2021-2022 Cincinnati

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @baz2020 for sharing this year's questions! Posted in different colors for MD and MD/PhD below:

2021-2022 Cincinnati Secondary Essay Prompts:

1) Please explain both of the following: 1) the specific reason(s) you have chosen to apply to the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine and 2) how you will utilize the unique features of our curriculum, institution, city, and/or our mission to achieve your career goals. (2000 Characters)
2) Please describe the reasons that you have chosen to specifically apply your skills to the career of a physician and what specific ways your personality, talents, attributes, etc. will contribute to the practice of clinical medicine. (2000 Characters)
3)The University of Cincinnati is highly committed to selecting and cultivating students who can transform the field of medicine through the use of their distinct talents and attributes. Please tell us how you offer “diversity of thought” to our incoming class. Please also consider sharing unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background that represent the diversity that you bring. (2000 Characters)

(Optional) Please explain, if applicable, any ways in which the COVID-19 pandemic specifically and negatively impacted and/or caused significant hardship for your academic performance between the months of March 2020 and September, 2021. (2000 Characters)

(Optional) We understand that all applicants have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Please use the space below to describe any personal (ie, non-academic) life-altering experiences or changes to your plans related to the pandemic between March 2020 and September 2021. (2000 Characters)

MD/PhD specifics
1. Special Considerations Please discuss any challenges, difficulties or setbacks in your journey to applying to medical school you'd like the Admissions Committee to consider when reviewing your application.
2. * Provide 3 - 5 keywords describing your major research area(s)
3. *Provide the names of up to 5 MSTP Faculty whose research interests you

4. * Research Projects:
Please summarize your past research experience(s). Discuss your role and contributions to the project(s). Explain how these experience(s) have prepared you for a career as a physician-scientist. (4000 Characters)

5. * Qualifications for MD/PHD:
Please discuss your motivation and goals for joining an MD/PhD program. Elaborate on future career plans and how the University of Cincinnati MSTP will help you achieve those goals. (2000 characters)

6. Research Interests:
Please discuss your research interests and how these align with the research opportunities provided at the University of Cincinnati/Cincinnati Children’s. Discuss potential MSTP faculty mentors whose research is of interest to you. (2000 Characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Secondary received, OOS MSTP

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@wysdoc

Posting the Prompts here for ease and not having to go to last years thread

1) Please explain both of the following: 1) the specific reason(s) you have chosen to apply to the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine and 2) how you will utilize the unique features of our curriculum, institution, city, and/or our mission to achieve your career goals. (2000 Characters)
2) Please describe the reasons that you have chosen to specifically apply your skills to the career of a physician and what specific ways your personality, talents, attributes, etc. will contribute to the practice of clinical medicine. (2000 Characters)
3)The University of Cincinnati is highly committed to selecting and cultivating students who can transform the field of medicine through the use of their distinct talents and attributes. Please tell us how you offer “diversity of thought” to our incoming class. Please also consider sharing unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background that represent the diversity that you bring. (2000 Characters)

(Optional) Please explain, if applicable, any ways in which the COVID-19 pandemic specifically and negatively impacted and/or caused significant hardship for your academic performance between the months of March 2020 and September, 2021. (2000 Characters)

(Optional) We understand that all applicants have been affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Please use the space below to describe any personal (ie, non-academic) life-altering experiences or changes to your plans related to the pandemic between March 2020 and September 2021. (2000 Characters)

MD/PhD specifics
Special Considerations Please discuss any challenges, difficulties or setbacks in your journey to applying to medical school you'd like the Admissions Committee to consider when reviewing your application.
* Provide 3 - 5 keywords describing your major research area(s)
*Provide the names of up to 5 MSTP Faculty whose research interests you

* Research Projects:
Please summarize your past research experience(s). Discuss your role and contributions to the project(s). Explain how these experience(s) have prepared you for a career as a physician-scientist. (4000 Characters)

* Qualifications for MD/PHD:
Please discuss your motivation and goals for joining an MD/PhD program. Elaborate on future career plans and how the University of Cincinnati MSTP will help you achieve those goals. (2000 characters)

Research Interests:
Please discuss your research interests and how these align with the research opportunities provided at the University of Cincinnati/Cincinnati Children’s. Discuss potential MSTP faculty mentors whose research is of interest to you. (2000 Characters)

Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone encounter a problem when creating their account?
yup - ever figure out why it's saying such? it sent an email with instructions to verify and waiting a few days, etc. if you got that also.

yup - ever figure out why it's saying such? it sent an email with instructions to verify and waiting a few days, etc. if you got that also.
Did you ever manage to get on? I tried and keep getting an error message saying I can't get the credentials...

Secondary received! IS, regular MD. Also, I haven't encountered any issues with an account, but I already had an account through their portal for other things I have applied for.

Yeah same thing happened to me. Was kinda worried with the error message since the portal also made it mandatory to provide your complete SSN

Hey everyone! I'm an incoming MS1 here and am super excited to start - feel free to PM me for questions :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone having issues with Page 7 of the application saying incomplete when there is no where to click/acknowledge?

OOS secondary received just now!

Did you ever manage to get on? I tried and keep getting an error message saying I can't get the credentials...
I did - the email they sent about resetting the PW and everything after failing login on the initial secondary email settled it. a bunch of password change reset stuff, etc.

OOS secondary received just now

Does anyone know the screening they do for secondaries? I know MSAR says they send secondaries to "Applicants who are AMCAS verified and who broadly meet holistic admissions criteria" but I am wondering if I am waiting on a new MCAT score, will they hold off on sending me my secondary?

Do people understand this to mean specifically grades? Also, is there anywhere to talk about research being canceled?

Do people understand this to mean specifically grades? Also, is there anywhere to talk about research being canceled?

I took the following question that asked if plans were canceled to include research, volunteering, and clinical experiences being canceled, since none of those get grades.

I took the following question that asked if plans were canceled to include research, volunteering, and clinical experiences being canceled, since none of those get grades.

So if I want to talk about my extracurriculars being affected I should go ahead and fill out the non-academic one instead? Thanks

Got verified last night and got a secondary this morning (OOS) so I wonder if they are still doing their pre-screening process this year

Yeah same thing happened to me. Was kinda worried with the error message since the portal also made it mandatory to provide your complete SSN
Is it normal for a secondary portal to require a SSN?

MSTP OOS applicant here. To me the "research experience" question looks almost identical to the MD/PhD primary question. And same with the "motivation question". I dont know how I would write this without really sounding like a broken record, unless that's literally what they want? Case's MSTP does request a literal "copy and paste"....

Does anyone have a parent whose phone number is international?
The app portal says to put your own phone number if your parent has an international phone number but I get the following error message when I try to save
Do not use your own cell phone for your parent/guardian cell phone

MSTP OOS applicant here. To me the "research experience" question looks almost identical to the MD/PhD primary question. And same with the "motivation question". I dont know how I would write this without really sounding like a broken record, unless that's literally what they want? Case's MSTP does request a literal "copy and paste"....
Struggling with this as well. Not sure what they want. With the primary they get so much information about us I don’t have any more angles to talk about my research

Is anyone experiencing issues that the website is not secure? Having a hard time entering and saving essays because of it.

Is anyone experiencing issues that the website is not secure? Having a hard time entering and saving essays because of it.
Yea it was literal hell trying to navigate when that kept happening. I just typed all my essays into a word document and pasted them at the end. Glad it's finally submitted and I don't have to navigate that hellscape again.

For those who are applying md/phd, how are you answering "Please explain both of the following: 1) the specific reason(s) you have chosen to apply to the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine and 2) how you will utilize the unique features of our curriculum, institution, city, and/or our mission to achieve your career goals. (2000 Characters)" and the MSTP specific "Please discuss your motivation and goals for joining an MD/PhD program. Elaborate on future career plans and how the University of Cincinnati MSTP will help you achieve those goals."

Im struggling to write these without overlapping my answers

For those who are applying md/phd, how are you answering "Please explain both of the following: 1) the specific reason(s) you have chosen to apply to the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine and 2) how you will utilize the unique features of our curriculum, institution, city, and/or our mission to achieve your career goals. (2000 Characters)" and the MSTP specific "Please discuss your motivation and goals for joining an MD/PhD program. Elaborate on future career plans and how the University of Cincinnati MSTP will help you achieve those goals."

Im struggling to write these without overlapping my answers
I made the first one more about the medical school, location, patient population, etc. and the second one more about the MD/PhD program, research facilities, and why MD/PhD versus MD or PhD only

I’m really struggling with the “Diversity of Thought” essay. Does anyone have any advice?

I’m really struggling with the “Diversity of Thought” essay. Does anyone have any advice?
Maybe try to think of how your personal experiences imbue the manner in which you problem solve, learn, work, etc. How do you stand out, not just as a qualified applicant, but as a member of a cohort/team that needs a diverse array of perspectives in order to innovate and succeed?

I had a reckless driving charge that was reduced to double parking. Would it actually show up for the original reason on my background check or would it just show the double parking?
Not sure about specifics, but you can pull your driving record on your license or motor vehicle records that should include the charges actually listed when someone does a check from your state MVD/DMV for like 5 bucks. I would just google something like driver record + your state and see if they have an online tool

I had a reckless driving charge that was reduced to double parking. Would it actually show up for the original reason on my background check or would it just show the double parking?

Best way to find out is to a background check on yourself. FWIW my speeding ticket did not show up on either Certiphi or Cincy's background check (no driving records are included in those checks as far as I can tell - though perhaps they check those in a way not visible to the applicant)

Wouldn't really worry about it either way.

Not sure about specifics, but you can pull your driving record on your license or motor vehicle records that should include the charges actually listed when someone does a check from your state MVD/DMV for like 5 bucks. I would just google something like driver record + your state and see if they have an online tool

It's the BMV in Ohio ;)