2020-2021 North Dakota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of North Dakota

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! Can you please post the prompts?

Looks like they are each 600 words.

The primary purpose of the UND SMHS is to educate physicians and other health professionals for subsequent service in North Dakota and to enhance the quality of life of its people." Given the purpose of the School, please explain how you will fulfill this mission.

Reflect on personal experiences of resilience and emotional intelligence throughout life and how has this prepared you in your pursuit of medicine.

Describe your experiences with diverse populations. Examples include a summary of a volunteer experience, study abroad, employment, or a formal course on diversity that includes direct interaction with individuals or groups from socio-economic, cultural, geographic, rural, or other backgrounds different from your own.

Describe your research or creative activity. Examples include the outcome of a formal research experience, course-dependent undergraduate research, thesis, capstone, senior recital, performance, debate, product creation or any other major production or installation.

Expand and reflect on medical and/or clinical experience as it relates to the mission of the School of Medicine & Health Sciences. This may include a summary of physician shadowing, clinical observation, community service, volunteer work, and/or employment. Examples include, but are not limited to, work in a clinic, hospital, as a first responder, clinical lab, public health, home health visits, assisted living, nursing home care, youth camps, or relevant military duty.

What are your career plans if you do not ever get admitted to medical school?

Looks like they are each 600 words.

The primary purpose of the UND SMHS is to educate physicians and other health professionals for subsequent service in North Dakota and to enhance the quality of life of its people." Given the purpose of the School, please explain how you will fulfill this mission.

Reflect on personal experiences of resilience and emotional intelligence throughout life and how has this prepared you in your pursuit of medicine.

Describe your experiences with diverse populations. Examples include a summary of a volunteer experience, study abroad, employment, or a formal course on diversity that includes direct interaction with individuals or groups from socio-economic, cultural, geographic, rural, or other backgrounds different from your own.

Describe your research or creative activity. Examples include the outcome of a formal research experience, course-dependent undergraduate research, thesis, capstone, senior recital, performance, debate, product creation or any other major production or installation.

Expand and reflect on medical and/or clinical experience as it relates to the mission of the School of Medicine & Health Sciences. This may include a summary of physician shadowing, clinical observation, community service, volunteer work, and/or employment. Examples include, but are not limited to, work in a clinic, hospital, as a first responder, clinical lab, public health, home health visits, assisted living, nursing home care, youth camps, or relevant military duty.

What are your career plans if you do not ever get admitted to medical school?
Heads up- It's 600 CHARACTERS, not words. I would just hate for you to have all the essays complete with 600 words and need to essentially start over.

Reactions: 2 users
Heads up- It's 600 CHARACTERS, not words. I would just hate for you to have all the essays complete with 600 words and need to essentially start over.
Yes. Found this out the hard way. Yikes!

Is it worth completing/submitting the secondary if I have zero connections/ties to the state? I know their website says they give preference to in-state residents, but does anyone know to what extent?

Also, my stats aren't anything spectacular.

Reactions: 1 user
How are y'all approaching the resiliency question? I'm struggling to figure fit how an adverse situation influenced my path to medicine in a 600 character paragraph.

Fyi, just received a pre-II rejection email :(

(OOS- no ties whatsoever and not great stats)

Wishing the rest of you best of luck!

Any advice on how to answer "What are your career plans if you do not ever get admitted to medical school?"

Usually, these types of questions ask what I would do if I don't get accepted this year, but this asks what I would do if I never get accepted. How should I answer this? Should I list my alternate career plan in public health or do they want me to show that I am committed to medicine?

Hi all! I submitted my secondary this week, and then got a response saying my application is incomplete. My LORs and MCAT are in thru AMCAS, and my secondary and the fee were complete through the portal. Anyone else have this experience? How quickly did it change? Thanks in advance, and good luck to all!!

Anyone know if any interview invites have been sent out yet?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First R of this cycle, OOS(MN resident), received the email this morning. Good luck everyone! :)

First R of this cycle, OOS(MN resident), received the email this morning. Good luck everyone! :)
Sorry to hear that, good luck with your other applications! Would you mind sharing when you were complete and gpa/MCAT?

Also received the R yesterday. OOS(MN resident) with no ties and was kind of expected. Good luck to everyone else through all of this!

II today! OOS secondary complete mid August. Schedule for 11/13 as well :)

II! OOS secondary completed early September. Scheduled for 11/14

How long did it take you guys to get the complete Email after submitting secondary?

How long did it take you guys to get the complete Email after submitting secondary?
I received my complete email a couple of weeks after submitting the secondary. However, this was also the day after my final letter writer submitted their LOR on my behalf. Hope that helps :)

Current MS1 - I'd be happy to answer any questions about UND whether it be classes, schedules, typical day, social life, staff, etc. Good luck to everyone applying!

Rejected pre-interview just now - Minnesota resident, 3.59 cGPA, MCAT 507, LM 65. Completed secondary on 10/9/20. Good luck everyone!

For those of you who have scheduled your interview, have you received any email saying the day/time of the interview slot you picked? I picked my day and time but can’t seem to find it anywhere and am questions if I remember the correct time.

For those of you who have scheduled your interview, have you received any email saying the day/time of the interview slot you picked? I picked my day and time but can’t seem to find it anywhere and am questions if I remember the correct time.
I did not receive an email confirming my time selection... I did, however, receive an email detailing interview information as well as a request to sign an NDA.
Bottom line, I'm sure you've got the correct time. Good Luck with your interview!

Current MS1 - I'd be happy to answer any questions about UND whether it be classes, schedules, typical day, social life, staff, etc. Good luck to everyone applying!
Thank you for doing this! How do you like living in Grand Forks? I'm not very familiar with the city and I was wondering what kinda stuff there is to do during your free time (if any).

For anyone who has interviewed, did you happen to get any information on timeline post interview? I know the website says they will email end of January, but will have rolling admissions until then. Just wondering if they have a set date where they will start sending emails before then.

For anyone who has interviewed, did you happen to get any information on timeline post interview? I know the website says they will email end of January, but will have rolling admissions until then. Just wondering if they have a set date where they will start sending emails before then.
I asked what the timeline looked like and they basically said that this past weekend was the first weekend of interviews and once they’re all done (January) then we could expect something. But I did see the rolling admissions thing as well so I don’t know if that is only specifically for North Dakotans?

Thank you for doing this! How do you like living in Grand Forks? I'm not very familiar with the city and I was wondering what kinda stuff there is to do during your free time (if any).
Good morning! I apologize - I am just seeing this! I enjoy living in Grand Forks. I think it has a good amount of shops/restaurants downtown that I think are fun to go to. Usually in my time off I will go downtown and find a rooftop place (usually rhombus guys) to go eat at so I can sit in the sun. Now since it is getting colder I like to go to one of the coffee shops and sit and relax. Some of my classmates are more extroverted and according to them the bar scene is nice - all the bars downtown are in close proximity so if you're a pub crawl kind of person GF has got your back. There are also a good amount of walking/biking trials that I like to go on and rollerblade or ride bike. A big thing that a lot of people love about GF is that it is a "hockey town" - the UND Fighting Hawks hockey team is SO fun to go watch - it is easily my favorite. The atmosphere is unmatched and the arena where the events take place (Ralph Engelstad Arena) is also super nice. After the hockey games, which are a blast, people will usually go downtown and literally all of downtown is PAINTED with UND green. It's awesome. Obviously, this year with COVID almost none of what I just said has been able to happen, but in a normal year - its a good time! I would say on average students will take off one to two nights a week to have some fun - depends on how challenging the material is for that testing period.

• Love
II earlier today!! OOS (MN)
3.5 GPA
511 MCAT
Extensive research and clinical experiences
Secondary submitted in August

Does anyone who has already interviewed have any advice?

Hi! Does anyone know if there are information sessions before or after the interview or is it just the interview?
Hello mnva, there was no information session during my interview day (11/13). But there was a Q/A session with MS4's starting at 13:00 which I found to be very helpful. Good luck with your interview!

Anyone think we'll hear anything back post II before holiday break??

At my interview I was told I’d hear back in January. But based on last years thread the first decisions came out Dec. 12th so who knows.

I forgot to ask about admissions decisions, but I did some searching on their website and it mentioned all decisions would be released at the end of January. However, they were able to admit students on a rolling basis up until then that meet a "certain selection criteria." I don't know if this means they are a really strong applicant or if it means they are a great fit for one of their programs (WICHE, etc) or from ND. Your guess is as good as mine. Honestly, it would be so nice to hear before the holidays.. I interviewed early November and the anticipation is killing me.