You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted981412
Hey this is me! Just to confirm, they're not rolling right? Gonna send in my app after the MCAT in end May
D
deleted974284
Yes, not rolling!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted981412
How strong do you think an MCAT of 511 is? Since they don't look at EC's or letters of rec right? Do you have any idea for internationalsYes, not rolling!
I think as long as you don't do really bad in the interview, you should have a good shot. With those stats, wouldn't you be competitive for a lot of schools in the US ?I have heard they really care about MCAT and not much else in Australia, is that right? Would a 519 MCAT (97th percentile) and 3.5 GPA get me into top Australian 4 year programs like this one?
Not with a bad sGPA, and I don't want to go D.O.I think as long as you don't do really bad in the interview, you should have a good shot. With those stats, wouldn't you be competitive for a lot of schools in the US ?
I did a lot more research though and realized Australian medical schools are a pretty horrible option for US students (or any international students) if you want to stay in Australia. UQ-O would be the exception since they have good match rates in the U.S.
Last edited:
If you want to stay in the states, DO is probably a lot better than going to Australia just for the MD degree and being an IMGNot with a 3.2 sGPA, a downward trend senior year, and I don't want to go D.O.
I did a lot more research though and realized Australian medical schools are a pretty horrible option for US students (or any international students) if you want to stay in Australia. UQ-O would be the exception since they have good match rates in the U.S.
I have thought about that but was too scared to even bring it up on this website given how dramatic people can be. It is possible that I would meet an aussie and get married in med school/internship but I wouldn't want to count on that or rush into a marriage just for permanent residency status. It takes two years to get permanent residence after you file for a partner visa anyways.Or you could marry an Aussie 😉
You areYep, I agree. And staying in Australia isn’t a very viable option given the immigration laws, unless I am misinformed which is very possible.
That is fine but I would really appreciate it you could explain why. The system seems to be constantly in flux and the official releases by the Australian government seem to be pretty vague and pessimistic.You are
I can’t give you an answer about the future. I can tell you about right now. If you look at right now there’s no major barriers
Not with a 3.2 sGPA, a downward trend senior year, and I don't want to go D.O.
I did a lot more research though and realized Australian medical schools are a pretty horrible option for US students (or any international students) if you want to stay in Australia. UQ-O would be the exception since they have good match rates in the U.S.
You do realize that going DO allows you to practice medicine right? with an unrestricted license in any specialty? Also, if you did an SMP masters program in a hard science for a year that should make your lower science GPA a moot point. the 519 MCAT should get you into U.S. med schools, even MD if you apply broadly enough.
Addressing your other points: No one in my Australian class seems particularly worried about getting internship. You just have to be flexible on where in oz you would move to. And no, I don't think Australian medical education is predatory. They make no claims to suggest that you are guaranteed a job after you graduate as an intl. You take the gamble or you don't. Nor are you guaranteed one in the U.S. if you go to med school here.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
blushlover
New Member
Has anyone received responses from USyd yet?
D
deleted981412
I thought they will send out interview invites from July 22-25Has anyone received responses from USyd yet?
did anyone get interview invitation today?
Just got an invitation for MD and DMDdid anyone get interview invitation today?
Just got an invitation for MD and DMD
Congradualation on the interview offer! do you mind sharing your stat?Just got an invitation for MD and DMD
3.2 GPA and MCAT is 508. Since they only look at the MCAT and the interview, I will have to ace the interview b/c of my mediocre MCAT score X(. Did you get an offer as well?Congradualation on the interview offer! do you mind sharing your stat?
Thank you so much for sharing! They said there may potentially be another round of interview. So I am waitlisted. My MCAT is 502...so my MCAT is not very high...3.2 GPA and MCAT is 508. Since they only look at the MCAT and the interview, I will have to ace the interview b/c of my mediocre MCAT score X(. Did you get an offer as well?
I'm sorry to hear that. Hope they will have another round of interviews!Thank you so much for sharing! They said there may potentially be another round of interview. So I am waitlisted. My MCAT is 502...so my MCAT is not very high...
msworldwide
New Member
Got one! 3.97 GPA, 515 MCAT.Has anyone received responses from USyd yet?
D
deleted981412
Do you all know if the acceptances are rolling aka interview earlier, get am acceptance earlier?
Got an interview for USyd MD on Sunday! Interviewing on August 8th.
507 MCAT. They don't look at GPA but 4.0 GPA in my recent degree (M.Sc.)
507 MCAT. They don't look at GPA but 4.0 GPA in my recent degree (M.Sc.)
Hey! I got an acceptance as well and I was wondering if you guys would like to practice for the MMIs?
I don't think they are rolling... seems like decisions will come out in the last few days of August.
Sorry, I meant to say I got an interview not acceptance.I don't think they are rolling... seems like decisions will come out in the last few days of August.
D
deleted974284
Are any of you Canadians?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry, I meant to say I got an interview not acceptance.
I think I quoted the wrong post haha. Don't worry.
Yup, Canadian!Are any of you Canadians?
come_along_pond
Full Member
Another Canadian here who also got an interview 🙂
Good luck to everyone on their interviews!
Good luck to everyone on their interviews!
msworldwide
New Member
Do you, or does anyone else, know for sure when decisions and offers come out?I don't think they are rolling... seems like decisions will come out in the last few days of August.
Do you, or does anyone else, know for sure when decisions and offers come out?
As far as I know, based on my agency, seems like they will be out August 28th or 29th onwards.
D
deleted974284
Good luck on your interviews everyone!
Good luck on your interviews everyone!
I found it easier than the UQ one! Hope everyone does well. Will most likely be going with UQ unless I change my mind haha
medaushopefull
New Member
why would you pick UQ over Usyd?I found it easier than the UQ one! Hope everyone does well. Will most likely be going with UQ unless I change my mind haha
why would you pick UQ over Usyd?
Better research institute, more electives, cheaper city, and I like the option of being able to add a business certificate, MPH, MPhil or PhD onto your MD degree. Also, seems like QLD gives you better chances at getting an internship.
Also like the new mentorship program, recorded lectures and CBL type of teaching.
Are you picking USyd over UQ? If so, what are your reasons for it? I know USyd is ranked a few places higher but otherwise, I don't see many objective reasons to choose it over UQ?
D
deleted974284
More clinical exposure at USYD earlier on especially with the new course structure, research is required which probably means better support for it, established relationships with programs in the US and Canada for clerkships
D
deleted974284
Also I don't know how many electives UQ let's you do bakc home but I think it's around 8 weeks for USYD
D
deleted974284
Please correct me if any of this info is incorrect!
D
deleted974284
The schools are comparable so I think it is a matter of which program you feel fits you best
The schools are comparable so I think it is a matter of which program you feel fits you best
Yeah, they're really similar to be honest. Just personal preference. UQ allows for 3 international rotations of 8 weeks each or something. On top of that, you can do an 'internal' rotation at their NOLA clinical site (Oschner) and it doesn't count as one of the 3.
I do agree with the clinical stuff about USyd. Honestly, it's just personal preference. I have a MSc and intend to be involved in research during my MD so UQ seems like a great place for me - especially for psychiatry which is what I'm interested in (for now). Either school is awesome!
D
deleted974284
Sorry it's way more than 8 weeks. I believe it's around 15-20 weeks in total.Also I don't know how many electives UQ let's you do bakc home but I think it's around 8 weeks for USYD
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
medaushopefull
New Member
I already paid my UQ deposit and am super excited about it but I just want to make sure I’m making the best decisionBetter research institute, more electives, cheaper city, and I like the option of being able to add a business certificate, MPH, MPhil or PhD onto your MD degree. Also, seems like QLD gives you better chances at getting an internship.
Also like the new mentorship program, recorded lectures and CBL type of teaching.
Are you picking USyd over UQ? If so, what are your reasons for it? I know USyd is ranked a few places higher but otherwise, I don't see many objective reasons to choose it over UQ?
It seems you and I have the same reasons for choosing UQ but Usyd has a slightly smaller class size (400 vs 325 last I checked)
Also I don't know how many electives UQ let's you do bakc home but I think it's around 8 weeks for USYD
16 weeks I think (elective + medicine or community blocks - both 8 weeks each).
D
deleted974284
Also the PRINT block if I'm not mistaken?16 weeks I think (elective + medicine or community blocks - both 8 weeks each).
I already paid my UQ deposit and am super excited about it but I just want to make sure I’m making the best decision
It seems you and I have the same reasons for choosing UQ but Usyd has a slightly smaller class size (400 vs 325 last I checked)
Class size doesn't really matter. Everything you do from a learning standpoint at UQ is broken down into small groups in years 1 and 2 and years 3 and 4 are in the hospital where your class size significantly shrinks when the Ochsner cohort leaves and everyone is at diff hospital sites. @med2020hopeful spot on with your commentary and all good reasons. 4th year Rotations at UQ are now all 6 weeks in nature. You are correct that you can do 3 of them away and Ochsner doesn't count as an away. An Ochsner rotation is very easy to set up as an international at UQ due to the unique partnership. You also have a 6 week elective block in 4th year that you can pretty much do anything for and go anywhere for.
Good point, forgot about that. So 24 weeks total.Also the PRINT block if I'm not mistaken?