2021 new grad salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not too concerned about my loans. I can pay it off right now but I'm waiting where Biden is going to do in the next few months. I continued to pay the bare minimum at the moment. Additionally, thank god for zero free interest
I am paying the bare minimum as well. I think having massive loans is almost an asset with inflation coming. The value of the dollar will decline faster then the static interest rates on my loans.

$175,839.26
Current Balance

The break down:

Graduate PLUS LoansU.S. DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION ()Balance $52,341.15​

In repayment

Stafford LoansU.S. DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION ()Balance $123,498.11​

In repayment

The break down:
Direct Unsubsidized Stafford
$43,799.38 Regular Interest rate 5.310%

$42,432.38 Regular Interest rate 6.000%

$37,266.35 Regular Interest rate 6.600%

Direct Grad PLUS
$8,475.72 Regular Interest Rate: 6.310%

Direct Grad PLUS
$22,014.21 Regular Interest Rate: 7.000%

Direct Grad PLUS
$21,851.22 Regular Interest Rate: 7.600%

how big are your loans? Also does anyone know if these are dynamic variable rates or static rates? bc i'm hoping they are static Also are these loans compounded yearly or monthly. I'm hoping yearly.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am paying the bare minimum as well. I think having massive loans is almost an asset with inflation coming. The value of the dollar will decline faster then the static interest rates on my loans.

$175,839.26
Current Balance

The break down:

Graduate PLUS LoansU.S. DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION ()Balance $52,341.15​

In repayment

Stafford LoansU.S. DEPARTMENT OF EDUCATION ()Balance $123,498.11​

In repayment

The break down:
$43,799.38 Regular Interest rate 5.310%

$42,432.38 Regular Interest rate 6.000%

$37,266.35 Regular Interest rate 6.600%

Direct Grad PLUS
$8,475.72 Regular Interest Rate: 6.310%

Direct Grad PLUS
$22,014.21 Regular Interest Rate: 7.000%

Direct Grad PLUS
$21,851.22 Regular Interest Rate: 7.600%

how big are your loans? Also does anyone know if these are dynamic variable rates or static rates? bc i'm hoping they are static Also are these loans compounded yearly or monthly. I'm hoping yearly.
$136,507.68. What school did you go to? If I completely pay it off today, total would be $228K with interest

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That's a lot of PLUS loans... Why so many loans for living expenses? Those should be fixed rates though.

That's a lot of PLUS loans... Why so many loans for living expenses? Those should be fixed rates though.
Yeah i'm not sure. It doesn't make since to me why the 2nd and 3rd years were more than twice as expensive as the first year on my plus loans. I don't remember moving to a mansion for my 2nd and third years X.x

Walgreens offered someone I know 44 or 45, and that pharmacist has years of experience. I know for a fact some temp companies are offering some 13 week positions with weekly rates that equate to $25 an hour. I was shocked.

Only way it's that low is if it was one of the few Walgreens offering a sign on bonus. Every once in a while a store will pop up with one of these sign on bonus positions and usually the hourly pay is lower. Currently PHX has 2 Walgreens doing this.

I'm pretty familiar with the market as I have friends in recruiting for a few companies and 42-47 is not accurate. Low-ball in AZ is typically 50 for something like CVS Caremark or a few other PBM and up from there for retail. Pillpack new grades were 115,000 salary with a sign on bonus but that's just to cover for their mandatory OT at zero pay.

Market is active here, there are lots of positions in retail and specialty although some may be undesired companies. The jobs are still there. Walgreens is closing some stores early because they don't even have the pharmacists to cover the shifts.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
These surveys are just like gambling or stock/crypto winnings. Everyone likes to brag when they win (get a job), but no one tells you about their losses (unemployed).
Getting a job at mega chain retail doesn't really qualify as a win. I guess it would be for those having to repay 200k+ for their doctorate lol

Reactions: 2 users
For new grad, yes it sucks. You guys just have to suck it up for a few years. For seasoned RPh, not so bad, there are still good jobs out there.

Only way it's that low is if it was one of the few Walgreens offering a sign on bonus. Every once in a while a store will pop up with one of these sign on bonus positions and usually the hourly pay is lower. Currently PHX has 2 Walgreens doing this.

I'm pretty familiar with the market as I have friends in recruiting for a few companies and 42-47 is not accurate. Low-ball in AZ is typically 50 for something like CVS Caremark or a few other PBM and up from there for retail. Pillpack new grades were 115,000 salary with a sign on bonus but that's just to cover for their mandatory OT at zero pay.

Market is active here, there are lots of positions in retail and specialty although some may be undesired companies. The jobs are still there. Walgreens is closing some stores early because they don't even have the pharmacists to cover the
Hi what states are your recruiters located ? I have 5 years of experience as an Rph and just got offered in Walgreens $45/hour in NC no sign on bonus, $15/hour less then I was making couple of month ago at my previous job .

Hi what states are your recruiters located ? I have 5 years of experience as an Rph and just got offered in Walgreens $45/hour in NC no sign on bonus, $15/hour less then I was making couple of month ago at my previous job .
NC is that low??? ugh - I used to moonlight for wags in NC for $60 an hour roughly 10 years ago

Travel RN's that work in the ED, ICU's or on Covid floors are pulling in $4k a WEEK at my hospital. The one's that work on general med/surg floors are getting $60 an hour.

Travel RN's that work in the ED, ICU's or on Covid floors are pulling in $4k a WEEK at my hospital. The one's that work on general med/surg floors are getting $60 an hour.
lol no amount Money is worth working as nurse especially in COVID unit.

Dude, I was working as a RN on a MedSurg floor and it was rough. $60/hr is nice but think about all the PPE you have to put on and all the body fluids you are exposed to...!!!

Market is active here, there are lots of positions in retail and specialty although some may be undesired companies. The jobs are still there. Walgreens is closing some stores early because they don't even have the pharmacists to cover the shifts.
Sorry. But you're wrong. I have no reason to lie on this thread. I was offered 47/hour and they wouldn't budge on the salary. You are correct in saying that they can't find people to cover shifts. But, I believe that's because many feel it's not worth it to pick up extra shifts when Walgreens no longer pays any over time as of recently. The market is active in contract pharmacist positions. Walmart I have heard, still pays well, but for how long (And, that person is working a contract job with Walmart, lol)?

I might be looking in the wrong place, but the ads that pop up on indeed are the same ones that pop up every few months or so and most of the ads are for contract positions.

I had a higher up tell me it looks like the market in AZ isn't saturated (I guess cause they can't fill shifts) But, lol common, if that were the case why would the salary be so low? It's Econ 101 guys, lol! If they really wanted to fill those positions, all they would have to do is increase the salary to where it used to be in Arizona (which is about 10 dollars more than what you would get on the east coast). Now, the salaries are what you get on the east coast. I had a friend that worked for Walgreens years ago in 2014 tell me that Walgreens is looking to pay new grads 45/hour. I didn't believe her. LOL, let me tell you she was 100% accurate.

I have no reason to lie on this thread.

Reactions: 2 users
Dude, I was working as a RN on a MedSurg floor and it was rough. $60/hr is nice but think about all the PPE you have to put on and all the body fluids you are exposed to...!!!
I can imagine its awful. One of the pharmacists that I worked with at my previous hospital was a former ICU nurse at a level 1 trauma hospital. She said she had to get out.

Sorry. But you're wrong. I have no reason to lie on this thread. I was offered 47/hour and they wouldn't budge on the salary. You are correct in saying that they can't find people to cover shifts. But, I believe that's because many feel it's not worth it to pick up extra shifts when Walgreens no longer pays any over time as of recently. The market is active in contract pharmacist positions. Walmart I have heard, still pays well, but for how long (And, that person is working a contract job with Walmart, lol)?
Definitely fits with what my AZ friends have told me. Last offer that I heard about was $45 just outside Phoenix.

I might be looking in the wrong place, but the ads that pop up on indeed are the same ones that pop up every few months or so and most of the ads are for contract positions.

I had a higher up tell me it looks like the market in AZ isn't saturated (I guess cause they can't fill shifts) But, lol common, if that were the case why would the salary be so low? It's Econ 101 guys, lol! If they really wanted to fill those positions, all they would have to do is increase the salary to where it used to be in Arizona (which is about 10 dollars more than what you would get on the east coast). Now, the salaries are what you get on the east coast. I had a friend that worked for Walgreens years ago in 2014 tell me that Walgreens is looking to pay new grads 45/hour. I didn't believe her. LOL, let me tell you she was 100% accurate.

Fits what I heard. 47$ in Philly last September is what I heard. Happy healthy, 64 hours.

I would think CRNA is the way to go.
CRNA potential earning is definitely attractive. However, just like any career, it is not easy to get there. First you need a few years of ICU experience to be competitive for CRNA program. Well, to be ICU RN, you probably need to work MedSurg first (new grad RN is unlikely to start in ICU. It is possible but it is rare). Now, when you finally become a CRNA, you will face competition from...anesthesiologists !! High paying job in metropolitan area (where most of the anesthesiologists want to live), probably very hard to get. I didn't want to compete with those MD, and so I chose pharmacy hehe.

I got curious to see WAG offering sign on bonuses for livable cities like Louisville, Tulsa, Colorado Springs, and Denver. I recently interviewed for Louisville. Staff was just shy of $98K (around 47/hr) and the HCS was willing to offer me their RXM max of 118K. Sign on was only $15K for 2 years for staff with $10K net in relocation. RxM was $25K. She was willing to hire me right then and there, but the sign on was too low for me.

For new grad, yes it sucks. You guys just have to suck it up for a few years. For seasoned RPh, not so bad, there are still good jobs out there.

New grads have to suck it up the rest of their careers. With little to no raises or bonuses each year, they will never match the high salary that grandfathered pharmacists are currently making.

CRNA potential earning is definitely attractive. However, just like any career, it is not easy to get there. First you need a few years of ICU experience to be competitive for CRNA program. Well, to be ICU RN, you probably need to work MedSurg first (new grad RN is unlikely to start in ICU. It is possible but it is rare). Now, when you finally become a CRNA, you will face competition from...anesthesiologists !! High paying job in metropolitan area (where most of the anesthesiologists want to live), probably very hard to get. I didn't want to compete with those MD, and so I chose pharmacy hehe.

Pharmacists generally cringe at the sight of blood. I can't imagine many pharmacists able to stay in an operating room all day, responsible for keeping a person alive for every case. A lot of these patients are morbidly obese and take hard street drugs. We get PTSD from hearing "one pharmacy call" everyday. I can't imagine the stress that happens in the operating room.