2021-2022 Allergy-Immunology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have a list of immunology focused programs particularly with a peds focus?
Duke and UWash are the first ones that come to mind. Tell whoever is interviewing you that you really love pediatric immunology. If you mean it and they believe you, they'll be all over it. Most fellows anecdotally don't really care for the nitty gritty peds immuno and, perhaps more objectively, it's very difficult to recruit clinical immunologists. They just don't get paid enough for the amount of work the job requires.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone hear from Cali programs other than the ones listed?

Adding Hopkins, still no word from any nyc programs

7/23 UPMC
7/26 Penn State
7/27 University of Cincinnati, Case Western, Arkansas
7/28 Cincinnati Children's Hospital, University of Nebraska Medical Center
7/29 Ohio state/Nationwide, Wisconsin, CHOP
8/2 UVA, Vanderbilt, NIH
8/3 Mayo, MN
8/3 Albany (IM)
8/4 Boston University.
8/6 Emory, Rush, University of Iowa.
8/9 Univ of Buffalo, Wash U
8/10 IU/Riley Children's, UWashington, Yale, Duke
8/13 Children's Hospital CO, BWH (screening phone call)
8/17 Hofstra/Northwell, MGH
8/18 UC Irvine, Scripps, Uni of Ten-Memphis
8/21 University of Kansas, VCU
8/23 University of Michigan
8/26 Baylor
8/30 JHU

Received an interview from UCSD 8/20, the secondary from UCSF, and just the screening phone call from Stanford so far!

Same, same and same. Thanks my friend. Honestly not expecting the formal interview from Stanford or UCSF since they're so peds heavy/academic and I'm from community IM program.

Invites or just receipt of application/secondary question?
Invites from all of them. A little disappointed that Scripps ghosted me, but that’s life. No word from UCLA at this point, either. Expecting that to be a ghosting as well lol

Invites from all of them. A little disappointed that Scripps ghosted me, but that’s life. No word from UCLA at this point, either. Expecting that to be a ghosting as well lol

Very strange that you didn't get called from Scripps after receiving IVs from other strong programs. Maybe they're rolling interviews.

Very strange that you didn't get called from Scripps after receiving IVs from other strong programs. Maybe they're rolling interviews.
Ah well, some people just don’t like these goods, I suppose. Similar thing happened with Northwestern (got an IV) and Rush (no IV). I’m hoping they’re rolling, as I’m hoping to go to California!

Yep, Super strange how the process works, exact same thing with me no Invite to Wisconsin but then invites to Wash U and Cincinnati Children's. What can you do?

Members don't see this ad :)
Starting to get slightly nervous at this point - only 2 interviews so far (2.5 if you count Stanford), and it seems to be getting late. Is it fair to say that by now pretty much all the first round interviews have been sent out and what’s left will be mostly second/third rounds?

Starting to get slightly nervous at this point - only 2 interviews so far (2.5 if you count Stanford), and it seems to be getting late. Is it fair to say that by now pretty much all the first round interviews have been sent out and what’s left will be mostly second/third rounds?

I think that's the case. Also depends on the program unfortunately. Are you restricted to a particular region?

I emailed the Kaiser Los Angeles PD asking for an interview and he said they had already filled up their slots and would put me on the wait list - def looks like they won't be sending out more interviews.

I think that's the case. Also depends on the program unfortunately. Are you restricted to a particular region?

I emailed the Kaiser Los Angeles PD asking for an interview and he said they had already filled up their slots and would put me on the wait list - def looks like they won't be sending out more interviews.
Not region restricted really — stuck to the coasts/Chicago etc but that was still like 40 programs, which I thought was enough. Lots of good allergy research, did an allergy rotation at a top program, etc. so I at least expected a few more.

You mentioned emailing the PD — is that something I should be (/ should have already) be doing? I just applied through the site and crossed my fingers

Not region restricted really — stuck to the coasts/Chicago etc but that was still like 40 programs, which I thought was enough. Lots of good allergy research, did an allergy rotation at a top program, etc. so I at least expected a few more.

You mentioned emailing the PD — is that something I should be (/ should have already) be doing? I just applied through the site and crossed my fingers

Yeah you sounds like a strong candidate. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get some calls shortly.

In regards to emailing PDs, I know some personally (those I rotated with mostly). Those that didn't call me for an interview, I emailed them hoping they remembered me and associated my name with a face. Sadly, it seems like I may have waited too long. I basically did what you did - applied through ERAS and crossed my fingers.

Yeah you sounds like a strong candidate. I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get some calls shortly.

In regards to emailing PDs, I know some personally (those I rotated with mostly). Those that didn't call me for an interview, I emailed them hoping they remembered me and associated my name with a face. Sadly, it seems like I may have waited too long. I basically did what you did - applied through ERAS and crossed my fingers.
Got it, I appreciate the context, thanks! Good luck to you as well. One caveat is I’m applying as a DO, not sure how much that may be hamstringing me

When I look at the board from last year it seems like a decent amount of interviews rolled out in September too!

Reactions: 1 user
I am hoping we see more interview invitations because there are a few places I’m hoping to hear back from that are not on the list we’ve made yet.

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard anything from Henry Ford,NJH, or USF?

I heard from Albert Einstein/Montefiore on 8/30. Anyone hear from any other NY programs?

When I look at the board from last year it seems like a decent amount of interviews rolled out in September too!
Keep in mind that the fellowship deadline was delayed a month last year due to COVID.

Hey guys. Seems to me that programs are likely rolling. I just got an interview offer from WashU, and they only offered one date. They did send out interviews a month ago based on our list. So I would rest a little easier if you haven't heard back. Just hope it's because they haven't looked at your application yet.

Reactions: 3 users
I got an email last week from LSU-Shreveport saying they are reviewing applications and that they would release invites this week. Has anybody heard anything from them?

Has anyone heard anything from Henry Ford,NJH, or USF?

No word from Henry Ford or NJH.
If by USF you mean University of South Florida (Morsani). Then yes, they sent out invites 2 weeks ago. Wasn't on the list so I added it.

7/23 UPMC
7/26 Penn State
8/2 UVA, Vanderbilt, NIH
8/3 Mayo, MN
8/3 Albany (IM)
8/4 Boston University.
8/6 Emory, Rush, University of Iowa.
8/9 Univ of Buffalo, Wash U
8/20 UC San Diego, University of South Florida (Morsani)
8/26 Baylor
8/30 JHU

I got an email last week from LSU-Shreveport saying they are reviewing applications and that they would release invites this week. Has anybody heard anything from them?
I received that email too, and haven’t heard anything. I wonder if the hurricane will delay things.

7/23 UPMC
7/26 Penn State
7/30 Arizona
8/2 UVA, Vanderbilt, NIH
8/3 Mayo, MN
8/3 Albany (IM)
8/4 Boston University, Irvine
8/5 Northwestern
8/6 Emory, Rush, University of Iowa, Colorado/NJH
8/9 Univ of Buffalo, Wash U, UTennessee
8/12 UCLA/VA
8/20 UC San Diego, University of South Florida (Morsani), Alabama
8/26 Baylor
8/30 JHU
8/31 Henry Ford
9/2 Cleveland Clinic

7/23 UPMC
7/26 Penn State
7/30 Arizona
8/2 UVA, Vanderbilt, NIH
8/3 Mayo, MN
8/3 Albany (IM)
8/5 Northwestern
8/12 UCLA/VA
8/26 Baylor
8/30 JHU
8/31 Henry Ford
9/2 Cleveland Clinic
9/7 LSU- Shreveport

Has anybody heard from Stanford (formal interview), UCLA, UC Davis, Columbia, or Mt. Sinai?

Also has anyone heard from University of Missouri-Kansas City, UNC or Wake Forest?

Last edited:
7/23 UPMC
7/26 Penn State
7/30 Arizona
8/2 UVA, Vanderbilt, NIH
8/3 Mayo, MN
8/3 Albany (IM)
8/5 Northwestern
8/12 UCLA/VA
8/26 Baylor
8/30 JHU
8/31 Henry Ford
9/2 Cleveland Clinic
9/10 Stanford

7/23 UPMC
7/26 Penn State
7/30 Arizona
8/2 UVA, Vanderbilt, NIH
8/3 Mayo, MN
8/3 Albany (IM)
8/5 Northwestern
8/12 UCLA/VA
8/26 Baylor
8/30 JHU
8/31 Henry Ford
9/2 Cleveland Clinic
9/10 Stanford, SLU.

7/23 UPMC
7/26 Penn State
7/30 Arizona
8/2 UVA, Vanderbilt, NIH
8/3 Mayo, MN
8/3 Albany (IM)
8/5 Northwestern
8/12 UCLA/VA
8/26 Baylor
8/30 JHU
8/31 Henry Ford
9/2 Cleveland Clinic
9/10 Stanford, SLU, Wake Forest

7/23 UPMC
7/26 Penn State
7/30 Arizona
8/2 UVA, Vanderbilt, NIH
8/3 Mayo, MN
8/3 Albany (IM)
8/5 Northwestern
8/12 UCLA/VA
8/26 Baylor
8/30 JHU
8/31 Henry Ford
9/2 Cleveland Clinic, UCLA

Last edited:
7/23 UPMC
7/26 Penn State
7/30 Arizona
8/2 UVA, Vanderbilt, NIH
8/3 Mayo, MN
8/3 Albany (IM)
8/5 Northwestern
8/12 UCLA/VA
8/26 Baylor
8/30 JHU
8/31 Henry Ford
9/17 Columbia

Adding some programs. Took a break from checking SDN so a little late to this.

7/23 UPMC
7/26 Penn State
7/28 Cincinnati Children's Hospital, University of Nebraska Medical Center, National Jewish (Adult)
7/29 Ohio state/Nationwide, Wisconsin, CHOP,
7/30 Arizona
8/2 UVA, Vanderbilt, NIH
8/3 Mayo, MN, Children's Mercy Hospital/UMKC
8/3 Albany (IM)
8/5 Northwestern, Tulane University
8/12 UCLA/VA, Washington University (Med&Peds)
8/20 UC San Diego, University of South Florida (Morsani), Alabama, UNC-Chapel Hill
8/24 National Jewish (Peds)
8/26 Baylor
8/30 JHU
8/31 Henry Ford
9/17 Columbia

Good luck everybody!

I’m kind of annoyed Stanford said they were going to formally reject me or offer an interview and not ghost me, but I’m being ghosted…

hoping for some more interview invites this week, especially from the NYC programs! Good luck everyone! Hope interviews are going well :)

Anybody heard from UC Davis? Also, thoughts on how many more interview invites we should be expecting from here on out?

Anybody heard from UC Davis? Also, thoughts on how many more interview invites we should be expecting from here on out?
I would guess the overwhelming majority of invites from now on will be rolling (IE if someone drops a date)

7/23 UPMC
7/26 Penn State
7/28 Cincinnati Children's Hospital, University of Nebraska Medical Center, National Jewish (Adult)
7/29 Ohio state/Nationwide, Wisconsin, CHOP,
7/30 Arizona
8/2 UVA, Vanderbilt, NIH
8/3 Mayo, MN, Children's Mercy Hospital/UMKC
8/3 Albany (IM)
8/5 Northwestern, Tulane University
8/12 UCLA/VA, Washington University (Med&Peds)
8/20 UC San Diego, University of South Florida (Morsani), Alabama, UNC-Chapel Hill
8/24 National Jewish (Peds)
8/26 Baylor
8/30 JHU
8/31 Henry Ford
9/17 Columbia
9/27 University of South Florida (Johns Hopkins All Children's)

I would guess the overwhelming majority of invites from now on will be rolling (IE if someone drops a date)
I wonder how many people drop interview dates at this point, especially since this is all virtual. I don't recall reading that on last year's thread. I think that is both an advantage and disadvantage of the virtual platform is that applicants don't have to prioritize, or drop interviews, because they don't have to physically take multiple days off work to travel to them, or spend the money on them. I wonder if programs are interviewing more applicants knowing that applicants are interviewing at more places, and will have longer rank lists.

I wonder how many people drop interview dates at this point, especially since this is all virtual. I don't recall reading that on last year's thread. I think that is both an advantage and disadvantage of the virtual platform is that applicants don't have to prioritize, or drop interviews, because they don't have to physically take multiple days off work to travel to them, or spend the money on them. I wonder if programs are interviewing more applicants knowing that applicants are interviewing at more places, and will have longer rank lists.
I think they probably have experience from last year. I think their rank list is just a couple more deep

I think they probably have experience from last year. I think their rank list is just a couple more deep

Last year only 2 programs went unfilled. 1 didn't fill both their spots and the other filled 1/2. It honestly won't make a difference. If I recall correctly, NRMP data says that the match rate was like 70%ish last year? But overall match rate was like 65% (which includes ALL applicants, i.e. also folks who didn't get a single interview). A quick gander at previous years would tell you it's a stark dive in match %. Virtual definitely benefits the programs more than the applicants. A/I is competitive, so the spots will fill regardless. I highly doubt programs are ranking more than 15 for each spot, but who knows. There was a good discussion on reddit about how Rheumatology and Allergy should be it's own residency and would be expontentially more competitive if it was only 1 year of pre-lim before Rheum or A/I (some would say close to derm levels of competitiveness). Interesting to think about and would def be the case if you ask me, but maybe not to the degree of derm because compensation-wise A/I still isn't on derm level whereas it is in terms of work hours and work-life balance.

Last edited: