2020 oral boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They should do what Canada did!! Whoever passed the written exams got certified.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
Canada: Here you go fam, we appreciate you

ABA: We will try our best to get you scheduled for oral boards before year 2053

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That didn't happen.
Orals were canned for this but writtens haven't happened for anyone yet.

Plan to deliver the spring 2020 written exams this fall
On April 9, 2020, the Royal College announced its four-point plan to deliver the spring 2020 exams this fall, in response to these extraordinary times:

• Oral exams will not be required for the spring 2020 cohort. The spring 2020 candidates will not need to complete the oral component of the comprehensive exam.

The written exam format (MCQ, SAQ) and length will be unchanged and continues to be based on the objectives of training of the discipline.
  • Update on the fall 2020 subspecialty exams
  • The Royal College will extend its four-point plan from spring examinationsto the fall 2020 comprehensive subspecialty exams. This decision applies to all candidates in the 11 affected subspecialties who are eligible for the fall 2020 exams, regardless of training (i.e. international medical graduates and U.S. graduates for the subspecialty examination affiliate program (SEAP) designation).
    1. Applied exams will not be required for fall 2020 candidates who are in disciplines with a comprehensive exam. You will be required to take only the written component.
    2. Fees for the oral exam will be refunded to you. We will reimburse your oral exam fee as quickly as possible. We will expedite these refunds to get the $2,215 fee back to you within the next 60 days, which will be refunded to your credit card.

Reactions: 5 users

Plan to deliver the spring 2020 written exams this fall
On April 9, 2020, the Royal College announced its four-point plan to deliver the spring 2020 exams this fall, in response to these extraordinary times:

• Oral exams will not be required for the spring 2020 cohort. The spring 2020 candidates will not need to complete the oral component of the comprehensive exam.

The written exam format (MCQ, SAQ) and length will be unchanged and continues to be based on the objectives of training of the discipline.
  • Update on the fall 2020 subspecialty exams
  • The Royal College will extend its four-point plan from spring examinationsto the fall 2020 comprehensive subspecialty exams. This decision applies to all candidates in the 11 affected subspecialties who are eligible for the fall 2020 exams, regardless of training (i.e. international medical graduates and U.S. graduates for the subspecialty examination affiliate program (SEAP) designation).
    1. Applied exams will not be required for fall 2020 candidates who are in disciplines with a comprehensive exam. You will be required to take only the written component.
    2. Fees for the oral exam will be refunded to you. We will reimburse your oral exam fee as quickly as possible. We will expedite these refunds to get the $2,215 fee back to you within the next 60 days, which will be refunded to your credit card.
Petition?

Reactions: 1 users
Petition?

Just an update for those not taking the exam but following the thread out of curiousity...

The ABA announced they are proceeding with the exam in July with distancing measures. 2020 candidates are allowed to postpone boards based on our own personal assessments. Cancellation fees will be waived.

If future of covid precludes in person exams they will consider transitioning to virtual exams. Their goal is to get everyone through the exam by the end of 2021.

In my opinion, if we have a second wave that’s worse than the first and it’s truly dangerous to travel, I think virtual exams would be a consideration. I think their response so far has been appropriate. I wouldn’t complain if they axed orals altogether based on what appears to be wide spread acceptance of examiner bias, but this seems to be an issue unrelated to covid. I think I’d rather just proceed as they deem appropriate as i do see the value in the test for solidifying knowledge base and communication skills as a consultant.

I wouldn’t complain if they axed orals altogether based on what appears to be wide spread acceptance of examiner bias,

Widespread according to whom? I don't know what it was like back in the heyday of 3 guys in a hotel room, but to me it seemed like the exam was relatively objective in that they both have their iPads and it's clear they're sort of going down a structured script as you progress through the stem.

Widespread according to whom? I don't know what it was like back in the heyday of 3 guys in a hotel room, but to me it seemed like the exam was relatively objective in that they both have their iPads and it's clear they're sort of going down a structured script as you progress through the stem.

I guess that’s a bold claim that’s unlikely valid. Bias probably isn’t the right word.

Was going based off Ultimate board prep...I’ve never taken the exam but UBP claims some examiners score more difficult than others to the point that the ABA statistically adjusts for it when grading. Said if examiners are too easy, hard, or easily sidetracked they supposedly don’t get invited back as examiners. No idea what’s true, just going based off those comments. My point was i don’t think a petition to try to do away with orals is warranted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I guess that’s a bold claim that’s unlikely valid. Bias probably isn’t the right word.

Was going based off Ultimate board prep...I’ve never taken the exam but UBP claims some examiners score more difficult than others to the point that the ABA statistically adjusts for it when grading. Said if examiners are too easy, hard, or easily sidetracked they supposedly don’t get invited back as examiners. No idea what’s true, just going based off those comments. My point was i don’t think a petition to try to do away with orals is warranted.

That's absolutely a real thing (what you read in UBP). One of my attendings who was an examiner for over 20 years confirmed that. Every examiner has basically a curve applied to the score they give an applicant based on how they've scored applicants in the past compared to other examiners. However, if the scoring is too far from the mean, they get dropped as an examiner. So yea, some examiners are more difficult than others, but they correct for that at least partially.

Just an update for those not taking the exam but following the thread out of curiousity...

The ABA announced they are proceeding with the exam in July with distancing measures. 2020 candidates are allowed to postpone boards based on our own personal assessments. Cancellation fees will be waived.

If future of covid precludes in person exams they will consider transitioning to virtual exams. Their goal is to get everyone through the exam by the end of 2021.

In my opinion, if we have a second wave that’s worse than the first and it’s truly dangerous to travel, I think virtual exams would be a consideration. I think their response so far has been appropriate. I wouldn’t complain if they axed orals altogether based on what appears to be wide spread acceptance of examiner bias, but this seems to be an issue unrelated to covid. I think I’d rather just proceed as they deem appropriate as i do see the value in the test for solidifying knowledge base and communication skills as a consultant.

When did the ABA announce about proceeding in July? I have not received any email about it!

I can back up what UBP says about adjusting each grader's scores. This is based on personal conversations with several people who are currently board examiners. And when I took mine last year, it was very obvious that be a couple guys were trying to play the "bad cop" and really come at you, others were more relaxed in their style

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

With the **** hitting the fan in TX and other places, are they really planning on having orals next month????

Members don't see this ad :)
With the **** hitting the fan in TX and other places, are they really planning on having orals next month????
I was just thinking this too. North Carolina’s not looking too hot right now. It sucked when I got cancelled for my March test, but i feel bad for anyone studying for the test next month right now!

I was just thinking this too. North Carolina’s not looking too hot right now. It sucked when I got cancelled for my March test, but i feel bad for anyone studying for the test next month right now!

agree... I can’t see it happening and people are once again studying hard to be cancelled probably. While battling covid on the front lines. Given the situation they should just waive it for this years class.

Reactions: 8 users
agree... I can’t see it happening and people are once again studying hard to be cancelled probably. While battling covid on the front lines. Given the situation they should just waive it for this years class.
100% agree. It's tough enough studying for the exam on a good year. Between getting pulled to the ICU and postponements of the exam, this years' group has truly hit a new level of stress surrounding this exam. If you're good enough to resuscitate a COVID patient, I think the ASA should reevaluate this year's strategy.

Reactions: 6 users
Institution I work for "bans" travel to North Carolina (among other states) for the next 14 days lol...

Just got an email from the ABA. They’re reassigning us dates for 2021 based on the order we were canceled this year. No plans for additional weeks in 2020 & no mention of a contingency plan for 2021 if Covid’s still a big issue (I.e. possibility for remote testing). in other words “we want your money & don‘t give a **** about any of you”

Reactions: 3 users
****e. Can you all still work as staff or fellows pretty much the same anyway or is there a big difference?
Have ye done yere written exam?

They should revise the osce so they can do it virtually at this point. Osce is pointless and such a money grab. They can do the oral portion virtually. I’m skeptical they will though.

It is widely known that Anesthesiologists have an unusually high incidence of suicide compared to other specialties. Theories for why that is include easy access to mood altering medications, working often in a high stress situations, isolating nature of the field, etc. However....

I'm starting to think it's actually due to having to deal with the ABA

Reactions: 7 users

Kind of sad that it’s come to this, but sign the petition and pass it along. No reason this exam shouldn’t have been virtually administered for the last several years, let alone in the middle of a global pandemic.

Reactions: 6 users
It is widely known that Anesthesiologists have an unusually high incidence of suicide compared to other specialties. Theories for why that is include easy access to mood altering medications, working often in a high stress situations, isolating nature of the field, etc. However....

I'm starting to think it's actually due to having to deal with the ABA

the ABA's response rate has been way slower than other fields.. they announced cancellations way after other boards, and many boards have switched to virtual.

Also right now, dont some north east states like NY have travel restrictions if coming from a high infection rate state? that would present a big issue for a lot of people

the ABA's response rate has been way slower than other fields.. they announced cancellations way after other boards, and many boards have switched to virtual.

Also right now, dont some north east states like NY have travel restrictions if coming from a high infection rate state? that would present a big issue for a lot of people

Some hospitals even have mandatory travel reporting and quarantines prior to coming back to work.

ABA needs to just bite the bullet and make this virtual. They are just going to be further backlogged the more test dates that are canceled, and COVID is clearly not going away. There are some ~1300 anesthesiology graduates every year who will all need examination.

Ditch the bullshi t OSCE portion. Administer the test virtually. We all need to get on with our lives.

So by the time I take oral boards I'll have been practicing independently, mostly in an outpatient surgery center, for 2 years. Then I'll get asked about trauma in an achondroplastic 6yo with sickle-cell and Down syndrome or some such nonsense.

The ABA needs to ask themselves what the purpose of oral boards is, and whether their objective can reasonably be achieved 2 years out from residency.

Reactions: 2 users
So by the time I take oral boards I'll have been practicing independently, mostly in an outpatient surgery center, for 2 years. Then I'll get asked about trauma in an achondroplastic 6yo with sickle-cell and Down syndrome or some such nonsense.

The ABA needs to ask themselves what the purpose of oral boards is, and whether their objective can reasonably be achieved 2 years out from residency.

They've already asked themselves this, and the answer (for the foreseeable future) is to pay off the brand new building they built for testing purposes. I wish for this year they do like the Canadians and give us the pass, they already have our money. If anything, testing throughput is going to be an issue regardless (they were already behind before COVID), and to relieve that the could give say the upper 50%-tile (on the ABA Advanced written exam) the free pass.

Reactions: 4 users

LOL!!! You forgot to mention they may have MH & a jaw wired shut, +/- acute intermittent porphyria & scoliosis with a Cobb Angle of 120!

I've done over 2200 cases since residency....no bad outcomes. Very high acuity patients and complex cases...while also having to be the Covid unit airway expert/line service/vent manager. I'd truly appreciate a bone thrown my way... whatever bone that may be.

The possibility of prolonging board certification another year is nauseating

petition to make the oral boards virtual.

Was anybody able to see the ABA webinar last night? I had trouble logging in but assume it was more ambiguous bull**** from them. . .

They said they’ll post the webinar on the aba Twitter soon. I didn’t watch it so I can’t comment. I got lucky and got it out of the way but it’s frustrating seeing you guys go through this. The main complaints with my colleagues is that they haven’t done a good job with communication nor have a solid plan.

They said they’ll post the webinar on the aba Twitter soon. I didn’t watch it so I can’t comment. I got lucky and got it out of the way but it’s frustrating seeing you guys go through this. The main complaints with my colleagues is that they haven’t done a good job with communication nor have a solid plan.

cause they dont gave a crap. whats going to happen to them even if there are complaints? you gonna find a replacement board?
reminds me of when everyone signed up for oral boards. many people complained about the high price tag of 2400$, but everyone paid anyway
its a monopoly!

My Houstonian colleagues realize they are coming in from a hot spot for week 7.5 but for fear of uncertainty with future oral board plans by the ABA they will not be cancelling. For what its worth, it is not uncommon for us to get e-mails/phone calls about our pts testing positive a few days after we've taken care of them (and presumed to be negative at that time, meaning inappropriate PPE measures).

Judging from the webinar, the ABA has not thought this through. They seem reluctant to change their ways. It's licensing > public health/safety for them.

My Houstonian colleagues realize they are coming in from a hot spot for week 7.5 but for fear of uncertainty with future oral board plans by the ABA they will not be cancelling. For what its worth, it is not uncommon for us to get e-mails/phone calls about our pts testing positive a few days after we've taken care of them (and presumed to be negative at that time, meaning inappropriate PPE measures).

Judging from the webinar, the ABA has not thought this through. They seem reluctant to change their ways. It's licensing > public health/safety for them.

people need to find a way to call out these guys out. feels like pure greed or negligence to me. its a bunch of people sitting on their high horses looking down on new grads.

even step 2 CS was cancelled and waived until 2021. Canada and europe have acted as well.
Most of us who got cancelled have already been either in practice or fellowship for entire year already. To get to this point , we've passed many exams, standardized and not, passed residency, received recommendations to get jobs or fellowships, passed multiple interviews, and probably have not done so badly as to get fired by job/fellowship. it's ridiculous to be doing this while USA is hitting 50k new cases PER DAY

For ABA to say, dont come if you dont feel comfortable, is extremely irresponsible. Many of jobs have certain board certification clauses. Fellowship boards need us to be board certified to even take them. It's as if Trump tells everyone to quit your job and stay in doors if you dont want coronavirus and have that be the entire coronavirus response.

Furthermore, did they even offer the option of a refund for the 2400$

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
How do ABA Board of Directors get into those roles? Is it some election or selection process?

Recent grad here, also frustrated with the board exams. Luckily for me, my employment doesn't require me to be boarded for another few years, but I feel sorry for other of my classmates.

I've actually thought about calling my credit card company to reverse the charges. First of all, they never provided the product that I paid for. I think the reverse charge will go through (I've done it before with other shady merchants). If enough of us do it, it can actually make ABA listen to us. Furthermore, $2400 is a lot of money for a new graduate that can be used for many other purposes such as moving, renting etc. For them to be holding on to it indefinitely (total over $2 million if there are about 1000 graduates a year) seems unethical, since they are essentially collecting interest on it as well or more if they are leveraging it.

If I didn't know any better, I'd think the AANA was paying off the ABA. Let's make the road to being a board certified anesthesiologist even harder by first having oral exams and now adding OSCE. Hmm still too many anesthesiologists to claim a shortage so let's gather senior anesthesiologists (examiners) and young anesthesiologists from across the country during a pandemic and see what happens. Let's keep kicking you while you are down by pocketing the egregious exam fee. Meanwhile the AANA is handing out certifications like candy on Halloween (all virtual pain fellowships!) and having nurse anesthesia training programs become all "doctorate" level programs.

Is anybody else as shocked as I am that they haven’t cancelled the 7/18-7/19 exams yet? As much as I want to be done with this I would definitely think twice about flying on a plane with crappy air circulation!

Is anybody else as shocked as I am that they haven’t cancelled the 7/18-7/19 exams yet? As much as I want to be done with this I would definitely think twice about flying on a plane with crappy air circulation!

and also NC is rising in infections. becareful about jobs asking for quarantine .
ABA is very slow to respond so i wont be surprised if they do end up cancelling closer to the exam. THen again they probably feel the easiest way for them to deal with the mess is just to go ahead with the exams and ignore covid

I'm surprised examiners are willing to fly to NC to do it

They sent out a survey Monday asking if they should cancel. Now that the poll is closed of course no communication. Not taking into account the time and effort people have put into studying for this exam at all.

Unbelievable, exams cancelled for the reminder of the year. They put their foot down 3 weeks ago to push forward and then retract fewer than 10 days pre-exam after tens of thousands spent on lost income, flights purchased and study materials. Clearly, this is how low they value their physicians and this low of a priority this exam is for them. They had months to prepare and make this exam a video conference. I will request a refund. I just can’t see them getting through double the amount of exams next year when they’re already this dysfunctional.

• Wow
Reactions: 13 users
So, if we're being honest....what's the point of this exam? All of us "board eligible" attendings will continue to practice while waiting in limbo for our 2021 exam date. In that time we will, on average, perform adequately....just like we will do after eventually passing orals. We didn't need the board to bless us with their approval to do so. There will be some bad anesthesiologists and some great anesthesiologists who will all eventually pass the exam. I'm just wondering why we have to put ourselves through the financial and emotional stress of it, when in reality....it does not make the field of anesthesiology safer.

Reactions: 7 users
So, if we're being honest....what's the point of this exam? All of us "board eligible" attendings will continue to practice while waiting in limbo for our 2021 exam date. In that time we will, on average, perform adequately....just like we will do after eventually passing orals. We didn't need the board to bless us with their approval to do so. There will be some bad anesthesiologists and some great anesthesiologists who will all eventually pass the exam. I'm just wondering why we have to put ourselves through the financial and emotional stress of it, when in reality....it does not make the field of anesthesiology safer.
Because they have us by the balls unfortunately, but I agree with 100% of what you said!

Simple solution would be for 2020, if you passed the written boards, then you've thus passed the boards and are board-certified.

Many of us need this designation for jobs, hospital accreditation, and/or subspecialty boards eligibility.

Re-evaluate in spring 2021, or drop the orals altogether.

Reactions: 12 users
Because they have us by the balls unfortunately, but I agree with 100% of what you said!
Simple solution would be for 2020, if you passed the written boards, then you've thus passed the boards and are board-certified.

Many of us need this designation for jobs, hospital accreditation, and/or subspecialty boards eligibility.

Re-evaluate in spring 2021, or drop the orals altogether.
Aba website still says they will proceed with week 7.5 as a pilot, I guess that changed again at the very last minute?
Other than money, is there any reason for them to be this stressful and thoughtless? Many specialties do not require oral exam for board certification.
Model after Canada and let go of oral boards/osce until this pandemic is over!

We need more people to speak up and contact them directly.
This is ridiculous and kind of unprofessional. ASA advertises when seconds count anesthesiologists save lives. These folks wait until there are no more seconds left.

Anyone think contacting ASA would help advocate? It is supposed to advocate for us... The issue is likely wont get a huge N since it only so far applies/affects 2020 test takers. I dont even care if ABA keeps the fee