Official 2023-2024 Allergy & Immunology Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi all. I'm thinking of cancelling the remainder of my interviews with a particular program. I had one interview last week, and have a couple (2nd interviews) next week. I'm likely not going to rank them (personal preferences) but just wondering if they find that rude since I've already had one interview.
There are programs doing second interviews? What is this, a fellowship for hobbits?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone on this thread heard from Stanford yet? Seems like last year's invites came out super late. And based on the initial email they sent out when we first submitted applications, I assume we would at least hear about rejection vs interview invite? Thanks!
Yes, I heard from them back in August. There are still 7 more interview dates extending all the way out into November, so they might have more of a rolling interview style than other programs do. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Adding SUNY Downstate

7/20 - MCG (IM)
7/21 - Rush (IM)
7/25 - CHOP (P), Vanderbilt (IM), Mayo Rochester (IM)
7/26 - UW Madison (IM)
7/27 - Cincinnati Children’s (P), Tulane (IM/P)
7/28 - University of Cincinnati (IM), Nebraska (IM), University of Tennessee (IM/P), University of Chicago (IM)
7/29 - NJH (IM)
7/31- University of Arkansas (IM), Albany Med (IM)
8/1 - Ohio State (IM/P), MCG (P), University at Buffalo (IM/P), Indiana University (P), UVA (IM/P), VA/UCLA (IM), LSU NOLA (IM/P)
8/2 - Memorial Healthcare Hollywood FL (IM), Rush (IM/P), University of Arizona-Tucson (IM), UPMC (IM/P), Penn State (IM)
8/4 - Children's Hospital of MI (P), Henry Ford (IM/P), University of Iowa (IM), UC Davis (IM), University of Mississippi (IM)
8/7 - Yale (IM/P), Northwestern (IM), Colorado (P), Missouri (P), University of Washington (Med-Peds), Penn State (P)
8/8 - WUSM (IM), Mayo Clinic- Arizona (IM/P), UCSF (IM), Northwestern (P)
8/9 - UTMB (IM/P), UC San Diego (IM/P)
8/10 - JHU (IM)
8/11 - WUSM (P), Boston University (IM), Mount Sinai (M/P), Scripps (M/P), OHSU (IM)
8/14 - MGH (IM/P), KU (IM/P), Yale (P), University of Michigan (M/P), Case Western (P), UPenn (IM)
8/15 - Memorial Healthcare Hollywood, Fl (IM/P), Kaiser Perm Los Angeles (IM)
8/16 - NIH (P/IM), Rochester (P)
8/17 - Boston Children’s (P), Boston University (IM), Dartmouth (P/IM), NYU Long Island (P)
8/18 - MGH (P), NYU Long Island (IM), Nicklaus (P), University of Kansas (IM), Sidney Kimmel (IM)
8/19 - UNC (IM/P)
8/20 - University of South Fl (P)
8/21 - Brigham and Women’s (P)
8/22 - Columbia (P), Emory (IM/P), UTSW (IM/P), University of Tennessee (P)
8/23 - Montefiore (IM/P), Mount Sinai (P), Cleveland Clinic (P), UCLA (IM/P)
8/24 - UAB (IM/P), WVU (IM), BWH (IM)
8/25 - St. Louis (P), Baylor (IM)
8/28 - University of South Fl (IM)
8/31 - Brown (P)
9/2 - JHU (P)
9/9 - CHOP (P)
9/13 - NJH (P)
9/14 - Rutgers-NJMS (IM/P)
9/27 - SUNY Downstate (P)

Rejections:
8/7 - Colorado (P)
8/9 - Northwestern/Lurie (P)
8/16 - NIH (IM)
8/17 - Nebraska (IM)
9/5 - Duke (IM)
9/6 - Northwell/Zucker (P)
9/28 - Baylor

Adding SUNY Downstate IM as well

7/20 - MCG (IM)
7/21 - Rush (IM)
7/26 - UW Madison (IM)
7/28 - University of Cincinnati (IM), Nebraska (IM), University of Tennessee (IM/P), University of Chicago (IM)
7/29 - NJH (IM)
8/1 - Ohio State (IM/P), MCG (P), University at Buffalo (IM/P), Indiana University (P), UVA (IM/P), VA/UCLA (IM), LSU NOLA (IM/P)
8/2 - Memorial Healthcare Hollywood FL (IM), Rush (IM/P), University of Arizona-Tucson (IM), UPMC (IM/P), Penn State (IM)
8/4 - Children's Hospital of MI (P), Henry Ford (IM/P), University of Iowa (IM), UC Davis (IM), University of Mississippi (IM)
8/7 - Yale (IM/P), Northwestern (IM), Colorado (P), Missouri (P), University of Washington (Med-Peds), Penn State (P)
8/10 - JHU (IM)
8/11 - WUSM (P), Boston University (IM), Mount Sinai (M/P), Scripps (M/P), OHSU (IM)
8/14 - MGH (IM/P), KU (IM/P), Yale (P), University of Michigan (M/P), Case Western (P), UPenn (IM)
8/17 - Boston Children’s (P), Boston University (IM), Dartmouth (P/IM), NYU Long Island (P)
8/18 - MGH (P), NYU Long Island (IM), Nicklaus (P), University of Kansas (IM), Sidney Kimmel (IM)
8/19 - UNC (IM/P)
8/31 - Brown (P)
9/2 - JHU (P)
9/9 - CHOP (P)
9/13 - NJH (P)
9/27 - SUNY Downstate (P/IM)

Rejections:
8/7 - Colorado (P)
8/16 - NIH (IM)
8/17 - Nebraska (IM)
9/5 - Duke (IM)
9/28 - Baylor

I wish we had legit stats on number of interviews needed to match and on what percent of people match into one of their top 4?

This thread has been dead for awhile… but now that most people are done with interviews, how is everyone feeling? I’m really stressed about the rank list! Especially seeing the data that applications to A/I were up almost 20% this year 😳

Reactions: 1 users
This thread has been dead for awhile… but now that most people are done with interviews, how is everyone feeling? I’m really stressed about the rank list! Especially seeing the data that applications to A/I were up almost 20% this year 😳
Do you think programs gave out more interviews given there were more applicants? Or is the old rule of 10-12 interviews to have a very high chance to match still hold?

Just certified my list yesterday. Honestly feeling excited but pretty stressed at how the Match will go. Has anyone heard from programs post-interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just certified my list yesterday. Honestly feeling excited but pretty stressed at how the Match will go. Has anyone heard from programs post-interview?
I haven’t heard anything. Kinda nervous bc I only had 9 interviews.

did anyone write a letter of intent post interview?

Were interviews all in person this year or still virtual?

Being nervous about having "only" 9 interviews seems silly if they were in person but being nervous in general is natural. I guess if they were all virtual, the avg number of interviews per applicant is a little higher. Overall, I'd say that's a very comfortable number. I only did 10 and I would not have had any time in residency to attend any more. The whole match thing is always a nerve racking process.

I think it can only help you to send post-interview communication. No shame in telling your number 1 that they're your number 1. Don't lie and tell everyone that though. Sending a nice post interview communication may be helpful, something along the lines of "thank you...I really loved your program and I think it would be a great fit for me." or even a little personal note or drop a hint about how you have family in that city or whatever. Something that is kind and helps them think of you but not like groveling or pathetic or fake. You'd be surprised how unmemorable even good applicants are after you interview enough of them. In my limited (two years) experience of ranking applicants, I found that there is probably 2 you'd put right at the bottom and 2 you'd put right at the top and then the middle of all that is like ...meh they seemed nice. So a simple thank you email/letter might have easily made me be like "sure, i'll put you at the third spot." If I didn't like you to begin with, a thank you email isn't gonna make me rank you any higher. If I already thought you were nice but maybe a little bland, a thank you email isn't gonna make me drop you but it might make me put you above the other applicants I already forgot about. For reference, I was an applicant during in person interviews and then a fellow ranking applicants during virtual interviews. Interviewing people virtually makes it much easier to forget them.

Best of luck to all of you. I'm very grateful to be done "matching."

Reactions: 3 users
Where can you see the data for the # of applicants?!

Were interviews all in person this year or still virtual?

Being nervous about having "only" 9 interviews seems silly if they were in person but being nervous in general is natural. I guess if they were all virtual, the avg number of interviews per applicant is a little higher. Overall, I'd say that's a very comfortable number. I only did 10 and I would not have had any time in residency to attend any more. The whole match thing is always a nerve racking process.

I think it can only help you to send post-interview communication. No shame in telling your number 1 that they're your number 1. Don't lie and tell everyone that though. Sending a nice post interview communication may be helpful, something along the lines of "thank you...I really loved your program and I think it would be a great fit for me." or even a little personal note or drop a hint about how you have family in that city or whatever. Something that is kind and helps them think of you but not like groveling or pathetic or fake. You'd be surprised how unmemorable even good applicants are after you interview enough of them. In my limited (two years) experience of ranking applicants, I found that there is probably 2 you'd put right at the bottom and 2 you'd put right at the top and then the middle of all that is like ...meh they seemed nice. So a simple thank you email/letter might have easily made me be like "sure, i'll put you at the third spot." If I didn't like you to begin with, a thank you email isn't gonna make me rank you any higher. If I already thought you were nice but maybe a little bland, a thank you email isn't gonna make me drop you but it might make me put you above the other applicants I already forgot about. For reference, I was an applicant during in person interviews and then a fellow ranking applicants during virtual interviews. Interviewing people virtually makes it much easier to forget them.

Best of luck to all of you. I'm very grateful to be done "matching."
most interviews were virtual but not all

Would anyone be able to comment on how people find or get academic jobs in AI? Do people only look at AAAAI job listings or are jobs advertised also by word of mouth etc?

Would anyone be able to comment on how people find or get academic jobs in AI? Do people only look at AAAAI job listings or are jobs advertised also by word of mouth etc?
The place I trained hired internally, ie graduating fellows. I imagine this is common since you have a known entity and often a fellow intending on joining academics will be already developing research endeavors and trying to procure funding, etc. I'm sure hiring rising fellows is common in most institutions. Now I will say that I was at a large institution that also was trying to hire more of just a clinical allergist and they literally just posted the job on AAAAI's site like any other company.

The place I trained hired internally, ie graduating fellows. I imagine this is common since you have a known entity and often a fellow intending on joining academics will be already developing research endeavors and trying to procure funding, etc. I'm sure hiring rising fellows is common in most institutions. Now I will say that I was at a large institution that also was trying to hire more of just a clinical allergist and they literally just posted the job on AAAAI's site like any other company.

Do you know how difficult it is to get an academic job at a different institution than you originally trained for fellowship? (Assuming you go to an equally academic fellowship program)

I guess another question I’m wondering is if there is some self selection to fellows who prefer to stay to work as an attending at their home institution. Or AI programs seem to almost exclusively prefer to hire their own fellows rather than hiring outside fellows (despite equally great or greater qualifications).

Last edited:
Do you know how difficult it is to get an academic job at a different institution than you originally trained for fellowship? (Assuming you go to an equally academic fellowship program)

I guess another question I’m wondering is if there is some self selection to fellows who prefer to stay to work as an attending at their home institution. Or AI programs seem to almost exclusively prefer to hire their own fellows rather than hiring outside fellows (despite equally great or greater qualifications).
I don't know how you'd measure that. Getting jobs is different than matching somewhere. You just interview somewhere and both parties decide if the fit is good. Homefield advantage is typically a plus and a fellow might actually have a job/position "created" for them if they really want to stay. You've got to understand the term "academics" is broad. There's a couple key points. Most a/i fellows go into PP because it's more lucrative and the lifestyle is still great. There are academic docs who have grant funding, a lab, are prolific with publications, and maybe filling some key position in a university. There's the young eager doc who is aggressively trying to build an academic career. Then there's this "clinical educator" type role which essentially is some doc who is perpetually employed without much upward trajectory potential. The latter is not a competitive position.

In short, if you legit want to stay in academics, I don't think you have to worry about not being competitive for the role.

has anyone gotten post interview communication back from programs?

Adding SUNY Downstate IM as well

7/20 - MCG (IM)
7/21 - Rush (IM)
7/26 - UW Madison (IM)
7/29 - NJH (IM)
8/10 - JHU (IM)
8/19 - UNC (IM/P)
8/31 - Brown (P)
9/2 - JHU (P)
9/9 - CHOP (P)
9/13 - NJH (P)
9/27 - SUNY Downstate (P/IM)

Rejections:
8/7 - Colorado (P)
8/16 - NIH (IM)
8/17 - Nebraska (IM)
9/5 - Duke (IM)
9/28 - Baylor
sorry if this is a stupid question but are these a list of all the invites you got? is it normal to have this many? if so can I PM you

Yeah, I havent been able to find any data. Not sure where that poster saw this. Would be helpful to see.

A/I had 254 applicants this year, up from 216 last year and 193 two years ago. Interestingly, it seems to be the only subspecialty with such a big increase in the last few years.

As a pediatrician, we are always hearing about how competitive PEM is, but it has had a huge drop-off, maybe mirroring the national decrease in interest in EM? Peds GI and peds heme-onc have had little dips, but nothing like PEM. All the adult specialties I looked at seem relatively stable, so it really seems like A/I is the outlier.

A/I had 254 applicants this year, up from 216 last year and 193 two years ago. Interestingly, it seems to be the only subspecialty with such a big increase in the last few years.

As a pediatrician, we are always hearing about how competitive PEM is, but it has had a huge drop-off, maybe mirroring the national decrease in interest in EM? Peds GI and peds heme-onc have had little dips, but nothing like PEM. All the adult specialties I looked at seem relatively stable, so it really seems like A/I is the outlier.
Thanks for the information. This really scares me now. I wonder if programs gave out more interviews also?

It would be interesting to see the percentage of peds vs adult applicants. It would seem like a slam dunk coming from the peds world. I'm not that well versed in peds subspecialties but A/I is one that allows you to make good money, have a good lifestyle, happy patients, and be able to go work in some random suburb without being tied to a major hospital...which is desirable for those of us who just want to raise a family in the burbs and not be tied to some major institution. In the adult world, there are plenty of subspecialties that are very lucrative and offer geographic flexibility. Many other adult subspecialties also have way more exposure to trainees and applicants for a number of reasons. A/I remains sort of a hidden gem save for those with some kind of connection to it or the crowd that neurotically found its way to SDN early on.

My spouse and many friends are EM and it's pretty easy to see why that field is becoming far less desirable, I'm sure that reflects on PEM as well. PEM docs also have the additional constraint of essentially only being able to work at a Children's hospital.

how are you guys ranking 3 yr vs 2 yr programs
I would suggest ranking 2yr above 3yr unless you have a very specific plan for a project at a specific 3yr program. If you foresee yourself doing more than 25% clinical time (limits of NIH T32), then you are likely being underpaid for your expertise during that mandatory 3rd year.

It’s the week! How’s everyone feeling? I’m stressed 😩

Reactions: 3 users
Good luck guys! Yeah I’m starting to get super stressed bc of the increase in applicants this year. No idea how many interviews was safe.

Best of luck, everyone! I hope people don't get discouraged if they drop down their list a bit. I matched at my 4th rank and we ended up absolutely loving living in the city we moved to.

Reactions: 4 users
Possibly lower board scores? All I can think of. I might try to do some more research and try one more time next year.
Sounds like a great plan! Cant speak for A/I specifically but not totally uncommon to match after re-applying after taking a year to strengthen the app regardless of the subspecialty. Rootin for ya!