2020 Sydney Medical School Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey,
Anyone watched the webinar? Did they say anything about internships?

Thank you:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
is everyone able to login to their usyd email? I can't seem to login... also have people received the online course we are supposed to take before school?

is everyone able to login to their usyd email? I can't seem to login... also have people received the online course we are supposed to take before school?
Don't get the course until enrolment in November I believe. I just started filling out my visa application last night. Got stumped on the genuine temporary entrant essay. Want to make sure I don't mess it up and compromise the visa lol.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have decided to accept my USyd offer and will be withdrawing from UQ after my CoE comes through from Sydney. The new program looks absolutely fantastic and is what I was looking for in a MD degree. It also seems like the internship chances are pretty good in NSW. There is also the JDTP and I can apply interstate.

Very excited!

Sorry what is the JDTP?

Sorry what is the JDTP?
Internship program for international students. It's a backup for international grads who failed to secure state internships. All of the positions are either in public rural/regional hospitals or private hospitals which less than ideal because private hospitals don't let you do much (Correct me if I'm wrong)

For those of you accepted, by what date do you have to accept your offer? Just looking for the ballpark range as to when I should be hearing back since I’m on the waitlist

For those of you accepted, by what date do you have to accept your offer? Just looking for the ballpark range as to when I should be hearing back since I’m on the waitlist
For people who received their offer around August 27th the last date to accept was the 18th.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys do you have any pointers on how to write the temporary stay essay? Anyone working on it?

Hey guys do you have any pointers on how to write the temporary stay essay? Anyone working on it?

Hey, I already submitted my visa application. Honestly, I basically just said I have no connection to Australia and would like to return and be a physician in canada. I've heard it's not that scary haha. As long as you don't say you plan on staying in the country and are using the student visa as a way in, you're fine.

Hey, I already submitted my visa application. Honestly, I basically just said I have no connection to Australia and would like to return and be a physician in canada. I've heard it's not that scary haha. As long as you don't say you plan on staying in the country and are using the student visa as a way in, you're fine.

Hey there, did you include any proof of your living arrangements/housing there? I'm not sure if that's a requirement or not

Hey guys, for the Genuine temporary entrant essay, what are we supposed to include as supporting documents?

Hey guys, for the Genuine temporary entrant essay, what are we supposed to include as supporting documents?
I have a friend last year that wrote like 4 sentences and no attachments lol.
I used all 2000 char and attached transcript as well as offer letters from my employers for the last 2 jobs I've had over the previous 3 years. Just showing my education was relevant to the degree I'm seeking now, and I was employed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there, did you include any proof of your living arrangements/housing there? I'm not sure if that's a requirement or not
Nope, I don't know my housing there so didn't state anything. I don't even remember if there was something asking that. I don't think they expect people to find housing with having a visa.

Nope, I don't know my housing there so didn't state anything. I don't even remember if there was something asking that. I don't think they expect people to find housing with having a visa.

Any advice/thoughts on how to best get Compliance Package done before December 9th? (The university's email said no documents will be actioned on after this date??). I'm mainly figuring out which Australian Criminal record check I have to get and how tf they mail to Canada in time before the deadline.

Any advice/thoughts on how to best get Compliance Package done before December 9th? (The university's email said no documents will be actioned on after this date??). I'm mainly figuring out which Australian Criminal record check I have to get and how tf they mail to Canada in time before the deadline.
I'm going to figure that out on Monday! I haven't looked at it very carefully yet. Let me know what you find!

I'm looking into it as well, but if says no documents will be actioned over Christmas shutdown. So things will still be actioned outside of that.
Also I only skimmed through it but I thought it said we could get the police check through our own personal police station, or otherwise get it done there when we arrive? I'll have to look in more detail.

I'm looking into it as well, but if says no documents will be actioned over Christmas shutdown. So things will still be actioned outside of that.
Also I only skimmed through it but I thought it said we could get the police check through our own personal police station, or otherwise get it done there when we arrive? I'll have to look in more detail.

Yeah, I'm not sure either. I think I would just need aCanadian police check? Not Australian?

Yeah, I'm not sure either. I think I would just need aCanadian police check? Not Australian?
Yeah I mean I've never lived in Australia. So looking for a criminal record check in Australia would seem entirely pointless. And for them to check our Canadian record is also seemingly pointless as they'd have to go through our police anyways so just double the work. Who knows, maybe that truly is the case, but neither would make much sense lol. I'll have to look at the documents but based on that I'd assume it's our own local record check.

I talked some more with the OzTrekk agent, she basically said the local check is what is req'd for now, and just wait until orientation for both the Workign With Children (Blue Book) check and the Australian Crim. Check (because you'll need an australian address anyways). I was just kinda getting worried because waiting to get things mailed back and forth from Aus would make a December 9th deadline be super tight.

Anyways, now I have to dig up all these vaccination records ASAP!

I talked some more with the OzTrekk agent, she basically said the local check is what is req'd for now, and just wait until orientation for both the Workign With Children (Blue Book) check and the Australian Crim. Check (because you'll need an australian address anyways). I was just kinda getting worried because waiting to get things mailed back and forth from Aus would make a December 9th deadline be super tight.

Anyways, now I have to dig up all these vaccination records ASAP!
If you are from Toronto , you can call Public Health for your immunization record and they will email it to you promptly .
You still need to do medical after you submitted your visa application. Your visa approval will be on hold until they have received your final medical report from the doctor that they recommend. Good Luck!

How does everyone feel about the 10 year moratorium? Also is this a new thing because previous USyd students never mentioned it.

How does everyone feel about the 10 year moratorium? Also is this a new thing because previous USyd students never mentioned it.
It's a thing that applies to grads of foreign medical schools that want to practice in Australia, not grads of USydney. In what context did you hear this?

No it applies to us as well. We are considered foreign graduates of accredited medical schools (FGAMS). FGAMS is any "medical practitioners who obtained their primary medical degree at an AMC accredited medical school in Australia or New Zealand but who were not permanent residents or citizens of either country on the day they enrolled in their degree."

It has to do with billing Medicare as a consultant. It almost always takes more than 10 years to become a consultant in Australia so it’s irrelevant for the majority of people that got their degree here.

Last edited:
No it applies to us as well. We are considered foreign graduates of accredited medical schools (FGAMS). FGAMS is any "medical practitioners who obtained their primary medical degree at an AMC accredited medical school in Australia or New Zealand but who were not permanent residents or citizens of either country on the day they enrolled in their degree."

Yes it applies also to Canadians / Americans who are going to Australia to study. 10 year moratorium starts when you are registered and must work in priority areas . If you are looking to become a GP, you are only allowed to
take the rural pathway and not the General pathway.

Yes it applies also to Canadians / Americans who are going to Australia to study. 10 year moratorium starts when you are registered and must work in priority areas . If you are looking to become a GP, you are only allowed to
take the rural pathway and not the General pathway.
So this only applies to GPs not other specialties?

Guys this is confusing. Those who raised this topic could you cite a source so the rest of us can look it up? There's just soo much information online and so many nuances it's hard to vet what's credible. Appreciate y'all

Last edited:
I'm confused about this as well... Does this affect internships?

ADDIT: on second look, it seems like this is nothing new and has been around for a few years? It doesn't affect internships as we are only fully registered after the internship year. We will have to work in areas covered under the moratorium for a period of 10 years but these areas can be relatively close to a major city. It also seems like we'd have to go the rural GP or speciality route.

So surgical specialities are out and this won't change even with any future adjustments in citizenship?

So sur
I'm confused about this as well... Does this affect internships?

ADDIT: on second look, it seems like this is nothing new and has been around for a few years? It doesn't affect internships as we are only fully registered after the internship year. We will have to work in areas covered under the moratorium for a period of 10 years but these areas can be relatively close to a major city. It also seems like we'd have to go the rural GP or speciality route.
sursp

Also have ppl tried calling the HETI office and found helpful responses?

Did everybody else get the notification about needing to re-enrol because of a technical error resulting in enrolment into the pre-2020 program? Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one haha.

Did everybody else get the notification about needing to re-enrol because of a technical error resulting in enrolment into the pre-2020 program? Just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one haha.

Yep! Annoying issue but I think it's sorted.

Any ideas on if possible to travel to Australia (with a Canadian visa) while the visa is processing? The panel physician is booked, but that + Student Visa processing time might mean that I would arrive in Oz before the visa is approved. I've hear its possible to travel on the ETA while it processes, but just wanted to confirm if so..Any insight would be awesome!

Any ideas on if possible to travel to Australia (with a Canadian visa) while the visa is processing? The panel physician is booked, but that + Student Visa processing time might mean that I would arrive in Oz before the visa is approved. I've hear its possible to travel on the ETA while it processes, but just wanted to confirm if so..Any insight would be awesome!
I think you are not allowed to do that and I suggest call the Australian Embassy/Consulate to get better clarification. You will be asked when you arrive the purpose of your visit when you arrive and as far as I know you can be deported without the proper entry visa. It’s better to arrive late in my opinion. Good Luck.

I think you are not allowed to do that and I suggest call the Australian Embassy/Consulate to get better clarification. You will be asked when you arrive the purpose of your visit when you arrive and as far as I know you can be deported without the proper entry visa. It’s better to arrive late in my opinion. Good Luck.
Called the dept. of Home Affairs. Canadians atleast, can travel on an ETA visa (subclass 601) for $20 to travel for upto 3 months in Aus while their STUDENT visa is processing. So if it's a non-working visa, this method is OK to travel to OZ while it processes. Apparently the approval for the ETA is same-day so thats a relief!

Hi I know this is an old thread, but what do you think my chances are for USYD? I have a 504 mcat, and a GPA of 3.46