2020 oral boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
'So what how would you induce this patient? '

'After placement of awake arterial line and TWO double lumen introducers, one with a PA Catheter, and the other with DLIC, and defibrillation pads, I would perform a awake fiberoptic intubation, with no sedation, and only give some midazolam after confirmation of EtCO2."

"For a ASA 1 18yo with no significant PMHx, coming in for a hangnail removal????"

"Yeah, cause you never know."

I know you're joking but lately the "healthy" (obese) young ones coming in for inguinal hernias and choles have been giving me more headaches than the trainwreck icu exlaps.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
cause they ask too many questions?
‘So I read this article out of the Anesthesia Journal of Lesotho, that states use of crystalloid has a statistically significant chance of delaying emergence by 0.2 seconds, what are your thoughts?’

Members don't see this ad :)
‘So I read this article out of the Anesthesia Journal of Lesotho, that states use of crystalloid has a statistically significant chance of delaying emergence by 0.2 seconds, what are your thoughts?’
Lol, sounds like a legit anesthesia publication

Reactions: 2 users
Is there ever a reason to order PFTs on the oral boards, except for lung resections? Besides having the patient's baseline pulm function and response to bronchodilators, does it ever change anesthetic management?

In progressive respiratory conditions like cystic fibrosis where there can be a mixed obstructive/restrictive physiology, l guess it could give some indication as to which side of the spectrum they fell on. But agree that it likely wouldn't change much in the way of management.

Is there ever a reason to order PFTs on the oral boards, except for lung resections? Besides having the patient's baseline pulm function and response to bronchodilators, does it ever change anesthetic management?
PFTs may affect management (or even the decision to do the procedure at all) in ALS and MG.

Just took mine. It was... As expected. Didn’t feel great, but it’s not supposed to. Got asked about all manner of obscure sh** that I haven’t seen since residency > 2 years ago. Now we play the waiting game while the ABA spends 6 weeks doing “extensive psychometric assessments”, whatever the hell that means. Really hoping that I passed so I can be done with this exam forever... After this, advanced PTE exam is the last major hoop I’ll have to jump through before I’m fully credentialed, certified, anointed, appointed, and sufficiently tested to take care of ppl and make some money doing it.

FWIW the zoom aspect of it was a non-issue, with a fairly smooth test-taking experience and a fairly idiot-proof workflow. I would support virtual exams in perpetuity (doesn’t seem worth flying to North Carolina just so that I can demonstrate my ability to find an internal jugular vein with ultrasound, which is just about the only thing that wasn’t feasible with the virtual test).

Reactions: 3 users
Just took mine. It was... As expected. Didn’t feel great, but it’s not supposed to. Got asked about all manner of obscure sh** that I haven’t seen since residency > 2 years ago. Now we play the waiting game while the ABA spends 6 weeks doing “extensive psychometric assessments”, whatever the hell that means. Really hoping that I passed so I can be done with this exam forever... After this, advanced PTE exam is the last major hoop I’ll have to jump through before I’m fully credentialed, certified, anointed, appointed, and sufficiently tested to take care of ppl and make some money doing it.

FWIW the zoom aspect of it was a non-issue, with a fairly smooth test-taking experience and a fairly idiot-proof workflow. I would support virtual exams in perpetuity (doesn’t seem worth flying to North Carolina just so that I can demonstrate my ability to find an internal jugular vein with ultrasound, which is just about the only thing that wasn’t feasible with the virtual test).
I’ve passed the Adv PTExam, but can’t get certified until this comes in. Take my exam soon though. Can’t wait until I see that pass.

I finished my orals thank god... asking for a friend who took it last week ( I thought she was well prepared but said is was very difficult). I remember reading somewhere on here when I was going through this that if you got through all your stems and grab bags is highly likely you passed... can anyone confirm that they've heard this.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you serious?!?!? I thought it was 2-3 weeks! Why on earth would they need 6 weeks to get us a score back that should’ve been a Pass/fail by the examiner immediately after the exam?

I think so they can have a little bit of leeway. I think most get back ~4?

Are you serious?!?!? I thought it was 2-3 weeks! Why on earth would they need 6 weeks to get us a score back that should’ve been a Pass/fail by the examiner immediately after the exam?

I think so they can have a little bit of leeway. I think most get back ~4?

they need to get all the info for the month of february, then spin a wheel to see who fail

• Haha
I finished my orals thank god... asking for a friend who took it last week ( I thought she was well prepared but said is was very difficult). I remember reading somewhere on here when I was going through this that if you got through all your stems and grab bags is highly likely you passed... can anyone confirm that they've heard this.

very untrue.

Just wanted to report, the Zoom/Virtual Platform was actually pretty decent and not too terrible. Unlike my performance on the exam itself.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone found the phone mocks with Ho helpful? It's 4 phone oral mocks for $560. I've been practicing with a couple guys who are also taking orals next month but am just wondering if it's just the blind leading the blind :shrug:

Has anyone found the phone mocks with Ho helpful? It's 4 phone oral mocks for $560. I've been practicing with a couple guys who are also taking orals next month but am just wondering if it's just the blind leading the blind :shrug:
I heard UBP nowadays has better online private exams

Are people realliy having to make a QI project on the spot with PDSA? Seems insane. Also, the TEE seems straight forward but seems like the monitoring could be weird...? Mine is coming up and I hate this.

Are people realliy having to make a QI project on the spot with PDSA? Seems insane. Also, the TEE seems straight forward but seems like the monitoring could be weird...? Mine is coming up and I hate this.

You're not asked to actually design a QI project. Basically just describe to someone how you would do it (aka explain what PDSA cycle is). That station is basically, "Hi my name is Joe Schmo and I was asked to do a quality improvement study on x process and I don't know where to start.". You don't have to talk at all about what x process they are studying is. Doesn't matter. Just go over the PDSA cycle in generics.

Monitoring was weird and I found relatively non-specific to pinpoint a diagnosis for some scenarios.

Exactly. Seems like it can be fairly broad and non-specific at least without knowing more about the case. I did the OSCE Ho course to help iron some of it out. I suppose STEMI, NSTEMI, anaphylaxis, new onset A-fib, and VAE are the main ones to look out for.

It would appear that I am now a board certified anesthesiologist! Good luck to everyone else

Now on to studying for echo boards...

Reactions: 9 users
I passed! I‘m done! I wish nothing but passes for all of you guys.

Reactions: 10 users
Does anyone ever feel good finishing that test?

PASSED!!! Sending good vibes to all out there. So happy to have this behind me!

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone ever feel good finishing that test?
Took the Ho course and felt well prepared. I would say I overall felt good coming out of it... but I also did several practice exams with former examiners so that helped. It’s a tough exam but if you practice (a lot) most of the exam will not be a surprise.

Last edited:
Is the Hoe better or UBP? Who bought extra mock oral test from UBP? UBP Ultimate package include 3 live mock online test, should i buy ultimate package? Or small package?