2021-2022 North Dakota

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator when the secondary prompt is posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

(wow this is my first post ever) Secondary received. Looking for some advice from anyone who can provide it!

This is the very first prompt

"The School of Medicine & Health Sciences is a community-based medical school, and because of the unique circumstances of our regional location, we place special emphasis on the unique skills needed to provide care for patients and populations in rural and Native American communities across all competencies. The primary purpose of the UND School of Medicine & Health Sciences is to educate physicians and other health professionals for subsequent service in North Dakota and to enhance the quality of life of its people. Other purposes include the discovery of knowledge that benefits the people of this state and enhances the quality of their lives." Please explain the steps you have taken towards, and how you will fulfill different aspects the school’s mission."

I pre-wrote last years secondary questions and of course they changed it up a little :)

I have some ties to ND (however I am currently a MN resident). I have concerns about the "special emphasis" on Native American communities (I have zero experience here). Do I still send a secondary? Thanks

Received the UND secondary as well.

A majority of the secondary questions just ask you about your permanent residence status and if you are a Native American. The essay-based ones are as follows:

1) "The School of Medicine & Health Sciences is a community-based medical school, and because of the unique circumstances of our regional location, we place special emphasis on the unique skills needed to provide care for patients and populations in rural and Native American communities across all competencies. The primary purpose of the UND School of Medicine & Health Sciences is to educate physicians and other health professionals for subsequent service in North Dakota and to enhance the quality of life of its people. Other purposes include the discovery of knowledge that benefits the people of this state and enhances the quality of their lives." Please explain the steps you have taken towards, and how you will fulfill different aspects the school’s mission.

2) Reflect on personal experiences of resilience and emotional intelligence throughout your life and how this has prepared you in your pursuit of a career in medicine.

3) Describe your experiences with diverse populations. Examples include a summary of a volunteer experience, study abroad, employment, self-taught endeavor or a formal course on diversity that includes direct interaction with individuals or groups from socio-economic disadvantaged, diverse cultures, rural, or other backgrounds.

4) Describe your research activity. Examples include the outcome of a formal research experience, course-dependent undergraduate research, thesis, or capstone project.

5) Describe your creative activity. Examples include the outcome of a creative activity, capstone project, senior recital, performance, debate, product creation or any other major production or installation.

6) Expand and reflect on medical and/or clinical experience as it relates to the mission of the School of Medicine & Health Sciences. This may include a summary of physician shadowing, clinical observation, community service, volunteer work, and/or employment. Examples include, but are not limited to, work in a clinic, hospital, as a first responder, clinical lab, public health, home health visits, assisted living, nursing home care, youth camps, or relevant military duty.

7) Expand and reflect on leadership and team experience. This may include a summary of leadership roles or teamwork in employed positions, extracurricular activities, organizations, volunteer services, or any other leadership or team experiences.

8) What are your career plans if you do not ever get admitted to medical school?

9) UND SMHS REAPPLICANTS ONLY: When was your previous application, and, subsequently, what steps have you taken to strengthen your candidacy? Note any relevant academic, employment, clinical, and personal experience.

On the question of if you should even bother, as long as you meet the requirements for residency eligibility (and being a MN resident qualifies you), then I would go for it as long as you would actually attend if you were accepted and you have at least some kind of interest in the school's overall mission.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

A majority of the secondary questions just ask you about your permanent residence status and if you are a Native American. The essay-based ones are as follows:

1) "The School of Medicine & Health Sciences is a community-based medical school, and because of the unique circumstances of our regional location, we place special emphasis on the unique skills needed to provide care for patients and populations in rural and Native American communities across all competencies. The primary purpose of the UND School of Medicine & Health Sciences is to educate physicians and other health professionals for subsequent service in North Dakota and to enhance the quality of life of its people. Other purposes include the discovery of knowledge that benefits the people of this state and enhances the quality of their lives." Please explain the steps you have taken towards, and how you will fulfill different aspects the school’s mission.

2) Reflect on personal experiences of resilience and emotional intelligence throughout your life and how this has prepared you in your pursuit of a career in medicine.

3) Describe your experiences with diverse populations. Examples include a summary of a volunteer experience, study abroad, employment, self-taught endeavor or a formal course on diversity that includes direct interaction with individuals or groups from socio-economic disadvantaged, diverse cultures, rural, or other backgrounds.

4) Describe your research activity. Examples include the outcome of a formal research experience, course-dependent undergraduate research, thesis, or capstone project.

5) Describe your creative activity. Examples include the outcome of a creative activity, capstone project, senior recital, performance, debate, product creation or any other major production or installation.

6) Expand and reflect on medical and/or clinical experience as it relates to the mission of the School of Medicine & Health Sciences. This may include a summary of physician shadowing, clinical observation, community service, volunteer work, and/or employment. Examples include, but are not limited to, work in a clinic, hospital, as a first responder, clinical lab, public health, home health visits, assisted living, nursing home care, youth camps, or relevant military duty.

7) Expand and reflect on leadership and team experience. This may include a summary of leadership roles or teamwork in employed positions, extracurricular activities, organizations, volunteer services, or any other leadership or team experiences.

8) What are your career plans if you do not ever get admitted to medical school?

9) UND SMHS REAPPLICANTS ONLY: When was your previous application, and, subsequently, what steps have you taken to strengthen your candidacy? Note any relevant academic, employment, clinical, and personal experience.

On the question of if you should even bother, as long as you meet the requirements for residency eligibility (and being a MN resident qualifies you), then I would go for it as long as you would actually attend if you were accepted and you have at least some kind of interest in the school's overall mission.
Nice to see ya here Stratos. I'm applying North Dakota too even though i'm a Minnesota resident. :)

All of the essay prompts are listed as optional, I’m assuming we should still answer each one? 😅 TIA

All of the essay prompts are listed as optional, I’m assuming we should still answer each one? 😅 TIA
If you don't answer, then you make it less competitive for the rest of us :D ...but yes I highly recommend you to answer them lol

Rejected post-secondary, In state resident, MCAT 505

• Care
Rejected post-secondary, In state resident, MCAT 505
Wow i'm sorry. I'm surprised they're rejecting in state people this quick. Do you mind sharing when you submitted? Also did you express the desire to serve in rural areas and in primary care?

Wow i'm sorry. I'm surprised they're rejecting in state people this quick. Do you mind sharing when you submitted? Also did you express the desire to serve in rural areas and in primary care?
Submitted 7/5, I felt I had... I am really shook about this R.

Members don't see this ad :)
Submitted 7/5, I felt I had... I am really shook about this R.
Honestly that's pretty crazy. Interview rate in North Dakota is extremely high if you're in state. Is there an option to ask for feedback?

Hi, everyone, I am an Iowa resident and my husband is from Wyoming, and we are looking for a couple schools nearby to apply to in case my state school doesn't work out (My stats are decent, but I am very neurotic I guess). I have no ties to ND, no experience in American Indian or rural health, but I do plan to practice in rural area in Wyoming so that we can take care of my husband's family, should I even give it a shot? Or it will be just a waste of money.....

Hi, everyone, I am an Iowa resident and my husband is from Wyoming, and we are looking for a couple schools nearby to apply to in case my state school doesn't work out (My stats are decent, but I am very neurotic I guess). I have no ties to ND, no experience in American Indian or rural health, but I do plan to practice in rural area in Wyoming so that we can take care of my husband's family, should I even give it a shot? Or it will be just a waste of money.....
UND has specific residency guidelines. If you meet them, give it a shot. If not, then don't waste the money, since they say that they haven't had any recent matriculants that don't meet those guidelines.

Just off the top of my head, I don't think you actually meet the guidelines since you aren't a Wyoming/Idaho/ND/MN resident, but you should carefully read them just in case.

I know you sent this awhile ago, but could you tell me what the character limits for these essays are? UND is one of my top choices, and I would like to pre-write them.

I know you sent this awhile ago, but could you tell me what the character limits for these essays are? UND is one of my top choices, and I would like to pre-write them.
Looked back through mine and:

1-3 are 1200 characters
4-5 are 600 characters
6-7 are 1200 characters
8 is 600 characters
9 is 1200 characters

There is also an essay asking for updates to your primary AMCAS. This is optional and 600 characters.

Hope this helps!

Hello everyone - I'm a current 2nd year medical student at UND and would be willing to answer questions you may have relating to curriculum, student life, and whatever else. Good luck to you all!

Hello everyone - I'm a current 2nd year medical student at UND and would be willing to answer questions you may have relating to curriculum, student life, and whatever else. Good luck to you all!
-Is the curriculum graded or did UND switch to pass/fail like some other schools?
-Are y'all back to in-person or no?
-What is the housing situation like for medical students? Is it affordable or do renters like to jack the prices up on students like in some other cities?
-Is there anything notable about the curriculum format for M1/2 or is it mostly standard lecture-based learning?
-Is the culture of the school biased towards a certain aspect of medicine (e.g. primary care, research, etc.) or does it feel like a pretty all-comers institution?
-What are rotations like in M3/4? What hospital system does the school use? From what you've heard, are there any concerns about the amount of exposure M3/4's get to various specialties, or is there sufficient volume for students to get good experiences there (both in absolute volume and in relative volume, e.g. do they have to compete with nursing/PA/NP students for space)?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

-Is the curriculum graded or did UND switch to pass/fail like some other schools?
-Are y'all back to in-person or no?
-What is the housing situation like for medical students? Is it affordable or do renters like to jack the prices up on students like in some other cities?
-Is there anything notable about the curriculum format for M1/2 or is it mostly standard lecture-based learning?
-Is the culture of the school biased towards a certain aspect of medicine (e.g. primary care, research, etc.) or does it feel like a pretty all-comers institution?
-What are rotations like in M3/4? What hospital system does the school use? From what you've heard, are there any concerns about the amount of exposure M3/4's get to various specialties, or is there sufficient volume for students to get good experiences there (both in absolute volume and in relative volume, e.g. do they have to compete with nursing/PA/NP students for space)?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Hey! Thanks for the questions -

- The curriculum is pass/fail. For non-clinical/class material anything less than 74.5% is considered failing and honors can be achieved second year with a score of 90% or above. For clinical/hand-on skills exams anything less 80% is considered failing.

- We currently have a mixed delivery for classes. Some lecturers come to the school and lecture in a classroom and when the lecturer is in person students have the option to go and attend the lecture at the school or they are free to join the class remotely via zoom. We are slowly making our way back to in person classes however the school is still trying to give students the option they are most comfortable with.

- I think the housing situation in GF is great. I think you can find a place to stay within your budget for sure and I have not heard anything about renters increasing prices for students. Obviously the nicer apartments will be more expensive but if you're alright with a "decent" apartment that is a little older, you can get a lot of space for a surprising rate. For example, I have a 3 bed 2 bath apartment with rent that is $1100 a month, but my apartment isn't brand new. On the other hand, I know the newer apartments in town are charging a similar amount for a 1 bed 1 bath apartment. Also, if you're someone who would like to live very close to the school, there is an apartment building right across from the medical school open to students with reasonable prices (Hamline apartments; Hamline Square Apartments | Housing).

- Classes are formatted in 8 week blocks. Each block tends to focus on two systems (one system/4 weeks) so for example, one block would be 4 weeks of endocrine anatomy and physiology followed by 4 weeks of male and female reproductive anatomy and physiology. I would say its a typical lecture-based learning.

- The school's mission revolves around serving ND and what ND needs most is "first-line" primary care physicians. However, I wouldn't say they are biased towards those who are pursuing primary care, I know many classmates who never expressed interest in primary care in their interview and an additional group of classmates who were never even asked about what branch of medicine they would like to pursue. That being said, if you don't intend to stay in ND to practice that might put a dent in your application (but it's not a deal breaker). I think the schools inclination towards those who want to stay in ND stems from their mission.

- As for M3/M4 rotations: M3 is your first clinical year and most of your rotations are assigned to you in order to ensure you get the clinical experiences you need to graduate. M4 is when you really get to explore your personal interests more and you get the opportunity to choose which areas of medicine you'd like to rotate in and explore further. Personally, I have not heard of concerns regarding experience in certain specialties. If for some reason ND didn't have an opportunity for you to rotate within a certain specialty, there is always the option of "away rotations" where you can travel out of state to do a rotation. Students average 1-2 away rotations from what I've heard. I have also not heard concerns about volume. I think most students agree that at any clinical location they are able to get plenty of hands on experiences. We do not have to compete with NP/PA students for space - there is always designated medical student spots at each site! Finally, students rotate throughout the state, but the main hospital systems are Altru and Sanford Health - both great systems. For more specific information on the rotations - Phase 2 .

Alrighty let me know if you have any follow up questions! Always happy to help!

Reactions: 1 users
Received interview invite on the 14th! Any suggestions or tips from current students?

Received interview invite on the 14th! Any suggestions or tips from current students?
Me again, congratulations on your interview! Know your application and be prepared to be asked to reflect on your experiences or to talk about any deficits you may have (like little clinical or research experience, low grades). The interview is conversational and approx. 45 min. You're going to do great! Good luck!

Has anyone that is interviewing this weekend received an email with details about the interview? Their last email stated that they would be in contact the week prior but I haven't received anything yet.

Has anyone that is interviewing this weekend received an email with details about the interview? Their last email stated that they would be in contact the week prior but I haven't received anything yet.
This is probably too late, but I interviewed last weekend and they sent me an email with all the Zoom links I needed about a week before the interview.

Anyone hear back that submitted Early/Mid August OOS?

JUST GOT THE NEWS! I AM GOING TO BE A DOCTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UND just sent out an acceptance email like 15 minutes ago.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Acceptance letter received tonight. OOS and went to undergrad at UND
CONGRATS!! If I may ask, when did you interview? I interviewed the November 5th weekend. Based on rolling admission, I wondered if anyone who interviewed on the November 5th/6th weekend received A's yet? Thanks!

CONGRATS!! If I may ask, when did you interview? I interviewed the November 5th weekend. Based on rolling admission, I wondered if anyone who interviewed on the November 5th/6th weekend received A's yet? Thanks!
Interviewed November 5th. They should be sending A's out through the end of January

Has anyone that received an A heard anything else or gotten another email with further instructions?

Got an acceptance on the 13th as well! havent received anything else yet, sounds like it may be several weeks.

Acceptance letter received this morning. IS resident and completed undergrad IS.

Waitlist, LizzyM 77 OOS. Anyone know what the waitlist movement has been like in the prior years?

Acceptance letter by email yesterday! OOS (MN resident), interviewed 1/15

Does anyone know when they'll send out more info on the next steps after acceptance?

If anyone is looking for a place to live, I have a house in town and am looking to get between 1 and 3 roommates. Shoot me a DM if you are interested! :)

Any ideas when waitlist movement may begin?

I just got accepted off of the waitlist today! I'm OOS (Idaho) and started at #12 on the waitlist