2020 Nontrad Acceptance Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gramnegative

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is there any interest in a acceptance thread for this year? These were some of the most inspiring threads to me when I was grinding through my pre-reqs.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I'd be interested to hear from others. I got my first acceptance a little over a week ago.

Reactions: 1 users
Case Western - gramnegative
Cinci - gramnegative
Dartmouth - gramnegative
Sidney Kimmel - gramnegative
UMD - gramnegative
Wayne State - gramnegative

==============Update Instructions==============

1. Click "QUOTE" in THE MOST RECENT LIST.
2. Remove the quote tags at the beginning and end of the message. Those are the (QUOTE=username;123456) and (/QUOTE) but with brackets in place of the parentheses.
3. Add yourself. (If you're adding a school, add it in alphabetical order.)
4. If you think you might mess it up, just ask to be added!
5. Bold your name after adding, and remove the bolding from any previous names.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any interest in a acceptance thread for this year? These were some of the most inspiring threads to me when I was grinding through my pre-reqs.
I'm an OMS-1 non-trad, haven't been on these forums in awhile but like the non trad forums to spread positivity. You will get in eventually, there is hope! Med school is everything you've dreamed it to be and MORE. Good luck and congratulations on the acceptances that you have received and hang tight for those of you still waiting.

Reactions: 4 users
I failed out on a couple cycles during/after college, ended up taking about 6 years off to focus on my personal life and was accepted this cycle at my top choice program.

Reactions: 5 users
Accepted at Michigan State (COM), South Carolina, Wake Forest, Mizzou, NEOMED, EVMS and UVA

Stats: 3.31 (Biochem at a large state school in the midwest), 509, URM, VA resident, Non-traditional (obtained my Bachelor's in 2009).
Started a scholarship geared towards at-risk youth while I was in college and has been going strong ever since. Have been serving as a Surface Warfare Officer in the Navy since graduating (going on 12 years). Also have a elementary-aged son with cerebral palsy.

Not much clinical volunteer work but I mentioned the requirements in caring for my son in my personal statement, in terms of administering medication, transport, experience with Medicare and various medical specialties. I also requested his Physiatrist write me a letter of recommendation atesting to everything involved in his care. Most interviewers I've had throughout the process have mentioned the impact of my personal statement, which I believe made up for my GPA.

Last edited:
37 year old nontrad here. 516 MCAT, 3.84 undergrad cgpa, 3.76 undergrad sgpa, 4.0 graduate gpa, MPH Epidemiology with global health and infectious disease concentrations, strong ECs. Accepted at:

PLFSOM, ARCOM, CCOM, NYITCOM Jonesboro, PCOM Georgia, Western COMP, UIWSOM, SHSU, AZCOM so far. Still waiting on results of Texas match including three schools ranked higher than Texas Tech Foster in El Paso, and awaiting results from Baylor, and upcoming interviews at VCOM Louisiana (my family is from Monroe and I'm only second generation college student, while grandfather had a second grade education - I'm interviewing because it means a lot to my family to know a family member was interviewed/ possibly accepted there, even if I don't go. Legacy for the next generation) and TCU-UNT. I guess I did alright for a nontrad!

Last edited:
28 y/o nontrad. 507 MCAT, 2.89 sgpa (4.0 postbacc with 27 hours), 3.06 gpa (4.0 postbacc/34 hours).

Majored in engineering -> Active Duty Engineer Officer (with medical platoon experience) -> aerospace engineering

Accepted at:
UWSOM, ESFCOM at WSU, PNWU-COM

To all the haters and the ones doubting their less than ideal GPA created by less than mature selves....IT IS POSSIBLE!

Reactions: 11 users
I’m a 34 year old nontrad with over 10 years of nursing experience and was accepted to my top choice! It’s my only acceptance so far, so that worked out pretty well for me.

30 year old social worker accepted to my top choice state school MD program that I never thought would look at me. 509 MCAT 3.5 ish sGPA after a DIY post bac and 3.0 ish cGPA due to basically no classes I can take moves the needle anymore.

I always thought I would be going DO because of my lower gpa and the school that I thought I had a chance at hasn’t given me any correspondence at all so I’m thrilled to have my acceptance and am very humble/grateful.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
30 yr old PA-C accepted to one MD and waitlisted at 3 others. Awaiting decision from top choice this Friday! 3.51 uGPA, 3.62 Master's GPA, 503 MCAT. Was definitely worried about my MCAT but COVID times may have helped my hardship/story since I took it last year. But glad I'll be doing MD regardless in the fall!

Last edited:
  • Love
509 MCAT, 3.8 GPA, 3.9 sGPA.
Accepted to UConn, Quinnipiac, ETSU Quillen, Wright State Boonshoft, NEOMed, NYMC, Drexel, Temple Lewis Katz, Albany, UNECOM, NYIT, and expecting acceptances at Geisinger, Penn State, LECOM.
Turned down interviews at USUHS, TCU & UNTHSC, Morehouse, Touro NY, and PCOM.
No waitlists/holds but rejected from Michigan State.

I almost didn't apply this cycle because I was nervous my MCAT was too poor but now I just wish I applied to higher tier schools. Got multiple full ride offers as well.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
27 y/o Non-trad - student-athlete
Immigrant - First in the family to attend college
3.2 undegrad gpa, 3.89 masters GPA (60hrs), 4.0 DIY post bacc GPA (28 hrs)- Cum 3.44 Undergrad Gpa.
Wrote the MCAT multiple times - lowest 492 highest 509

Spent the years between my masters, which was right after undergrad, till now working various health-related / community jobs.

2 application cycles
1st - Applied to 5 MD schools. II - 1 -> waitlisted
2nd- Applied 19 MD, 5 DO. Received 3 II - 2 DO, 1 MD. Accepted at MD - Top 40 school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Mid thirty,
3.8+ GPA ( 3.9+ SGPA), 519 MCAT
Accepted to UMich, Case western, Rochester, Downstate, Upstate, and Hofstra

Last edited:
37 year old nontrad here. 516 MCAT, 3.84 undergrad cgpa, 3.76 undergrad sgpa, 4.0 graduate gpa, MPH Epidemiology with global health and infectious disease concentrations, strong ECs. Accepted at:

PLFSOM, ARCOM, CCOM, NYITCOM Jonesboro, PCOM Georgia, Western COMP, UIWSOM, SHSU, AZCOM so far. Still waiting on results of Texas match including three schools ranked higher than Texas Tech Foster in El Paso, and awaiting results from Baylor, and upcoming interviews at VCOM Louisiana (my family is from Monroe and I'm only second generation college student, while grandfather had a second grade education - I'm interviewing because it means a lot to my family to know a family member was interviewed/ possibly accepted there, even if I don't go. Legacy for the next generation) and TCU-UNT. I guess I did alright for a nontrad!
I now get to add UTMB (where I'll be attending), VCOM-LA, and MSUCOM to this list!

Reactions: 1 user
Winning The Office GIF

Congratulations, everyone!!! This road is hard as hell, and you did it!!!

• Love
I got into ACOM off the waitlist Monday!

35yo mom of 4 with a career in clinical research and a less-than-stellar undergrad GPA. I’m so glad they looked beyond the numbers and saw what I have to offer. I couldn’t be more excited!

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I commented on this thread over a year ago, thought that I'd come back to give support. I'm a current first year student (non-trad) who didn't come from a traditional science background and am in the top 20% of my med school class and life is very good. You guys/girls CAN do this! Med school starts rough, but you'll figure out how to handle it. Good luck although you won't need it! Hopefully everyone else who is still waiting will get that acceptance whether it be this year, or next cycle. <3

Last edited:
Dude, just came here to vent about the whole "waitlist movement can occur up until first day of classes" bit. Like, dude, some of us are having to uproot our families and careers. How bout you give us 5 minutes to get moved and settled? Got several A's OOS but waiting on that one IS that's keeping me on the back burner.

iu.png

• Care
Dude, just came here to vent about the whole "waitlist movement can occur up until first day of classes" bit. Like, dude, some of us are having to uproot our families and careers. How bout you give us 5 minutes to get moved and settled? Got several A's OOS but waiting on that one IS that's keeping me on the back burner.

View attachment 334833
I do know a guy that was accepted to a school OOS, moved there with his wife into an apartment, got the acceptance at his first choice one week before classes started, had to pay a cancellation fee on the apartment he had moved into as well as lost the deposit he gave to the school and then moved back across the country to where he originally started from. Lost 5-8k just from that process.

• Wow
I do know a guy that was accepted to a school OOS, moved there with his wife into an apartment, got the acceptance at his first choice one week before classes started, had to pay a cancellation fee on the apartment he had moved into as well as lost the deposit he gave to the school and then moved back across the country to where he originally started from. Lost 5-8k just from that process.
I'm waiting to hear from one more interview, and I'm so afraid of this. I'm waiting until May 1 to sign a lease, if I don't hear, I'll go to the school where I put down my deposit and not look back, but the one I'm waiting on would be a better fit, I think, so it's the waiting game.

Ah man makes my stomach turn. Interestingly the tuition difference would still make doing that "worth it" for me in theory, however, I doubt I'd have the liquid capital to actually manage it. Hope/glad that it was worth it for your friend in the end!

42 year old Nurse with MPH. Mom of 2 (including a rising HS Freshman). Accepted to OHSU this week. Working on moving my family back to Portland (home for husband and I) finding a High School for my daughter.

This was my fifth application cycle, and I finally had success. I had four interviews and three acceptances plus one waitlist. Accepted at Nova Southeastern, LUCOM, and NYITCOM-AR. I was waitlisted at LMU-DCOM. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to start medical school in the fall.

• Love
This was my fifth application cycle, and I finally had success. I had four interviews and three acceptances plus one waitlist. Accepted at Nova Southeastern, LUCOM, and NYITCOM-AR. I was waitlisted at LMU-DCOM. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to start medical school in the fall.
Congrats! Where did you pick?

32 year old former Paramedic for 6 years and Nurse for 5 years accepted this cycle.

42 year old Nurse with MPH. Mom of 2 (including a rising HS Freshman). Accepted to OHSU this week. Working on moving my family back to Portland (home for husband and I) finding a High School for my daughter.
Congratulations! So inspiring. I'm also 42 and a nurse. Will be applying next year.

Non-traditional, applied to MSTPs. I'm juggling waitlists. Posting to remind myself to contribute once I finalize where I'm going.