2022-2023 University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wysdoc

Plain-spoken Texan
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you to @gasstationsushi for sharing this year's questions!

2022-2023 University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill Secondary Essay Prompts (similar to last year but lower word count)
** They ask you to return the secondary within 2 weeks!**

1: Tell us about a peer who is deserving of recognition but whose accomplishments may not be acknowledged adequately. Why do you think their accomplishments have gone relatively unacknowledged? (250 words)

2: Please share your thoughts and experiences with navigating the COVID-19 pandemic. This could include the barriers you have faced in applying to medical school, creative ways you have overcome those barriers, feelings of grief and loss, thoughts on the role of health care professionals, challenges associated with racial health inequities, or other reflections on living through a global pandemic crisis. (250 words)

3: How will your values and attitudes foster a positive educational environment and benefit your future patients? Tell us about the sources of those values and attitudes (e.g. family, places you’ve lived in, things you have read, life experiences, etc). (250 words)

4: Tell us about a time when you observed or personally experienced biased behavior. What did you do to address this situation or what would you do in the future? Through either situation we are interested in what you learned. (250 words)

5: What motivates you to apply to the UNC School of Medicine? (200 words)

6. Reapplicant Prompt: What has changed about you as a candidate since your last application to medical school? What has made you a stronger applicant? (200 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Current MS4! Feel free to ask questions if you have them :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! Thank you for taking the time to answer questions. How would you describe the learning environment at UNC? For example, is it more group oriented or independent learning, more lecture or more hands-on, or collaborative/competitive?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Thank you for taking the time to answer questions. How would you describe the learning environment at UNC? For example, is it more group oriented or independent learning, more lecture or more hands-on, or collaborative/competitive?
Of all the words you just threw out, the one I would choose first is collaborative. My classmates are all incredibly kind and supportive people who are always willing to help each other. The pre-clinical years are pass/fail and I think that does a lot to minimize competitiveness, because we can all pass, so there's really no need to tear each other down in order to succeed. In that first year and a half, there is a lot of lecture (as is pretty typical of pre-clinical years at any medical school), but we also have a lot of small group and interactive work. Every week we have a class called patient-centered care where we learn all the skills we need to be clinicians- taking histories, doing physicals, making differentials, ordering tests, which is good preparation for hands-on clinical activities. And each of the first 3 semesters we have a week of clinical time- two in an outpatient clinic and one in the hospital.
Obviously all that changes in clinical years. Most of your time is hands on in clinical settings with little didactic time, so studying has to be more individually driven. That being said, if I'm struggling with something, I've always felt like I can ask my classmates for help and they would be there for me. Plus you're included as part of the medical team you're on during every rotation, so it still feels very collaborative.
If you want more information, just let me know!

Reactions: 2 users
Hey there! Thank you for your willingness to answer questions! I'm wondering if you know many students are interested in the field of surgery and/or how do you feel their program is for aspiring surgeons?

Hey there! Thank you for your willingness to answer questions! I'm wondering if you know many students are interested in the field of surgery and/or how do you feel their program is for aspiring surgeons?
Last year, 18 students matched into general surgery, another 18 to surgical subspecialties, and 15 to OB-Gyn (so ~25% of the class). UNC has excellent surgery faculty and a top notch residency, so the surgical training for medical students is pretty good as well. We see a good mix of bread & butter surgeries as well as more exciting cases (transplants, traumas, etc) you really only see at major academic hospitals like UNC. In our year of clinicals, we spend 8 weeks on surgery, which felt like plenty of time. And fourth year rotations start in march and there were plenty of surgical options to get in before match applications start. Overall, the program gets positive reviews, so would recommend :)

me waiting for this secondary
Mr Bean Waiting GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Last year, 18 students matched into general surgery, another 18 to surgical subspecialties, and 15 to OB-Gyn (so ~25% of the class). UNC has excellent surgery faculty and a top notch residency, so the surgical training for medical students is pretty good as well. We see a good mix of bread & butter surgeries as well as more exciting cases (transplants, traumas, etc) you really only see at major academic hospitals like UNC. In our year of clinicals, we spend 8 weeks on surgery, which felt like plenty of time. And fourth year rotations start in march and there were plenty of surgical options to get in before match applications start. Overall, the program gets positive reviews, so would recommend :)
Thank you! I appreciate you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
She just came!! Check your spam, that’s where I found mine

IS secondary invite received!

Prompt 1: Tell us about a peer who is deserving of recognition but whose accomplishments may not be acknowledged adequately. Why do you think their accomplishments have gone relatively unacknowledged? (250 words)

Prompt 2: Please share your thoughts and experiences with navigating the COVID-19 pandemic. This could include the barriers you have faced in applying to medical school, creative ways you have overcome those barriers, feelings of grief and loss, thoughts on the role of health care professionals, challenges associated with racial health inequities, or other reflections on living through a global pandemic crisis. (250 words)

Prompt 3: How will your values and attitudes foster a positive educational environment and benefit your future patients? Tell us about the sources of those values and attitudes (e.g. family, places you’ve lived in, things you have read, life experiences, etc). (250 words)

Prompt 4: Tell us about a time when you observed or personally experienced biased behavior. What did you do to address this situation or what would you do in the future? Through either situation we are interested in what you learned. (250 words)

Prompt 5: What motivates you to apply to the UNC School of Medicine? (200 words)

Reapplicant Prompt: What has changed about you as a candidate since your last application to medical school? What has made you a stronger applicant? (200 words)

IS secondary invite received!

Prompt 1: Tell us about a peer who is deserving of recognition but whose accomplishments may not be acknowledged adequately. Why do you think their accomplishments have gone relatively unacknowledged? (250 words)

Prompt 2: Please share your thoughts and experiences with navigating the COVID-19 pandemic. This could include the barriers you have faced in applying to medical school, creative ways you have overcome those barriers, feelings of grief and loss, thoughts on the role of health care professionals, challenges associated with racial health inequities, or other reflections on living through a global pandemic crisis. (250 words)

Prompt 3: How will your values and attitudes foster a positive educational environment and benefit your future patients? Tell us about the sources of those values and attitudes (e.g. family, places you’ve lived in, things you have read, life experiences, etc). (250 words)

Prompt 4: Tell us about a time when you observed or personally experienced biased behavior. What did you do to address this situation or what would you do in the future? Through either situation we are interested in what you learned. (250 words)

Prompt 5: What motivates you to apply to the UNC School of Medicine? (200 words)

Reapplicant Prompt: What has changed about you as a candidate since your last application to medical school? What has made you a stronger applicant? (200 words)
+1 (OOS)

I was trying to review my app before submitting (I pre-wrote my essays so it was quick to fill out!) but anytime I go to the review page, it says that the initials in the Technical Standards portion aren't filled in (even though they are). I've tried on both Safari and Chrome and it gives me the same error... Does anybody else have this when trying to submit?

I was trying to review my app before submitting (I pre-wrote my essays so it was quick to fill out!) but anytime I go to the review page, it says that the initials in the Technical Standards portion aren't filled in (even though they are). I've tried on both Safari and Chrome and it gives me the same error... Does anybody else have this when trying to submit?
yeah same im getting this...

Just got an email from UNC stating that the secondaries are due two weeks after receiving the supplementary app, not one week.

Reactions: 3 users
Just got an email from UNC stating that the secondaries are due two weeks after receiving the supplementary app, not one week.
For a moment, I thought, "Wow, UNC runs a tight ship!!!" with just one-week turnaround. Probably gave everyone a heart attack...

• Haha
Have any reapplicants gotten a secondary invite? I received mine on July 9th last year, so it seems a little strange that I haven't gotten one yet this time around. Thanks in advance!

Have any reapplicants gotten a secondary invite? I received mine on July 9th last year, so it seems a little strange that I haven't gotten one yet this time around. Thanks in advance!
Hey! Reapplicant rejected post-interview here two cycles ago and I received a secondary invite on 7/12. My AMCAS was verified on 6/23.

Last edited:
Just shooting the breeze here but last year's prompts are identical to this year with the exception of the word limit decreasing from 400 to 250. Not complaining but what's everyone's take on the committee's decision? Also, y'all find it easier or harder with fewer words?

Submitted my secondary a few days ago, but still haven't recieved any type of confirmation email (not even payment confirmation). Is this every one else's experience as well?

Thought I'd give y'all the inside scoop. Interviews are scheduled to start 9/17 and run through 2/23 with 1-2 interview dates per week. And all interviews will be virtual.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Thought I'd give y'all the inside scoop. Interviews are scheduled to start 9/17 and run through 2/23 with 1-2 interview dates per week. And all interviews will be virtual.
when should invites come out?

Did anyone receive an "application complete" email after submission? Submitted last night and still waiting for confirmation.

Did anyone receive an "application complete" email after submission? Submitted last night and still waiting for confirmation.
In the email with the secondary link and instructions, they said they don't send an application complete email

I submitted 7/13 and still haven't received an email, neither for the payment confirmation nor that they received my application. All that it says on the portal is that my application was submitted nothing else.

Was anyone else unable to select that they’re a reapplicant? It’s grayed out for me for some reason.

Was anyone else unable to select that they’re a reapplicant? It’s grayed out for me for some reason.
Applied two cycles ago and reapplicant was automatically selected for me, I don't think I even had the option to choose otherwise.

anyone who submitted has a portal saying waiting for NC residency verification?

anyone who submitted has a portal saying waiting for NC residency verification?
yeah u have to do the RDS again once I did it and resubmitted verification it went to green check