2021 Medicare E&M rules

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
As many of you are aware, Medicare has shifted to reimbursing E&M codes based on the complexity of medical decision-making (MDM). An option is still given for "time spent" but it is much more challenging to document so most practices are transitioning to MDM.

Have any of you seen Radiation Oncology specific MDM templates from ASTRO or any other RO professional society?

Members don't see this ad.

I.... will still be doing time-based coding. I actually think it's easier to hit time requirements (unless you work with a resident, I suppose). I've been doing time based coding since month 2 of being an attending.

Reactions: 1 user
Such a crazy way to determine how much work we put into an encounter. If I spend 90 minutes comparing a fantasy football line up, why is that more valuable then 15 intense minutes going over a treatment plan.

With that said, I will still be documenting the time spent and fudging whatever time meets my documentation criteria the bean counters want me to use!

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is that time based billing is a red flag, if done routinely. Once you get busy seeing multiple consults, follow-ups and doing procedures...time based audits won’t hold up if you’re billing level 5’s for your consults. No way you could see 5-6 consults and 10+ follow-ups with sims and HDR sprinkled in during a 7 hour clinic day if documenting 60 minutes per consult and 15 minutes for follow-ups. Better to bill based on MDM IMO.

Reactions: 2 users
My understanding is that time based billing is a red flag, if done routinely. Once you get busy seeing multiple consults, follow-ups and doing procedures...time based audits won’t hold up if you’re billing level 5’s for your consults. No way you could see 5-6 consults and 10+ follow-ups with sims and HDR sprinkled in during a 7 hour clinic day if documenting 60 minutes per consult and 15 minutes for follow-ups. Better to bill based on MDM IMO.
Holy s**t I thought I was busy until I read this. That‘a one intense (and efficient) clinic you have there and/or a very competent cohort of residents.

Reactions: 1 users
Holy s**t I thought I was busy until I read this. That‘a one intense (and efficient) clinic you have there and/or a very competent cohort of residents.
Hahaha. Efficient nurses and NP, but that was an example of an above average busy day, not an average day.

Bingo. Like the old joke about the dead lawyer who told St Peter he was to young to die at 56 and Peter told him, well according to your professional logs you are 89.

This change is actually a good one overall. Our hospital gave us some oncology specific instructions but I don’t know if they are public or not. I’ll look tomorrow and share if I can.

The biggest changes are that you don’t have to document as much fluff and if you do a reasonable job documenting decision making, interpreting studies (not just pasting interpretations) and communications with other providers you can probably have an easier time billing level 4 for follow ups with less note bloat. If anything, it theoretically makes it easier to bill level 5s but I suspect if you magically started billing level 5 for everything that would draw unwanted attention.

I never messed around with time based billing. Technically this is generally also more relaxed as well but I didn’t pay close attention to this section.

I’m a pessimist by nature and never believe anybody wants to make life easier for doctors.

I’m a pessimist by nature and never believe anybody wants to make life easier for doctors.
We are committed to lessening documentation burdens on doctors.
(Plot twist: you get paid less.)

Reactions: 4 users
I heard private insurers are expecting more level 4 and 5 with the new documentation and are planning to decrease the payments for these codes accordingly.

Also I time based bill often. Not unusual for me to be in clinic from 8 AM to 7 PM. With these new rules they'll pay me to review charts and such same day. Heck maybe time to be in the office 16 hours on clinic days (wouldn't be the first time...). Come at me bro.

• Haha

While this is a consideration, I never have a day where I have more than 3-4 consults. My centers are just not that busy. If I felt that I was actually at risk of going over the 24 hours in a day rule, then this could be a consideration.

Especially in 2021, the time you spend on the patient AFTER The encounter counts as well (as long as it's on the same day)

Here's the shocker - I actually spend at least 30-40 minutes in a room with (almost) every consult. While it's a luxury that I am not as busy as some, I definitely spend a lot more time with each patient than my busier colleagues at other centers.

Reactions: 3 users
While this is a consideration, I never have a day where I have more than 3-4 consults. My centers are just not that busy. If I felt that I was actually at risk of going over the 24 hours in a day rule, then this could be a consideration.

Especially in 2021, the time you spend on the patient AFTER The encounter counts as well (as long as it's on the same day)

Here's the shocker - I actually spend at least 30-40 minutes in a room with (almost) every consult. While it's a luxury that I am not as busy as some, I definitely spend a lot more time with each patient than my busier colleagues at other centers.
Not sure how i could spend that much time with a skin ca consult honestly

I appreciate wanting to spend a long time with every consult early on in one's career. Eventually the time-constraint vicissitudes of life (and principles of triage) mean not "(almost) every consult" gets granted a 30-40 minute visit. In theory, ~1/3 (or more) of all new consults in rad onc are palliative. In certain ("rapid") palliative care models, the patient doesn't even see the RO (or only just briefly.) I'm leaving this wide open for you @RadOncDoc21

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate wanting to spend a long time with every consult early on in one's career. Eventually the time-constraint vicissitudes of life (and principles of triage) mean not "(almost) every consult" gets granted a 30-40 minute visit. In theory, ~1/3 (or more) of all new consults in rad onc are palliative. In certain ("rapid") palliative care models, the patient doesn't even see the RO (or only just briefly.) I'm leaving this wide open for you @RadOncDoc21
Oh wow, this is perfect, you know this is the type of life that very specialized palliative fellowship trained rad onc was made for! I might just make this my new bread and butter practice model since I can’t get any more definitive cases these days.

• Okay...
The only certainties in life: Death, taxes, and a comment about palliative fellowship

• Haha

How do you spend 40 minutes on a post op early stage breast or bone met or brain met or preop rectal or early stage lung or definitive lung or ... frankly pretty much everything except prostate cancer? Interesting how doctors have such different approaches.

How do you spend 40 minutes on a post op early stage breast or bone met or brain met or preop rectal or early stage lung or definitive lung or ... frankly pretty much everything except prostate cancer? Interesting how doctors have such different approaches.
Highly, highly patient-dependent.

Agree, however I truly believe I can get in everything I want in less than 25 minutes for pretty much anything. Again, if the admins want me to just sit in the room and talk about sports, I’ll do that as well.

Well, I don't have a resident, and I've seen errors in other docs H&Ps, so I always, 100% of the time, confirm the important pieces of a history first. Now, in part because I am not that busy, if a patient wants to tell the story themselves, I usually let them (which is different than during a busy clinic day in residency). I'd say at minimum that's 5-15 minutes of the interaction, dependent on the patient.

Post-op early stage breast is one of the longer consults. Anything where there is an option and not a single right answer, is easily 35-40 mins face to face, IMO. Bone met, sure could be faster. Brain met, gotta discuss WBRT vs SRS +/- surgery. pre-op rectal has a huge difference in two very good tx options - and gotta discuss sequencing of chemotherapy. Early stage lung - discuss why they aren't a surgical candidate, talk about historical RT. Definitive lung - why don't patients require surgery?

Getting back to post-op early stage breast, just so folks can see my thought process here:
In history - was it a screening mammo or did patient feel a mass? When was previous mammo that was negative? Confirm the location as patient understands if unclear from clinic-obtained records/imaging. Where does patient live? How far is that from my location? Can they drive themselves or are they dependent? What's their family support system like? Do they have major symptoms that they want to talk about? If they do have sx unrelated to cancer, then need to discuss how it's important to them and we'll come up with a plan for those but not something I can take care of at this moment (if applicable). Obviously major PMH stuff - previous RT, pregnancy status, pacemaker/AICD. all the other past medical/social/allergies/meds/family ihstory etc is done by nursing but I clarify important things as necessary.

Discuss historically that RT was 5-6 weeks. Sets the precedent that we are trying to go faster. Do physical exam as it determines comfortability for me for APBI vs WBI. Discuss APBI vs WBI. This is a huge time sink as patients think there's a catch of 30/5 vs 40-42.56 in 15-16, like there's some hidden reason they aren't getting 3 weeks of RT. If not a candidate for APBI, then say why not.

God forbid they're 65 or older, then gotta discuss consideration of omission of RT as it's just a LR benefit and not an OS benefit - try and figure out patient preference, are they balls to the wall about preventing recurrence, or are they "do the least possible that won't kill them" or are they somewhere in the middle. Discuss if they are going to omit RT really need to make sure they take their hormonal therapy even if it makes them feel like crap. Discuss the inevitable question about doing RT but skipping hormonal therapy - "we don't know explicitly in your age scenario, but it seems like it would be somewhat similar to do RT rather than hormonal therapy based on older studies that didn't separate out based on age, but in those studies combining therapy was still better than doing one or the other"

Discuss process of radiation including CT scan, immobilization technique, time from CT scan to start of treatment. Plan for dates and times for CT sim and start of tx. Talk about how RT doesn't feel like anything, feels like an x-ray or CT scan (depending on treatment technique)

Discuss side effects. Re-assure this is worst case scenario. Discuss late side effects, re-assure that most of these are rare. Answer questions. Ask if there are more questions. Sign consent if appropriate and patient willing to. Give cards to patient and visitor if present. Ask if there are more questions. Discuss that if there are future questions to just have patient/family member call my office.

How does going through all this get done in less than 35-40 minutes, while still having a conversation with the patient (and not doing a monologue where there's no space for the patient to ask a question)? I suppose it's possible.

Maybe folks are just way faster than I am. Maybe I massage the numbers a bit by asking patients about non-clinical stuff as noted above. Maybe given I'm not that busy I'm willing to just shoot the **** with patients if I'm not running aroung like a chicken with my head cut-off. Maybe I have the time to just let patients get all their questions out and answer them in a complete fashion, rather than having to rush them due to an overbooked clinic schedule as I did at times during residency - those things don't change the plan but it, IMO, makes patients feel more comfortable with their treatment option.

In fairness the one level 4 I billed based on time was an intact cutaneous skin cancer patient with dementia who couldn't really verbalize much so I mostly just spoke to the family member who was the POA.

Last edited:
  • Love
Just for debate purposes, b/c this a style issue and I'm certain there are patients that appreciate your substance and style.

I'm not diagnostic, so I don't "take a history". I do review the history and path, to try to make sure everything is concordant. 5 minutes.

If <65, there is no debate. Need RT. 3-4 weeks depending on pathology. If CT sim looks good, maybe 1 week, but presume 4 weeks, and anything less is gravy. If >65-70, same discussion, but almost always 3 weeks vs 1 week, but lean on the 1 week as a distinct possibility, mention that most people don't finish the pill and the studies don't reflect that. Also, explain that 10% recurrence will turn into 15% at 15 years. It's very nice of you to discuss historical context. Not my jam. It's 15-20 years old information. Standard of care is 3-4 weeks. No need to discuss CMF chemo, right? 5 minutes.

They have already seen a video on CT sim and nurse has already described the process, and I add some more details. 5 minutes.

Side effects. At consent, nurse re-explains the side effects - same thing I say, but repeat for emphasis. 5 minutes.

Many of these patients are seen in an MDC and I will see them in f/u in a few months and re-hash.

Even if the debate about whether or not to treat goes 10 minutes, Idk man. Could be that you're new and not busy, or just a style thing.

Everyone is different.

Well, I don't have a resident, and I've seen errors in other docs H&Ps, so I always, 100% of the time, confirm the important pieces of a history first. Now, in part because I am not that busy, if a patient wants to tell the story themselves, I usually let them (which is different than during a busy clinic day in residency). I'd say at minimum that's 5-15 minutes of the interaction, dependent on the patient.

Post-op early stage breast is one of the longer consults. Anything where there is an option and not a single right answer, is easily 35-40 mins face to face.

In history - was it a screening mammo or did patient feel a mass? When was previous mammo that was negative? Confirm the location as patient understands if unclear from clinic-obtained records/imaging. Where does patient live? How far is that from my location? Can they drive themselves or are they dependent? What's their family support system like? Do they have major symptoms that they want to talk about? If they do have sx unrelated to cancer, then need to discuss how it's important to them and we'll come up with a plan for those but not something I can take care of at this moment (if applicable). Obviously major PMH stuff - previous RT, pregnancy status, pacemaker/AICD. all the other past medical/social/allergies/meds/family ihstory etc is done by nursing but I clarify important things as necessary.

Discuss historically that RT was 5-6 weeks. Sets the precedent that we are trying to go faster. Do physical exam as it determines comfortability for me for APBI vs WBI. Discuss APBI vs WBI. This is a huge time sink as patients think there's a catch of 30/5 vs 40-42.56 in 15-16, like there's some hidden reason they aren't getting 3 weeks of RT. If not a candidate for APBI, then say why not.

God forbid they're 65 or older, then gotta discuss consideration of omission of RT as it's just a LR benefit and not an OS benefit - try and figure out patient preference, are they balls to the wall about preventing recurrence, or are they "do the least possible that won't kill them" or are they somewhere in the middle. Discuss if they are going to omit RT really need to make sure they take their hormonal therapy even if it makes them feel like crap. Discuss the inevitable question about doing RT but skipping hormonal therapy - "we don't know explicitly in your age scenario, but it seems like it would be somewhat similar to do RT rather than hormonal therapy based on older studies that didn't separate out based on age, but in those studies combining therapy was still better than doing one or the other"

Discuss process of radiation including CT scan, immobilization technique, time from CT scan to start of treatment. Plan for dates and times for CT sim and start of tx. Talk about how RT doesn't feel like anything, feels like an x-ray or CT scan (depending on treatment technique)

Discuss side effects. Re-assure this is worst case scenario. Discuss late side effects, re-assure that most of these are rare. Answer questions. Ask if there are more questions. Sign consent if appropriate and patient willing to. Give cards to patient and visitor if present. Ask if there are more questions. Discuss that if there are future questions to just have patient/family member call my office.

How does going through all this get done in less than 35-40 minutes, while still having a conversation with the patient (and not doing a monologue where there's no space for the patient to ask a question)? I suppose it's possible.

Maybe folks are just way faster than I am. Maybe I massage the numbers a bit by asking patients about non-clinical stuff as noted above. Maybe given I'm not that busy I'm willing to just shoot the **** with patients if I'm not running aroung like a chicken with my head cut-off. Maybe I have the time to just let patients get all their questions out and answer them in a complete fashion, rather than having to rush them due to an overbooked clinic schedule - that didn't change the plan but it, IMO, makes patients feel more comfortable with their treatment option.

In fairness the one level 4 I billed based on time was an intact cutaneous skin cancer patient with dementia who couldn't really verbalize much so I mostly just spoke to the family member who was the POA.

This is the part where I spend 5 minutes talking about Cherenkov radiation.

I could bill Level 5 just going down the Cherenkov radiation rabbit hole with every patient.

(also - because people can't understand jokes - this is a joke, I don't actually do this)

• Haha
Depending on your practice setting, consult time can be highly dependent upon the options you have available. When I am at our our community practice the one and only option for, say low risk prostate cancer, is conventional IMRT. It takes at most 10 min to talk about the fine details of EBRT and active surveillance. However, at main campus I can offer conventional IMRT, HDR brachytherapy, or SBRT. It takes a good bit longer to go over all of these options. That said, I still don't tend to spend more than 30(ish) minutes in those consults.

Maybe folks are just way faster than I am. Maybe I massage the numbers a bit by asking patients about non-clinical stuff as noted above. Maybe given I'm not that busy I'm willing to just shoot the **** with patients if I'm not running aroung like a chicken with my head cut-off. Maybe I have the time to just let patients get all their questions out and answer them in a complete fashion, rather than having to rush them due to an overbooked clinic schedule as I did at times during residency - those things don't change the plan but it, IMO, makes patients feel more comfortable with their treatment option.

I do things quite the same as you - it reflects well in the patient surveys and in their feelings about their care when compared to our medical oncology colleagues. Do it right the first time and patients should have confidence in you. I could certainly go faster. Sometimes I have to when it's very busy.

I'm seeing 3-4 consults and follow ups most days and always bill on time. It makes my templates easier. Don't think I'm fudging any numbers at all for my time-based billing. One day that may change, but I've been able to keep it up even as I've become the only MD at my center.

I just hope I can keep the same templates and same setup for this new billing...

Just for debate purposes, b/c this a style issue and I'm certain there are patients that appreciate your substance and style.

I'm not diagnostic, so I don't "take a history". I do review the history and path, to try to make sure everything is concordant. 5 minutes.

If <65, there is no debate. Need RT. 3-4 weeks depending on pathology. If CT sim looks good, maybe 1 week, but presume 4 weeks, and anything less is gravy. If >65-70, same discussion, but almost always 3 weeks vs 1 week, but lean on the 1 week as a distinct possibility, mention that most people don't finish the pill and the studies don't reflect that. Also, explain that 10% recurrence will turn into 15% at 15 years. It's very nice of you to discuss historical context. Not my jam. It's 15-20 years old information. Standard of care is 3-4 weeks. No need to discuss CMF chemo, right? 5 minutes.

They have already seen a video on CT sim and nurse has already described the process, and I add some more details. 5 minutes.

Side effects. At consent, nurse re-explains the side effects - same thing I say, but repeat for emphasis. 5 minutes.

Many of these patients are seen in an MDC and I will see them in f/u in a few months and re-hash.

Even if the debate about whether or not to treat goes 10 minutes, Idk man. Could be that you're new and not busy, or just a style thing.

Everyone is different.

Ah see, your support is much different than what I have. I don't have a video on CT sim and planning that they watch. I don't have a nurse I have confidence in to accurately describe the process of radiation. I go through side effects myself - I do not trust my nurses to accurately do that. I did all these things in residency, and while, if I had my own personal nurse who was very interested in Rad Onc and spending the time to learn each of these details, yes I could basically treat her as a faux-resident when it came to certain aspects of a consult. However, I do not have nurses like that. Nothing against them on an individual level, but they are not radiation oncology-specific nurses and I've never given them that responsibility, as I get a fair share of PRNs coming through the department.

Anyways, moving on - you're not offering APBI for early stage breast I presume? What does 'If CT sim looks good, maybe 1 week' mean? FAST-FORWARD? What does CT sim looking good have to do with whether to offer FAST-FORWARD or not?

I discuss historical context b/c it helps patients, in my relatively rural facilities where they frequently want treatments done ASAP, understand that I am looking out for them, at least somewhat. It's not like I'm discussing.

Also, if you're seeing them at MDC and aren't going to treat them forever, then yeah, it'll be a shorter consult - we did that too in residency. The folks I am seeing I am generally talking to about radiation and I'd be willing to start in the next 1-2 weeks. I don't see a ton of consults that are getting radiation at a later time point - sure, I see the prostates who choose AS or the LOLs w/ early stage breast who choose to omit RT, but I don't see the H&Ns pre-op or the breasts pre-op, so almost all of my patients fall into one of 2 groups: 1) treat, or 2) not treat ever, whereas during residency I remember seeing lots of consults for 3)"post-mastectomy breast, going to need chemotherapy, but talk about RT and then see back 3 months later to actually discuss"

But I can see how our levels of support may change how much work I have to do (and thus how long it takes) compared to what you need to do. If you can hit 5s with complexity routinely, then more power to you in 2021, although the new 99417 code that will be usable starting in 2021 will be off-limits to those who go by complexity.

When I did complexity based for the first month, I had coders downcoding my consults to 4s, if not 3s, which was unacceptable to me at 1 month in. Usually over judgment calls that I realized each individual coder would reach a sentence with a differing level of complexity. Thus I made it simple - time statement, bill on time, all 5s (with a few 4s for really short consults) since then.

Depending on your practice setting, consult time can be highly dependent upon the options you have available. When I am at our our community practice the one and only option for, say low risk prostate cancer, is conventional IMRT. It takes at most 10 min to talk about the fine details of EBRT and active surveillance. However, at main campus I can offer conventional IMRT, HDR brachytherapy, or SBRT. It takes a good bit longer to go over all of these options. That said, I still don't tend to spend more than 30(ish) minutes in those consults.

Just because I personally don't offer a specific therapy doesn't mean I don't discuss it as an option for the patient, if I'm aware of a place I can refer them out to. I've referred prostate patients out for brachytherapy from my community satellite. I've discussed sending patients to colleagues just for spaceOAR and fiducials and then having them come back for SBRT

I spend the most amount of time by far on h&n patients, lots of moving parts and issues, often I'm seeing them first, sending to med onc, sending to surgeon for port/peg, making sure they see a dentist etc

Ah see, your support is much different than what I have. I don't have a video on CT sim and planning that they watch. I don't have a nurse I have confidence in to accurately describe the process of radiation. I go through side effects myself - I do not trust my nurses to accurately do that. I did all these things in residency, and while, if I had my own personal nurse who was very interested in Rad Onc and spending the time to learn each of these details, yes I could basically treat her as a faux-resident when it came to certain aspects of a consult. However, I do not have nurses like that. Nothing against them on an individual level, but they are not radiation oncology-specific nurses and I've never given them that responsibility, as I get a fair share of PRNs coming through the department.

Anyways, moving on - you're not offering APBI for early stage breast I presume? What does 'If CT sim looks good, maybe 1 week' mean? FAST-FORWARD? What does CT sim looking good have to do with whether to offer FAST-FORWARD or not?

I discuss historical context b/c it helps patients, in my relatively rural facilities where they frequently want treatments done ASAP, understand that I am looking out for them, at least somewhat. It's not like I'm discussing.

Also, if you're seeing them at MDC and aren't going to treat them forever, then yeah, it'll be a shorter consult - we did that too in residency. The folks I am seeing I am generally talking to about radiation and I'd be willing to start in the next 1-2 weeks. I don't see a ton of consults that are getting radiation at a later time point - sure, I see the prostates who choose AS or the LOLs w/ early stage breast who choose to omit RT, but I don't see the H&Ns pre-op or the breasts pre-op, so almost all of my patients fall into one of 2 groups: 1) treat, or 2) not treat ever, whereas during residency I remember seeing lots of consults for 3)"post-mastectomy breast, going to need chemotherapy, but talk about RT and then see back 3 months later to actually discuss"

But I can see how our levels of support may change how much work I have to do (and thus how long it takes) compared to what you need to do. If you can hit 5s with complexity routinely, then more power to you in 2021, although the new 99417 code that will be usable starting in 2021 will be off-limits to those who go by complexity.

When I did complexity based for the first month, I had coders downcoding my consults to 4s, if not 3s, which was unacceptable to me at 1 month in. Usually over judgment calls that I realized each individual coder would reach a sentence with a differing level of complexity. Thus I made it simple - time statement, bill on time, all 5s (with a few 4s for really short consults) since then.

I certainly offer APBI for early stage breast. The evidence I use for it is Livi, et. al. There is no difference in recurrence rate or pattern, thus, I may go over it in a small way ("sometimes we treat less of the breast, if we can identify where the cancer used to be"), but I am not sure (and I truly mean that I am uncertain) that the extra level of detail helps the patient in a meaningful way. In fact, if they have a recurrence, even if it is in-field, it is going to be "doctor didn't treat the whole breast". In either case we are treating at risk breast tissue. If you do heart blocks, if you do 95% to 95%, you are doing 'partial breast', kinda). Plus, with VMAT, the whole breast parenchyma is getting some radiation and SCARB SCARB SCARB SCARB ... you know what I'm saying. So, what I say is, "when I do the CT, if I can see the clips and where the cancer used to be well, I may just treat a smaller area, because it doesn't appear to change the cancer outcome in any meaningful way". That's what the CT has to do with it. It's a style thing, and one should probably 'prospectively' decide what technique they want to use, but I find that when I say "definitely APBI", those are the ones at sim I see an issue.

I do a lot of tele and I rarely bill at a high level, to my detriment.

Style points. Keep being Evil!!

• Haha
Everyone has a different style. I find it most efficient to have my nurses or NP prepare my HPI a day or 2 prior to consult, I double check info and look at images prior to walking into room, and then give very specific HPI to patient and have them confirm accuracy of info. Usually they are very happy to not have to repeat whole history again and appreciate and have a sense of confidence that I already know whole story. I used to spend 45-60 minutes with consults when I started practice, but rarely spend more than 30 minutes now. Patient satisfaction scores have not been adversely effected over my career, they’re always high and actually go up a little every year.

If I'm meeting a patient for the first time, I always spend at least 30-40 minutes with them during the consult. Even on busy days. I like to get to know them and get a rapport with them.

Follow up patients with a new bone met or something? That's a 5 minute visit because they know me and I know them.

I certainly offer APBI for early stage breast. The evidence I use for it is Livi, et. al. There is no difference in recurrence rate or pattern, thus, I may go over it in a small way ("sometimes we treat less of the breast, if we can identify where the cancer used to be"), but I am not sure (and I truly mean that I am uncertain) that the extra level of detail helps the patient in a meaningful way. In fact, if they have a recurrence, even if it is in-field, it is going to be "doctor didn't treat the whole breast". In either case we are treating at risk breast tissue. If you do heart blocks, if you do 95% to 95%, you are doing 'partial breast', kinda). Plus, with VMAT, the whole breast parenchyma is getting some radiation and SCARB SCARB SCARB SCARB ... you know what I'm saying. So, what I say is, "when I do the CT, if I can see the clips and where the cancer used to be well, I may just treat a smaller area, because it doesn't appear to change the cancer outcome in any meaningful way". That's what the CT has to do with it. It's a style thing, and one should probably 'prospectively' decide what technique they want to use, but I find that when I say "definitely APBI", those are the ones at sim I see an issue.

I do a lot of tele and I rarely bill at a high level, to my detriment.

Style points. Keep being Evil!!

Ah, fair enough. I get where you're coming from, although I do try to discuss the decision-making prospectively. I see where you're coming from in terms of whether it matters or not.

Again, just a style decision, but I try to make feel patient that they are making a decision (if there are various options to choose from) in terms of driving their care at initial visit.

Obviously the simplest is to just dictate a "time spent" note at the end.

Is there a good cancer-specific billing resource here?

Or is it as simple as a new cancer patient meets a 99205 AMA criteria for "1 acute illness that poses a threat to life," you review their tests/documents/path (like we always would), you reviewed their images (like you always would), then you rec'd radiation?

1608156059058.png

Obviously the simplest is to just dictate a "time spent" note at the end.

Is there a good cancer-specific billing resource here?

Or is it as simple as a new cancer patient meets a 99205 AMA criteria for "1 acute illness that poses a threat to life," you review their tests/documents/path (like we always would), you reviewed their images (like you always would), then you rec'd radiation?

View attachment 325203

It really is that simple. New (to you) life threatening problem (like cancer), check. Review the CT scan images yourself and 2 labs and the referring doctor's note. check.
Boom, level 5

Talking to my partners, i find that they likely under code, as many visits, even for non life threatening things end up as higher level care based on workup and data reviewed. A common example for me is a new BPH patient. Not an acute or life threatening issue so many think it would be a 3 or 4.

But if you look at the chart, it's higher. New problem that I'm going to work up, so that support a 5. If I review a CT scan and 3 labs or CT scan, labs, and notes, thats the highest score for data, which supports a 5. Now even I recommend obs (level 2 for risk) or meds (level 4 for risk) the visit is a level 5 because it only takes 2/3. Basically I finds that if its a new patient, if there is imaging to review (that should be reviewed) it's a five, most others end up as a 3 or 4 unless its a life threatening issue.

Last edited:
XXX.

It's new, too. About 0.6 RVUs. It's like "level 5+," I guess. ASTRO says they "expect" rad oncs to use this code.

99XXX

Agree with DoctwoB. I'm surprised how many of you all bill based on time. Most every consult I have is complex based on standard H&P, looking at the imaging, labs, pathology, and discussing radiation vs other treatment options or observation. This usually takes less than half an hour face to face so I don't bill by time.

Follow ups usually end up being level 4 if they have images to review. Level 3 if not and doing fine.

Post-op early stage breast is one of the longer consults. Anything where there is an option and not a single right answer, is easily 35-40 mins face to face, IMO. Bone met, sure could be faster. Brain met, gotta discuss WBRT vs SRS +/- surgery. pre-op rectal has a huge difference in two very good tx options - and gotta discuss sequencing of chemotherapy. Early stage lung - discuss why they aren't a surgical candidate, talk about historical RT. Definitive lung - why don't patients require surgery?

Getting back to post-op early stage breast, just so folks can see my thought process here:

I'd like for you to save this post and come back to it in a few years and notice how it changes. I'll just put it this way- your description is how most of us start out, but certainly not end up...

Reactions: 5 users
Agree with DoctwoB. I'm surprised how many of you all bill based on time. Most every consult I have is complex based on standard H&P, looking at the imaging, labs, pathology, and discussing radiation vs other treatment options or observation. This usually takes less than half an hour face to face so I don't bill by time.

Follow ups usually end up being level 4 if they have images to review. Level 3 if not and doing fine.
I bill on time spent because my billing person told me to put it in. I agree with you 100% but if I don’t do what she says, I get hounded and harassed. I rarely ever spend more than 30 min with a patient to get all the information I need from them and our satisfaction score are always in the 99 percentile.

I would like to take all the credit for that but my staff helps in making that all possible. Maybe my patients just like it when I’m direct and thorough and able to “cut to the chase.” Maybe I look great with my mask on like the mandolorian, who knows why?

Also, anybody who has completed residency over the past 10-15 years has been taught to document at a level 4-5. All of my notes could be billed as 5’s based off the information but I tend to go lower these days due to that “time spent with patient” part. Do I keep a clock nearby to the exact minute... hellz no!

Last edited:
  • Haha
I'd like for you to save this post and come back to it in a few years and notice how it changes. I'll just put it this way- your description is how most of us start out, but certainly not end up...

I'll try to remember to report back in 5 years! Again, I would bill complexity if I consistently could properly - my coders continually changed my codes to a lower level of service and I could not get a straight answer from them on an individual consult basis why things were undercoded, just based on their overall 'gestalt'.

Of course I am cognizant that what is easiest for me may not be what is easiest for everybody. To each their own.

My time based billing is more of an insurance policy if for some reason coding does not recognize my note as "complex enough" to bill for the appropriate level. I should be good based on both.

We see cancer patients. Most every consult should be a 5, follow ups with imaging or scope should be 4, and others can be 3. That should cover most things.

Yep 7% get away with it. About the same percentage bills daily IGRT on bone mets.

• Haha
Yep 7% get away with it. About the same percentage bills daily IGRT on bone mets.
What's wrong with that? Evicore fine with it too if pt obese, had previous RT nearby etc.

Imaging the target daily, crazy idea i know

(disclaimer: I've been a long time proponent of site neutral bundled payments).

Had to use CBCT on a guy today, couldn’t see didly with KV/MV. I definitely would have been shooting in the dark with him.

I would wager that the percentage of people billing daily IGRT for bone mets is much, much higher than 7%.

I was saying 7% always orders daily IGRT on bone mets

That site has awesome links. check if your Chairman is secretly holding FL license: