 (at most) for 1-2 spots. Maybe some of the bigger programs (3-4 spots) are interviewing more. I'm seeing a lot of the same people in interviews. I'm thinking it will be similar to previous years when 60% of people get there top 3 and the other 40% fall below that. If anything, I think it will favor the applicant this year.

Based on what I've seen and heard, smaller programs are interviewing 15-20 or 25 (at most) for 1-2 spots. Maybe some of the bigger programs (3-4 spots) are interviewing more. I'm seeing a lot of the same people in interviews. I'm thinking it will be similar to previous years when 60% of people get there top 3 and the other 40% fall below that. If anything, I think it will favor the applicant this year.

I second this. I personally have seen from really personalized (one candidate per day) to max 4-5 candidates. Some programs may try to capitalize and interview more, but that requires a lot more effort from the faculty, etc.

It is more advantageous to apply/interview broadly than to recruit/interview more candidates.

I agree.

I second this. I personally have seen from really personalized (one candidate per day) to max 4-5 candidates. Some programs may try to capitalize and interview more, but that requires a lot more effort from the faculty, etc.

It is more advantageous to apply/interview broadly than to recruit/interview more candidates.

I've had a handful of programs where the interview day is just me. These have been more often 1-slot programs, and one was a 2-spotter. Doing the math, it's been about 7-16 applicants interviewed per position. A couple of interviews had simply too many people (8 total most recently), and I wasn't really able to get as many questions in for the fellow happy hour as I would've liked.

People seem to have as few as 6-8 interviews and as many as 20+ from what I've gathered, and I've overlapped with so many people. Some people I've seen 4-5 times. I would not be surprised if a couple of the mid-low tier programs didn't fill, but I also wouldn't be surprised if I dropped out of my top10 come match day given that my top10 only covers 20 spots.

Has anyone heard additional details from UC Davis?
And whatever happened to SUNY Brooklyn?

Is anyone applying AI a DO that didn’t take usmle on here? Just trying to get an idea if I would have a chance applying to AI coming from a DO program with comlex only.

Current fellow here.

Thanks very much for your insight.
Just a follow up question, would you mind elaborating on “excellent stats”?

Understand this is a long shot and these messages are annoying so my apologies. If anyone has a Tulane interview 10/23 and would be willing to switch to 10/30, can you please let me know?

Registering for the NRMP, I realized something in their agreement:

“NEW Program staff are prohibited from requesting applicants reveal any information pertaining to interviews, including the number of applications sent, and/or the number of interviews offered, accepted or attended. (Section 6.2.b)”

I had more than one place ask me these questions, and I am wondering if this new rule is just not known or ignored. Is this is a common occurrence to others?

Has anyone received a "no" from Stanford after the screening phone call?

“NEW Program staff are prohibited from requesting applicants reveal any information pertaining to interviews, including the number of applications sent, and/or the number of interviews offered, accepted or attended. (Section 6.2.b)”

I had more than one place ask me these questions, and I am wondering if this new rule is just not known or ignored. Is this is a common occurrence to others?

My question was mostly in the form of, "How far are you into interviews?" It seemed innocent. I always answered, "About half way through the season." I was never asked where I interviewed, how many I applied to, or how many interviews I got.

I was surprised at how many people outright asked me if I'd be willing to move to their location and what ties I had. I'd assume programs should rank you based on merit and fit and see where the match fell after giving you an interview. But again, it seemed innocent.

I've had a handful of programs where the interview day is just me. These have been more often 1-slot programs, and one was a 2-spotter. Doing the math, it's been about 7-16 applicants interviewed per position. A couple of interviews had simply too many people (8 total most recently), and I wasn't really able to get as many questions in for the fellow happy hour as I would've liked.

People seem to have as few as 6-8 interviews and as many as 20+ from what I've gathered, and I've overlapped with so many people. Some people I've seen 4-5 times. I would not be surprised if a couple of the mid-low tier programs didn't fill, but I also wouldn't be surprised if I dropped out of my top10 come match day given that my top10 only covers 20 spots.

Has anyone heard additional details from UC Davis?
And whatever happened to SUNY Brooklyn?

This makes me super nervous. I only have 5 interviews. Stanford would be my 6th, but they never got back to me after the phone call and I'm assuming it's a no.

I thought that was always a rule. Nevertheless I had a few interviewers who asked me specifically where else I’d interviewed, including one who basically didn’t ask me anything else! (I was in last year’s group.)

This makes me super nervous. I only have 5 interviews. Stanford would be my 6th, but they never got back to me after the phone call and I'm assuming it's a no.
I also never heard from the Stanford after phone interview. I think we could email them but I also assumed it's no.

Adding SUNY Downstate (peds):

Interview invitations:
8/14 - Wisconsin (IM)
8/22 - UVA (IM/Peds)
8/30 - VCU (IM)
9/2 - Nicklaus (Peds)
9/8 - UTSW (IM)
9/13 - UCLA (IM,Peds)
9/14 - NJMS (IM)
9/17 - Rutgers NJ
10/5 - Stanford (peds)
10/14 - SUNY downstate (ped)

9/10 - Baylor (IM)
9/14 - USF
9/30 - Cleveland Clinic

I also never heard from the Stanford after phone interview. I think we could email them but I also assumed it's no.

I withdrew my app from one place that did not send any signals of life, and the next day I got an email saying they won’t be offering me an interview, so I think they are not saying no until all interviews are done because they expect people to drop invites. Unless you diss them first :)

I interviewed with Stanford yesterday. They said the phone call was basically the interview and the zoom was for “us to interview them”.

We should put impressions here after the match in December. I saved the ones from the forum in the past 2 cycles so I will paste mine along with those.

We should put impressions here after the match in December. I saved the ones from the forum in the past 2 cycles so I will paste mine along with those.
Is it faux pas to do this before rank lists are due? I would love to get some verification on my impressions of a few programs. A handful of them were verbatim what was disclosed in the last cycle's group.

Does anyone know if you are at a disadvantage if your had fewer interviewers than others? I heard that faculty will vote/talk about the candidates and contribute to the ranking process. But if you only spoke with three faculties, instead of 5, will you get fewer votes and thus are at a disadvantage?
I don’t actually know what the process is, but I’ve been so anxious through this interview process and I can’t get this off my mind.

Does anyone know if you are at a disadvantage if your had fewer interviewers than others? I heard that faculty will vote/talk about the candidates and contribute to the ranking process. But if you only spoke with three faculties, instead of 5, will you get fewer votes and thus are at a disadvantage?
I don’t actually know what the process is, but I’ve been so anxious through this interview process and I can’t get this off my mind.

Ive had fewer interviewers in cases where I think they really want to recruit me. My home program literally said “well so-and-so know you well, so we don’t need them to interview you”.

I feel like if you actually want to go into this field, you answered their questions of how you became interested in your essay and your application. So I tend to view it negatively if more people interview me just to ask me that question. It shows me the program did not read the application or select candidates based on their particular institutional or departmental mission/expertise or the potential of trainee to be a good immunologist (or allergist, I am not hating on you A people out here :).

I was more confused about what the etiquette for follow up was, and whether each interviewer needs a separate note afterwards. I valued more compact interviews (less faculty, more time) and felt that made it possible to write sincere messages since our discussion was more fruitful.

I am a particular case, though. I have 15 years of immunology research under me (and a PhD), residency at a T5 program and my only sibling died from an immunodeficiency. My goals and clarity of my commitment to the field should not be hard to determine. I also have a very pregnant wife (due this month). Therefore I appreciate the respect of the interviewers who read my application and the programs who don’t keep
me on a webcam for hours needlessly.

Is it faux pas to do this before rank lists are due? I would love to get some verification on my impressions of a few programs. A handful of them were verbatim what was disclosed in the last cycle's group.

I think given these forums are public, it would be faux pas, or unnecessary exposure before the rank order lists are submitted. I don’t mind talking openly (and have shared quite a bit about myself here, because I stand by who I am), but I believe the last grain of power in this process is your preferences.

However, I am happy to openly talk to anyone privately about what I thought of certain places, and get their impression until the lists are final. I actually have corresponded with some of the people here that I met in the interview trail, with the goal of helping us get more perspective on the places we saw, in order to make better decisions for our personal interests in the field.

I agree on the verbatim impressions from last year—they gave me a good sense that is what the program was like without visiting.

Just to clarify: all of us have to submit our rank order list on 11/18 and match day will be 12/2, correct? I'm just confused about the difference in dates on nrmp between "peds specialities match" and "medical specialties match."

Just to clarify: all of us have to submit our rank order list on 11/18 and match day will be 12/2, correct? I'm just confused about the difference in dates on nrmp between "peds specialities match" and "medical specialties match."

that is my understanding!!

Also any thoughts on if you don’t interview with the program director? Not sure how to interpret this ...

Sorry, lurking. A/I is considered a medical specialties match, even if it’s a primarily peds program.

that is my understanding!!

Also any thoughts on if you don’t interview with the program director? Not sure how to interpret this ...
I noticed that in 2-3 of my interviews, there were not enough slots for the candidates to interview with the PD. While I suppose it is luck of the draw, I think it definitely works against your favor if you are one of the unlucky few. It's my opinion that one person ultimately makes the list, even if there's input from multiple directions.
I know that I was personally disappointed when I didn't get an APD interview with one of my programs.

I would be suspicious if I didn't interview with the PD. It probably reflects the higher volume of interviews being done in general.

I wouldn't be too worried about it. I'm a current fellow and in my program, I don't see the PD having more influence than anyone else. He/she can voice their opinion, but would listen if anyone else had a comment on a particular candidate.

The reality is that everyone would love to talk to everyone. I think we underestimate how daunting it is to interview tons of people. Especially when their clinics are so busy and things have to get done.

I also feel it has to be way more boring to interview us- we all say similar answers to questions and we all ask the same questions.

My 2 cents.

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone applying AI a DO that didn’t take usmle on here? Just trying to get an idea if I would have a chance applying to AI coming from a DO program with comlex only.

I applied and matched last year in AI. I am a DO who did not take USMLE only COMLEX. I would be happy to answer any questions you have just message me!

Anyone else nervous about not having enough ranks to match? I definitely do not want to do a year of hospitalist or outpatient general IM.

Anyone else nervous about not having enough ranks to match? I definitely do not want to do a year of hospitalist or outpatient general IM.
I’m definitely nervous. I don’t want to do outpatient peds for a year either. Definitely not doing hospitalist. AND I have to work on more research projects to stay competitive and I am not sure if I will have less chance of matching after having a gap year....

Can anyone please share input on following programs in terms of training strength. How would you rank them.

PENN state
North well
Uni of South florida(all Children)
Uni of Southern California
Zucker

Will greatly appreciate any input

I am but conversely there are a couple programs I’d rather not rank. I’m just hoping 10 or more is enough ¯\_(ツ)_/¯