2020 VA HPSP (Pharmacy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nicxopharm

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I thought that making this thread would be helpful to connect those of us who applied to the VA HPSP for Pharmacy this year.

Has everyone finished the application process? Has anyone heard back yet? If you feel comfortable, please feel free to share your stats and updates during this process. Good luck to everyone! ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wish I would have known about these years ago. After my one year as a GS-12 I'm going to start looking for GS-13 positions that offer EDRP since I refinanced to private loans and can't get the other loan forgiveness program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Note, this is somewhat qualifications driven, but it is more driven by station needs. If your station has a hard time hiring, this is definitely offered, but for stations that have a surfeit of applications, then the money from Academic Affiliations goes to practitioners that are in shortage. There is one exception, the RN's ALWAYS have sufficient funding for their academically qualified candidates due to both turnover and Office of Nursing Services priorities (and underpay at the N1 and N2 bands).

Reactions: 1 users
Note, this is somewhat qualifications driven, but it is more driven by station needs. If your station has a hard time hiring, this is definitely offered, but for stations that have a surfeit of applications, then the money from Academic Affiliations goes to practitioners that are in shortage. There is one exception, the RN's ALWAYS have sufficient funding for their academically qualified candidates due to both turnover and Office of Nursing Services priorities (and underpay at the N1 and N2 bands).

So I'm guessing that someone who has already graduated from pharmacy school obviously wouldn't qualify for this?

So I'm guessing that someone who has already graduated from pharmacy school obviously wouldn't qualify for this?
No, not for this specific scholarship program. You still have to be enrolled in an accredited program. However, they do have repayment and reimbursement programs for working with the VA. I’m adding a link for all the different programs that they have to offer:

VA Education Support

Reactions: 2 users
No, it's usually EDRP but pharmacists are not offered it commonly anymore. Aren't you going IT though?

Which sucks for those of us who refinanced to private loans. I specifically asked for EDRP for my job but it wasn't authorized. Always on the lookout though!

No, it's usually EDRP but pharmacists are not offered it commonly anymore. Aren't you going IT though?

I'm looking into pursuing a CS/IT program but would definitely jump on any inpatient opportunity (VA or otherwise) I'd be considered qualified for. In the event that I actually do find a job, I'll probably still take CS courses on a part-time basis. I'm surprised I hadn't heard of the VA scholarship until just recently, as this is something I would've applied for as a student had I been aware of it. Have they only started offering it within the last year or so?

I'm looking into pursuing a CS/IT program but would definitely jump on any inpatient opportunity (VA or otherwise) I'd be considered qualified for. In the event that I actually do find a job, I'll probably still take CS courses on a part-time basis. I'm surprised I hadn't heard of the VA scholarship until just recently, as this is something I would've applied for as a student had I been aware of it. Have they only started offering it within the last year or so?
From my understanding, yes, it is a new national scholarship program. I believe the committee is only selecting 25 students for this year. However, I don’t know if that number will change or stay the same for the following application cycles.

From my understanding, yes, it is a new national scholarship program. I believe the committee is only selecting 25 students for this year. However, I don’t know if that number will change or stay the same for the following application cycles.

Appreciate the info; so that's why I had never heard of it back when I was in pharmacy school. Oh well, I guess timing just wasn't on my side with that one.

It's actually been around for years. The twist on this that is different is normally, this is only offered to internal staff only in training, and that is called EISP. It's been named different things over the years, but this "cash for commitment" plan allows us to reach out to prospective good candidates in hard to fill areas without them already being internal employees or vets (those internal still get targeted by EISP). This is especially useful in reaching out to nurses, rad techs, and other allied health that would not normally even rotate in a VA. I've always been in favor of this outreach provided that the person gets some pre-commitment time working as the VA (and civil service) is a vastly different place.

It's actually been around for years. The twist on this that is different is normally, this is only offered to internal staff only in training, and that is called EISP. It's been named different things over the years, but this "cash for commitment" plan allows us to reach out to prospective good candidates in hard to fill areas without them already being internal employees or vets (those internal still get targeted by EISP). This is especially useful in reaching out to nurses, rad techs, and other allied health that would not normally even rotate in a VA. I've always been in favor of this outreach provided that the person gets some pre-commitment time working as the VA (and civil service) is a vastly different place.

If a new grad was interested in working at a hard-to-fill VA site, would they have a chance of being considered without connections? Or would that scholarship have been their only way in (if they'd been eligible to apply for it 1-2 years ago when they were still a pharmacy student)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, the VA HPSP is relatively new, started around 5 years ago I believe. But this year is the first year they've offered it to pharmacy students. Before, it's only been PA and nursing.

Does this scholarship pay the full cost of tuition, and how competitive is it?

Does this scholarship pay the full cost of tuition, and how competitive is it?
It covers full tuition, books, fees, and includes a monthly stipend for living expenses.

There are 25 students being selected this year across the country. Someone working with the VA told me that on average the GPA for those accepted is above a 3.8, so it is very competitive. If you are a Veteran, you have preference over those of us who aren’t. This may make it even more competitive for those who haven’t served.

It covers full tuition, books, fees, and includes a monthly stipend for living expenses.

There are 25 students being selected this year across the country. Someone working with the VA told me that on average the GPA for those accepted is above a 3.8, so it is very competitive. If you are a Veteran, you have preference over those of us who aren’t. This may make it even more competitive for those who haven’t served.

Keep us updated if you get it. I'd be interested to wonder how many vets actually try to apply since most are already a priority for interviews (which i understand doesn't necessarily imply anything). I am not applying myself as I am under Chapter 31 benefits to have schooling covered.

Good luck.

Hi! May I know where you heard that the number was 25? I read somewhere that it was 50, but with so many different sources I don't know what's correct anymore.

Unless you're a vet, the scholarship is pretty much impossible to get, I guess. Twenty-five slots/year is pretty low, and almost anyone can get into pharmacy school these days.

How hard is it to get a pharmacy job with the government? What kind of stuff do they look for in an applicant? It seems those are pretty much the only pharmacy jobs worth getting, from what I've understood.

I have an acceptance at a state pharmacy school with acceptance deferred for one year, but at this point I highly doubt I will go through with it. Tuition is on the "cheaper side" (~100k for entire 4 years), but there's still the job market to contend with.

It shocked me how easy the process was. I have a really high GPA and everything, but basically I applied, got interview a couple of weeks later and acceptance offer the next day. I knew that the job market has tightened in recent years, but it was a real eye-opener once I went through the process. A college acquaintance of mine is a pharmacy manager (2019 graduate) and basically told me "Don't worry, there are still jobs in retail if you move, and if you do a PGY1 or PGY2, you will easily find a job in a hospital/clinical setting! All of my classmates in pharmacy were idiots and wanted to just work at Walmart and not move to find a job!"

After looking through various pharmacy forums and keeping tabs on the job market threads and job postings on sites like Indeed, I am beginning to think this guy flat-out lied to me. It also speaks volumes about a profession when its members are so quick to throw each other under the bus and have a low opinion of their own colleagues.

Right now I'm just going to study the MCAT and GRE and will apply to medical school and PA programs.

Last edited:
Hi! May I know where you heard that the number was 25? I read somewhere that it was 50, but with so many different sources I don't know what's correct anymore.
The school that I attend had a presentation from someone who worked at the VA and oversees the scholarship program. During this presentation, they said there will be 25 people who will be accepted into the program.
I also heard 50 people but that may apply to all the other scholarships they offer for MD, PA, nursing, etc.

Unless you're a vet, the scholarship is pretty much impossible to get, I guess. Twenty-five slots/year is pretty low, and almost anyone can get into pharmacy school these days.

How hard is it to get a pharmacy job with the government? What kind of stuff do they look for in an applicant? It seems those are pretty much the only pharmacy jobs worth getting, from what I've understood.

I have an acceptance at a state pharmacy school with acceptance deferred for one year, but at this point I highly doubt I will go through with it. Tuition is on the "cheaper side" (~100k for entire 4 years), but there's still the job market to contend with.

It shocked me how easy the process was. I have a really high GPA and everything, but basically I applied, got interview a couple of weeks later and acceptance offer the next day. I knew that the job market has tightened in recent years, but it was a real eye-opener once I went through the process. A college acquaintance of mine is a pharmacy manager (2019 graduate) and basically told me "Don't worry, there are still jobs in retail if you move, and if you do a PGY1 or PGY2, you will easily find a job in a hospital/clinical setting! All of my classmates in pharmacy were idiots and wanted to just work at Walmart and not move to find a job!"

After looking through various pharmacy forums and keeping tabs on the job market threads and job postings on sites like Indeed, I am beginning to think this guy flat-out lied to me. It also speaks volumes about a profession when its members are so quick to throw each other under the bus and have a low opinion of their own colleagues.

Right now I'm just going to study the MCAT and GRE and will apply to medical school and PA programs.
Good luck, hope it works out!!

These types of posts have been talked over in many forums so please check those and educate yourself before you begin. As a pharmacy student in my last year I can tell you that yes pharmacy is not a good of a job market as it used to be and esp. not good if you compare to other professions like PA, NP, MD/DO, etc. However, if you go into pharmacy thinking it's going to be a easy transition to a 6 figure job that is not true. You have to bust your a** just like any other professional school and set yourself APART! I can't emphasize the setting youreslf apart portion (in a good way of course) or else it will be rough. But if you do not have the passion to serve at the pharmacy level and trying to get into a stable job life within healthcare etc you can look into other options.

I don't know how many pharmacy applicants there were this year, but I already know 7 people who have applied for this. I just reread the descriptions, and they said either 50 spots, or 10% of their staff shortage, so I'm assuming they're not in as much need for pharmacists as other professions.

Last edited:
I retract my other reply. That is good news! I am glad the mission act of 2018 is able to push programs like these and esp for this profession and moving forward. I believe we can utilize the pharmacy career to it's full potential!
I do think this is one of the best programs for pharmacy. I wish you the best of luck! And keep us updated. Since you’re a Veteran, you may hear back before I do.

I don't know how many pharmacy applicants there were this year, but I already know 7 people who have applied for this. I just reread the descriptions, and they said either 50 spots, or 10% of their staff shortage, so I'm assuming they're not in as much need for pharmacists as other professions.
You know 7 who applied for the pharmacy program? And I’m sure that it is because pharmacists aren’t in high demand which is why there are less spots.

You know 7 who applied for the pharmacy program? And I’m sure that it is because pharmacists aren’t in high demand which is why there are less spots.
Not all personally, though! Only 2 of them are from my school. The rest are people who have been discussing the scholarship on other forums. Before you made this thread I was following hpsp physician and PA, and there were some pharmacy applicants in there as well.

And I agree with you. With the saturated job market, it makes sense that there would be less demand for pharmacists.

Not all personally, though! Only 2 of them are from my school. The rest are people who have been discussing the scholarship on other forums. Before you made this thread I was following hpsp physician and PA, and there were some pharmacy applicants in there as well.

And I agree with you. With the saturated job market, it makes sense that there would be less demand for pharmacists.
I do think with this being so new that there won’t be a large pool of applicants (compared to physician and PA). Like it is still very competitive, but many at my school didn’t apply due to the average GPA or the commitment to move or just for not wanting to work at the VA. It will be interesting to see how this program will grow or change in the next few years. I’m sure it will even become more and more competitive.

I do think with this being so new that there won’t be a large pool of applicants (compared to physician and PA). Like it is still very competitive, but many at my school didn’t apply due to the average GPA or the commitment to move or just for not wanting to work at the VA. It will be interesting to see how this program will grow or change in the next few years. I’m sure it will even become more and more competitive.

SO I read the document posted above carefully and the number 50 and 10% was alluding to the physicians (AKA medical officers) ONLY those key points because they also include the 18 months service obligation which the other professionals are at 2 years minimum. I am assumming the recruiter that talked to your school (which kudos to your school!) sounds like they might be actually looking to give either 25 scholarships or 25 years worth for pharmacy or other professionals excluding physicians, meaning a student needing 4 years paid might even be able to receive all 4 years paid out of the 25 years pie. I hope! *fingers crossed*

Keep us updated if you get it. I'd be interested to wonder how many vets actually try to apply since most are already a priority for interviews (which i understand doesn't necessarily imply anything). I am not applying myself as I am under Chapter 31 benefits to have schooling covered.

Good luck.

I was debating this issue (using Ch. 33 at state school), not on Ch. 31 though because plans initially was to commission but due to family issues and that fact Ch. 33 is not guaranteeing me a job I decided to apply for that one year (VA Hpsp) with Ch. 33 benefits leftover so hoping to just save that 1 extra year! Wishing you the best of luck!

I was debating this issue (using Ch. 33 at state school), not on Ch. 31 though because plans initially was to commission but due to family issues and that fact Ch. 33 is not guaranteeing me a job I decided to apply for that one year (VA Hpsp) with Ch. 33 benefits leftover so hoping to just save that 1 extra year! Wishing you the best of luck!

I admit I was considering this at one point as well (overlook the VR&E 31 Benefits for a guaranteed VA slot upon graduation). However with my SCD rating being high and already having experience working with the computer system as a tech I justified that I may be better off than most for a position (transferred to an on base VA hospital setting in the pharmacy MOS before getting med boarded). A side of me still knows that even as a disabled vet, I would be foolish to say I have a secure slot upon graduation (far from it). I start my APPEs next year so if the scholarship is still considered for pharmacy at that time I may apply for security purposes (VA is my top priority for work and has been for awhile).

We are fortunate to have schooling covered but you are right on point about the comfort of having a secured job through this VA program. Definitely is something to not ignore.

If you have a 5 or 10 point preference, you've got a really good shot at getting a position. If you have any questions on the VA hiring process I'd be happy to help walk you through it.

Last edited:

Kudos to you. Don’t listen to people that still pump sunshine on this profession. If you work hard in medicine or pa you will be rewarded. There have been many posts on this forum where top students in pharmacy did not get matched into a residency program anywhere because there is not enough residency programs or completed two years of residency and still couldn’t find a pharmacy job. Also many practicing hospital pharmacists are getting furloughed or laid off left and right.

This profession of pharmacy is on its last legs and is about to go extinct. You made the right choice to pursue medicine, or PA school. FYI, many PA programs will take your MCAT score too.

If you have a 5 or 10 point preference, you've got a really good shot at getting a position. If you have any questions on the VA hiring process I'd be happy to help walk you through it.

It's been awhile since I last checked, but to my understanding if an individual qualified for the 10 point preference, they would also be placed in 1 of 5 sub-category preference groups (in my case, CPS category with an SCD of 30% or more).

I think for something like pharmacy the category preferences for SCD vets are not used for the professional positions? That's my assumption from when I checked when I left active duty a year ago.

For the hiring, would you have to wait until you actually have the NAPLEX score in hand before even considering to apply at graduation? I heard that pending licensure applications get tossed without an actual pass rating in hand. This may be something to consider with the scholarship as you can bypass that waiting period. Again though I am not sure but wondering if you might be able to clarify this.... much appreciated

Wish I would have known about these years ago. After my one year as a GS-12 I'm going to start looking for GS-13 positions that offer EDRP since I refinanced to private loans and can't get the other loan forgiveness program.

Big note: You can't without prior negotiation. EDRP is only offered on initial hire without a huge process, and it used to never be offered to current employees. This changed last year, but you have to bring it up to HR BEFORE getting your final offer letter or what is in there is in there. Basically, it has to be offered to anyone who is interviewing as a condition, not a post negotiation. It does interfere in the 10 year plan as it adjusts your income (any tuition offset always does change the payback calculation as some of the uniformed people getting IRS and DoD attention has now figured out).

This is incorrect for Title 38 pharmacist (0660) hires. The 5 or 10 point preference is considered, but the Professional Standards Board may override this in their hires due to the profession being exceptional. This allows situations where a position is hired with a non-vet rather than a vet. In the normal Title V hires, you actually do not even get the selection list until you rule out the 10 point preferences and sometimes even the 5 if qualified. Although pharmacy is not in the OIG 5 right now, it still is under the Title V list and overrides the requirement. The professional needs the agency override preference. There is off-the-record stuff that I can say when you make a 13 and at competitive state, but veterans preference does not as strong an override here as in other areas.

However, should someone be a veteran, have any one of the preferences, and has at least a neutral track record within the VA (or is subject to the VoRehab or other Title 38 matters), it is really hard to not consider for an entry position. The other issue is that if someone has served an honorable term as uniformed, they are not public hires, they are noncompetitive ones (means that they always get considered as internal candidates) as they already have the 03 career designation on their file.

Last edited:
For the hiring, would you have to wait until you actually have the NAPLEX score in hand before even considering to apply at graduation? I heard that pending licensure applications get tossed without an actual pass rating in hand. This may be something to consider with the scholarship as you can bypass that waiting period. Again though I am not sure but wondering if you might be able to clarify this.... much appreciated

The PSB is not supposed to toss them, but they do. Especially if you are already Career through other means (Uniformed or otherwise), that would be appealable (and I have seen those appeals succeed for the right reasons).

• Hmm
Big note: You can't without prior negotiation. EDRP is only offered on initial hire without a huge process, and it used to never be offered to current employees. This changed last year, but you have to bring it up to HR BEFORE getting your final offer letter or what is in there is in there. Basically, it has to be offered to anyone who is interviewing as a condition, not a post negotiation. It does interfere in the 10 year plan as it adjusts your income (any tuition offset always does change the payback calculation as some of the uniformed people getting IRS and DoD attention has now figured out).

Yeah I always look specifically for the EDRP offer in each job posting. I actually did ask for it here at my current hospital but it wasn't authorized.

Has anyone heard back yet?
I was referred 5/17 and rejected on 6/17. I'm a rising P2 so it was less likely for me to get it since they would have to fund me for 3 years. I will definitely try to reapply next year! This scholarship must be extremely competitive, I haven't seen anyone in pharmacy get it yet from the forums I've been on!

I was referred on 5/29, and rejected today, 6/29. @NonTradPharmStudent hope you receive an update soon! @clc6 Wish you the best of luck next year!

I was referred 5/17 and rejected on 6/17. I'm a rising P2 so it was less likely for me to get it since they would have to fund me for 3 years. I will definitely try to reapply next year! This scholarship must be extremely competitive, I haven't seen anyone in pharmacy get it yet from the forums I've been on!

Sorry to read that. It is competitive from what I've read as well and I'm still curious how many people applied this cycle.

I'll be starting my APPEs next year but I think I will go ahead and apply when the time comes (just for the sake of securing a job site). I appreciate everyone for the follow up!

Yes I have been selected as alternate anyone else?
Congrats on alternate! Hopefully you will hear news back soon.
I was referred on 5/29, and rejected today, 6/29. @NonTradPharmStudent hope you receive an update soon! @clc6 Wish you the best of luck next year!
I'm sorry to hear that to both of y'all. This application cycle seems really competitive because I don't know anyone who has been accepted yet either. If you reapply next year, I wish you the very best of luck. Thank you all for sharing!

I am an incoming P2 and was referred on 5/17, but I haven't heard back yet.

I know this forum is pretty dead but if anyone is still waiting to hear back, I received word that final decisions will be made by the end of the next week for pharmacy.

I won’t lie, I’m very nervous! Good luck to everyone!

I know this forum is pretty dead but if anyone is still waiting to hear back, I received word that final decisions will be made by the end of the next week for pharmacy.

I won’t lie, I’m very nervous! Good luck to everyone!
Hope you hear back with some good news! Most people who were referred on 5/17 got their decisions exactly 1 month later but they were all rejections, so I'd say this is a good sign for you :) (knock on wood) Please let us know if you receive any updates!

Hope you hear back with some good news! Most people who were referred on 5/17 got their decisions exactly 1 month later but they were all rejections, so I'd say this is a good sign for you :) (knock on wood) Please let us know if you receive any updates!
Thank you! I’ll keep you all updated (fingers crossed).

Thank you and wishing you the very best in your future endeavors and there are many opportunities not just within the VA component but in DoD, IHS, etc components as well so keep looking and go after your goals!

Congrats on alternate! Hopefully you will hear news back soon.

I'm sorry to hear that to both of y'all. This application cycle seems really competitive because I don't know anyone who has been accepted yet either. If you reapply next year, I wish you the very best of luck. Thank you all for sharing!

I am an incoming P2 and was referred on 5/17, but I haven't heard back yet.

Same here, so far I do not know of anyone who got accepted. The alternate list will be used when funding becomes available after October of this year.

Same here, so far I do not know of anyone who got accepted. The alternate list will be used when funding becomes available after October of this year.
I guess they may do acceptances last or it could just be that competitive. If you don’t mind me asking, did they say how many are on the alternate list? Or did they provide any other information?

Last edited:
Hi all! Late to the party lol but I applied in April and was placed as an alternate in May. Still waiting to hear back. Like someone mentioned, I know a few people who’ve applied but they were either rejected or an alternate. I’ve seen a lot of med students get the scholarship though!
@Nicxopharm Did Scott Dixon tell you the decisions will be made next week?

I guess they may do acceptances last or it could just be that competitive. If you don’t mind me asking, did they say how many are on the alternate list? Or did they provide any other information?
My email didn’t state how many were on the alternate list, just that decisions will be made by September 1st.

Hi all! Late to the party lol but I applied in April and was placed as an alternate in May. Still waiting to hear back. Like someone mentioned, I know a few people who’ve applied but they were either rejected or an alternate. I’ve seen a lot of med students get the scholarship though!
@Nicxopharm Did Scott Dixon tell you the decisions will be made next week?
Welcome! Yes, I emailed him regarding an update to my application and he basically said that the committee should have results back by the end of next week.