2020 Sydney Medical School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted974284

Hey everyone,

I thought I'd make a thread for all of those interested in applying or are applying to the University of Sydney Medical School for the 2020 intake.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey this is me! Just to confirm, they're not rolling right? Gonna send in my app after the MCAT in end May

Members don't see this ad :)
I have heard they really care about MCAT and not much else in Australia, is that right?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have heard they really care about MCAT and not much else in Australia, is that right? Would a 519 MCAT (97th percentile) and 3.5 GPA get me into top Australian 4 year programs like this one?
I think as long as you don't do really bad in the interview, you should have a good shot. With those stats, wouldn't you be competitive for a lot of schools in the US ?

I think as long as you don't do really bad in the interview, you should have a good shot. With those stats, wouldn't you be competitive for a lot of schools in the US ?
Not with a bad sGPA, and I don't want to go D.O.

I did a lot more research though and realized Australian medical schools are a pretty horrible option for US students (or any international students) if you want to stay in Australia. UQ-O would be the exception since they have good match rates in the U.S.

Last edited:
Not with a 3.2 sGPA, a downward trend senior year, and I don't want to go D.O.

I did a lot more research though and realized Australian medical schools are a pretty horrible option for US students (or any international students) if you want to stay in Australia. UQ-O would be the exception since they have good match rates in the U.S.
If you want to stay in the states, DO is probably a lot better than going to Australia just for the MD degree and being an IMG

Yep, I agree. And staying in Australia isn’t a very viable option given the immigration laws, unless I am misinformed which is very possible.

Or you could marry an Aussie ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Or you could marry an Aussie ;)
I have thought about that but was too scared to even bring it up on this website given how dramatic people can be. It is possible that I would meet an aussie and get married in med school/internship but I wouldn't want to count on that or rush into a marriage just for permanent residency status. It takes two years to get permanent residence after you file for a partner visa anyways.

That is fine but I would really appreciate it you could explain why. The system seems to be constantly in flux and the official releases by the Australian government seem to be pretty vague and pessimistic.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can’t give you an answer about the future. I can tell you about right now. If you look at right now there’s no major barriers

Not with a 3.2 sGPA, a downward trend senior year, and I don't want to go D.O.

You do realize that going DO allows you to practice medicine right? with an unrestricted license in any specialty? Also, if you did an SMP masters program in a hard science for a year that should make your lower science GPA a moot point. the 519 MCAT should get you into U.S. med schools, even MD if you apply broadly enough.

Addressing your other points: No one in my Australian class seems particularly worried about getting internship. You just have to be flexible on where in oz you would move to. And no, I don't think Australian medical education is predatory. They make no claims to suggest that you are guaranteed a job after you graduate as an intl. You take the gamble or you don't. Nor are you guaranteed one in the U.S. if you go to med school here.

Reactions: 4 users
Congradualation on the interview offer! do you mind sharing your stat?
3.2 GPA and MCAT is 508. Since they only look at the MCAT and the interview, I will have to ace the interview b/c of my mediocre MCAT score X(. Did you get an offer as well?

3.2 GPA and MCAT is 508. Since they only look at the MCAT and the interview, I will have to ace the interview b/c of my mediocre MCAT score X(. Did you get an offer as well?
Thank you so much for sharing! They said there may potentially be another round of interview. So I am waitlisted. My MCAT is 502...so my MCAT is not very high...

Thank you so much for sharing! They said there may potentially be another round of interview. So I am waitlisted. My MCAT is 502...so my MCAT is not very high...
I'm sorry to hear that. Hope they will have another round of interviews!

Do you all know if the acceptances are rolling aka interview earlier, get am acceptance earlier?

Hey! I got an acceptance as well and I was wondering if you guys would like to practice for the MMIs?

Got an interview for USyd MD on Sunday! Interviewing on August 8th.

507 MCAT. They don't look at GPA but 4.0 GPA in my recent degree (M.Sc.)

Hey! I got an acceptance as well and I was wondering if you guys would like to practice for the MMIs?

I don't think they are rolling... seems like decisions will come out in the last few days of August.

Another Canadian here who also got an interview :)
Good luck to everyone on their interviews!

Do you, or does anyone else, know for sure when decisions and offers come out?

As far as I know, based on my agency, seems like they will be out August 28th or 29th onwards.

why would you pick UQ over Usyd?

Better research institute, more electives, cheaper city, and I like the option of being able to add a business certificate, MPH, MPhil or PhD onto your MD degree. Also, seems like QLD gives you better chances at getting an internship.

Also like the new mentorship program, recorded lectures and CBL type of teaching.

Are you picking USyd over UQ? If so, what are your reasons for it? I know USyd is ranked a few places higher but otherwise, I don't see many objective reasons to choose it over UQ?

More clinical exposure at USYD earlier on especially with the new course structure, research is required which probably means better support for it, established relationships with programs in the US and Canada for clerkships

Also I don't know how many electives UQ let's you do bakc home but I think it's around 8 weeks for USYD

The schools are comparable so I think it is a matter of which program you feel fits you best

The schools are comparable so I think it is a matter of which program you feel fits you best

Yeah, they're really similar to be honest. Just personal preference. UQ allows for 3 international rotations of 8 weeks each or something. On top of that, you can do an 'internal' rotation at their NOLA clinical site (Oschner) and it doesn't count as one of the 3.

I do agree with the clinical stuff about USyd. Honestly, it's just personal preference. I have a MSc and intend to be involved in research during my MD so UQ seems like a great place for me - especially for psychiatry which is what I'm interested in (for now). Either school is awesome!

Better research institute, more electives, cheaper city, and I like the option of being able to add a business certificate, MPH, MPhil or PhD onto your MD degree. Also, seems like QLD gives you better chances at getting an internship.

Also like the new mentorship program, recorded lectures and CBL type of teaching.

Are you picking USyd over UQ? If so, what are your reasons for it? I know USyd is ranked a few places higher but otherwise, I don't see many objective reasons to choose it over UQ?
I already paid my UQ deposit and am super excited about it but I just want to make sure I’m making the best decision
It seems you and I have the same reasons for choosing UQ but Usyd has a slightly smaller class size (400 vs 325 last I checked)

I already paid my UQ deposit and am super excited about it but I just want to make sure I’m making the best decision
It seems you and I have the same reasons for choosing UQ but Usyd has a slightly smaller class size (400 vs 325 last I checked)

Class size doesn't really matter. Everything you do from a learning standpoint at UQ is broken down into small groups in years 1 and 2 and years 3 and 4 are in the hospital where your class size significantly shrinks when the Ochsner cohort leaves and everyone is at diff hospital sites. @med2020hopeful spot on with your commentary and all good reasons. 4th year Rotations at UQ are now all 6 weeks in nature. You are correct that you can do 3 of them away and Ochsner doesn't count as an away. An Ochsner rotation is very easy to set up as an international at UQ due to the unique partnership. You also have a 6 week elective block in 4th year that you can pretty much do anything for and go anywhere for.