2020 VA HPSP (Pharmacy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess they may do acceptances last or it could just be that competitive. If you don’t mind me asking, did they say how many are on the alternate list? Or did they provide any other information?

No I did not really ask how many are on the list, but alternate list was due to available funds which needs still needs approval for next fiscal year

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I got a response a few days ago and was placed under alternate status. Hoping for good news in October/November with the next fiscal year. Currently do not know anyone who was selected. Just started rotations two weeks ago. Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
It's actually been around for years. The twist on this that is different is normally, this is only offered to internal staff only in training, and that is called EISP. It's been named different things over the years, but this "cash for commitment" plan allows us to reach out to prospective good candidates in hard to fill areas without them already being internal employees or vets (those internal still get targeted by EISP). This is especially useful in reaching out to nurses, rad techs, and other allied health that would not normally even rotate in a VA. I've always been in favor of this outreach provided that the person gets some pre-commitment time working as the VA (and civil service) is a vastly different place.

is EISP an option for pharmacy students employed at the VA? I recall hearing about it but thought HPSP and previously VALOR were the only ways for students to get exposure to the VA

Members don't see this ad :)
is EISP an option for pharmacy students employed at the VA? I recall hearing about it but thought HPSP and previously VALOR were the only ways for students to get exposure to the VA

I forget whether the current circumstances allow non-career status to enter EISP. This seesaws from year-to-year.

I forget whether the current circumstances allow non-career status to enter EISP. This seesaws from year-to-year.
what determines weather you are career status? I am part time excepted service and will be permanent if I am not mistaken after 1 year in the service.

what determines weather you are career status? I am part time excepted service and will be permanent if I am not mistaken after 1 year in the service.
Nope, Excepted stays Excepted. You have to be in a career status to turn permanent.

I got a response a few days ago and was placed under alternate status. Hoping for good news in October/November with the next fiscal year. Currently do not know anyone who was selected. Just started rotations two weeks ago. Good luck to everyone!
What was the timeline of your application?

I think the news we are waiting for will come next week. I had a dream about it

Late to this post but...

Seems like this is what VALOR changed to this year. We were talking about this at work. Students used to be able to do VALOR which is an "internship" where they help out their local VA medical center, get paid pretty well, and in turn it looks good on their CV in terms of applying to VA residencies/employment (but doesn't mandate them to apply). Seems like this new iteration removes the internship component, and instead makes you agree to taking a job at the VA when and where one exists (with deferment for residency possible). Also, if you do do a residency in, say, infectious diseases, and there are no ID jobs available, you would have to take a different job (e.g. staff pharmacist) and would not be allowed to take an ID job in the private sector instead. Just wanted to highlight that these are considerations you should think about when applying for this program. It is a good program for those who want to get a staff position at the VA without a residency, especially those who are OK with moving anywhere in the country. Otherwise, really think about what you are signing up for.

Late to this post but...

Seems like this is what VALOR changed to this year. We were talking about this at work. Students used to be able to do VALOR which is an "internship" where they help out their local VA medical center, get paid pretty well, and in turn it looks good on their CV in terms of applying to VA residencies/employment (but doesn't mandate them to apply). Seems like this new iteration removes the internship component, and instead makes you agree to taking a job at the VA when and where one exists (with deferment for residency possible). Also, if you do do a residency in, say, infectious diseases, and there are no ID jobs available, you would have to take a different job (e.g. staff pharmacist) and would not be allowed to take an ID job in the private sector instead. Just wanted to highlight that these are considerations you should think about when applying for this program. It is a good program for those who want to get a staff position at the VA without a residency, especially those who are OK with moving anywhere in the country. Otherwise, really think about what you are signing up for.
Thanks for your input! They make all of this very clear before even applying and I’m sure it’s reinforced before signing the contract. If that is the case where you cannot get a job placement in what your residency was in, the commitment is only 2-3 years. You could knock that out quickly, earning a decent salary, then find your dream job. I, and I’m sure a lot of other people who applied, would prefer getting nearly free schooling and have a guaranteed job after graduation so this program is perfect. It would suck not applying for this program, doing an ID residency and not getting an ID job or any other pharmacy job. With the job market saturation, job outlook, and increasing amount of school and loans, this program is honestly a God send! There’s always something to fall back on with HPSP.

You could knock that out quickly, earning a decent salary, then find your dream job. I, and I’m sure a lot of other people who applied, would prefer getting nearly free schooling and have a guaranteed job after graduation so this program is perfect.
With the job market saturation, job outlook, and increasing amount of school and loans, this program is honestly a God send! There’s always something to fall back on with HPSP.

Until they get assigned to Marion, Northport, Phoenix, St. Louis, or other special stations...

@bacillus1 is right. This is basically LDA for healthcare providers as the market adjustment for retention costs more. Those in the know, keep your feelings to yourself as you can appreciate the irony.

Asked earlier about whether one can be happy at VA or not, I certainly do for these moments. It doesn't make me a better person, but I have grown to enjoy it.

Put another way, you should ask VA pharmacists what a mobility agreement is and whether they would sign it for 200k. You might find the answers illuminating.

But they don't ask, so why not see what OHRM has in store for them? Much of the learning is to set boundaries around bureaucratic participation and all the 'winners' are going to learn.

Members don't see this ad :)
Until they get assigned to Marion, Northport, Phoenix, St. Louis, or other special stations...

@bacillus1 is right. This is basically LDA for healthcare providers as the market adjustment for retention costs more. Those in the know, keep your feelings to yourself as you can appreciate the irony.

Asked earlier about whether one can be happy at VA or not, I certainly do for these moments. It doesn't make me a better person, but I have grown to enjoy it.

Put another way, you should ask VA pharmacists what a mobility agreement is and whether they would sign it for 200k. You might find the answers illuminating.

But they don't ask, so why not see what OHRM has in store for them? Much of the learning is to set boundaries around bureaucratic participation and all the 'winners' are going to learn.
Haha well I guess that’s a risk we’re willing to take

Do they try and work with you in terms of relocation preference or are you basically at the whim of their decision?

Do they try and work with you in terms of relocation preference or are you basically at the whim of their decision?
From what I’ve read in different forums they do try to work with you. I think you pick like 5-6 locations you’d like to be placed and they try to accommodate that but if none of those are open then they can place you anywhere. They give you some choice in placement.

From what I’ve read in different forums they do try to work with you. I think you pick like 5-6 locations you’d like to be placed and they try to accommodate that but if none of those are open then they can place you anywhere. They give you some choice in placement.

Anyone who is a veteran want to explain how Army EDAS or one of the other services' assignment systems work? I'm laughing too hard to type.

Anyone who is a veteran want to explain how Army EDAS or one of the other services' assignment systems work? I'm laughing too hard to type.

Oh I remember this one. You have your 'wish list' that you give to your detailer and then they pick one for you that wasn't even on your list.

Reactions: 2 users
Like MEPS all over again. As well as every other duty station under the DOD I’ve ever “not” wanted.

Oh I remember this one. You have your 'wish list' that you give to your detailer and then they pick one for you that wasn't even on your list.

So, it's like this as the vets weighed in. If you just so happened to name yourself to one of the stations that is in orbit to be assigned, they will respect your preferences and assign you there as they need to anyway and you're both happy. If all of your choices do not match what HR has on their list, you'll get one on that list with no consideration for your preferences, and you MUST move at your own expense to wherever within a pay period. That list is not locally determined, it is part of the OHRM Workforce and Manpower, which is as close to being the most evil organization in the business even by District standards.

That's if they don't hate you. I know stories, and that's why you never abuse your personnel clerk or assignments director.

That's why...:kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:, because it's better than crying.

So, it's like this as the vets weighed in. If you just so happened to name yourself to one of the stations that is in orbit to be assigned, they will respect your preferences and assign you there as they need to anyway and you're both happy. If all of your choices do not match what HR has on their list, you'll get one on that list with no consideration for your preferences, and you MUST move at your own expense to wherever within a pay period. That list is not locally determined, it is part of the OHRM Workforce and Manpower, which is as close to being the most evil organization in the business even by District standards.

That's if they don't hate you. I know stories, and that's why you never abuse your personnel clerk or assignments director.

I remember my last duty station before I got out of the Marines. I was coming from overseas and all of my requests were to go east coast. They sent me to California.

Quit being bitter! The Army worked with me when I joined. After I was told none of the three sites I wanted were available, they were nice enough to ask me what my geographical preference would be. Being that I lived in Florida and Georgia all of my life, I asked for any assignment near snow, mountains, or both. I was thinking I'd get Fort Drum in upstate NY, or maybe Fort Wainwright in Alaska, or Fort Lewis in Seattle. I received a congratulations note with my orders to San Antonio, Texas for 4 years. See the system works!!!

On a serious note, I've been lucky enough to never have had a bad assignment. Sometimes the bad locations work out really well.

Quit being bitter! The Army worked with me when I joined. After I was told none of the three sites I wanted were available, they were nice enough to ask me what my geographical preference would be. Being that I lived in Florida and Georgia all of my life, I asked for any assignment near snow, mountains, or both. I was thinking I'd get Fort Drum in upstate NY, or maybe Fort Wainwright in Alaska, or Fort Lewis in Seattle. I received a congratulations note with my orders to San Antonio, Texas for 4 years. See the system works!!!

On a serious note, I've been lucky enough to never have had a bad assignment. Sometimes the bad locations work out really well.

I did get the chance to work under the realms of Fort Sam Houston and actually loved the area surrounding the post (it was a step up from Fort Hood).

My respect for your patience because coming from a tech - 68Q point of view, I couldn't handle working the sick call clinic in the morning, take off to camp bullis by high noon, then go back to BAMC outpatient only to make sure I end at the community "trailer" pharmacy to finish out the verified meds for the day (mostly to the GSL drawers) and lock up the pharmacy before having to get up and do it again. It did get better once more help showed up between AIT graduates every 6 months or so (then I stuck to Camp Bullis and enjoyed my time staying there for as long as I could). I just wasn't used to working with civilian schedules while covering 4 different pharmacy locations a day over a 15 hour period for a few weeks at a time.

not trying to steal the thread, but which VA locations are best for pharmacist growth and organization culture? some internal perspective would be great, DM me if its very specific! Thanks all!

not trying to steal the thread, but which VA locations are best for pharmacist growth and organization culture? some internal perspective would be great, DM me if its very specific! Thanks all!

Currently, I've heard good things about Tucson and San Francisco. However, keep in mind that these things change as pharmacy leadership changes. I have heard of things going significantly downhill since all of management changed at one particular VA, within the past couple years.

I just got notified that I didn’t get the scholarship. My application was in committee for a long time and I think it’s because I am in a dual-degree program. Which for that reason and being only being a P2 is really strong reasons for me not getting it.

Oh well, I think this is still good news considering the uncertainty that comes with the contract. There’s always a bright side to everything!
Hopefully this thread is useful to future applicants!

I work for the VA as a CP and growth opportunities are far and few. I would recommend the private sector any day of the week if you are looking for opportunities.

By my correspondence via email, it was stated that if starting the online application lists your specialty when creating your account for submission, then it is open for students in that profession.

This online submission takes awhile to finish. I'd hate for someone to all of a sudden tell me they accidentally included pharmacy this year since I also had heard that last year would be it for awhile (in terms for pharmacy).

Hi all, I applied back in October and got accepted in December or January. I'm a 3rd year pharmacy student so they're only paying 1.5 years of school and my length of service will be 2 years (2.5 years if I do residency).