2020 Sydney Medical School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Class size doesn't really matter. Everything you do from a learning standpoint at UQ is broken down into small groups in years 1 and 2 and years 3 and 4 are in the hospital where your class size significantly shrinks when the Ochsner cohort leaves and everyone is at diff hospital sites. @med2020hopeful spot on with your commentary and all good reasons. 4th year Rotations at UQ are now all 6 weeks in nature. You are correct that you can do 3 of them away and Ochsner doesn't count as an away. An Ochsner rotation is very easy to set up as an international at UQ due to the unique partnership. You also have a 6 week elective block in 4th year that you can pretty much do anything for and go anywhere for.

Thanks! I tried to do as much research about UQ and USyd as I could. Came to the conclusion that based on my background, UQ is the best fit for me. @medaushopefull if your wants for a medical program are similar to mine, I think UQ would be awesome for you too. That being said, they're both top institutions and I wouldn't lose sleep over choosing one over the other. As far as I know, the difference in reputation between UQ and USyd are negligible when it comes down to it. I would also rather be in QLD due to current internship chances.

@mcat_taker thanks for the additional info and confirmation!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
3rd year at USyd here. So obviously everything I say here is going to be biased and about USyd.

You can do about to 20 weeks of away rotations. Including 8 week electives, 8 weeks core (or 4 weeks core + specialty), 4 weeks print as an international student. Most people don't do that many, even the ones keen to go back to North America. At most people do about 12 weeks or so if they are serious. Especially as New York residencies have a rule where you become ineligible if you do more then 12 weeks abroad (very IMG friendly state, where alot of people match to in the US). The main goal of the away rotations are to get reference letters, and learn about the healthcare system in North America. 3 references are plenty for your application back home. And the N.A. electives are hard work, you learn lots but you need to be on your game.

The class sizes are smaller at USyd. There has been no internship issues, if you want one, you will get one somewhere. It might not be urban, most likely regional/rural. Like someone mentioned, they are totally revamping the program with a dedicated 14 week MD research term. Much earlier clinical exposure, condensed pre-clinicals and almost like a full year of PRINT. That full year of PRINT is good IMO, if you are staying here, it will make your transition to a JMO much easier.

Plenty of opportunities to be involved in research if you want, but you need to prioritize your time. If you are gunning to go back, you have to sit many exams (USMLE, MCC), and score well while also passing the medical program. A tutor told me that learning in medicine is like drinking water from a fire hydrant. It is demanding, and the knowledge is endless. Everyone has plans to do everything, but when it comes down to it, you need to prioritize your time and sometimes you really don't have time for everything or you'll get burned out.

Oh and you get to live in Sydney at USYD. One of the best cities in the world.

Reactions: 1 users
3rd year at USyd here. So obviously everything I say here is going to be biased and about USyd.

You can do about to 20 weeks of away rotations. Including 8 week electives, 8 weeks core (or 4 weeks core + specialty), 4 weeks print as an international student. Most people don't do that many, even the ones keen to go back to North America. At most people do about 12 weeks or so if they are serious. Especially as New York residencies have a rule where you become ineligible if you do more then 12 weeks abroad (very IMG friendly state, where alot of people match to in the US). The main goal of the away rotations are to get reference letters, and learn about the healthcare system in North America. 3 references are plenty for your application back home. And the N.A. electives are hard work, you learn lots but you need to be on your game.

The class sizes are smaller at USyd. There has been no internship issues, if you want one, you will get one somewhere. It might not be urban, most likely regional/rural. Like someone mentioned, they are totally revamping the program with a dedicated 14 week MD research term. Much earlier clinical exposure, condensed pre-clinicals and almost like a full year of PRINT. That full year of PRINT is good IMO, if you are staying here, it will make your transition to a JMO much easier.

Plenty of opportunities to be involved in research if you want, but you need to prioritize your time. If you are gunning to go back, you have to sit many exams (USMLE, MCC), and score well while also passing the medical program. A tutor told me that learning in medicine is like drinking water from a fire hydrant. It is demanding, and the knowledge is endless. Everyone has plans to do everything, but when it comes down to it, you need to prioritize your time and sometimes you really don't have time for everything or you'll get burned out.

Oh and you get to live in Sydney at USYD. One of the best cities in the world.
Are you Canadian? Do you mind if I pm you for some questions. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Canadian here. Thought I'd join in while we wait for the USyd interview results. I think my interview went pretty well (??) so let's hope! So far I've gotten post-interview acceptances to Flinders, Deakin, Macquarie, UQ (felt I bombed the interview haha), and griffith. Turned down my UWA interview and have a Melbourne interview in Sept. I'm hoping on sydney for several reasons (mostly I like the curriculum and I think living in the city would be a good experience. Also my interests right now are rural FM so having the option to do 1 rural year would be awesome if I choose to do it). I accepted my Flinders thus far mostly because the rural component however feel Sydney would provide more opportunity and general exposure. Also a fair amount of the schools I got into have small international cohorts and even fewer North American, so feel I'd have more support at a school like USyd. Fingers crossed for end of August; if I got in then I'd decline the UMelb interview and be done with it. Good luck everyone!! Almost there.

Also my interests right now are rural FM so having the option to do 1 rural year would be awesome if I choose to do it). I accepted my Flinders thus far mostly because the rural component however feel Sydney would provide more opportunity and general exposure.

From what I remember, international students weren't allowed to do the full 1 year rural placement at Dubbo/Orange at USyd (was restricted to locals only). We were allowed to do rural rotations eg Lismore. If any current USyd students could confirm if that's still the case?

Got the offer...
Now debating what to do with it between the UQ acceptance that I put down a deposit for and Melbourne’s upcoming interview :unsure:

Got accepted. Will now decline my Melbourne interview as the tuition is way more at Melbourne even compared to Sydney.
See y'all in January! Hopefully we all find housing haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I ask when your interviews were ? I have gotten neither a waitlist email or an acceptance email :(:( .

I had an Aug 12 interview.

Don’t fret. It looks like they’ve just started, and make offers all the way up to January!

Can I ask when your interviews were ? I have gotten neither a waitlist email or an acceptance email :(:( .
Yeah don't worry too much I'm pretty sure offers come out over a few days and then there are other rounds. I had my interview August 12 as well and technically got my offer yesterday in my timezone. So don't think there's any relationship there. Give it the rest of this week for first round I'd say.

Reactions: 2 users
Decisions decisions, what is a major factor that is swinging you guys towards Sydney over UQ?

Decisions decisions, what is a major factor that is swinging you guys towards Sydney over UQ?
For me personally, I have some extended family who's a physician in Sydney, and he had only good things to say about USyd. He emphasized that if you do things right, its tough not to secure an internship in NSW. And frankly, when I'm thinking about potentially coming back to Canada or trying to match in the states, I know that having a school with a good international reputation like Sydney can only help (not saying UQ has a poor rep, but just on a name basis is less known). On top of that, I would love to live in Sydney, just because I know that as huge metro there'll be lots of opportunities available to network and make connections that could help me if I decide to practice in Can/USA. (plus hopefully opportunities to have fun)

I also have an acquaintance who is currently finishing his MD at Usyd, and he also commented on the cohort size. Because UQ's is so large (500 i think), I do have some concern about the teaching; even though Usyd's is also huge (300), but considering that there's a lot of group learning/PBL classes I think having smaller class sizes is probably beneficial.

The cost is definitely a factor though, because even though UQ's site says $81k and Usyd indicates $78k, I know that sydney's living costs are pretty substantial. On top of that, UQ seems to have some great support for US students (even if you're not Oschner), and have dedicated USMLE prep courses which are super interesting, and probably helpful for those who want to take the licensing exams + stay on track with their normal studies.

Accepted to the DMD program. Still not completely sure if I'll be accepting the offer due to the tuition.

I got an MD offer a day ago as well. Have already accepted UQ and put the deposit down. I’m trying to think of any potential objective reasons to choose USyd over UQ and I’m struggling... Anyone else in the same boat? I get the reputation thing but UQ is also well known.

I got an MD offer a day ago as well. Have already accepted UQ and put the deposit down. I’m trying to think of any potential objective reasons to choose USyd over UQ and I’m struggling... Anyone else in the same boat? I get the reputation thing but UQ is also well known.

Aside from "prestige" and whatever value you might place on that, I am also considering:

-electives: a comparable degree of flexibility and also has links with North American med schools

Aside from "prestige" and whatever value you might place on that, I am also considering:

-electives: a comparable degree of flexibility and also has links with North American med schools

Yeah, I'm considering those two as well. My final decision rests on whether there are good chances for internship in NSW. We've discussed this before but I want to make sure... Sydney is seeming a bit more attractive right now but my original, main reason for choosing UQ was for better internship chances in QLD. However, on this thread, it seems like people say internship chances are not a problem in NSW? What do you think?

Yeah, I'm considering those two as well. My final decision rests on whether there are good chances for internship in NSW. We've discussed this before but I want to make sure... Sydney is seeming a bit more attractive right now but my original, main reason for choosing UQ was for better internship chances in QLD. However, on this thread, it seems like people say internship chances are not a problem in NSW? What do you think?
Check the NSW Internship report from this year and last year on this forum . Should be able to give you a reasonable conclusion about your chances.

Last edited:
Check the NSW Internship report from this year and last year on this forum . Should be able to give you a reasonable conclusion about your chances.

Thanks, just checked it out... seems pretty reasonable if only 5 didn't get placed. They could also have applied interstate. This obviously doesn't include the JDTP either right?

Got into U Sydney too but am sticking with UQ. Will definitely flip to UMelb if I get that tho

Can you elaborate on some of your thoughts as to why Melbourne over Usyd and UQ?

I would personally love to live and study in Melbourne but am hesitant in that overseas electives can only generally happen during non-teaching periods, and if you do choose to have your fourth year rotation officially in North America, you give up your eligibility for the Victoria internship match.

I personally prefer Brisbane over Sydney. Brisbane has a better climate and it has less traffic and is easier and quicker to get around than Sydney. Cost of living is substantially lower- cheaper rents. Granted I'm biased because I went to UQ and lived for 2 years in Brisbane and only visited Sydney as a tourist. But after seeing Sydney I think its a great place to visit and have fun but I don't think I would prefer living there (Although there are the beaches which are tempting).

everyone is different- Brisbane is definitely a city with multiple hospitals and ability to network and do research and anything else you want to do but in comparison to Sydney its a sleepy town. I liked it though and found it perfect for what I needed as a medical student.

I personally prefer Brisbane over Sydney. Brisbane has a better climate and it has less traffic and is easier and quicker to get around than Sydney. Cost of living is substantially lower- cheaper rents. Granted I'm biased because I went to UQ and lived for 2 years in Brisbane and only visited Sydney as a tourist. But after seeing Sydney I think its a great place to visit and have fun but I don't think I would prefer living there (Although there are the beaches which are tempting).

everyone is different- Brisbane is definitely a city with multiple hospitals and ability to network and do research and anything else you want to do but in comparison to Sydney its a sleepy town. I liked it though and found it perfect for what I needed as a medical student.

Thanks for outlining your experience in Brisbane! The more I research these two schools and cities, the more I think it comes down to personal preference...

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Agreed with the above, this is a really tough choice between UQ and USyd!

I have decided to accept my USyd offer and will be withdrawing from UQ after my CoE comes through from Sydney. The new program looks absolutely fantastic and is what I was looking for in a MD degree. It also seems like the internship chances are pretty good in NSW. There is also the JDTP and I can apply interstate.

Very excited!

I have decided to accept my USyd offer and will be withdrawing from UQ after my CoE comes through from Sydney. The new program looks absolutely fantastic and is what I was looking for in a MD degree. It also seems like the internship chances are pretty good in NSW. There is also the JDTP and I can apply interstate.

Very excited!
Yes!! See you there!! I agree with the curriculum. And I like the pre-start assumed knowledge course to ease into it. Also having 1 flex day a week seems a great way to combine effective self learning and review with work life balance. Like, wake up at 9, go for a run and then study.

Yes!! See you there!! I agree with the curriculum. And I like the pre-start assumed knowledge course to ease into it. Also having 1 flex day a week seems a great way to combine effective self learning and review with work life balance. Like, wake up at 9, go for a run and then study.

For sure! I just really hope the internship stuff works out for us haha!

For sure! I just really hope the internship stuff works out for us haha!
Yeah. I mean regardless, there is no guarantee. Being an IMG is an uphill battle even more than just med school in general. I feel like Sydney has lots of networking opportunities so that's what's important. We are going to work hard no matter where we go, so it's "just" grabbing whatever opportunity you can.

Good luck guys! Personally, I think I’m going to stick with the UQ offer. Same boat, internship opportunities is the primary thing I’m trying to figure out between the two. Hopefully it works out for all of us in the end!

Good luck guys! Personally, I think I’m going to stick with the UQ offer. Same boat, internship opportunities is the primary thing I’m trying to figure out between the two. Hopefully it works out for all of us in the end!

Fair enough! A family friend who's at Sydney also indicated that some people at USyd got internships in rural Qld. That in combination with the fact that the priority level is objectively the same in QLD whether you go to USyd or UQ made me choose USyd for the curriculum. Also, I'll be higher priority in NSW than if I went to UQ.

Syd's curriculum changes make it a really attractive program.

Ah man, Usyd's program changes are indeed really attractive. What a choice.

Right? That was the main point that made me switch. I would much rather more clinical experience over an extended pre-clinical phase.

I think with the merger in place and the success that DOs have matching in the USA, it may be a safer option. Once you've trained in the US, you can return to Canada as the DO degree allows you to practice without restriction in all provinces. Previously, Canadian DOs must have trained in an allopathic residency to be eligible for licensure in Canada. With the merger, all residency positions in the US will allow a Canadian to return to Canada. Obviously, the number of years of training must be equivalent, you must pass the appropriate exams, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anybody have an estimate for what the cost of living in Sydney will be? Assuming we don't splurge is $20-25k/year reasonable?

I've done research online but was wondering if anybody had first hand information. And I do realize it will vary a lot person to person.

Does anybody have an estimate for what the cost of living in Sydney will be? Assuming we don't splurge is $20-25k/year reasonable?

I've done research online but was wondering if anybody had first hand information. And I do realize it will vary a lot person to person.

I'm not sure since I'm going with my wife (just got married...feels weird to say that). Ideally, she will get a good job and we won't have to worry too much about the cost of living. I'm thinking it'll be a bit more than 25000 if I was going alone though. Rent seems pretty expensive there.

Has anyone received their CoE yet? My finances on the portal says that the money I paid (13 690 AUD for the deposit + OSHC) is "in credit" yet says my OSHC is overdue... I emailed them but haven't heard back. I hope that gets sorted out soon.

Has anyone received their CoE yet? My finances on the portal says that the money I paid (13 690 AUD for the deposit + OSHC) is "in credit" yet says my OSHC is overdue... I emailed them but haven't heard back. I hope that gets sorted out soon.

I'd give them a call.

I'd give them a call.
I did and they said to email the international fees department. No response yet.

EDIT: Called the international fees team and they allocated money towards the OSHC for me manually. Still have 4000 in credit for the initial payment. Hope the CoE gets generated soon.

Last edited:
Yep, I agree. And staying in Australia isn’t a very viable option given the immigration laws, unless I am misinformed which is very possible.

I do think there is a degree of misinformation regarding immigration and Australia. I am a Canadian, went to medical school at Bond University, then completed my Internship and GP/Family Med training in Tasmania, all within the last few years since the immigration rules have changed. At no point did I find any of it logistically difficult. Furthermore, Tasmania continues to offer Skilled Nominated Visas (190) so it is highly unlikely that a doctor would be rejected for Permanent Residency.

I now work for the University of Tasmania School of Medicine, and am passionate about our program. It has 100% success rate with graduates obtaining internships, (this includes 100% of the international graduates.) I realise this is definitely not the case with other medical schools, and I can only speak on behalf of the University of Tasmania, but I would hate fear of immigration or internship to stand in the way of a hopeful applicant receiving a great medical education.

Reactions: 3 users
I do think there is a degree of misinformation regarding immigration and Australia. I am a Canadian, went to medical school at Bond University, then completed my Internship and GP/Family Med training in Tasmania, all within the last few years since the immigration rules have changed. At no point did I find any of it logistically difficult. Furthermore, Tasmania continues to offer Skilled Nominated Visas (190) so it is highly unlikely that a doctor would be rejected for Permanent Residency.

I now work for the University of Tasmania School of Medicine, and am passionate about our program. It has 100% success rate with graduates obtaining internships, (this includes 100% of the international graduates.) I realise this is definitely not the case with other medical schools, and I can only speak on behalf of the University of Tasmania, but I would hate fear of immigration or internship to stand in the way of a hopeful applicant receiving a great medical education.

Thanks very much for sharing your first-hand experiences!

Received my eCoE!
For sydney? I received mine last night. Gotta apply for refund from the other school I placed a deposit with and then start the visa process. Things are moving forward!

For sydney? I received mine last night. Gotta apply for refund from the other school I placed a deposit with and then start the visa process. Things are moving forward!

Yep, for Sydney. Got it a couple of nights ago too! Yeah, I need to figure out how to get the refund back from UQ. Pretty excited! Hoping there’s a Facebook group set up soon to meet everyone.