2020-2021 University of Puerto Rico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheDataKing

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please tag a pre-allo moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: University of Puerto Rico

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
None of the schools here at Puerto Rico will send secondaries any time soon. Probably around September. Also, the only school that has questions in their secondary is Caguas. The rest is just filling out information about yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
None of the schools here at Puerto Rico will send secondaries any time soon. Probably around September. Also, the only school that has questions in their secondary is Caguas. The rest is just filling out information about yourself.
I haven't received anything from Caguas.

MCATBros posted a picture with Puerto Rico MD medical Schools average stats:

School: MCAT/cGPA/sGPA

Ponce: 499/3.65/3.53
UCC: 499/3.77/3.66
SJB: 498/3.65/3.52
UPR: 503/3.77/3.68

Again, these are average stats and not median scores. Outliers could affect these numbers.

Hi! Future MS1 here. I wish you all the best of lucks in this process.

I know it's still early, but I wanted to hop on and give you guys some pointers that I wished I'd known when I was applying to UPR-SOM.
It took me a while to disvover SDN, so kudos to all of you who are already here.

1. Submit applications as early as possible. Don't wait too long to do it as it can delay your interview and acceptance.

2. With COVID-19 disrupting in-person services across the UPR system and many other universities, I'm not aware how LORs will be managed. UPR-SOM demands that students submit their LORs via mail since they don't use the AMCAS LOR system. Because of this, I strongly encourage everybody to contact professors as early as possible so you can get all the letters you need prior to the deadline date. Missing documentation will delay the processing of your record at the school. Even if the process is moved online, as the semester kicks in, professors have less time to sit down and work on letters, so try to catch them before tests and projects begin.

3. Write your AMCAS personal comments essay with time and have it peer reviewed by professors or mentors, if possible. Allow yourself time to work on it and improve it prior to submission. Remember this is the essay where you explain why medicine is the career path for you. Dig deep inside yourselves to understand your motivations for applying to medical school.

4. UPR-SOM requires that candidates bring a porfolio to the interview process. The portfolio is something you should focus on ONCE you are done with your applications. I will link a video from another MS1 student, Tatiana Polanco, where she goes into detail on what the portfolio should have prior to the interview date. This is a general guide, you don't have to make yours look exactly like hers.

Throughout the semester more people will join the thread and more questions will come up, but for now I hope this will help some of you. Feel free to ask anything that you would like to know. Again, I wish you the best of lucks and don't let the COVID-19 pandemic lead you astray from your dreams!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi! Can someone clarify, are pre med committee letters accepted? Or is it required for each recommender to fill out the form they sent out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone knows how they are handling the portfolio part with virtual interviews?
Also, any updates on the school thus far?

I have a competitive GPA (3.95) but a below average MCAT (498). Idk if I have any chance of getting in. (In-state student).

Thankss

Does anyone knows how they are handling the portfolio part with virtual interviews?

I have a competitive GPA (3.95) but a below average MCAT (498). Idk if I have any chance of getting in. (In-state student).

Thankss
Really depends on the Cars score. I know people last year with 498-500 with high gpa that were offer interview. They had around 123-125 in cars

interviews invites will start in late December or January, Admissions is a little Slow because of covid

Last edited:

Thankss
Based on what the admission committee told me back in October; with the lower MCATs (498-500) they consider you if you have +125 CARS then you have a chance. If you have 123-125 the chances are slim but don’t lose hope bc it’s an odd year and anything could happen.
Lower than 123 CARS for them it’s a no (given you have 498-500 total)

Thankss
I’m a current MS1 at RCM, and I can assure you, you have a chance. I had the same GPA as you, scored 500 (CARS: 124) on the MCAT (didn’t study at all and just did my best on test day). Even though my application went through way later than it should’ve, I still got an II. So it is possible. It will depend on the pool of candidates this year, and how appealing your aplication is, scores aside (research, extracurriculars, essay, LoRs).

If you get an II, make sure to sell the hell out of yourself. It’s your one chance to really show them you are what they are looking for. Given your GPA, it’s likely that they will ask you about the MCAT (happened to me in two different interviews), so make sure you can answer why you got an average or below average score.

Last edited:
Do you have to complete the UPR RCM "unique application" even if you are a non-resident? The website is very vague. Applied in October and still haven't heard anything yet. Not even a recept email!

Do you have to complete the UPR RCM "unique application" even if you are a non-resident? The website is very vague. Applied in October and still haven't heard anything yet. Not even a recept email!
the link is on their website. the deadline is Jan 4, i think.

Hey everyone! Has anyone heard anything about interviews yet?

I just received my interview invitation yesterday so maybe you’ll hear from them soon!
I thought they released all interview invites at the same time! Hopefully not, fingers crossed 🤞🏽

Hey y'all! I received an interview invite Jan 20. The email said I would receive the exact time and date within a week but I haven't gotten anything yet.

for reference: MCAT 513 (127/128/129/129) GPA 3.90

Hey! Did you manage to finally interview?

Hey y'all! I received an interview invite Jan 20. The email said I would receive the exact time and date within a week but I haven't gotten anything yet.

for reference: MCAT 513 (127/128/129/129) GPA 3.90

To those that interviewed today: I hope everything went well!

I just received the interview invite saying they'll update me with the date and time in the "upcoming weeks"

Reactions: 2 users

I just received the interview invite saying they'll update me with the date and time in the "upcoming weeks"
+1 I received an invite today

Congratulations! Do you mind sharing stats?

Last edited:
Cómo se manejó la situación del portafolio? Tuviste que hacer uno digital?
En el email de seleccion de entrevista me pidieron que llenara un waiver, enviaron unas instrucciones para la entrevista por zoom y pidieron que enviara el portafolio en formato digital (un pdf, basicamente)

Reactions: 1 users
Luego de la entrevista, saben cuánto toma para que les dejen saber si les aceptaron o no?

Alguien esta igual que yo, esperando a que manden el email con fecha y hora para la entrevista? Recibí un email el 5 de febrero invitándome pero que en las próximas semanas se estarán coordinando.

Se supone que te digan en breve. Las entrevistas hasta donde tengo entendido comenzaron el 5 de febrero. A mí me notificaron que me entrevistarían el 20 de enero y me entrevistaron aproximadamente 20 días luego. Se supone que en estos días te notifiquen sobre fecha de entrevista. Pendiente al e-mail.
Alguien esta igual que yo, esperando a que manden el email con fecha y hora para la entrevista? Recibí un email el 5 de febrero invitándome pero que en las próximas semanas se estarán coordinando.

Wow! La cosa está lenta. Ellos me habían dicho que el proceso de admisión era hasta el 30 de marzo. Yo creo que esto va para largo, me huele que este proceso se va a terminar en abril o en mayo. Nos avisa si te mandan un “update email” con la fecha de tu entrevista. Éxito!

Wow! La cosa está lenta. Ellos me habían dicho que el proceso de admisión era hasta el 30 de marzo. Yo creo que esto va para largo, me huele que este proceso se va a terminar en abril o en mayo. Nos avisa si te mandan un “update email” con la fecha de tu entrevista. Éxito!
Se me cae todo el pelo de aquí a mayo... Y eso que RCM es de las primeras, las otras en PR hasta Junio será 😂

Es que RCM por lo que he visto no han aceptado a nadie y con las entrevistas tardan en decirte fecha y hora. Por lo menos Ponce y SJB están aceptando a estudiantes o los ponen en waitlist. Ósea, hay feedback.

Pero el estrés está inmenso para todas las escuelas. Me tienen neurótico también 😂👌🏽

Se me cae todo el pelo de aquí a mayo... Y eso que RCM es de las primeras, las otras en PR hasta Junio será 😂

Reactions: 1 users
Es que RCM por lo que he visto no han aceptado a nadie y con las entrevistas tardan en decirte fecha y hora. Por lo menos Ponce y SJB están aceptando a estudiantes o los ponen en waitlist. Ósea, hay feedback.

Pero el estrés está inmenso para todas las escuelas. Me tienen neurótico también 😂👌🏽
Yo pensaba que RCM estaba trabajando las admisiones mientras entrevistaban. Entonces le enviarán la decisión a todo el mundo simultáneamente?

+1

Ya que yo pasé por la entrevista, si tienen alguna pregunta sobre todo el proceso de aplicación, en confianza escríbanme por privado y les comparto mi # telefónico. Ayudaría tener comunicación con otros aplicantes de igual manera.

Ya que yo pasé por la entrevista, si tienen alguna pregunta sobre todo el proceso de aplicación, en confianza escríbanme por privado y les comparto mi # telefónico. Ayudaría tener comunicación con otros aplicantes de igual manera.
Gracias! De hecho hoy mismo me llego la fecha de entrevista